Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

24 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Did you put the pork into the oven in the same pot as you marinaded? i.e. you didn't strain anything, right?

That looks amazing

I put it in a roasting pan when it went into the oven.  Thank you. I was very happy with the results.   The sour orange makes a world of difference. 

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I put it in a roasting pan when it went into the oven.  Thank you. I was very happy with the results.   The sour orange makes a world of difference. 

You gonna deglaze that pan? I'd deglaze the fuck out of that pan. Sherry. Quarter cup. Wooden spoon. 

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Is it just me or does everyone else think Jack’s definition of “easy” and mine are not the same.  Looks great.  But I’m sure I’d figure out a way to fuck it up.

ha.  well, i grew the lemons and preserved them, that's not easy per se - but the recipe really is, other than some prep work like dicing herbs.  it was really a two step process, almost like a sheet pan dish.  i'll post if you want to see it/give it a shot  

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

ha.  well, i grew the lemons and preserved them, that's not easy per se - but the recipe really is, other than some prep work like dicing herbs.  it was really a two step process, almost like a sheet pan dish.  i'll post if you want to see it/give it a shot  

Please post.  Shit looks good!!!

Ashamed to admit I had never heard of Bolognese until moving to NY, it’s now my favorite pasta dish, several places nearby do a great job with it one being the cafe where I work.  

Looks good, will have to give it a try, thanks for posting. 

Edited by Underdog

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Pork Bolognese

Basic ingredients - 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, half an onion, few cloves garlic...

Not pictured - olive oil, butter, ground meat (you can use anything), tomato paste, milk, white wine, pasta, parmigiano reggiano.

UmkBgs.jpg

Get a few tablespoons EVOO and about a half a stick of butter good and hot...

dSe1T4.jpg

Add chopped onion, celery and grated carrots and sweat that down on medium heat for 10 minutes or so or until they all start getting kind of translucent...

C5LIFS.jpg

Brown some ground meat (I used pork) then mix in chopped garlic, couple tablespoons of tomato paste, about a cup of while milk and about a cup of white wine...

2P2GBo.jpg

Reduce that down for about 20-30 minutes or until it's closer to a paste and less of a soup...

qWwlnZ.jpg

Add pasta - I used tagliatelle but you can really go with just about anything here...

T8IGKq.jpg

Mix it all together to finish the pasta in the sauce with copious amounts of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano...

W8GQBR.jpg

Serve with a little chopped fresh basil and more parmigiano reggiano because you can never have too much of that...

ldGtZE.jpg

Well that settles it. Bolognese for dinner. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Pork Bolognese

Basic ingredients - 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, half an onion, few cloves garlic...

Not pictured - olive oil, butter, ground meat (you can use anything), tomato paste, milk, white wine, pasta, parmigiano reggiano.

UmkBgs.jpg

Get a few tablespoons EVOO and about a half a stick of butter good and hot...

dSe1T4.jpg

Add chopped onion, celery and grated carrots and sweat that down on medium heat for 10 minutes or so or until they all start getting kind of translucent...

C5LIFS.jpg

Brown some ground meat (I used pork) then mix in chopped garlic, couple tablespoons of tomato paste, about a cup of while milk and about a cup of white wine...

2P2GBo.jpg

Reduce that down for about 20-30 minutes or until it's closer to a paste and less of a soup...

qWwlnZ.jpg

Add pasta - I used tagliatelle but you can really go with just about anything here...

T8IGKq.jpg

Mix it all together to finish the pasta in the sauce with copious amounts of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano...

W8GQBR.jpg

Serve with a little chopped fresh basil and more parmigiano reggiano because you can never have too much of that...

ldGtZE.jpg

The problem with this recipie is that I will drink the rest of the white wine after using a cup of it.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:15 PM, HeHateMe said:

Please post.  Shit looks good!!!

chicken with pancetta and olives

lay skin-on chicken in pan (i used 3 leg quarters, but you could use any pieces you want) and drizzle with olive oil and then rub oil all over skin

sprinkle with sea salt (not too much because the pancetta and olives are both salty), black and white pepper, red pepper flakes, and chopped fresh thyme and rosemary

add 3-4 whole peeled shallots and 20 or so garlic cloves throughout pan 

top chicken with chopped pancetta - i think it would be good with pieces sliced the thickness of thick cut bacon, but i only had the super thin sliced pancetta that comes in the package in the deli section, and it was fine - i layered and folded them and then chopped them in order to get thicker chunks 

cook in oven at 425 for 20-30 minutes as it starts to brown

pull pan out and add a cup + of dry white wine

cook 10 more minutes

pull pan out and add 20 or so olives (use the ones that come in oil rather than the liquid brine if you can) and sliced preserved lemon rinds (I have a big jar of those in my fridge, but i think you could just use regular lemon rind, or omit it if you don't have it)

cook 30 minutes or so more until chicken is golden brown and cooked to internal temp 

the garlic, olives, shallots, lemon and herbs cook down with the white wine into an amazing sauce - next time i will serve with crusty bread to sop that up 

• Like 2

Been craving Bolognese since @Landomatic and @Anastasis made their fine contributions. Never made it before and was very pleased with the results. Dutch oven bread made a very nice side.

e4fadb5f7e08c11ca0538b37a1e23e9a.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I made pasta today. Finished dish will be done tomorrow but I thought I’d share the pasta making.  

C2-A6836-A-261-C-476-D-A3-E0-DCB3-AB1-C8

F7-FAB213-F695-49-C0-B965-CF86163-C5-E29

38004-C17-60-D6-42-C7-94-D4-13-DD7-BD743

27-E94-BA9-6-D8-F-4148-A7-D5-72273413123

2-EE93247-C919-45-DA-B2-A0-A80-BB3205-F3

315-AA633-2-FB9-4-D7-C-90-D6-17-D6-A060-

6-AFE48-EB-BDFA-4-BC3-B235-716-E3-E1-D44

i need to work on my lasagna cutting skills. They’re uneven.  Lasagna Bolognese tomorrow with bechemel sauce. 

D479-AAA0-6-D3-D-435-E-AC6-E-A5-D9-D053-

Can we get a primer on the process with fresh noodles. Do you add water to the lasagna dish or any other special steps? Fresh pasta is game changing, but have never tried with lasagna. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can we get a primer on the process with fresh noodles. Do you add water to the lasagna dish or any other special steps? Fresh pasta is game changing, but have never tried with lasagna. 

With fresh pasta you can cook the pasta in the lasagna. No need to boil it.  I do my lasagna with bechemel sauce.   No ricotta cheese.  

I do a traditional Bologna bolognese for my lasagna.  Ground pork. Ground veal and ground beef.  A couple of carrots, an onion, about eight cloves of garlic and a stalk of celery for the soffritto which is browned in olive oil and butter. 

84-ECF146-56-A7-4-FBA-85-C1-9261-BF8-AAA

7-BB4-EAF0-9-B54-4051-8-A80-7-FAE4-F2083

over the course of cooking I add a bottle of Chianti Classico a cup at a time every hour. I cook this four four to five hours and something marital happens that last hour or two.  I add whatever fresh herbs I have to the bolognese.  Today it was thyme and oregano.  I also add whole blanched tomatoes which cook down completely  

D3832546-F03-D-48-DD-A0-FE-543051-FCCBF8

You can see how much the bolognese darkens over time  fantastic depth of flavor by the time it’s finished.

86-E5-AB7-C-95-B6-4-FE2-B2-DF-E73-E8-FA5

Building the lasagna

D061-D5-B4-9-B8-D-400-A-A3-CB-304-B03-D1

A276-B60-F-2-E14-49-D7-8467-47-D918-F57-

I like to put a little red sauce (al’aglione) on the top layer

A7-D3-B973-DBF4-4-B4-C-A99-E-0-A6-FB5-FA

The finished product   I also made aglione with Pici pasta as a primi.   I need to work on my bechemel   Right now it’s a bit too floury and is the weak link of the dish.

8-BBF56-D3-5-CC6-467-D-8-FC8-7318-F921-B

76-F553-FD-A434-47-AE-AC69-1-CE051622290

• Like 8

Next is homemade ravioli.  I’m looking for the perfect stuffing recipe. I make bolognese all the time and it would be a great stuffing but I want a new challenge. 

I hope I answered the question about cooking the pasta.  I got off on a bolognese tangent there.  There are so many versions of bolognese.  As many as there are regions in Italy.   I prefer the traditional Bologna version as it’s much more of a pure meat sauce.  Very limited use of the tomato as opposed to the cooking in Italy as you travel further south where the tomato becomes the star of the dishes made. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 2

I just did a test batch of Kalbi (Korean style BBQ beef ribs).  24 hr+ marinade cycle.  Damn cold forced me inside to the oven instead of a proper charcoal grilling on the Kamado.  Broiler pan, 400 degrees, 5 mins per side then cranked it up to broil for 2 minutes for a little char.  Felt sacrilegious but didn't stop me from enjoying.

Incidentally, do you need an image hosting account or is there some way to post pictures directly to Surly.