Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

I’m on “operation stop being a fatass” so I’m trying to cook low carb and a little healthier. I’ve posted this before on the old site. Spinach and avocado and tomato and red onion salad. Grilled skirt steak and chimichurri. Good stuff. Feelin’ like Popeye.
f9360e5c5fb9347a5a34d730cea6f263.jpg

• Like 7

I’m on “operation stop being a fatass” so I’m trying to cook low carb and a little healthier. I’ve posted this before on the old site. Spinach and avocado and tomato and red onion salad. Grilled skirt steak and chimichurri. Good stuff. Feelin’ like Popeye.
f9360e5c5fb9347a5a34d730cea6f263.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tell me how to make those meatballs, or the dog gets it!

here you go

• 1 and 1/2 cups cubed day-old white bread, no crusts
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound ground beef; 1/2 pound ground lamb
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  •  tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • ¼ tsp cayenne
  • ¼ tsp ground cloves
  • ¼ tsp ground coriander
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • 3 TBSP chopped parsley
  • 3 TBSP chopped cilantro

soak bread cubes in milk about 5 minutes and then squeeze out liquid

mix soaked with remaining ingredients and roll into balls.  roll in flour and then fry in vegetable oil until browned.  drain and set aside

make sauce (or you can make this first)

• 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups diced onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 TBSP tomato paste
  • 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
  •  Large pinch saffron, crumbled
  • 1 tsp - 1 TBPS harissa (depending on how hot you want it) 
  •  Salt and pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth

sautee onions in olive oil, 5 minutes or so

add garlic, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt and pepper and saffron and make paste in the pan and sautee it for a couple minutes

add chicken broth and simmer and cook sauce down, about 5 minutes

add harissa to sauce and sautee another couple minutes 

add meatballs back in and cook them through with/in the sauce 

• Like 5

On 4/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, Jack Straw said:

o-H0qk-Co3-QS2-VJVIt-Ld7d1w.jpg

roasted beet and citrus salad with feta and mint and white balsamic, honey, and dijon dressing

fullsizeoutput-2740.jpg

fullsizeoutput-2741.jpg

moroccan lamb and beef meatballs in a tomato, saffron, and harissa sauce with preserved lemon couscous

Now you're just showing off. 

Jokerclapping.gif

22 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Salud to all you Surly Chefs.  After reading so many great recipes and seeing so many tantalizing photos, I now know that if I ever get the ghey, I'mma try to marry one of you Surly bastards...

Srsly, well done gentlemen.

I call dibs on @Jack Straw...or @brown water...or @Anastasis...or whatnotallthree.gif

• Haha 1

@Jack Straw, Imma ask a really stupid question: when you say "saute the onions in olive oil" are you using EVOO or regular olive oil? I've heard EVOO is best saved for cold applications (salads, bread, etc) because it breaks down rapidly when introduced to heat, whereas plain ol' olive oil is best for sauteing.  That dish looks incredible, btw.

Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.  

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@Jack Straw, Imma ask a really stupid question: when you say "saute the onions in olive oil" are you using EVOO or regular olive oil? I've heard EVOO is best saved for cold applications (salads, bread, etc) because it breaks down rapidly when introduced to heat, whereas plain ol' olive oil is best for sauteing.  That dish looks incredible, btw.

Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.  

I’m no Jack Straw in the kitchen, but I use EVOO for everything.  And I’ve seen some really high level chefs who do the same.

• Like 1

I have extra virgin and canola in my pantry next to the stove. The heat of a sauté will oxidize/destroy most of the complex aromatics of the EVOO so you are wasting money if you don’t use it to finish or for dressings and would get the same result with a regular olive oil at a cheaper price.

I’d rather not waste the space on two bottles of olive oil so just use EVOO for sautéing anything Mediterranean. Canola for Mexican/Central/South American and Indian (or ghee). Butter and oil for continental dishes. Asian gets into seed oils for me.

• Like 1

Yeah it is a chardonnay off a little rocky ass hillside on family land in napa.  I thought I grabbed a regular Kongsgaard chard (grapes from Hudson's vineyard iirc), but grabbed a Judge instead. The bottles looks the same other than the big THE JUDGE stamp across the label. 

Edited by Anastasis