impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

Did the republicans see the same facts, listen to the same witnesses, look at the same evidence, read and understand the same American Constitution, saw where the POTUS stopped people that had knowledge from testifying, tweeted hateful statements, insinuated that certain congressman should be jailed, maybe executed? They are sure talking like the Dems made all this up. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Nobody actually feels sorry for Trump or whatever bullshit reasoning they give, they just are looking to latch onto a socially acceptable explanation for the vote they were always going to cast.  

As for the "it's just going to motivate the Republican base!!1!!" talk... well I can't think of a bigger motivator for Democrats than "we have just shown you that this election is literally the only way to get him out."  

yup.

trump's approval is low.  his disapproval is high.  numbers like his don't win you elections.  he spent a lot of time getting hillary's disapprovals up to his level, and it worked.  i don't see it working for him again.

the more people get involved, engaged, aware, of whatever is happening, the worse it gets for him.  that's why impeachment won't help him at all.  he's gonna lose the popular vote by 7-8 points, and 3-4 states will be ~close and will decide the election.  maybe he'll thread the needle absolutely perfectly again.  but i doubt it.

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The Democrats have approached every single political fight for the past thirty years with the strategy to immediately concede if they can't guarantee victory in hopes that playing the honorable loser will win them votes. But that approach never wins votes, it loses votes. Voters don't like a party of pussies that only ever decide to act when some polls indicate that something is sufficiently popular. They have to actually act like they believe what they say. 

That's exactly right.  The Democrats know right from wrong but will rarely fight unless the numbers look good.  The Republicans know right from wrong but will fight like hell for what is wrong, because that gives them power.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How much long they gonna do this. Shit ain't very entertaining at this point.  Would be better if we armed them with canes and other blunt objects. Last man standing wins. 

I am all for Thunderdome-Congress Edition.  In fact they could do it as a pay per view and we could solve the national debt at the same time.  

If the Dems fail, they will have shown themselves to be completely powerless to stop the conservative movement.  

What conservative movement? Gutless hypocrites? Check! Ball-less traitors to their Oaths of Office? Check! Normal power seeking immoral panderers? Check! One issue social warriors? Check!

Only the last category might be said to be conservative. They’ve abandoned separation of powers, limiting the Executive,/limit Federal power and retain those rights left to the states - let alone abandon fiscal conservatism, strong Nato alliances, Russia as adversary and deficit hawks as a thing.

The GOP is a collection of scared old people, angry brown people haters, abortion one issue peeps, the faux Christian Evangelicals, all of them drinking the cool aid that Trump will make the gays and coloreds and Mooselims and non-church goers - well - stop being so gay and brown and non-Christian.

The abortion folks might fit in the old conservative movement mold. The rest of them are just happy to push against the fact under Obama they had to see that negress with bare sleeves, and watch that fancy mustard eating, tan suit wearing POTUS shove gay marriage and all that librul shit up our collective asses.

Maybe it is a movement, but it is no more than a collection of people unhappy with a world with no smear the queer (or my kid gets detention), getting shit from thin skinned people (if I tell a football joke with the N word), and libruls taking my got dang good old light bulb and wanting some tree hugger replacement, world.

Conservative? Nope. Deplorable? Maybe.

When Trump is gone, what is the party plank? Librul tears?
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

In all seriousness, what percentage of the Republican house members are white men over the age of 55?  What is the Democrat percentage for the same demographic?  

This is the last Congress, but it probably hasn't changed all that much. 

https://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2017/apr/28/mark-pocan/congress-democrats-have-women-and-minorities-repub/

22 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

In all seriousness, what percentage of the Republican house members are white men over the age of 55?  What is the Democrat percentage for the same demographic?  

not sure... but this meme made the rounds in 2018

Image result for picture of congress incoming freshman

49 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Doesn't include caucasian as a choice, but here's a listing by other ethnicities and by women:

https://pressgallery.house.gov/member-data/demographics

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Literally doing nothing for four years and seeing Trump get reelected would do the same.

The Democrats have approached every single political fight for the past thirty years with the strategy to immediately concede if they can't guarantee victory in hopes that playing the honorable loser will win them votes. But that approach never wins votes, it loses votes. Voters don't like a party of pussies that only ever decide to act when some polls indicate that something is sufficiently popular. They have to actually act like they believe what they say. They can't spend four years talking about Trump's lawlessness without exercising the limited power they have to attempt to stop it, watch Trump get re-elected, and expect for anyone to still believe they have any power.   

Impeachment was never about removal, given the makeup of the Senate. Impeachment was about using the process as a megaphone to explain to undecided voters and nonvoters the breadth of Trump's crimes and the danger he poses to the republic, as well as the GOP's complicity. I think they've fucked up the execution by focusing too narrowly on Ukraine, but at least they finally took the field.

I hope you are right that the undecided and apathetic are as appalled by Trump and the GOP as you and I are.  If they are not enough of them to offset Trump’s rabid base + election interference, there won’t be another impeachment in term 2.