Webb Co. Sheriff says stay our of Nuevo Laredo (ongoing cartel warfare today)

clapclapclap

When I lived in New York State, crossing the border into Canada was never very exciting.  The most dangerous thing was buying too much maple syrup.

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’ve always wanted to drive from Texas to South America.  I don’t think that can be done without going through Mexico.

What about the Darien Gap in Panama and Colombia?  It pisses me off.  Pan-American highway my ass.

12 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

There’s never any reason to go to Mexico. Unless you’re poor. In which case, you still shouldn’t go to Mexico. 

I think Cabo and a large section of the Baja are still "safe" compared to many other areas of the country.    Same goes for Puerto Vallarta and few other enclaves on the Pacific coast.  Alot of Americans live there either full or part time.  

Mexico City is probably Ok to visit and much like many American cities where you just stay in the tourist areas or the more wealthier neighborhoods, you should be fine which is where some of the better markets and places to eat are near anyway.  Then you have some of the colonial towns close to Mexico City like San Miguel de Allende which are fine and homes to many US and Canadian Ex pats.  

Now the Caribbean coast is starting to get a little chippy, especially Cancun and some of it has even spread down to Playa del Carmen.   I've read different accounts about the situation, but it appears the local governments there don't want that area to become another Acapulco, so they are kind of addressing it with a sense of urgency.  Merdia  to the northwest of Cancun which is an interesting city seems to doing ok.

But yes, I'd  stay away from car travel anywhere in the north along the border.   If I had to go to Monterrey,  it would be by plane and treat it much like a visit to Mexico City.  

13 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I dunno man, shit is arguably as bad as ever in Juárez.  That said, I rode over with a buddy yesterday to help unload some furniture at a relative of his. His tio thanked me but then said "Now get your güero ass back to El Paso." 

username checks out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

It was a great & thriving place in the 1960s & 1970s. Haven’t been there since though. Very hot women too.

Still is.   Might be one of the wealthier cities in Mexico because of it's proximity to the US and American or other foreign  companies setting up their Mexican subsidiaries there.  

The women are very much hot with many of them looking very much gringo.     The larger concentration of Mexicans with Spanish blood are in the north because most indigenous tribes inhabited the south when Mexico was colonized.  I grew up  in the RGV  back in the 80's and we'd go to the beach or the La Plaza mall in McAllen and would approach some of the younger ones with lighter skin and colored eyes  and get a response in Spainsh.  And yea her folks were usually loaded too.    But man most were hot as heck and I tell my boys if while you are off at college and you meet such a gal,  get to know her better!  LOL.  Wealthy  Mexican Dads like to take are of their daughters.    

• Like 1

When I lived in New York State, crossing the border into Canada was never very exciting.  The most dangerous thing was buying too much maple syrup.
What about the Darien Gap in Panama and Colombia?  It pisses me off.  Pan-American highway my ass.

Since they discontinued the ferry you have to ship your car around it and either fly across or go by ship. It’s fairly costly and time consuming, but that trip is the second thing on my bucket list.

19 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Still is.   Might be one of the wealthier cities in Mexico because of it's proximity to the US and American or other foreign  companies setting up their Mexican subsidiaries there.  

The women are very much hot with many of them looking very much gringo.     The larger concentration of Mexicans with Spanish blood are in the north because most indigenous tribes inhabited the south when Mexico was colonized.  I grew up  in the RGV  back in the 80's and we'd go to the beach or the La Plaza mall in McAllen and would approach some of the younger ones with lighter skin and colored eyes  and get a response in Spainsh.  And yea her folks were usually loaded too.    But man most were hot as heck and I tell my boys if while you are off at college and you meet such a gal,  get to know her better!  LOL.  Wealthy  Mexican Dads like to take are of their daughters.    

Yeah, but the dads & brothers will take care of you if you’re not careful & respectful.

Hottest girl I met there was my Dad’s gorgeous 19 year old secretary, “Cookie”. Black hair, aquamarine eyes, and a body that just wouldn’t quit. Very sweet & bubbly personality. Unfortunately no pics.

40 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We have a condo in SPI, lots of the owners are from Monterrey.

The moms are all smoking hot and my 17 year old makes time with the daughters whenever he can.

Lots of German immigrants settled in Monterrey and a lot of the surnames are still around. My Mexican ancestors from Monterrey were German. Last name was Von Der Meden.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Lots of German immigrants settled in Monterrey and a lot of the surnames are still around. My Mexican ancestors from Monterrey were German. Last name was Von Der Meden.

[CSB]My King Arthur looking ass is sitting at a gas station in Laredo. Gas station panhandler comes up, asks me "Do you speak English or Spanish?" I pop off in French "which do you prefer?" He laughs and says "I had to ask, some of you guys from Monterrey are whiter than we are."[/CSB]

Still doesn't make any damn sense.

I've gotten back across the border twice without being searched by speaking French. I mean, that was my job at the time, but Border Patrol wouldn't believe it. So they'd make me say something in it. If you speak French, you CAN'T be smuggling anything.

Also got the "Are you from Mexico" thing in Colima because they assumed I was part of the local Germanity.

Anyway, I've gotten killed every single time I ever went there.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, but the dads & brothers will take care of you if you’re not careful & respectful.

Hottest girl I met there was my Dad’s gorgeous 19 year old secretary, “Cookie”. Black hair, aquamarine eyes, and a body that just wouldn’t quit. Very sweet & bubbly personality. Unfortunately no pics.

Yep.   You might end up like some of these dudes who get on the wrong side of a cartel...... Chopped up in a trash bag starting with your nuts and working up and down.  

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Sounds like you might have a half sibling or two running around. Oh and be careful developing some of your dad's old camera rolls.

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

We have a condo in SPI, lots of the owners are from Monterrey.

The moms are all smoking hot and my 17 year old makes time with the daughters whenever he can.

Makes time?  Do they go down to the soda fountain and get some pop too?

• Like 1

Tons of Germans and Koreans. Was a real shock when I moved there. You get used to the violence though

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Shitload of Germans in CH also (I'm friends with a Blaugrund and Felhaber), not sure why. I have a German great great something that was a farmer in CH...

Is this really a concern?  I mean, borderlandbeat was posting pics of bodies hanging from bridges and heads littering the NL town square like a decade ago, and I'm not aware of there having been a spike in spillover violence here in the US.  I can see this being concerning if you have relatives in Mexico or have to travel there for business, but for the rest of us who can keep visits to Mexico constrained to meals at Enchiladas Y Mas?  It seems like we have much more proximal concerns worthy of our anxiety.

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

how did you not need a passport I thought they were needed now no matter what?

I thought so too but I came back across about a year ago without one. CBP was not happy but let me in. I think they have to.

That said if you have a passport card the wait is shorter because you can scan it. Last time I crossed with a group this was a 20 minute difference, so I always suggest you get a card

4 more incidents in Tamaulipas reported since the start of this thread on borderland beat (some happened before the thread though some after)

2 blockades in Rio Bravo with a shoot out and one dead

2 found dead after torture

1 kid killed traveling back to Oklahoma with family on the road that follows the Rio Grande

and one attempted car jacking of some people that had just crossed the border from Laredo at Bridge II and had a truck follow them from basically right after the bridge and try and pull them over then others tried to block them as they pulled a U to head back to the bridge

looks to me like cartel fighting has left some of the lowest level shit piles broke and they are turning to general crime to try and get quick cash plus the back and forth fighting has left some of the lower level shit heads vulnerable to being caught in the middle of a change over