The Supremes

tx 3 putt

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah, allowing the laws of one state to travel across state lines is but one of the reasons the assertion that this is a win for democracy is so blatantly disingenuous.

Wait, wait . . . so Texas is going to start fining me for publicly urinating in New Orleans, a city that has never before had a problem with that?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It was short post designed to have the author reconsider the idea of taxing income due to the tax sheltering opportunities that are offered and exploited by the elites not an essay on the matter.   Naturally this discussion would then warrant a more thoughtful write up that would exceed the attention span of most and shift the conversation away from the horror that is the SC.   

Remember when these assholes stopped the manual recount of an election in Florida which was ordered by the Florida's Supreme Court?    I have not forgotten how corrupt they are.   <20 years later they are doing nothing to stop the recounts that are well above the margin of error because their side was losing.   

Only a naive lawyer looks at them with some reverence.  I see them as corrupt politicians.   They punted on gerrymandering because they couldn't even spin that bullshit.  They are trying to shift the message to the leak, not to their corruption, shroedingering the impact of their decision or the bullshit excuse for doing so.   

When the people wanted net neutrality the right wingers ignored it.  When the people wanted felons to get voting rights restored they ignored it.  When sanctions were enacted against Russia they ignored it.   When they lost an election in wisconsin they tried to limit all of the powers of that office.   they are all corrupt at the gqp.  

/rant off.

Oh, I did not like the idea of 90% tax on income over 500k either.  I just didn't want to bring an income tax argument over 500k into this thread.  However, if you threatened either income or wealth, I would imagine a lot of people would change their tune.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Hmm, I actually thought his contracts class was tough, and good. Anyone remember "blinkum"?

How about another grade humblebrag...I took the contracts mid-term fully, stinking drunk... got a B.  Swore off doing that kind of thing after that though. 

UT law talk not going away...

Being drunk would have likely helped my GPA.  I knew in about a month that striving for high grades would be fruitless for me.  One law school grade memory was when they posted some grades and everyone was checking out their scores, and this one woman finds her grades, and then says, loudly, "Oh my god, I think I Am Jur'd this class!".

I had no idea what "Am Jur'd" meant, but I know I suddenly understood what hate-fuck meant.

And whenever they posted after that, I would always say, loudly "Oh my God, I think I am jur'd this class!" which would make anyone within earshot who knew me chortle.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Being drunk would have likely helped my GPA.  I knew in about a month that striving for high grades would be fruitless for me.  One law school grade memory was when they posted some grades and everyone was checking out their scores, and this one woman finds her grades, and then says, loudly, "Oh my god, I think I Am Jur'd this class!".

I had no idea what "Am Jur'd" meant, but I know I suddenly understood what hate-fuck meant.

And whenever they posted after that, I would always say, loudly "Oh my God, I think I am jur'd this class!" which would make anyone within earshot who knew me chortle.

Law school nerd talk not going away.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's exactly what they want. Because what they want is to criminalize something that's going to happen anyway in order to turn everyone they don't like into an underclass that they can direct state power against. They did this with the war on drugs, to continue to oppress black people when they couldn't maintain explicit segregation any more. Now it's women, next it'll be gay people, then probably everyone else who disagrees with them.

I'm surprised they went after the wimminz before the gays.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's exactly what they want. Because what they want is to criminalize something that's going to happen anyway in order to turn everyone they don't like into an underclass that they can direct state power against. They did this with the war on drugs, to continue to oppress black people when they couldn't maintain explicit segregation any more. Now it's women, next it'll be gay people, then probably everyone else who disagrees with them.

You think the war on drugs wasn't bipartisan?  It has been a complete shitshow.  But both sides have plenty of blood on their hands.

Jesus some of the biggest advocates for tough laws on drugs and explicitly crack were black lawmakers.  And black clergy.

Biden was one of the biggest advocates of the War on Drugs.

Consider one moment in Biden’s career: In 1989, at the height of punitive anti-drug and mass incarceration politics, Biden, then a senator, went on national television to criticize a plan from President George H.W. Bush to escalate the war on drugs. The plan, Biden said, didn’t go far enough. 

“Quite frankly, the president’s plan is not tough enough, bold enough, or imaginative enough to meet the crisis at hand,” he said. He called not just for harsher punishments for drug dealers but to “hold every drug user accountable.” Bush’s plan, Biden added, “doesn’t include enough police officers to catch the violent thugs, not enough prosecutors to convict them, not enough judges to sentence them, and not enough prison cells to put them away for a long time” — a direct call for more incarceration.

As the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee in the late 1980s and early ’90s, Biden did not just support the war on drugs and mass incarceration; he wrote many of the laws that helped build a punitive criminal justice system. That included measures that enacted more incarceration, more prisons, and tougher prison sentences for drug offenses, particularly crack cocaine.

Much of this matched the rhetoric of the day, when Democrats and Republicans in the ’80s and ’90s pushed for lengthier prison sentences and “tough on crime” policies in general to combat a crime wave and a crack cocaine epidemic.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/25/18282870/joe-biden-criminal-justice-war-on-drugs-mass-incarceration

You guys just love to make shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

A big news story right now is some big corporations that have announced they will subsidize travel for their employees to go get their little problem taken care of in another state. We won't give you paid leave, and we definitely won't pay you enough to have a family on a single income, but if you want to go to see this nice man in the clinic across the state line just send us the bill 😉 This world is fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

States rights- lie

Small government- lie

FREEDOM!!!- lie

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Where are my fellow Electrical and Computer Engineering nerds???

As a holder of a CE degree and another real engineering degree I can vouch that CE isn't "really engineering".

EE on the other hand; that shit's as difficult as it gets.  It scared me.

Enough of my derail.  Carry on.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

53 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Shit is going to get very ugly, very quickly.

Yeah, the fugitive slave law angle combined with constant surveillance from your smart phone/apps is going to be a nightmare.  The end result is going to be even worse than the pre-Roe regime imo.

Edited by Starfleet Command

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

So Raphael is going to get a SC seat after all? 

I think the Republican Senators hate Ted Cruz almost as much as we do, so that probably means they'll jump at any opportunity to get him out of the Senate, even if it means he'll be the most insufferable United States Supreme Court Justice ever.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not disingenuous, it's a lie.  They say "states rights" on the one hand while openly supporting actions that deny states the right to have control over acts that happen within their own borders.  It's a lie to support authoritarianism and denial of rights to the lesser/weaker/vulnerable.  Always has been.  There are no new lies, just the same old one.

I mean Scalia spent his lifetime talking about states rights, but when given the chance to step and defend that as part of Oregon’s assisted suicide case, he sided with the federal government’s ability to override that via federal regulation of doctors. 

Because he valued the sanctity of human life. Unless it came from 12 angry men via a needle.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy&#x27;s Napoleon Hand said:

States rights- lie

Small government- lie

FREEDOM!!!- lie

modern conservatism consists of lying about everything pretty much all the time.  even to yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Lucid said:

A big news story right now is some big corporations that have announced they will subsidize travel for their employees to go get their little problem taken care of in another state. We won't give you paid leave, and we definitely won't pay you enough to have a family on a single income, but if you want to go to see this nice man in the clinic across the state line just send us the bill 😉 This world is fucked.

Well, that's what happens when we offload health insurance to employers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Who cares if they lied or didn't lie during their confirmation hearings?  Even if they said flat out under oath - I would never in a million years vote to overturn Roe - would anything happen to these people.  You have to literally fuck children like Hastert to get in any kind of trouble when you are at that level.

i guess i care. Lying is becoming/has become a virtue in this society. It's just.. look i am no saint, but if i was a public figure, being known to have committed a bald faced lie would be the worst thing you could accuse of me of.

Maybe it is an honor thing, the way i was raised, i don't know. I am not expressing myself very well, but it would eat at me to the point of paralysis and certainly create personal shame and complete embarrassment. I dont know how some people live with themselves.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy&#x27;s Napoleon Hand said:

Is the right to yank your crank enumerated in the Constitution? We do have have a Judeo-Christian tradition of thou shall spill no seed on the ground...

Im Out GIF

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i guess i care. Lying is becoming/has become a virtue in this society. It's just.. look i am no saint, but if i was a public figure, being known to have committed a bald faced lie would be the worst thing you could accuse of me of.

Maybe it is an honor thing, the way i was raised, i don't know. I am not expressing myself very well, but it would eat at me to the point of paralysis and certainly create personal shame and complete embarrassment. I dont know how some people live with themselves.

Practice.  Lots of practice.

The Right talks a good game when it comes to freedom but all their policy positions seem to be rooted in taking away personal rights instead of giving them.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I’ll say it for you: I fucking hate malicious lying.  I’m not talking about the run of the mill white lies that are as essential to social grease as small talk and pleasantries.  I mean to your face, knowing lies about serious issues because you either weak or evil.  

I’m terrible at lying, so I have to live my life in the cold light of truth, and I’m none the worse for wear for it.  I believe knowing lying is a character flaw of the highest order. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

The Right talks a good game when it comes to freedom but all their policy positions seem to be rooted in taking away rights instead of giving them.

Yes damn rightists at it again taking away right of unborn children to be killed wait what are we talking about again where am i

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Lucid said:

Yes damn rightists at it again taking away right of unborn children to be killed wait what are we talking about again where am i

None of us believe that you think a fetus is the same as a person.

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

The Right talks a good game when it comes to freedom but all their policy positions seem to be rooted in taking away personal rights instead of giving them.

Other than lock downs, vaccine mandates, the second amendment, free markets, lower taxes, less regulations on your private business, religious freedoms, forced baking cakes, ACA mandates, right to work without being forced to participate in or fund a union, school choice, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I’ll say it for you: I fucking hate malicious lying.  I’m not talking about the run of the mill white lies that are as essential to social grease as small talk and pleasantries.  I mean to your face, knowing lies about serious issues because you either weak or evil.  

I’m terrible at lying, so I have to live my life in the cold light of truth, and I’m none the worse for wear for it.  I believe knowing lying is a character flaw of the highest order. 

We are talking about elite political actors here - the lowest of the low. Dumpster lice. Malicious lying doesn’t even register among the dizzying heights of their sin. 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Other than lock downs, vaccine mandates, the second amendment, free markets, lower taxes, less regulations on your private business, religious freedoms, forced baking cakes, ACA mandates, right to work without being forced to participate in or fund a union, school choice, etc.

Unless of course my private business wishes to require masks or vaccines, right? Or sell booze on Sundays. Or perform abortions. Or have a poker room. 

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I believe my inability to lie has really held me back professionally. 

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If a fetus is a person. Does that mean it has the same rights as a person? Could it file a lawsuit? Own property?

I am interested how we are going to handle all these additional people though.  HOV lanes now available for the pregnant?  ADA suits for not making the place accessible to someone in the womb?  Criminal penalties for not abiding by the Health and Safety Code for burials to doctors?   Miscarried 6 week old entitled to property in the will/inheritance of grandpa -- Jackpot for whoever intestacy laws says is next!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Unless of course my private business wishes to require masks or vaccines, right? Or sell booze on Sundays. Or perform abortions. Or have a poker room. 

The central contradiction of American conservatism must be the contradiction of their worship of markers and their worship of their evangelical/conservative Catholic God.

Whatever you think about the latter, the former produces Big Tech, TikTok, OnlyFans, drugs - an amoral culture of mindless and endless consumption. A totally atomized existence in which nearly all social bonds are only hinderances to further penetration of the market.

This fundamental principle of our reality somehow totally eludes them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This is hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The National Review’s editorial section sucks today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Question for the law dawgs: So clearly this document wasn’t classified. I don’t think the judicial branch has classification authority and in any case it’s not remotely national security related. 

So leaking is an ethical breach but was any law broken here?