DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2020 Coaching Staff

On 1/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Not only that, the SWC had scholarship limits put in place in 1965.  We did pretty well once those were in place.

It was actually put in in either '57 or '58 due to Bear Bryant's practices and why Bear left.

There is a kernel of truth to what aggy is saying they just don't know how express it in proper terms.  There were no class size limits until the early 70s and DKR's class sizes would make Nick Saban smile.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I was hoping the entire point of the second DL coach was to hire someone with real recruiting chops. From Nahlin’s comments it sounds like a random guy from a smaller school that we have not even heard of.  Who are going to be the rainmakers on this staff is that is true? 

Will certainly be glad to see immediate improvements on the field next year if this person is more known for teaching  and developing. 

45 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was hoping the entire point of the second DL coach was to hire someone with real recruiting chops. From Nahlin’s comments it sounds like a random guy from a smaller school that we have not even heard of.  Who are going to be the rainmakers on this staff is that is true? 

Will certainly be glad to see immediate improvements on the field next year if this person is more known for teaching  and developing. 

I’d be pleased to hire a guy who is known for something positive. Anything. Hiring “unknown white guy from a flyover state that no one has ever heard of” would be the kind of hire where your only choice is to hope that somehow he is a magical teacher that simply hasn’t been recognized by almost anyone else in the industry. Certainly that isn’t the kind of hire Herman would make here, is it?

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

It was actually put in in either '57 or '58 due to Bear Bryant's practices and why Bear left.

There is a kernel of truth to what aggy is saying they just don't know how express it in proper terms.  There were no class size limits until the early 70s and DKR's class sizes would make Nick Saban smile.

Pretty sure aggy signed more than we did in the 60s and 70s

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d be pleased to hire a guy who is known for something positive. Anything. Hiring “unknown white guy from a flyover state that no one has ever heard of” would be the kind of hire where your only choice is to hope that somehow he is a magical teacher that simply hasn’t been recognized by almost anyone else in the industry. Certainly that isn’t the kind of hire Herman would make here, is it?

If the guy is the DL coach at Wake Forest or Indiana or some shit what is even the point of keeping it so secret ? If the school is going to be unwilling or unable to match comp it’s strange for this to need to be kept such a secret. Not that it even matters. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If the guy is the DL coach at Wake Forest or Indiana or some shit what is even the point of keeping it so secret ? If the school is going to be unwilling or unable to match comp it’s strange for this to need to be kept such a secret. Not that it even matters. 

Perhaps he is a football whisperer.

10 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Perhaps he is a football whisperer.

Who whispers to footballs?

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Could it be someone currently in the NFL who formerly coached in the region?

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just guessing but If they name the coach Carrington may have to stop recruiting.  I wouldn’t want that with only a few days to go. 

6 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

It’s Robert Saleh. He’ll be available on Monday.

Had to look him up.  Don’t want some spare that I have to Wiki!  😉

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Any names in TFB update?

No name but announced after signing day and comes from the Big 10

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reggie Johnson has been scrubbed from the Purdue coaching staff page

Because they fired him.

In the recruiting thread, a couple of the posters in the know (not me), said it's Tom Dan Mark Hagen, current Indiana DL corch and former aggy LB corch. 

I look forward to the Hagen gifs

Image result for tom hagen gifs"

Edited by UDontKnow

With the prior hints that have been dropped, my guess is for the Purdue guy.  Reggie Johnson.  They mentioned someone who previously coached in the region but that they were trying to find out whether the coach was successful on the recruiting trail during their time in the region. 

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.  It would be hard for any of the $9.95ers to not know whether he was a good or bad recruiter at ATM, given the reputation he came in with.

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mark-hagen/411

The Purdue guy, Reggie Johnson, coached at UTEP in 2001 and 2002.  It would make sense that they would have to ask around about whether he had any luck in the region or not.

9 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

With the prior hints that have been dropped, my guess is for the Purdue guy.  Reggie Johnson.  They mentioned someone who previously coached in the region but that they were trying to find out whether the coach was successful on the recruiting trail during their time in the region. 

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.  It would be hard for any of the $9.95ers to not know whether he was a good or bad recruiter at ATM, given the reputation he came in with.

The Purdue guy, Reggie Johnson, coached at UTEP in 2001 and 2002.  It would make sense that they would have to ask around about whether he had any luck in the region or not.

I’ll repeat it here: it’s fucking Hagen. Stop desperately speculating otherwise. Either dude would be a bad hire, btw. But it’s Hagen. Now you people can go back to your cognitive dissonance and pretending his rivals recruiter of the year title means he’s good on the trail. He and drew Mehringer can get together and swap stories about Carrington carrying their water in a few months. 

Just when you thought Herman was out of mediocre, he scrapes the bottom of that can and finds that little extra spec 

46 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.

Always trust aggy bios.

AM-new-titles-resize-final.jpg

At least Valai has the "maybe he really is an up-and-coming guy who just got Rutgers'd for a year" reasoning.

Hagan just kind of sucks.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

At least Valai has the "maybe he really is an up-and-coming guy who just got Rutgers'd for a year" reasoning.

Hagan just kind of sucks.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll repeat it here: it’s fucking Hagen. Stop desperately speculating otherwise. Either dude would be a bad hire, btw. But it’s Hagen. Now you people can go back to your cognitive dissonance and pretending his rivals recruiter of the year title means he’s good on the trail. He and drew Mehringer can get together and swap stories about Carrington carrying their water in a few months. 

You want me to go ahead and fire up the thread?

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

In the recruiting thread, a couple of the posters in the know (not me), said it's Tom Dan Mark Hagen, current Indiana DL corch and former aggy LB corch. 

I look forward to the Hagen gifs

AF002756_00.gif

I’m pretty sure a real 2 time recruiter of the year wouldn’t have a career arc like the following:

1. Position coach at aggy for a few years.

2. Fired by Sumlin.

3.  Position coach at Indiana for 4 years.

Actual recruiters of the year, like Tim Brewster and Ed Orgeron, skip over coordinator positions and get power 5 head coaching jobs.

I continue to be amazed by the wealth of expertise and knowledge Surly has for random position coaches nationwide. 

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sure you want to use Tim Brewster?

He was hired as head coach of Minnesota. He sucked and went back to position coaching, but the point still stands.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sure you want to use Tim Brewster?

Brewster is an elite recruiter and has been for almost decades now. Thank him every day for telling Mack Brown to pull his head out of his ass and recruit Vince Young. 

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Brewster is an elite recruiter and has been for almost decades now. Thank him every day for telling Mack Brown to pull his head out of his ass and recruit Vince Young. 

Pfft.  He missed out on Reggie McNeal.

12 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

He's not a great recruiter, no matter what his aggy bio says. I don't know what's on Rivals, but Hagen's not even in the top 25 on 247 for any of the years he was at aggy. I'm guessing he benefited from just being even sort of associated with the recruitment of guys like Isaiah Golden, Myles Garrett, and Daylon Mack. So, guys that were either always going there (Garrett) or guys who probably would have wound up elsewhere during most years.

aggy constantly bitched about what a bad recruiter he was - this coming from the same group of morons who convinced themselves that Jim Turner was elite. He made Terry Price look great by comparison. And the lack of development of guys like Mack during Hagen's years there is not exactly ideal (Golden is obviously a different case altogether).

In sum: this is a shit fucking hire.

2 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

He's not a great recruiter, no matter what his aggy bio says. I don't know what's on Rivals, but Hagen's not even in the top 25 on 247 for any of the years he was at aggy. I'm guessing he benefited from just being even sort of associated with the recruitment of guys like Isaiah Golden, Myles Garrett, and Daylon Mack. So, guys that were either always going there (Garrett) or guys who probably would have wound up elsewhere during most years.

aggy constantly bitched about what a bad recruiter he was - this coming from the same group of morons who convinced themselves that Jim Turner was elite. He made Terry Price look great by comparison. And the lack of development of guys like Mack during Hagen's years there is not exactly ideal (Golden is obviously a different case altogether).

In sum: this is a shit fucking hire.

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him. I have people on here regularly telling me that Giles is a great recruiter and I’ve just got an axe to grind. This also happened with Drew Mehringer. It happens with Tom Herman. If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies. 

So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him. I have people on here regularly telling me that Giles is a great recruiter and I’ve just got an axe to grind. This also happened with Drew Mehringer. It happens with Tom Herman. If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies. 

So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

Fuck, we have hired douche bag Gus Malzhan haven’t we? Alternating between 10 and 7 win seasons.

19 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck, we have hired douche bag Gus Malzhan haven’t we? Alternating between 10 and 7 win seasons.

There's more to it than that. 

We are starting to be to OU what Auburn is to Bama. 

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him...     If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies.   So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

If hired by Texas, what's the reason or connection to hiring Hagen??

Who the hell is convincing Herman/Ash that Hagen would be a great hire??

Just now, LTtxfan said:

If hired by Texas, what's the reason or connection to hiring Hagen??

Who the hell is convincing Herman/Ash that Hagen would be a great hire??

Same agent maybe? Trace Armstrong is Herman’s. Worth checking, I guess. Otherwise, probably some executive search firm touted him or some shit. Working with Kornferry would be like catnip to a know-nothing greenhorn manager like Herman. 

39 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

17 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

There's more to it than that. 

We are starting to be to OU what Auburn is to Bama. 

Disturbingly apt comparison. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

paging @HenryJames

Not trying to be a propaganda machine, and definitely not saying they're the most football minded folks, but the Indiana boards seem disappointed he's leaving. I'll just hope he's become a better coach (a thing that does happen) since his time at Aggy.