Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

9 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

spacer.pngThese Fondant potatoes are great. Had them with a Mississippi pot roast on Sunday.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233295/fondant-potatoes/

I'm a big fan of Chef John's recipes.  I used his recipe for Avocado Tomatillo Salsa the other day....

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/06/avocado-tomatillo-salsa-simple-green.html

PXL_20230408_173539024.thumb.jpg.adec5236aba407b9d30b0298159f56f6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

I want to make green beans like they have at The Pit Room in Houston.  Do you guys think they par cook their green beans then finish them on the flat top or just cook them the whole way on the flat top?  

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-pit-room-houston?select=CFxBdS3Pm4oSMGisOhCPBA

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-pit-room-houston?select=Emz_4k5vFPIfvIm4DHATqA

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife makes green beans that look identical to those. She cooks them in boiling water with butter, S&P, chopped garlic and chopped onion. When they get cooked, she puts them in an ice bath, dumps the cooking water and puts the green beans back in the hot Dutch oven and adds more of the same seasonings above. The Dutch oven is still warm from the boiling water but she doesn’t add heat to the pot. That make sense?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Pretty easy.  Salt and pepper some bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and sear skin down in a cast iron skillet in a bit of olive oil on medium heat for about 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine a mixture of 1 lb halved small Yukon gold or fingerling potatoes, tsp. oregano, two minced garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, pepper, and 10 pepperoncinis.  Once the thighs are browned, turn over skin side up, and nestle the potato mixture between the thighs, and then put half a cup of the pepperoncini brine in the skillet.  Bake in the oven at 425 for about 40 minutes.  Then take the chicken out of the skillet and cook the potatoes in the chicken drippings on high heat for about 4 minutes to get them nice and golden.  Take the skillet off the heat, add the chicken back in, and then add 2-3 stalks of finely chopped celery, half a red onion thinly sliced, and parsley.

Got the recipe from Bon Appetit and made it last night for the first time.  It slammed hard.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 12:09 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Garlic-her crust leg of lamb (cooked indirect on the grill), crispy roast potatoes, asparagus, tzatziki. One week late for Lamb Easter but still did it for me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c56f9c74af80d53246c162119ad67510.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.169c89ea9cbe4a17d8985991668579cf.jpeg

Everything looks good but the potatoes look incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pretty easy.  Salt and pepper some bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and sear skin down in a cast iron skillet in a bit of olive oil on medium heat for about 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine a mixture of 1 lb halved small Yukon gold or fingerling potatoes, tsp. oregano, two minced garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, pepper, and 10 pepperoncinis.  Once the thighs are browned, turn over skin side up, and nestle the potato mixture between the thighs, and then put half a cup of the pepperoncini brine in the skillet.  Bake in the oven at 425 for about 40 minutes.  Then take the chicken out of the skillet and cook the potatoes in the chicken drippings on high heat for about 4 minutes to get them nice and golden.  Take the skillet off the heat, add the chicken back in, and then add 2-3 stalks of finely chopped celery, half a red onion thinly sliced, and parsley.
Got the recipe from Bon Appetit and made it last night for the first time.  It slammed hard.

I have made similar to this but I use chopped pepperocini, and do the ranch dressing mix like Mississippi pot roast. I usually make a quick version with pulled rotisserie chicken and add lemon, parsley, Kara mats olives and capers.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, BHMCruiser said:

Everything looks good but the potatoes look incredible.

When I want really good potatoes, I use the British Sunday roast style. Parboil the chunks of potato in salted water till just a bit tender, then shake the drained pieces around in a colander with about a teaspoon or a bit more of flour. You don’t want to coat them, just dust them and really rough up the exterior of the potato. 

Then you roast them for the last 40 minutes or so in the same pan as the meat, or a separate dish or sheet that’s got some hot oil or fat (duck/goose fat is the absolute best). Stir them around once with a metal spatula ať about the halfway mark. And just some salt, although you can add other stuff.  

The real key is the parboiling and roughing up, that makes a super crisp exterior and soft interior. 

It’s more work but worth it if you got a big, expensive piece of meat. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Anybody hit chicken or pork with baking soda 15 minutes before cooking.  I was reading an Asian garlic chicken recipe the other day and they were using it as a meat tenderizer.  It gets rinsed off or mixed in a water solution and rinsed.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, RMac5 said:

My wife makes green beans that look identical to those. She cooks them in boiling water with butter, S&P, chopped garlic and chopped onion. When they get cooked, she puts them in an ice bath, dumps the cooking water and puts the green beans back in the hot Dutch oven and adds more of the same seasonings above. The Dutch oven is still warm from the boiling water but she doesn’t add heat to the pot. That make sense?

I just fry them in oil. S&p when they are cooling over a paper towel. Doesn't take long. Maybe 90 seconds. Crispy burnt goodness on the outside and snappy freshness on the inside. 

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Anybody hit chicken or pork with baking soda 15 minutes before cooking.  I was reading an Asian garlic chicken recipe the other day and they were using it as a meat tenderizer.  It gets rinsed off or mixed in a water solution and rinsed.

Chinese restaurants and other stir-fry styles of cooking do this, it’s called “velveting.” A marinade of some cornstarch and water will also work, then do a quick “pre-cook” in oil or even a fast parboil.  You can’t get the crazy high heat of a wok in an industrial kitchen but you can do this to get closer to restaurant stir-fry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have never really had a reason to tenderize chicken or pork or beef for that matter.

It’s not as much the tenderizing as all the retained moisture and a different texture. If you really want to recreate the Chinese restaurant taste and texture at home, that’s how to do it. Try it and you’ll realize it’s exactly what has been missing, there’s really not a good way to keep (especially white meat) chicken from drying out in a stir-fry without drowning and basically boiling it in the pan. But it’s also what you’d be missing if you tried your own Mongolian beef or some pork dish at home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s not as much the tenderizing as all the retained moisture and a different texture. If you really want to recreate the Chinese restaurant taste and texture at home, that’s how to do it. Try it and you’ll realize it’s exactly what has been missing, there’s really not a good way to keep (especially white meat) chicken from drying out in a stir-fry without drowning and basically boiling it in the pan. But it’s also what you’d be missing if you tried your own Mongolian beef or some pork dish at home. 

You know every time I want to make a chinese dish I realize I need $40 or $50 worth of ingredients that I will use twice a year.

Fortunately I have several good take outs near me.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

When I want really good potatoes, I use the British Sunday roast style. Parboil the chunks of potato in salted water till just a bit tender, then shake the drained pieces around in a colander with about a teaspoon or a bit more of flour. You don’t want to coat them, just dust them and really rough up the exterior of the potato. 
Then you roast them for the last 40 minutes or so in the same pan as the meat, or a separate dish or sheet that’s got some hot oil or fat (duck/goose fat is the absolute best). Stir them around once with a metal spatula ať about the halfway mark. And just some salt, although you can add other stuff.  
The real key is the parboiling and roughing up, that makes a super crisp exterior and soft interior. 
It’s more work but worth it if you got a big, expensive piece of meat. 

IMO, greek style lemon potatoes are pretty fucking hard to beat. I don't know about all that anglophile parboiling shit. It all sounds right, but some potatoes cooked in chicken stock and lemon juice just excels and is very simple. 

A basic recipe: https://simply-delicious-food.com/greek-lemon-potatoes/

Stock photo:

Greek-lemon-potatoes-3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Solid Greek food restaurant in the Montrose area (and some branch locations) of Houston.

After looking at their menu looks like a caricature in line with Trudy's or Taco Bueno or whatever strip mall shit.   

image.thumb.png.77797a5c87b7da87ec836d34c7b7b065.png

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

After looking at their menu looks like a caricature in line with Trudy's or Taco Bueno.   

image.thumb.png.77797a5c87b7da87ec836d34c7b7b065.png

I haven't eaten there in more than 20 years.  It seemed good at the time.  It wasn't complicated.  Most of the Greek places I've enjoyed have seemed to keep it simple though.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

IMO, greek style lemon potatoes are pretty fucking hard to beat. I don't know about all that anglophile parboiling shit. It all sounds right, but some potatoes cooked in chicken stock and lemon juice just excels and is very simple. 

A basic recipe: https://simply-delicious-food.com/greek-lemon-potatoes/

Stock photo:

Greek-lemon-potatoes-3.jpg

Greek potatoes are really good but if I steal one thing from their Easter table, it’s kokoretsi. Beyond my home ability though. 

English roasties are superb. Sitting down to an English Sunday roast is when you realize you’ve been lied to about English food being bad. 

• Like 1

It’s really not worth arguing about. English Sunday dinner roaster, Greek lemon taters, a well made roasted spud is hard to beat. My wife does the Greek lemon trick but then rolls them in Parmesan and returns them under high heat till the cheese crusts up. I will parboil red potatoes and onion in broth and crab boil then drain and throw in the oven til crispy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s really not worth arguing about.

It’s all in good fun man. We’re talking potatoes. Potatoes.  Not protein. Potatoes. 

Meal looked 💯including the spuds. But if you are going to parboil them, why not do it in stock at least. Maybe I just don’t understand the British culinary style. 

• Like 1

It’s all in good fun man. We’re talking potatoes. Potatoes.  Not protein. Potatoes. 

Meal looked including the spuds. But if you are going to parboil them, why not do it in stock at least. Maybe I just don’t understand the British culinary style. 

Most Brits cook them in beef suet. Makes a tasty crispy tater. Along with the Yorkshire puddings. Those will knock your dick in a ditch. I think cooking them in bacon fat would be a good variant.
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 12:28 AM, Anastasis said:

Meal looked 💯including the spuds. But if you are going to parboil them, why not do it in stock at least. Maybe I just don’t understand the British culinary style. 

I’ve never thought about using stock. Now you’ve intrigued me. 

The parboiling is so you can then shake the potatoes around in the colander and break down all the cellulose on the outside, and then when they hit the hot oil, you get that amazing crisp crunchy exterior. There’s no real shortcut to it, I’ve tried. You can get the same effect by just plunging them directly into the roasting pan if you’re roasting meat indoors. 

• Hook 'Em 1