2020 Coaching Staff

20 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Maybe yes.

Maybe no.

Maybe fuck yourself.

Maybe yes.

Maybe no.

Maybe fuck yourself.

As at least one or two surly assholes pointed out, there are in fact some scenarios in which Harrell might be a viable candidate to replace a fired MensaTom.

For example, Harrell's O puts up 45 a game, but Ash's D fucks up so badly that we lose five of those games, then MensaTom hits the road and Harrell may very well get a shot at the HC. Or, less related to foobaw, MensaTom gets popped for DUI with a live shemale and a dead female in the back seat...

Bottom line, don't turn a range of several possibilities into a binary yes/no resulting in "impossible" instead of "not very probably, but could happen".

No, it’s impossible.

Todd Graham hasn't coordinated a defense in 15 years.  HHis defenses got worse every single year he was the HC at Arizona St - his last year they had the 104th ranked scoring defense in the country.   He's also, possibly, allegedly, an even bigger asshole than Herman.

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Lol. FCB basically just said Harrell isn't coming to Texas, but waiting to announce he is returning to USC just in case other HC opportunities present themselves. 

Such bullshit.  If he told USC he was declining Herman's offer they would have put up a billboard announcing his return.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chip can't be bothered to keep up with actual college football news.  V-Tech has already named their new DC, and it isn't Odom.  Odom is going to be announced as the new Memphis HC.

Chip passed out Friday happy hour while writing this update and just came to and hit send.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Todd Graham hasn't coordinated a defense in 15 years.  HHis defenses got worse every single year he was the HC at Arizona St - his last year they had the 104th ranked scoring defense in the country.   He's also, possibly, allegedly, an even bigger asshole than Herman.

That can't be real.  If it were I would hope our AD would have the sense to fire Herman if he tried to pull something like that.  

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The only part of it that was believable is the idea that Herman would be looking at connections from all the way back in his Rice days. I can believe that. It's just that none of them are, you know, qualified candidates or anything.

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You guys cats are keep caterwauling like a clowder of deranged crazed civets in heat.

51 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

ftfy for alliteration

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You guys cats are keep caterwauling like a clowder of deranged crazed civets in cheat.

FTF Surly.

My favorite take so far is the "Harrell is a country boy at heart, and thus will eschew the bright lights of LA for the small-town environment of . . . Austin, Tx."

e1277c8fb9db0f838cd871218cc4ff3b.jpg

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

So that's one head job Harrell won't be getting. 

Only other job we know he has interviewed for is UNLV - and if he takes that job over the USC or Texas OC positions then he's crazy.

Congrats to Traylor. Excited about that because I always pull for our satellite schools. 

Well except for our agricultural and mechanical branch. 

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The only part of it that was believable is the idea that Herman would be looking at connections from all the way back in his Rice days. I can believe that. It's just that none of them are, you know, qualified candidates or anything.

They didn't have any overlap at Rice - but i do believe that he (or someone on his staff) might have  reached out to him for consultation.

Or Chip Brown is just full of shit.

As stated in the recruiting thread, that Chip Brown article was propoganda bullshit to prop up Chris Ash. 

probably look like 

OC: Lashlee

QB: Tim Beck

WR: Samples

OL: Hand

RB: Drayton

TE: [insert whomoever]

DC: Chris Ash

DE: Giles (lol)

DB: [insert whomoever]

DT: [insert whomoever]

See you guys at the 2020 Next Coach thread. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Such bullshit.  If he told USC he was declining Herman's offer they would have put up a billboard announcing his return.

Harrel waiting out the HC market before making a decision is really the only thing that makes sense though.   Otherwise he would have either taken the Texas job, or as you mentioned, announced he was staying at USC.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There's no possibly or allegedly to it. Todd Graham is a gaping asshole.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sounds like Traylor to UTSA as head coach 

Happy for him that he gets to return to the state and glad that he really can't hurt Texas in recruiting while at UTSA.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Harrel waiting out the HC market before making a decision is really the only thing that makes sense though.   Otherwise he would have either taken the Texas job, or as you mentioned, announced he was staying at USC.

I think you're right that the only reason we haven't heard anything is because Harrell is seeing what shakes loose - but I think if Harrell has told us 'no thanks' and is staying at USC unless a HC offer comes (as Chip is implying) that we would have heard that from the USC side.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This seems like positive news for Texas. You'd think if it's a choice between Traylor and Harrell, Harrell has to have an edge because of his experience at USC. So did Harrell turn them down? Who the hell knows, but at least that means he's still a candidate for us. Maybe he has other options as well. 

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

As stated in the recruiting thread, that Chip Brown article was propoganda bullshit to prop up Chris Ash. 

probably look like 

OC: Lashlee

QB: Tim Beck

WR: Samples

OL: Hand

RB: Drayton

TE: [insert whomoever]

DC: Chris Ash

DE: Giles (lol)

DB: [insert whomoever]

DT: [insert whomoever]

See you guys at the 2020 Next Coach thread. 

I think that's a better coaching staff than the one that got us to 10 wins.

59 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Agree except Nebraska fires solich after a nine win season

And look where that got them. 

Maybe but Surly never passes up an opportunity to bitch about something. I think some people here would rather have Herman fail so they can say “I told you so”.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think you're right that the only reason we haven't heard anything is because Harrell is seeing what shakes loose - but I think if Harrell has told us 'no thanks' and is staying at USC unless a HC offer comes (as Chip is implying) that we would have heard that from the USC side.

I'm sure his Agent is advising him to not tell anyone anything.  Even if he was to get a HC offer he didn't want to take (UNLV for example) he could try to leverage that.  

Just now, Mo Horn said:

This seems like positive news for Texas. You'd think if it's a choice between Traylor and Harrell, Harrell has to have an edge because of his experience at USC. So did Harrell turn them down? Who the hell knows, but at least that means he's still a candidate for us. Maybe he has other options as well. 

I can't see Harrell turning down that job - I think maybe Traylor was just a better fit.  He 's got more experience and has a ton of HC experience (albeit at the HS level).

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Exactly. If that's the case then announcing that he's staying as offensive coordinator at USC has no downside. It helps his current employer, if he doesn't get a head job then that's all anyone remembers (turning down Texas for USC), and if he does get a head job then nobody blames him for leaving an assistant position to run a program.

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

ESPN reporting that Chad Morris is a strong candidate for the now open OC position at Auburn

Yup...

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. If that's the case then announcing that he's staying as offensive coordinator at USC has no downside. It helps his current employer, if he doesn't get a head job then that's all anyone remembers (turning down Texas for USC), and if he does get a head job then nobody blames him for leaving an assistant position to run a program.

But he wouldn't announce that until actually signed.  And I'm sure a meaningful USC or Texas offer (especially if in the $2MM range as being reported) comes with some buyout protection which could hurt his chance at a smaller school head job.    I think he's intentionally keeping all his cards on the table.  

And I agree Traylor may have been a better fit for UTSA.  Maybe that's the one he was waiting out.  I'm not sure what other jobs are open (or will open) at this point he would be a candidate for.

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet? I expected to hear a lot by now. 

Edited by Mo Horn

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet. I expected to hear a lot by now. 

I'm just assuming no one knows shit. Just like the Herb Hand hire. We will find out when it is done. And it will be glorious.

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet. I expected to hear a lot by now. 

sign language know nothing GIF by Sign with Robert

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If I’m Harrell, I wouldn’t bet my next career move on Tom Herman. It’s too big of a gamble IMO to assume Herman will give me the autonomy to do my job. 

...so instead you would be it on Clay Helton, who has been almost fired the last 2 offseasons and who is going to either be almost fired or straight up fired next year unless he wins the conference (which is less likely than Texas winning the conf TBH)?

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ok fine, but is it a staff that can get us 15 wins?  That’s allegedly the target. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet? I expected to hear a lot by now. 

For all the things Herman has done wrong, he has done one thing very right over the last three years, and that is control the flow of information to the $9.95ers. They haven't been told what to say, so they aren't saying anything.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok fine, but is it a staff that can get us 15 wins?  That’s allegedly the target. 

I'd like to see how the rest of the staff fills out (can Ash get us a legit LB coach & DT coach) - but I think the three top guys could get this team to the Playoff.   But I also pump sunshine like a motherfucker...

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Like Mack agreed to move on, huh?

Yeah same exact scenarios.  Mack wasn't technically fired and had this program in tip top shape, just like Urban at OSU.  Fired or not isn't even the point.  OSU nor OU didn't replace their failed head coaches with coordinators.

38 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Long time Rice Owls booster checking in... In case it needed emphasis, I'd like to officially confirm that Todd Graham is indeed a much bigger asshole than Tom Herman.

Carry on.

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

For all the things Herman has done wrong, he has done one thing very right over the last three years, and that is control the flow of information to the $9.95ers. They haven't been told what to say, so they aren't saying anything.

I posted it earlier but I think the Orangebloods guys are definitely being told what to say.  Dating back to midseason when they reported Eagles missed practice before TCU 'for personal reasons' instead of a blow up with coach Meh.   They are reporting now that no offers have been made and Herman is taking his time (i.e., trying to save face if GH turns us down).   I think they were one of the first to report their would be firings last Sunday which was possibly TH throwing them a bone for putting his other bullshit out there.  At least that's my speculation.     

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Neither of those programs fired their head coaches.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Fired or not isn't even the point. 

You’re the dumbass that started arguing the stupid point. No shit it wasn’t the same scenario...

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah same exact scenarios.  Mack wasn't technically fired and had this program in tip top shape, just like Urban at OSU.  Fired or not isn't even the point.  OSU nor OU didn't replace their failed head coaches with coordinators.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I posted it earlier but I think the Orangebloods guys are definitely being told what to say.  Dating back to midseason when they reported Eagles missed practice before TCU 'for personal reasons' instead of a blow up with coach Meh.   They are reporting now that no offers have been made and Herman is taking his time (i.e., trying to save face if GH turns us down).   I think they were one of the first to report their would be firings last Sunday which was possibly TH throwing them a bone for putting his other bullshit out there.  At least that's my speculation.     

Or they could be keeping quiet while details/money are being talked about. USC did not report what their extension was to GH for a reason. I would like to think CDC & CTH are smart enough to do the same.