Jump to content
elfenix

2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

For some to call Astros fans overconfident assholes on a Longhorn fan site is rich. They probably just forgot what that feels like.

It's a little funny, isn't it?

"You guys are so arrogant for thinking your heavily favored team is gonna win!"

Sounds familiar...

Edited by TexArcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

That Soto kid is fun to watch,.

I usually agree.  Not so much last night.  He needs to calm down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys. Do you think the week long layoff was really bad for the Nats?

 

Seriously was there a dumber story leading up to game 1 than the handwringing that the Nats won the LCS too quickly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You guys. Do you think the week long layoff was really bad for the Nats?
 
Seriously was there a dumber story leading up to game 1 than the handwringing that the Nats won the LCS too quickly?
Are you new to baseball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brew said:

Can’t ask for a much better Game 1 than that. Looking forward to Strasburg/Verlander tomorrow.

would be great if Alvarez knew how to hit a breaking ball.  What was that movie, with the Sheen kid, where the beast player hit monster shots but couldn't hit the curve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

would be great if Alvarez knew how to hit a breaking ball.  What was that movie, with the Sheen kid, where the beast player hit monster shots but couldn't hit the curve?

Not sure if this is sarcasm or you really can’t remember the movie Major League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
17 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:
You guys. Do you think the week long layoff was really bad for the Nats?
 
Seriously was there a dumber story leading up to game 1 than the handwringing that the Nats won the LCS too quickly?

Are you new to baseball?

Please tell me more with your superior intellect. My years of watching the sport and consumption of analysis just can’t possibly measure up. Now here’s a crazy idea. Maybe, just maybe, there are a ton of factors that go into a team winning or losing a 7 game series and the number of days off after the LCS creates an interesting correlation with an outcome but isn’t necessarily the cause of that outcome. Maybe. 
 

But I don’t know sports 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Please tell me more with your superior intellect. My years of watching the sport and consumption of analysis just can’t possibly measure up. Now here’s a crazy idea. Maybe, just maybe, there are a ton of factors that go into a team winning or losing a 7 game series and the number of days off after the LCS creates an interesting correlation with an outcome but isn’t necessarily the cause of that outcome. Maybe. 
 

But I don’t know sports 

Did you not hear when the broadcasters said that the team with less rest has won 6 of the last 7 World Series?

It's a storyline that comes up pretty much every time there's a big difference in days off.  It's just something to talk about.  And there is a trend there.

And it hasn't been proven wrong in this case just because y'all won the first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since starting the season 19-31 ... the Nationals have the best record in baseball. In the playoffs, they eliminated LAD 3-2 and swept StL.  Houston has their hands full. 

Edit:  Thnx Now This

 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Since starting the season 19-31 ... the Nationals have the best record in baseball. In the playoffs, they eliminated LAD 4-1 and swept StL.  Houston has their hands full. 
 

 

and won the wild card 4-3.  Imagine if MIL had pulled that off, would be HOU -LAD most likely.  Beat LA 3-2?

Edited by NowThis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's a storyline that comes up pretty much every time there's a big difference in days off.  It's just something to talk about.  And there is a trend there.

No, I get that part. I’m just saying, and hear me out, that the storyline is dumb. 
 

The Nats may lose, but it will have everything to do with the Astros being a better and deeper team- not the number of games the Nats practiced after winning the LCS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I usually agree.  Not so much last night.  He needs to calm down.

He’ll be 21 this coming Friday.  Should we advocate our football players to calm down after doing special things on a much smaller stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

He’ll be 21 this coming Friday.  Should we advocate our football players to calm down after doing special things on a much smaller stage?

I think he means stop hitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

No, I get that part. I’m just saying, and hear me out, that the storyline is dumb. 
 

The Nats may lose, but it will have everything to do with the Astros being a better and deeper team- not the number of games the Nats practiced after winning the LCS

That's all true.  I think the reason the rest storyline is semi-interesting is because it's counterintuitive.  You'd expect the best team to have a quicker time of things in the LCS and therefore more days off, so the trend in the WS should be more or less reversed.

My guess is that it doesn't actually have anything to do with days off.  I think pressure situations get a little easier each time you're in one.  If Team A sweeps through their league 7-0 and Team B wins in 5 games and 7 games, I would expect Team B to have a small edge in the World Series, other things being equal.  Plus, when heading into an elimination game there's probably a psychological edge if you've faced elimination and won before and the other team hasn't.  But I'm just guessing.

 

Edited by TexArcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Perhaps .. but, Soto’s “exuberance” has been frowned upon by some opponents. 

Nah, I don't care about that stuff in the playoffs.  Regular season, yeah, drop your bat and get around the bases and don't show anybody up.  This is different.

I'd like him to calm down and act like a human being at the plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Perhaps .. but, Soto’s “exuberance” has been frowned upon by some opponents. 

I did not notice over Smoltz's exuberance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Perhaps .. but, Soto’s “exuberance” has been frowned upon by some opponents. 

Hopefully he'll watch and learn from Springer, Bregman, and Correa's stoicism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully he'll watch and learn from Springer, Bregman, and Correa's stoicism.

Springer may of got a triple had he not admired his hit so much last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Quagmire said:


Springer may of got a triple had he not admired his hit so much last night

didn't they have a runner on first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
didn't they have a runner on first?

Kyle Tucker but don’t let that fact affect the narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think he could have made it to third regardless.

And Soto is a pimp. I’d love to have him and whatever the fuck “exuberance” came with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Springer is easily on 3rd if he hustles. His piss poor excuse was highly irritating also.



It hit Eatons glove and then he kicked it and Robles had a chance to catch that.

I don’t get the grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought with first base open was to just walk Soto.  Hate it when I am right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It hit Eatons glove and then he kicked it and Robles had a chance to catch that.

I don’t get the grip.

If you don’t understand why a fan would be irritated with a player hopping down the line because he thought he hit a homerun instead of hustling then I’ve got nothing for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tucker seems to be taking some heat about tagging up on 2nd with the Springer hit off the wall.  What is the right baserunning move there?   Should he gamble that it won't be caught and move halfway to 3rd, effectively taking the chance to advance if it's caught?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tucker seems to be taking some heat about tagging up on 2nd with the Springer hit off the wall.  What is the right baserunning move there?   Should he gamble that it won't be caught and move halfway to 3rd, effectively taking the chance to advance if it's caught?

He scored even though he tagged up, so anyone giving him heat for that probably argues with walls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tucker seems to be taking some heat about tagging up on 2nd with the Springer hit off the wall.  What is the right baserunning move there?   Should he gamble that it won't be caught and move halfway to 3rd, effectively taking the chance to advance if it's caught?

without watching a replay today, i thought it hit off his glove and then hit the ground.  it's not like it was clearly some wall-shot that was over eaton's head.

smoltz last night said tucker should've been closer to 3rd, instead of trying to tag, but he scored regardless.  whether springer could've made it to 3rd is a toss-up, but getting thrown out at 3rd with tuve coming up would've been devastating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

He was on second.

Literally.  For some dumb ass reason, he was tagging up.  Springer would have passed him if he ran hard the entire way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally understandable if he was doing his war day battle. If he misses it, he hurts his clan. But he's doing a stupid challenge that you can do anytime. Cmon man.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Literally.  For some dumb ass reason, he was tagging up.  Springer would have passed him if he ran hard the entire way.

obviously he should've been closer to 3rd.  but if it was reversed and jake was out there, that catch is made.

springer didn't hesitate because of tucker.  you could see him go slow out of the box.

onward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tucker seems to be taking some heat about tagging up on 2nd with the Springer hit off the wall.  What is the right baserunning move there?   Should he gamble that it won't be caught and move halfway to 3rd, effectively taking the chance to advance if it's caught?

Tom Tango had a thread on this on Twitter this morning. TL;DR: He should not have been playing to tag up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and to add, tucker's heads-up baserunning tagging up from 1st is why he was on 2nd to begin with.  if he was close to 2nd thinking it might drop, he's back at first and who the hell knows what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

It's a little funny, isn't it?

"You guys are so arrogant for thinking your heavily favored team is gonna win!"

Sounds familiar...

I’m a Braves fans with Cards season tickets, so my team (or teams) aren’t here. I’m just reading, watching, and hoping for good games. My only comment was related to Dennison’s comment which isn’t true based on just reading the other thread. The Astros fans have every reason to be confident, just don’t try and back pedal on where everyone was over the weekend after one game.

Watching the slow transition from cocky to a little worried when the underdog pops your team in the mouth (especially when every Astros fan out there had Game 1 marked in ink with a W) is the best part of sports. That doesn’t mean the favorite doesn’t come back and win easily, but it keeps it interesting for the rest of us with no rooting interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tucker story line is stupid at this point. If it’s a homer run, he scores. If it’s caught, he tags and makes 3rd. The only play that would have been a problem was if it drops in front of someone and they potentially throw him out or keep him from scoring on a hit. Based on the ball flight and Springer’s reaction, it was a high likelihood of being out of the park or caught which in either case he was in good position for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brew said:

Watching the slow transition from cocky to a little worried when the underdog pops your team in the mouth (especially when every Astros fan out there had Game 1 marked in ink with a W) is the best part of sports. That doesn’t mean the favorite doesn’t come back and win easily, but it keeps it interesting for the rest of us with no rooting interest.

the astros thread from game to game (even inning to inning) during the regular season is an emotional roller coaster.  we tend to be slightly hysterical.  you get used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, someone in the "For Sale" area on Surly is selling a single ticket for tonight's game. $475. Not bad when compared to StubHub prices + fees.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brew said:

Watching the slow transition from cocky to a little worried when the underdog pops your team in the mouth (especially when every Astros fan out there had Game 1 marked in ink with a W) is the best part of sports. That doesn’t mean the favorite doesn’t come back and win easily, but it keeps it interesting for the rest of us with no rooting interest.

I don't think most Astro fans were marking down Game 1 in ink as a victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the astros thread from game to game (even inning to inning) during the regular season is an emotional roller coaster.  we tend to be slightly hysterical.  you get used to it.

I was legit surprised no one was calling for Hinch to be fired last night.  I guess Pimphand was busy with other stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quagmire said:


Springer may of got a triple had he not admired his hit so much last night

 

While it made him look a little foolish , it's not that unreasonable for Springer to have thought that ball was gone, considering it would have cleared the fences by 20 feet in the regular season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...