Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 12/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, Jack Straw said:

i2m-Su-Xu-XSoa5ou-Fhvz9-Z9g.jpg

laying out the goods for my take on the Big Night Timpano

3 lbs ziti, 6 sheets of pasta, homemade pork and beef meatballs, 4 kinds of salami cubed, cubed sharp provolone, a dozen hard boiled eggs, all-day ragu made with country pork ribs, beef stew meat, and sweet italian sausage, lots of pecorino romano, mozzarella balls, and the timpani drum

fullsizeoutput-2635.jpg

prepping the timpani

IMG-3555.jpg

IMG-3558.jpg

filled with all the stuff

fullsizeoutput-2634.jpg

96h-ZDFSTQli8t-ZFy34-t8-Q.jpg

out of the oven

3xhuo-Yw9-Rny-Alabgk0-Evz-Q.jpg

money 

it's official, you've gone mad...

• Like 1

Final entry in the meat filled pastries category.

1.5# pork tenderloin, cut into small pieces
2 bunch green onion, 1 bunch of parsley
~1.5 cup dry white wine/apple cider vinegar mix, range the proportion based on how sour you want the pie. I do half and half.
salt/pepper

Marinate overnight, drain liquid, cook in pie crust @ 375 for 45m to 1h. Can add a spoon of flour to the filling to thicken if desired.

AB9-D85-FF-E621-4-AA4-BEFC-62-FE666-DDFB

91-E07081-2-B4-A-411-F-985-A-E38237-E8-B

222-AF9-C9-E868-47-E7-B755-3-B3-A2344855

297-B78-B6-2-F9-C-4283-8-E2-D-0476091-C3

39-F3-B2-EF-E767-4-CEA-87-D2-4-E371-CC46

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Final entry in the meat filled pastries category.

1.5# pork tenderloin, cut into small pieces
2 bunch green onion, 1 bunch of parsley
~1.5 cup dry white wine/apple cider vinegar mix, range the proportion based on how sour you want the pie. I do half and half.
salt/pepper

Marinate overnight, drain liquid, cook in pie crust @ 375 for 45m to 1h. Can add a spoon of flour to the filling to thicken if desired.

AB9-D85-FF-E621-4-AA4-BEFC-62-FE666-DDFB

91-E07081-2-B4-A-411-F-985-A-E38237-E8-B

222-AF9-C9-E868-47-E7-B755-3-B3-A2344855

297-B78-B6-2-F9-C-4283-8-E2-D-0476091-C3

39-F3-B2-EF-E767-4-CEA-87-D2-4-E371-CC46

Damn.  I’d murder that for sure.  

That carbonara looks great.  I made some last week and it sucked -- I have no idea how salted water, bacon, and parmesan cheese lead to an undersalted dish, but it did.

I've always had good luck with it, it's pretty simple, but for some reason I screwed that one up.

Got any leftovers?

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That carbonara looks great.  I made some last week and it sucked -- I have no idea how salted water, bacon, and parmesan cheese lead to an undersalted dish, but it did.

I've always had good luck with it, it's pretty simple, but for some reason I screwed that one up.

Got any leftovers?

I do parmesan, egg yolk, and heavy cream for the sauce.  Sauté bacon and onions separate and combine once noodles are strained.  Turns out pretty good!  I’ll normally poach an egg on top but got lazy after all the cooking.  

Did some stewed pork loin Mexican style.

Currently chilling in the warm oven while I reduce the drippings/sauce

20190105-220850.jpg

Will post final result. Going to do it over rice with some fresh Avacado.

(Yes I know my stove is filthy I'm a degenerate bachelor)

Edited by ztejas

Did some air fryer wings and made Pioneer Woman’s crash potatoes to go with the wings. If you haven’t made these potatoes do it soon. They’re fantastic.  Will add photos tomorrow. Imgur and iPad don’t like each other  

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Looks fantastic!

Did you use just the egg white or whole egg?

Recipe called for whole eggs, three of them. 

8oz pancetta, 3 gloves garlic, 3 eggs, 3oz grated Parmesan (plus some to garnish), 1lb pasta, 1t black pepper. 

1. Cook pasta in salted water, reserving ~ 1c of the water.  

2. Brown the pancetta in a sauté pan, with the garlic (lacking a sauté pan, I used a pot.)

3. Beat eggs in a bowl, then mix in cheese & pepper. 

4. Strain the pasta & mix in with the pancetta. Add in a splash of the pasta water. 

5. Stir in the egg & cheese, tossing till coated. Being a tad paranoid about raw egg, I turned the gas back on to med while stirring. Add more of the pasta water as needed to get the sauce the consistency you want. I noticed the sauce thickened a bit after a minute or so  

Brief aside: My Christmas gift was a professional gas cooktop, and holy #%*+ what a difference gas makes over electric glass cooktops. So much easier to get better results. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

Had some time today so I cranked out some pork tacos with "Borracho" black beans and potatoes.  I honestly don't remember what cut the pork was -- I think a sirloin roast.  I was worried I was going to dry it out but it was fantastic.  I roasted tomatillos along with poblano, Anaheim and jalapeno peppers, and blended them with cilantro and garlic.  Sauteed some onions after browning the pork, added some chicken stock and the chile puree, and braised for about 3 hours at 300 F.  Black beans used onions, garlic, tomatoes, leftover pork loin and chicken stock, water + a can of Shiner Bock.  Potatoes were seat of the pants -- diced & soaked, then roasted with salt, pepper, garlic powder, ancho chile powder and cumin before topping with shredded Asadero cheese right before serving.  All was good, but the pork was the star of the show.  Crappy photo:

Full-Size-Render-1.jpg

• Like 4

I had a basic air fryer.  It worked great.  Now I have the Breville Smart Oven Air.  It's really nice.  Took the place of pretty much every countertop appliance I owned.  I have to really watch the food in it as the cook times are faster than they are in my oven.  I'm a fan of air fryers.  Everything I've air fried has turned out great.

Did homemade pasta two ways last night as sort of a last supper before we get to living healthier.  Paired with some good red wine.  Great end to some really great eating over the holidays, but my body is telling me it's time to get a little healthier.

Carbonara - Used real parmigiano reggiano and probably got a little heavy-handed with it.  Still great, but a little too rich.

Red Sauce - Used italian sausage for protien.  Turned out perfect.

Po11pL.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Did homemade pasta two ways last night as sort of a last supper before we get to living healthier.  Paired with some good red wine.  Great end to some really great eating over the holidays, but my body is telling me it's time to get a little healthier.

Carbonara - Used real parmigiano reggiano and probably got a little heavy-handed with it.  Still great, but a little too rich.

Red Sauce - Used italian sausage for protien.  Turned out perfect.

Po11pL.jpg

No such thing as being "too heavy-handed" with fresh grated parmigiano.  I'd smash both of those with extreme prejudice; well done, my good man. Did you make the red sauce from scratch?

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

So food comes out . . . kinda fried?  Can you actually approximate a batch of Popeye's or some such?

Wings and thighs with the skin on do very well in the airfryer. It's not quite as good as deep frying but it's close enough for me. It's quicker and you don't have to mess with the oil. Frozen French fries also turn out very well. Don't try chicken tenders. They are too lean and the batter doesn't really cook unless you spray it with a ton of cooking spray. I haven't tried skin on chicken breasts. All in all I'm very happy with the airfryer.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

got a name brand/link?

Prepare to be disappointed, as I'm not Surly 1%.  Not a Viking or anything really high-end. Just a "Frigidaire Professional Series."  Got last year's model at Lowe's for nearly half off, and my cousin and I installed it. The word "professional" makes it a professional one, right?  It does to me, at least.  Five burners, fully sealed, and all light within two clicks every time.  Gets really hot and holds a very low simmer equally as well.   I really like it, though admittedly this one is my only experience using gas.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Cooktops/Gas-Cooktop/FPGC3077RS/

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Prepare to be disappointed, as I'm not Surly 1%.  Not a Viking or anything really high-end. Just a "Frigidaire Professional Series."  Got last year's model at Lowe's for nearly half off, and my cousin and I installed it. The word "professional" makes it a professional one, right?  It does to me, at least.  Five burners, fully sealed, and all light within two clicks every time.  Gets really hot and holds a very low simmer equally as well.   I really like it, though admittedly this one is my only experience using gas.

i'm envious, that looks awesome!

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i'm envious, that looks awesome!

Yeah, agree. I hate my cooktop.  There is a window right over the cooktop which necessitates a down draft hood. A GE profile down draft piece of shit that makes me want to punch something. Would kill for five burners. 

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Did you do a lot of research?  Do any of these newer models have child locks?  Our current one doesn't and my 1.5 yr old is at the curiosity stage.  It makes me really nervous that she's going to turn the gas on one day and blow us all up.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, agree. I hate my cooktop.  There is a window right over the cooktop which necessitates a down draft hood. A GE profile down draft piece of shit that makes me want to punch something. Would kill for five burners. 

My last two houses have had hoods (regular ones, not down draft) that turn on by themselves with apparently some kind of heat sensor.  I'll just be boiling water and the fucking thing kicks on by itself full blast.  Can't turn it down or off at all.  Have to wait until they turn themselves off which usually feels like about 10-20 minutes.  Can't hear shit the whole time other than what sounds like a damn jet landing in your kitchen.  For boiling water?  I don't need the hood on full boar to vent some damn evaporated water.  I don't know if I just got unlucky and got the same ones with two houses in a row or if they're all that way now, but it sucks.  Next kitchen I design I'm making it a mission to find one that won't do that.  And although I've never had one, I've always been pretty suspect of the down draft hood.  Never seemed to me like something that could handle any real heavy lifting.

12 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Did you do a lot of research?  Do any of these newer models have child locks?  Our current one doesn't and my 1.5 yr old is at the curiosity stage.  It makes me really nervous that she's going to turn the gas on one day and blow us all up.

Honestly that wasn't one of the features I paid close attention to when researching, since my kid is older now and past the "turn every knob" stage, but IIRC child lock is a feature on some of the GE units.  

Edited by Dutch

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've made carbonara a few times, but is there a trick to get consistently creamy sauce? Seems like 1/3 of the time my eggs end up being slightly scrambled.

have to keep your temp below 145.  patience and persistent mixing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've made carbonara a few times, but is there a trick to get consistently creamy sauce? Seems like 1/3 of the time my eggs end up being slightly scrambled.

Stir in the egg & cheese mixture off the heat. Adding the pasta, with some of the pasta water, cools down the pancetta/bacon and the fat just enough so it will heat the egg but not scramble it. When the pasta and sauce are well mixed, then you can return it to low heat (stirring or tossing constantly) to warm it if you want.

Also, cook your pasta with the minimum amount of water (covering the pasta by an inch or two), so that water is as starchy as possible; that helps the sauce thicken.  Letting it sit a minute or two prior to plating will allow the sauce with thicken a bit as well.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Stir in the egg & cheese mixture off the heat. Adding the pasta, with some of the pasta water, cools down the pancetta/bacon and the fat just enough so it will heat the egg but not scramble it. When the pasta and sauce are well mixed, then you can return it to low heat (stirring or tossing constantly) to warm it if you want.

Also, cook your pasta with the minimum amount of water (covering the pasta by an inch or two), so that water is as starchy as possible; that helps the sauce thicken.  Letting it sit a minute or two prior to plating will allow the sauce with thicken a bit as well.

i've been using small pots for pasta ever since reading about it on serious eats

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-cook-pasta-salt-water-boiling-tips-the-food-lab.html

2 hours ago, huge said:

that serious eats is TLDR

main idea is to use less water?

for this, yes.  less water.  results in starchier pasta water (good) and also takes less time to bring to a boil and come back to a boil (also good).  in fact, you can turn the heat off once it comes back up to a boil - there's enough latent heat in the water and pan to keep the temp high enough to cook the pasta.

just give it a good stir a few times during the first couple of minutes to prevent it from sticking in a big clump.