Last Jedi Was So Bad I Only Saw It Twice

Eskimohorn

On 7/18/2023 at 9:39 AM, Longhornsnus said:

After decades of not caring about Star Wars my son has challenged me (or asked me politely) to watch the entire 9 episodes with him, as time permits.

I just finished TLJ and came to see if there was a thread talking about how it was horrible, and you guys did not disappoint. Even my kid said it was bad and mentioned he barely finished IX because TLJ just ruined the whole thing for him.

Rimbo gonna get called into this bitch like the Candyman here pretty soon.  

I still haven’t watched RoS a second time. and I used to be a huge SW nerd. Well, still am. Being that this was all made for a younger audience, I use my kids as measuring stick of sorts. They like the prequels and even ask to rewatch occasionally. They sort of liked TFA, but they really haven’t wanted to watch any of the sequels trilogy after the first viewings.  

Is there a good movie or series somewhere in the sequels centered around Oscar Isaac? I think so.

A stand alone X-Wing Squadron movie starring Isaac probably would have worked. 

I read that Dune and The Rise of Skywalker filmed at the same time, in the same Jordan locations. Did Oscar just walk across the lot and film his Duke Leto scenes? Man, good work if you can find it. 

word.  kenobi telling luke in star wars about 1000 generations of jedi and all that is cool and mysterious.  everyone could imagine their own ancient stuff and deciding how much was real and how much is some weird religion or legend thing.  actually seeing it made it dull.

We didn’t see that. They were well known and politically active and involved in everything.

The Jedi should’ve been like a cult there were rumors about but few knew the truth.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

word.  kenobi telling luke in star wars about 1000 generations of jedi and all that is cool and mysterious.  everyone could imagine their own ancient stuff and deciding how much was real and how much is some weird religion or legend thing.  actually seeing it made it dull.

Was what we see really that “ancient” though? The Jedi are still powerful and well known when Anakin was a young adult. They were wiped out only a few years before A New Hope. Vader is still alive, assumingely middle aged, so it can’t have been more than a few decades. I always thought the mystery of the Jedi, including Rey’s comment that she thought they were a myth, was more because Tatooine and Jakku are characterized as distant outposts without much political involvement with the Republic/Empire, hence lawlessness, etc. The ancient past of the Jedi is still pretty mysterious, the sequels involve the ancient ruins of the temple and some stories Luke knows about from being taught, but we don’t see that past.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Longhornsnus said:

After decades of not caring about Star Wars my son has challenged me (or asked me politely) to watch the entire 9 episodes with him, as time permits.

I just finished TLJ and came to see if there was a thread talking about how it was horrible, and you guys did not disappoint. Even my kid said it was bad and mentioned he barely finished IX because TLJ just ruined the whole thing for him.

You should've opted for The Last Dragon instead of The Last Jedi.

Sho'Nuff!

On 7/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, BrickHorn said:

My view is the prequel trilogy should never have been done.

A hazy past is a powerful narrative element. It mirrors our own experience in life, coming of age and hearing war stories about the youthful exploits of what are now seemingly responsible, mild-mannered adults (parents, teachers, professional mentors).

The war story is most effective when limited to recollected glimpses in a kind of revisionist highlight reel. The lack of detail lends an air of mystery and intrigue to the story. There’s some freedom for the audience to fill in the details on their own, to imagine what it must have been like and to fill in the gaps with their own speculation. Going back and spoon-feeding us all the details inherently diminishes the war story, even if the prequel is well executed. And the Star Wars prequels were not well executed. 

But the fucking nerds won out and Lucas gave them what they demanded: a detailed view into what turned out to be a pretty banal past fictional reality. 

Yeah but Clone Wars was awesome and the prequel trilogy sucked. The problem wasn’t the timeframe. 

On 7/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, Red Five said:

It had only been 18 years since Jedi were everywhere. Including fighting in the clone wars. It would be like 18 years from now not knowing what a policeman is.

Star Wars universe has space travel, hyperdive, cloning, light sabers, but no Google. Seems legit.

• Like 1