CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I got my first dose yesterday! It was the Moderna one.

My arm is sore as shit but otherwise no other issues.

Also, my first appointment had to be rescheduled because I’m allergic to penicillin. They required me to have a note from my doctor saying I was okay to receive the vaccine. So if you have any type of medication allergy, go ahead and get a note from your doc just in case.

My hospital may be being over cautious but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I got my first dose yesterday! It was the Moderna one.

My arm is sore as shit but otherwise no other issues.

Also, my first appointment had to be rescheduled because I’m allergic to penicillin. They required me to have a note from my doctor saying I was okay to receive the vaccine. So if you have any type of medication allergy, go ahead and get a note from your doc just in case.

My hospital may be being over cautious but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Thanks. My wife is allergic to amoxicillin so that’s good to know.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-leaders-waited-months-to-approve-distribution-plans-11610737935?mod=djemalertNEWS

Operation Warp Speed leaders waited more than two months to approve a plan to distribute and administer Covid-19 vaccines proposed by U.S. health officials, administration officials said, leaving states with little time to implement a mass-vaccination campaign amid a coronavirus surge.

State and local officials had been clamoring for months for help preparing for the largest vaccination program in U.S. history when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a playbook in September to guide them.

The CDC had wanted to start helping states plan in June how to get people vaccinated. But officials at Operation Warp Speed rebuffed the agency’s plan for distributing vaccines. They adopted a similar plan in August only after exploring other options—and then held the release of the CDC’s playbook for states for two weeks for additional clearance and to put it out with another document, the officials said.

Operation Warp Speed was supposed to be a high-water mark of the Trump administration’s coronavirus response, but it stumbled at the finish line because of problems in federal planning and foresight. Now, the public-private partnership is scrambling to speed up vaccinations, adjusting eligibility guidelines while states race to increase their abilities to administer doses on a large scale.

“They didn’t plan for the last inch of the last mile, the part that matters most—how you’re going to actually vaccinate that many people quickly,” said Dr. Bruce Gellin, a former Health and Human Services vaccine official and president of global immunization at the Sabin Vaccine Institute.

The federal government has distributed more than 30 million doses, about a third of which have been administered, according to the CDC. President-elect Joe Biden said Thursday he would urge Congress to provide $160 billion in funding to launch a national vaccination program, among other Covid-related items, and set up community vaccination sites nationwide.

Spoiler

Michael Pratt, an Operation Warp Speed spokesman, said the government “has been working closely with jurisdictions on planning the execution of the ‘last inch’ for months” and had provided funding, supply kits, guidance and an assigned CDC point of contact, among other support.

He said Operation Warp Speed was conducting appropriate due diligence in vetting the CDC’s distribution plan and said the playbook needed to go through the interagency-clearance process before its release.

The disjointed planning has upended some hospitals’ vaccination plans.

In the midst of a pandemic surge in Massachusetts last month, UMass Memorial Health Care canceled an event to vaccinate health workers because it had no idea how many doses it would receive. A month later, the hospital system says it learns how many doses it will receive just one to two days before they arrive.

The hospital system had relied on frequently shifting guidance from state officials, who had gotten their information from federal officials. Hospital officials worried over whether to hold back half of their shots just in case.

On Dec. 31, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health advised hospitals to prepare to hold back half their allotted doses to ensure there was enough to give people their second doses. Six days later, state health officials told hospitals there was no need to do that. Two days after that, another email came from health officials, urging hospitals to be prepared to hold back doses.

A senior official at the Covid Command Center in Massachusetts said hospitals shouldn’t hold back second doses and called on the federal government to “provide more information into the expected allocation of vaccine for a number of weeks in order for the state to plan accordingly.”

The December rollout launch was marred by a lack of coordination. Seniors without appointments waited in long lines for hours for shots in Florida, pharmacies bailed on carefully laid plans and offered shots to anyone in stores, and appointment websites crashed. More recently, states have scrambled to change their guidelines for which Americans are eligible to receive vaccine doses and how hospitals should administer their doses, prompting mass confusion—while millions of doses sit on shelves.

“This is the toilet-paper situation all over again,” said Eric Dickson, the UMass hospital system’s chief executive, referring to the hoarding of vaccine doses. He said federal leaders failed to issue clear guidance on how vaccines would be allocated and when they would arrive. “The federal government blew it.”

The slow pace likely means tens of thousands of lives that could have been saved will be lost, estimates Dr. Ashish Jha, a health-policy professor and dean of Brown University School of Public Health. More than 388,000 Americans have died of Covid-19 to date, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Officials on Operation Warp Speed and on the White House task force have privately faulted the CDC’s handling of the prioritization of vaccines for the slow rollout. Those officials were unhappy that the CDC and its federal advisory body on immunizations planned to prioritize health-care workers over older Americans and urged the CDC to take a looser approach that would have made more Americans initially eligible to receive the vaccine.

The CDC recommended that health-care workers and nursing-home residents receive the first doses of vaccine, followed by people ages 75 and over and front-line essential workers. The CDC responded that health-care workers are a high priority for vaccination because they are exposed to Covid-19 and need to be healthy to take care of patients.

HHS leaders have said states weren’t flexible enough in their distribution, slowing the rollout, and recently called on states to expand those eligible for the first round of shots.

Some administration officials say they were caught off guard by states’ lack of preparedness, saying Warp Speed leadership had several meetings with state health officials where resource issues didn’t come up and that some states still haven’t drawn down the funds the CDC allotted to them for vaccinations. One administration official characterized the CDC attitude as: “We got this.”

CDC Director Robert Redfield implored Congress in September to provide about $6 billion to the agency to help states prepare for the vaccination campaign. The next month, state officials asked congressional leaders for at least $8 billion for vaccine distribution.

Congress didn’t pass a bill authorizing more funds for the CDC for vaccine administration until late December. Officials in a number of states say they had to use funding approved earlier by Congress for other urgent needs for the pandemic.

A month after Warp Speed’s May launch, CDC officials proposed a plan to get vaccines into people’s arms that involved using McKesson Corp. as a main distributor of the vaccine. After the H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009, the CDC rewrote its contract with McKesson to include an option the CDC could exercise in the event of a pandemic for the company to distribute a vaccine.

But by July, Operation Warp Speed leaders believed the CDC’s planning just dusted off the same vaccination playbook used for the H1N1 pandemic, according to a senior administration official. HHS officials urged CDC officials to overhaul what they had been planning and to immediately start bringing in more private-sector partners.

The CDC’s plan was based on lessons learned from H1N1 as well as pandemic planning in the years since then, according to CDC officials.

Military leaders in Operation Warp Speed, tapped for their logistics expertise, wanted to explore other options, given the size of the vaccination campaign and the imperative to roll the vaccine out quickly.

Over the next two months, officials met with other potential distributors. In mid-August, though, HHS announced that McKesson—the CDC’s recommendation—would be a main distributor.

Mr. Pratt, the Operation Warp Speed spokesman, said: “OWS and CDC did due diligence appropriate for a mission of this scale to explore options before settling on McKesson in a timeline that had no impact on shipping or distribution of doses. McKesson has been a fantastic partner.”

McKesson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

CDC and other public-health officials also urged the use of existing systems with  immunization records of which vaccines a person has received, and when. They had to convince Operation Warp Speed leaders that these systems, or registries, were essential for a successful vaccination program, according to CDC and other public-health officials. Warp Speed eventually approved funding for upgrades to the systems in the fall, and military experts helped make them.

In mid-September, the CDC finally released its playbook for vaccination programs, directing jurisdictions to submit their plans in 30 days.

The playbook had been ready two weeks earlier, federal officials said, but was held up for additional clearance and to be released with another Operation Warp Speed document on distributing vaccines, called “From the Factory to the Frontlines.”

Mr. Pratt said the document needed to go through interagency clearance and “was being edited literally up until the evening before the playbook went out.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Here 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/biden-lays-out-1-9-trillion-covid-19-relief-package-n1254334

An extra $1 trillion would be allotted to help struggling Americans with the third round of stimulus checks — giving them $1,400 direct payments, as well as an extra $400 a week for unemployed and other affected workers. Biden is also expected to ask Congress to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour to help front-line workers battling the pandemic.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There's also this medicine, delivered via an injection that is being distributed....um what's it called?

I am not arguing whatever stupid thing that guy is, but vax rates among general pop aren’t sufficient as sole explanation to explain any reopenings. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I am not arguing whatever stupid thing that guy is, but vax rates among general pop aren’t sufficient as sole explanation to explain any reopenings. 

No, they aren't especially as it's less than what? 1-2% now?, but I've been scrolling around this morning and the cult is searching among the flotsam and jetsam for a floatation device and they've landed upon this one for COVID. It's to the point that I'm tossing a bad argument after a bad argument, but at this point Americans are all talking past each other anyway. NY lost their state supreme court case regarding restaurants so Cuomo is allowing orange zones to open at 50% capacity if I understood it right. He's also opened up vaccines to anyone over 65 but they're running out of supply. I'm hoping the production can get them rolling out again. So instead of the narrative being 'what about this study is valid/not valid, it's the politics stepping in again and ruining public health.

Well... Folks we are fucked.

Almost all planning, and all assumptions with administration of the vaccine has ALL been based on the fact the federal government for holding back doses to insure the necessary second booster.  THAT WAS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL LIE.

So as fucked up as things were for my diatribe post... are worse.  There simply are nowhere near as many doses out there, and the Trump administration specifically lied about it. Azar is not resigning over the Capitol Insurrection, he is resigning to not have to face the music of lying to the American public about Operation Warp Speed, and added another layer of difficulty and complexity to the most difficult undertaking our country has every attempted.

God I wish I felt as good about things as I did at the beginning of the week.  Too bad the Trump administration did not give a single shit about the American people and only focused on the well being of a single individual.

• Rage+1 1

What I am reading says that they stopped holding back the second dose reserves at end of the year, two weeks ago. If that is true they absolutely did the right thing. Many of us were posting about in at the time. Of course that should have been communicated by the feds at the time in full transparency. 

Edited by Anastasis

Actually over the weekend for moderna reserves. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/

Operation Warp Speed, which is overseeing vaccine distribution, stopped stockpiling second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine at the end of last year, those officials were told. Shipping of the last reserve doses of Moderna’s supply, meanwhile, began over the weekend.

The shift, in both cases, had to do with increased confidence in the supply chain, so Operation Warp Speed leaders felt they could reliably anticipate the availability of doses for booster shots — required three weeks later in the case of the Pfizer-BioNTech product and four weeks later under Moderna’s protocol.

Did they ever find out from the trials the importance of having a second dose exactly one month after the first one? What if it's 2 months? 3? Could even the people getting a shot now be screwed because they can't get the 2nd one for weeks after the one month deadline or do we know if it doesn't matter much?

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

What purpose does this serve at all?  Maybe he talks more of his constituents into risky situations to contract Covid?   What is he angling for?  Or he's just being his normal dumbass self, I suppose, just hearing himself talk.  Saying dumb shit because he knows it will get airtime.

• Like 1

German 90 YO grandmother update: her appointment got cancelled due to shortage of vaccine. 

Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

I feel fairly confident it’s because Pfizer is diverting more vaccine to the US because our dumb asses won’t wear masks and our hospitals are at the breaking point. Feels bad man. 

• Rage+1 1

Speaking of Germany, what could possibly go wrong once the Germans start concentration camps for COVIDs...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13773701/germany-covid-rule-breakers-refugee-camps-mutant-virus/

GERMANY'S worst Covid rule breakers will be held in detention centres under new proposals being drawn up by a number of state governments.

The move forms part of the country's efforts to stop the spread of the more contagious mutant strain of the virus detected in the UK last month.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Speaking of Germany, what could possibly go wrong once the Germans start concentration camps for COVIDs...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13773701/germany-covid-rule-breakers-refugee-camps-mutant-virus/

GERMANY'S worst Covid rule breakers will be held in detention centres under new proposals being drawn up by a number of state governments.

The move forms part of the country's efforts to stop the spread of the more contagious mutant strain of the virus detected in the UK last month.

We should copy this. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Has anybody seen anything in Biden's plan about helping those who are long hauler Covid survivors rehabilitating physically and financially?  I am speaking of people who survived, but are severely impaired from Covid ravaging their lungs in particular.

Not specifically, no. The general plan is pretty long and you may have read through it: https://joebiden.com/covid-plan/

but I did not see that type of care covered. However, some areas of that plan are vague, perhaps intentionally, because the future needs are still being discovered?

The long-term effects of COVID on our healthcare system I suspect are going to be immense.  Can't recall if this had been mentioned above, but one doctor had mentioned that 3/4 of asymptomatic folks have bad chest x-rays.  I'm sure glad we were shooting for herd immunity the old-fashioned way of just trying to spread the virus as fact as we could.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/asymptomatic-covid-lung-damage/

Of the thousands of COVID patients she’s treated, every one with COVID symptoms has an abnormal chest x-ray. Even three out of four who were asymptomatic had a bad chest x-ray.

Bankhead-Kendall says on a COVID lung, “you’ll either see a lot of that white, dense scarring or you’ll see it throughout the entire lung. Even if you’re not feeling problems now, the fact that that’s on your chest x-ray, it sure is indicative of you possibly having problems later on.

It’s not yet clear the impact this lung damage will have on COVID patients long term or whether the injury will even heal. What is clear is that mask-wearing and a vaccine are a better alternative than even a mild case of COVID.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I’m all for this system, but for stupid people 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

We have it.  Covers a very large geographic area:

SEC-Circle-White-Letters-on-White-Backgr

I stopped trolling texags a good number of years ago, but popped back over there following a link from this board. They literally have threads where they are talking about mixing ivermectin horse paste with apple sauce to treat/prevent covid. There are posts literally debating the pros/con of horse paste vs. cattle formulations. I can't even. 

• Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I stopped trolling texags a good number of years ago, but popped back over there following a link from this board. They literally have threads where they are talking about mixing ivermectin horse paste with apple sauce to treat/prevent covid. There are posts literally debating the pros/con of horse paste vs. cattle formulations. I can't even. 

Gonna need a link to that one

36 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Gonna need a link to that one

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3174428

Sq 17

8:24p, 1/16/21

I've got the horse paste 1.87% and am thinking about adding this to my Zinc, Quercetin ,Vit D , etc regimen.

Was looking for dosage and frequency. The paste has markings on the plunger but the dosage by weight oddly is not linear. The amount recommended for 250# is significantly greater than 1/2 of the 500# dose

Of course I could go buy the 1% cattle if that is better / easier I guess because the paste is designed to be taken orally I would prefer to go with it
Found it on the senate thread page 2

• Haha 2

AggieP18

4:33p, 1/17/21

AG

As some anecdotal evidence for ivermectin, I know of several older ranches who got covid, took ivermectin and were back to normal within a day or two.

CyAg86

7:45p, 1/7/21

AG

I know a Dr who has her entire take the paste mixed with applesauce as a preventative measure.

It's like a bizarro triplehorn post, but instead of psychiatrists, it's veterinarians. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sq 17

I've got the horse paste 1.87% and am thinking about adding this to my Zinc, Quercetin ,Vit D , etc regimen.

Was looking for dosage and frequency. The paste has markings on the plunger but the dosage by weight oddly is not linear. The amount recommended for 250# is significantly greater than 1/2 of the 500# dose

Of course I could go buy the 1% cattle if that is better / easier I guess because the paste is designed to be taken orally I would prefer to go with it

Just wow.  

40 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sq 17

full. fucking. aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

AggieP18

4:33p, 1/17/21

AG

As some anecdotal evidence for ivermectin, I know of several older ranches who got covid, took ivermectin and were back to normal within a day or two.

CyAg86

7:45p, 1/7/21

AG

I know a Dr who has her entire take the paste mixed with applesauce as a preventative measure.

It's like a bizarro triplehorn post, but instead of psychiatrists, it's veterinarians. 

I know it's shocking but this isn't the first time someone has taken vet meds for other reasons than getting high.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

I know it's shocking but this isn't the first time someone has taken vet meds for other reasons than getting high.

Getting high on horse tranqulizers is more evidence based than mixing syringes of horse ivermectin with apple sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Getting high on horse tranqulizers is more evidence based than mixing syringes of horse ivermectin with apple sauce. 

I'll grant you that. I've heard the phenylbarbital for the dog seizures was ok. The fish streptomycin was a lot cheaper than yours. 

I know it's aggy. I work with these people. I am not condoning it. 

I am saying this is not new.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

Official COVID death count is 395,000 today. That's more than populations of Cleveland OH, Wichita KS, Bakersfield CA, or.....New Orleans. FFS, COVID has wiped out the equivalent of New Orleans. People on here snickered that it was fine to lose the equivalent of Lubbock, or St Louis, or Newark. Whatever. But fucking NOLA?

It also marks a macabre threshold, since we're now eradicating the top 50 largest cities in the US.  8 NFL cities, with Arlington TX and Tampa Bay FL due to be eclipsed tomorrow. 

I give these updates a little glibly, but it is horrifying and tragic that we've lost so many people they could fill some of our country's biggest and most vibrant cities. We've all visited or lived in some of these cities. Orlando. Honolulu. Madison. Pittsburgh. Anaheim. Boise. Salt Lake City. So many more. Take a moment to consider everyone in whatever city that is just...gone. It's pretty sobering. 

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

If the vaccine was 100% effective, I'd be fine with this - it would just be nature "fixing the glitch" ...  Unfortunately, if vaccine effectiveness drops because of continuing mutations (which may exacerbated because of the extent of transmission), good people will end up suffering as well.  Not as cool.  I guess nature is doing the best it can.