Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

I'm lazy.  Tonight's effort at a "Cinco de Mayo" dinner has been brewing in my head for a few days.  When I make enchiladas, I usually go "stacked", because it's easier than rolling them and they taste the same, so who cares?  

So I've been thinking about empanadas, but knowing I lack the patience to deal with sealing up a bunch of perfect little stuffed pastries, I decided to stack them . . . like stacked enchiladas.  I bought the dough at Phonecia but that was the extent of the cheating.

One set was ground beef and a pepper jack + sharp cheddar mix.  The beef wasn't a traditional picadillo, but closer to a TexMex taco filling.  Sirloin, onions, garlic, chipotles en adobo, guajillo chile powder, cumin, etc.  

The other set was a riff on rajas con queso, but no cream (too runny), just roasted poblano strips, onions, pepper jack and queso fresco.  I laid up each stack in a 9x9 baking dish like a lasagne, and served it with corn on the cob topped with a honey butter spiked with ancho chiles and a cucumber/tomato salad with a lime + oregano vinaigrette.

Damn it was good.  Bad photo, great meal. IMG-6200.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, luke duke said:

My dog used to do that on the rug before I house-trained her.

Looks like he’s got his trained to do it in a bowl.  Seems like it would have been a better idea to train it to go in the toilet.  But whatever

Edited by Landomatic

16 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Them are some ugly fuckin beans, may a dollop of sour cream and some green onions would hide the ugly.

Neither of which are served with Cuban beans.  They're generally mixed in with white rice.  I made Mexican rice so I chose to delete the rice.  Served like that they look like this.  Same style of beans.

2-BA02-AE8-E30-A-47-DF-87-B5-8-A3-DBDB39

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

No pics, and not as fancy as you guys, but I did make a giant fucking jar of this shit over the weekend:

https://www.delishknowledge.com/creamy-jalapeno-salsa/

Basically a knockoff salsa dona sauce. I used avacado oil. Fuck if it isn't getting better every day since I made it. Pic from google images:

P1060279.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=5313928

Shrimp Scampi

This one is so fast and easy, yet so so good.  Wife and kid rave every time.  I say this about a lot of pastas, but this one might truly have the highest ROI ratio from a skill/time needed (almost zero) to great end result standpoint.  This was made with some very run-of-the-mill ingredients from a generic local grocery store (small Tom Thumb).  Nothing fancy or super fresh and it still turned out amazing.

Start with about a pound of shrimp

JFmvTH.jpg

Other ingredients: Minced garlic, chopped onion, chopped basil, lime (and the zest of the lime).  Not pictured, butter, olive oil, cheap white wine, salt, fresh pasta, red pepper flakes.

70DV0F.jpg

Sweat onion and garlic in some olive oil.

BESJPn.jpg

Add shrimp, basil and salt.

q1kGy8.jpg

Deglaze with about a cup of cheap white wine.  Then whisk in a few pats of butter.

Lq5zzR.jpg

Once that cooks down a little and makes a nice consistent cream sauce (pictured below), squeeze a whole lemon in and add your fresh pasta.

q26kX8.jpg

Plate with a sprinkle of fresh basil, fresh lemon zest and red pepper flakes and a drizzle of EVOO to top it off.

Mp9IUy.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Shrimp Scampi

This one is so fast and easy, yet so so good.  Wife and kid rave every time.  I say this about a lot of pastas, but this one might truly have the highest ROI ratio from a skill/time needed (almost zero) to great end result standpoint.  This was made with some very run-of-the-mill ingredients from a generic local grocery store (small Tom Thumb).  Nothing fancy or super fresh and it still turned out amazing.

Start with about a pound of shrimp

JFmvTH.jpg

Other ingredients: Minced garlic, chopped onion, chopped basil, lime (and the zest of the lime).  Not pictured, butter, olive oil, cheap white wine, salt, fresh pasta, red pepper flakes.

70DV0F.jpg

Sweat onion and garlic in some olive oil.

BESJPn.jpg

Add shrimp, basil and salt.

q1kGy8.jpg

Deglaze with about a cup of cheap white wine.  Then whisk in a few pats of butter.

Lq5zzR.jpg

Once that cooks down a little and makes a nice consistent cream sauce (pictured below), squeeze a whole lemon in and add your fresh pasta.

q26kX8.jpg

Plate with a sprinkle of fresh basil, fresh lemon zest and red pepper flakes and a drizzle of EVOO to top it off.

Mp9IUy.jpg

Fuck yes. 

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

shrimp scampi looks delicious but you need to toss that pan and stop using metal utensils

Yeah I know.  That fuckin thing looks like it came over to America on the Mayflower.  It’s from like 4 pan sets ago.  I had it, along with a bunch of random mismatched hand-me-down crappy pans when I was in college.

Sometime in my 20’s, I bought a whole new fancy grown up set and got rid of all the old ones, except that.  Kept it mostly just due to the fact that it was my go-to and was still in pretty good shape back then.

Then, when I met Mrs Landomatic, she wanted a brand new set.  I explained to her that my newish existing set, combined with all the nice pans she came with, were more than good enough.  She disagreed so we compromised....and we got a new set of pans.  That new set seemed like it had just about every shape and size except for that pan that’s in the pics.  So, that was the one pan I got to keep.

Fast-forward to earlier this year and she decided that all our pans from 10 plus whatever years ago were feeling like they needed replaced, so she bought a whole set from Costco (which I’m not loving by the way) and again, nothing in the set was even close to that one pan’s shape and size so I kept it again.

I pretty much only cook pasta and that pan is perfect for it.  So, until one of these new sets that we “need” comes with one that size and shape, I guess I’ll keep it.  I’m sure I could find a single pan that size and shape, but at this point, it’s almost become like grammas skillet to me...or my favorite chair.  Looks like shit, but does a great job and I know it like the back of my hand.

tl;dr - fuck you, you sound like my wife, and you don’t mess with a man’s favorite pan

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

+ rep  Got a recipe for us?

2 pounds stew meat

onion

can of  Rotel

3 cloves garlic 

1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, black pepper 

Brown the meat in Dutch oven and then remove. Sauté onion until soft then add garlic and spices for another minute. Add Rotel and two tablespoons of flour in one cup water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours stirring occasionally.

I wasn’t complaining, looks interesting.  Definitely healthier than a loaded potato.  

I’m in the final week of a weight loss challenge. Believe me the loaded potato is THE way to go. This side was just ok but wasn’t fond of the grainy texture didn’t complement the steak. Need that mash to soak up that steak juice just right.

26 minutes ago, dad said:

I’m in the final week of a weight loss challenge. Believe me the loaded potato is THE way to go. This side was just ok but wasn’t fond of the grainy texture didn’t complement the steak. Need that mash to soak up that steak juice just right.

If you haven’t yet, try some mashed cauliflower.  It can be pretty good.  

• Like 2