Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Horns 247 / Bobby Burton / Wednesday

Spoiler

Wednesday

BobbyBurton

Even with the news of Marqez Bimage opting not to play this season in a move that some are calling a “strategic” redshirt, the defensive line should still be a team strength.

However, I am told linebacker remains the primary area of concern for the Texas defense.

No true linebackers have stepped up and separated from the group, at least not yet. I’m told it’s not from a lack of effort. I think it’s too early to say that Texas will have a pedestrian LB corps. But a playmaker needs to step up. Freshman Jaylan Ford may be that type of player but also may be a year away from making an impact.

Meanwhile, I am told the secondary needs to create and capitalize on more interception opportunities but otherwise has been solid with very few assignment busts considering the new defense being put in place.

Jalen Green continues to play well. A lot of Chris Adimora is being asked, but I am told he is responding reasonably well.

The loss of Bimage is somewhat mitigated by the arrival of Alfred Collins.

Collins has already shown the ability to earn reps with the ones as a true freshman. He won’t be a starter but should be in a rotation that Oscar Giles utilizes.

Something to keep in mind with Collins.

He has never focused on football for an entire year. He has always played basketball, too.

So his body will undergo a major transformation over the next couple of years, one that should be additive to his already immense talent.

The word on the 40 Acres is that Collins has a chance to be as good as he wants to be. Not often you can say that about a player.

The commitment of Quinn Ewers and decommitment of Jalen Milroe brought the future of the QB situation at Texas to the forefront in the last week.

I continue to be told that Hudson Card has a little something special to him. Multiple sources say he needs to add good weight, somewhat like Colt McCoy had to over his time at Texas. But it is clear that Card, if healthy, is going to be a player at Texas.

I expect Card to give Casey Thompson a run for his money as the starter next season, although Chip Brown reported earlier this week that coaches are encouraged by Thompson’s progress throwing the ball of late.

The two newest players to have their stripes removed are both walk-on offensive linemen.

They are both redshirt freshman. Chad Wolf played at Lake Travis while Michael Balis is a Plano West product.

I continue to believe that adding depth through a strong walk-on program can be a major benefit for Texas in the long run. It provides better scout teams and every so often a real player will emerge who was simply a late bloomer.

Just now, tokamak said:

Yeah Collins looks like the kind of mutant that Bama has been running out on the DL for several years now.

Assuming Coburn goes pro, I'm excited to see a future lineup of Broughton (So)- Collins (So)- Sweat (Jr)- Sanders (Fr).   

That is a fucking huge DL that can move.  These are the type of guys Bama/Clemson/OSU has every year.  Texas used to be in that group.  It's nice to see us getting back to where we should be.  

• Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah Collins looks like the kind of mutant that Bama has been running out on the DL for several years now.

Not that anyone has ever needed more confirmation that Rivals is garbage, but their final ranking for Collins was 146th in the country and the 18th best player in the state. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Assuming Coburn goes pro, I'm excited to see a future lineup of Broughton (So)- Collins (So)- Sweat (Jr)- Sanders (Fr).   

That is a fucking huge DL that can move.  These are the type of guys Bama/Clemson/OSU has every year.  Texas used to be in that group.  It's nice to see us getting back to where we should be.  

Sanders won’t start his freshman year. He’s got a ton of talent but will need to add weight and improve technique once he starts to focus only on DE. Still though, we’ll have a 5th year Bimage, 2nd year Dorbah, a 4th year Ojomo who will finally be able to get a driver’s license, and hopefully a first year Albert Regis who gets similar buzz to Collins this year. 

The DL will be stacked for the foreseeable future. 

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sanders won’t start his freshman year. He’s got a ton of talent but will need to add weight and improve technique once he starts to focus only on DE. Still though, we’ll have a 5th year Bimage, 2nd year Dorbah, a 4th year Ojomo who will finally be able to get a driver’s license,

You mean a hardship license, right? Otherwise 15 year olds can't get driver's licenses in Texas.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Garth strained his pectoral muscle 6 weeks ago and still isn't cleared to return.  Hope this guy isn't one that's always on the injured list.

Patrick Hudson 2.0 would be a huge bummer, and we need every tackle we can get.

Edited by texifornia