The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

A Tesla may perform better than a '65 Mustang, but the Mustang looks cooler. 

Yep, and that coolness reads something like this. 

Billy’s Pearly Gates

Framptons Phenix

Duane’s Gold Top

Clapton’s Beano

Jimmy’s 59

Walsh’s 59

Gary Moore, Paul Kossof’s 59’s, the list just goes on and on.

I always liked being a small part of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

OK, something is wrong on the attributions there.  Unless ZZ Ward got a sex change, she ain't out there.

Beyond that, Orianthi hit a huge number of clams on her stupid gold top PRS, which just furthers my opinion that PRS guitars suck.

Billy Fucking Gibbons outplays all of them without even trying.  That was terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, Buzzrock said:

More PRS vs LP stuff

Seriously there is no more versatile guitars on the market then PRS. Also no better tops. I love the headstock!
headstocks:

PRS

Gibson

fender

i said it fight me. Also I saw someone posted about why there isn’t one thread for basses pedals amps ect. I’m here for the lawlessness of that! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Have I missed something?  Seems like DG is playing a lot of Tele these days, when he was long associated with Strats.  Anyone know the back story?

He used teles (and other guitars as well) on a lot of recordings.  His most well known guitars like the black Strat were auctioned off for charity in 2019.  I heard an interview with him at the time where he said something to the effect of always thinking of guitars as tools with no more value than that and that the best work these tools could now render would be as proceeds for charity.

edit:  guess I’m saying we all associated him with strats probably more than he himself ever did.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

A friend has been asking me for a while to come down to Half Moon Bay and play bass with his band. Finally went last night. All middle aged surfer dudes, like the Point Break guys at 50. Singer is an Aussie. The practice spot is right near the beach where Mavericks breaks.

Liked the guys, loved the songs. All high energy and fun. In about 2 hours I learned and was able to contribute to 6 of them, they have about 15 I think. We gelled musically very well.The drummer is very tight and easy to follow. They asked me to join, I tentively said yes. If I do it, im committing to driving a half hour down the coast after work every Wednesday evening.

On the other hand, they are scheduled to play Psycho Fest in Vegas in August. We would be on the same bill as Mercyful Fate, Suicidal Tendancies, and a bunch of the Wutang Clan guys, so that would be pretty unreal. I'm sure on a smaller side stage or something, but still.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequence.net/2022/03/psycho-vegas-2022-lineup/amp/

In other news, a Vary Mary show looks to be taking shape for August. I never thought that would happen again. Im stoked to play with those guys again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 4/13/2022 at 7:56 AM, Deej said:

PRS - ugliest headstock of any major guitar builder. 

I disagree, but it is certainly the best designed for function, not going out of tune constantly or known for just completely breaking off. It's what PRS does, iron out most of the major flaws of other designs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

I disagree, but it is certainly the best designed for function, not going out of tune constantly or known for just completely breaking off. It's what PRS does, iron out most of the major flaws of other designs.

I don't have any issues with tuning stability of any of my Fenders. They all either have vintage-style split shaft tuners, or the locking tuners that look like those (my gold strat). My Gibson and Gibson-style ones aren't as good, but the Fenders are rock solid. So not sure why PRS needed to invent their strat. 

And I'll throw this out there. I love a telecaster, but it's like loving an ugly dog. It took me years to develop a taste for it. Always thought the Tele was not attractive, the body is bulky and looks like it was drawn by a third-grader, not particularly comfortable to play, has a goofy little weenie headstock that doesn't do it any favors. From a visual aesthetics point of view it's pretty ugly. But people learned to like it because they saw a lot of great players making great sounds with it. If you had never seen one before nobody in this day and age would think it's a beautiful guitar shape.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

And I'll throw this out there. I love a telecaster, but it's like loving an ugly dog. It took me years to develop a taste for it. Always thought the Tele was not attractive, 

Huh.  I think it is without question the greatest guitar design of all time.  

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

A friend has been asking me for a while to come down to Half Moon Bay and play bass with his band. Finally went last night. All middle aged surfer dudes, like the Point Break guys at 50. Singer is an Aussie. The practice spot is right near the beach where Mavericks breaks.

Liked the guys, loved the songs. All high energy and fun. In about 2 hours I learned and was able to contribute to 6 of them, they have about 15 I think. We gelled musically very well.The drummer is very tight and easy to follow. They asked me to join, I tentively said yes. If I do it, im committing to driving a half hour down the coast after work every Wednesday evening.

On the other hand, they are scheduled to play Psycho Fest in Vegas in August. We would be on the same bill as Mercyful Fate, Suicidal Tendancies, and a bunch of the Wutang Clan guys, so that would be pretty unreal. I'm sure on a smaller side stage or something, but still.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequence.net/2022/03/psycho-vegas-2022-lineup/amp/

In other news, a Vary Mary show looks to be taking shape for August. I never thought that would happen again. Im stoked to play with those guys again.

I don't see any bass pics.  Or pics for that matter.

So I'm not the biggest KISS fan ever, but this would be hard to turn down if it came my way...

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/ace-frehley-kiss-smoking-guitar-auction?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=guitar-world&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1w33GkiU6UQzNh_Uax-iGgPix6sHdoc8tWYdF9pRCLZOwzd1ecVXbwpQw

Two of Ace Frehley’s most outrageously bonkers Gibson Les Paul Customs from Kiss's 1996 reunion tour are up for auction

AjGGxBUhwbtkzr8LUSMKFJ-970-80.jpg.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't see any bass pics.  Or pics for that matter.
Probably the most bang for the buck of any instrument I've ever bought. American Standard P-Bass i bought new back in 2013 off that site that used to only offer 4 screaming deals a day. Hello Music??

Its my only bass.

I played it in a couple cover bands back in San Diego. Countless jams / sit ins. The bass player in Vary Mary played it for every show and most practices because she prefers it to her own P-Bass; she also plays it in a new project we're trying to get off the ground. We use it in Dirty Years - me half the songs and the other guitar player for the other half. Now in The Koffs. All with that same strap too! It came with a big hard case, but I always carry it around in a lightweight gigbag.

I've never once changed the strings. Probably about time.
20220414_130653.jpg20220414_130647.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Probably the most bang for the buck of any instrument I've ever bought. American Standard P-Bass i bought new back in 2013 off that site that used to only offer 4 screaming deals a day. Hello Music??

Its my only bass.

I played it in a couple cover bands back in San Diego. Countless jams / sit ins. The bass player in Vary Mary played it for every show and most practices because she prefers it to her own P-Bass; she also plays it in a new project we're trying to get off the ground. We use it in Dirty Years - me half the songs and the other guitar player for the other half. Now in The Koffs. All with that same strap too! It came with a big hard case, but I always carry it around in a lightweight gigbag.

Never changed the strings? Not even stoned and bored?

12 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Its my only bass.

P-bass is THE bass.  All others stand second.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

"Goofy little weenie headstock..." lol Preach.

Teles are like the Devo of guitars imo. Yeah, there's obviously something interesting going on but they are also dorky as fuck. There's a metric shit ton of cool dudes who play Teles, but none of them are cool because they play Teles - they're cool in spite of it. And looking cool is half the reason to play guitar. Coincidentally, this is also why PRS sucks.

Leo knew he could do better, so he did.

• Like 1

The most un-Tele in existence.

Side note: There is a Custom Shop Page Mirror Tele Signature (set up as a blackguard) at the Guitar Center in Spring for $2k complete with all that cool case candy. It's got me thinking that if any series of unfortuante events lead me to owning a Tele, that might be the one...

Edited by BoomMF

44 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

"Goofy little weenie headstock..." lol Preach.

Teles are like the Devo of guitars imo. Yeah, there's obviously something interesting going on but they are also dorky as fuck. There's a metric shit ton of cool dudes who play Teles, but none of them are cool because they play Teles - they're cool in spite of it. And looking cool is half the reason to play guitar. Coincidentally, this is also why PRS sucks.

Leo knew he could do better, so he did.

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

The elements that typify Telecaster design are the most un-copied elements in the history of music (even within the company that created the thing). Can't argue with science.
Huh? Just about everybody makes a Telecaster copy. In fact, it might be the most copied design in the history of music.the-great-ron-wood-and-his-esp-signature-telecaster.jpgmichael-kelly-guitars-1955-caramel-burst.jpg167555945_4276826749018668_544187755890879101_n.jpgtokai-goldstar-sound-telecaster-43968.jpgTI_ACL_124R39M50-front-1200.jpgUrdD8Ha_fld5nAIV9OMIk_8XKQzzTm7_1KaoYdNcCow.jpgps_main_eg_azs_prestige_en.jpgrnxoaxyfrbwkyb2bkbpu.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DougO said:

And I'll throw this out there. I love a telecaster, but it's like loving an ugly dog. It took me years to develop a taste for it. Always thought the Tele was not attractive, the body is bulky and looks like it was drawn by a third-grader, not particularly comfortable to play, has a goofy little weenie headstock that doesn't do it any favors. From a visual aesthetics point of view it's pretty ugly. But people learned to like it because they saw a lot of great players making great sounds with it. If you had never seen one before nobody in this day and age would think it's a beautiful guitar shape.

I hear you.  A Tele is of course unique and historically a cultural icon.   And it got hella popular in the 50's as "country dudes" found you could play Old Style but then this Great New Rock And Roll stuff.  That said, it looks like it was done by a designer who had to satisfy both his buddies and his wife (and mother-in-law) and it sort of meanders to wherever.  Mostly it just seems kinda small for me (6'3").  To some degree the knob bar just seems to be hammered on as an afterthought... just kinda plunks straight down, more or less disregarding the shape or any relationship to it.  But of course time heals all wounds and now it's such a standard that it defines guitars, esp. electrics, which Fender wanted to look as "un"-like the archtops and acoustics of the time.

I have a Strat (because I love the less bulky neck and the particular bright sound that so much defines it) and the Gretsch I just bought (because it's big and pretty and man kicks ass on thick-but-not-muddy power chords!).  

That said, no one here sanely would ever try to argue the Tele soundwise is lacking to anything like it, nor that the GOAT's don't play a lot of stuff on them - nor that it might be the most diverse solid body ever.  I'd probably never opt for one but not wanting one personally doesn't equal appreciating it.

Oh, anyone interested, really nice '54 original Tele for (well, relatively) cheap on Reverb.  Seems like a great price (well that shipping is OUTRAGEOUS!):

image.thumb.png.422d355104a9f1951ceddcc97323b7de.png

• Like 1

Telecasters, yes, Telecaster design elements incorporated into other guitars, no.

The number of Strat copies, and more importantly guitars that steal Strat design concepts, takes a chest dump on Tele numbers of the same. The reasons for this truism abound.

Telecasters are a cold war relic of blunt design.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1