CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I think a lot more people want the vaxx than want to SAY "I want the vaxx".  

Pollster:  "Who are you voting for?"

Respondent: "Oh I'm still trying to gather facts, you know so I'm still undecided"....enthusiastically pulls lever for Trump

Pollster:  "So will you be getting the new Covid-19 vaccine?"

Respondent: "You know I have a lot of non-specific concerns I can't articulate so I'm not going to be getting the vaccine".....enthusiastically jumping lines and doing whatever they can to get vaccine since secretly they are terrified.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-did-this-swanky-houston-high-rise-get-covid-19-vaccines-ahead-of-most-people?ref=home?ref=home

The Montebello condominium complex in uptown Houston bills itself as one of the city’s “premier luxury highrises” with amenities like valet parking, concierge service, and a pool. Recently it added a new perk: COVID-19 vaccines for its elderly residents.

While health-care workers and senior citizens nationwide struggle to get their hands on a COVID-19 vaccine in the first wave of inoculations, the Montebello seems to have figured it out.

About 60 residents of the upscale condo complex have been vaccinated, the building’s general manager told The Daily Beast on Thursday—despite not being on Texas’ public vaccine distribution list.

“The state of Texas authorized it,” Montebello general manager Daniel Hancock said. “We’re working with a distributor... it’s a blessing we were able to get it.”

Hancock declined to tell The Daily Beast the name of the distributor, but said the building was eligible to receive the shots because of its high elderly population.

The Texas Department of Health did not respond to requests for comment on the arrangement.

When asked about reports of the Montebello vaccinating their residents for COVID-19, a spokesperson for the city of Houston’s health department said he wasn’t aware of it.

“All the distributors have to register through the state health department,” the spokesperson, Porfirio Villareal, said. “The apartment complex is not an approved provider. If a site is not approved, not on the list, and receiving shipments of the vaccine, then our recommendation is not to go to that site.”

The Montebello isn’t on the state’s list of vaccine recipients—which lists hospitals, pharmacies, local health departments, and health-care clinics only—or shown on the state’s map of vaccine provider locations.

David Fink, 68, was one of the Montebello residents to get vaccinated. He’d been receiving his flu shots through the building, and was happy to hear he was eligible to get a coronavirus vaccine, given his age.

“It was all above board,” he told The Daily Beast.

Both Fink and Hancock said they’d heard of other apartment buildings in the Houston area receiving the vaccine.

“We weren’t the first ones,” Hancock said. “It’s not only the high rises.”

Spoiler

Statewide, the rollout of the two FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines—produced by Pfizer and Moderna—has not gone as smoothly as it has for the Montebello.

Texas was allocated 1.2 million doses for the first three weeks but, on Tuesday, Gov. Greg Abbott said that a “significant portion of vaccines distributed across Texas might be sitting on hospital shelves as opposed to being given to vulnerable Texans.”

“The state urges vaccine providers to quickly provide all shots. We get plenty more each week,” he wrote on Twitter.

Later on Tuesday, the state announced that vaccinations could begin immediately among people over 65. The move goes against guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recommends vaccines only be allotted to health-care workers and residents of long-term care facilities.

However, the ultimate decision on who gets vaccinated—and when—lies in the hands of individual states. And, as the Houston Chronicle reported on Thursday, many distributors have already reached their allotment, leaving most elderly Texans struggling to find a place to give them their shot.

“Unfortunately, the truth is that the vaccine is NOT currently available to the vast majority of Texans who are 65 and older,” Gina Hinojosa, a Democratic state representative from Austin, wrote Wednesday on Twitter.

A former state representative, Jason Villalba, found that out first-hand. “I have parents over 65, one with co-morbidity conditions & lost my grandfather to COVID,” he tweeted. "We have called all of the locations near us on the [state health department] chart and all have said they don’t have vaccines.”

Tony Dasher, a professor at the Feik School of Pharmacology at San Antonio's University of the Incarnate Word, said he “wouldn’t have a problem” with the vaccine being distributed to areas with higher concentrations of older residents, like the Montebello, even if they aren’t traditional nursing home facilities.

“There are several communities that are targeted to retirees, and you can have a big cluster of people over 65,” Dasher told The Daily Beast. “It makes much more sense if you have the vaccine, and can get it to them, rather than have them all in a grocery store or a pharmacy and wait for people to get them there.”

Nationwide, the rollout of the vaccine has been slow and confusing.

In El Paso, city officials were forced this week to explain how some people who didn’t meet qualifying criteria were able to be vaccinated at a zoo, while in New York, a health-care provider was caught out allegedly administering “fraudulently” obtained vaccines to non-essential patients. 

Even hospitals have bungled the triaging: Over 100 nurses and doctors protested at Stanford University’s medical center protested after an algorithm determined that hospital execs would get vaccinated first.

According to Bloomberg News’ vaccination tracker, just over 3 million doses of the vaccine had been administered by the end of 2020, dramatically undershooting expectations, as a lack of federal guidelines and distribution capabilities have led to fears of vaccines expiring.

“I think that people are gonna have high expectations about the vaccine being available, like ‘It’s been delivered, why can’t I get it yet?’” Dasher said. “But that’s not gonna be the case for a while.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Trumpublicans will read this as evidence of the great scam ("See! We don't need this? It's all the New World Order's plan!!!") rather than just one more stick onto the "God damn, that orange idiot has totally fucked this thing up from start to finish" conflagration (which by now puts any Aggie "bonfire" to shame in terms of thermal output and deaths caused).

In other words, it won't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pfizer and Moderna seem fairly interchangeable, if need be.  
But one of those and Novavax certainly results in a third arm. Or a 12 inch penis. So, it’s a gamble.  
Unless you’re a woman in a non-pegging style relationship, I suppose.
Damn, this gets complicated fast...

If I get a third arm, I’m headed to mars.
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

Pfizer and Moderna seem fairly interchangeable, if need be.  

But one of those and Novavax certainly results in a third arm. Or a 12 inch penis. So, it’s a gamble.  

Unless you’re a woman in a non-pegging style relationship, I suppose.

Damn, this gets complicated fast...

At first I was excited about this option... but then, I started to do the math.

Would I have a second 12 inch penis? Would those inches be added to what I already have? How could her ass take the length?

The mind boggles.

The Oral History Of Silicon Valley's Sophisticated Dick Joke

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So...where’s a good place to get a relatively quick PCR test in Austin with a fast turnaround? Daughter will need to produce a negative test result from within 72 hours of her flight in order to go home.

Have you looked at Arcpoint Labs off 290? They quote 3-5 days. 

Edited by YChang

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

My brother in law's brother was 63 and diabetic but managed it well with diet and drugs. I think the covid caused his diabetes to cause a clot in his right foot but they couldn't do surgery because of the Covid and him being weak. He was going to lose the foot but he could never get well enough to allow the surgery. He just got so weak and tired. He gave out this evening. Everyone is different but the underlying condition of diabetes can cause serious issues. RIP M, he was a serious longhorn fan and good guy. 

Furk.  Sorry to hear this.

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

My brother in law's brother was 63 and diabetic but managed it well with diet and drugs. I think the covid caused his diabetes to cause a clot in his right foot but they couldn't do surgery because of the Covid and him being weak. He was going to lose the foot but he could never get well enough to allow the surgery. He just got so weak and tired. He gave out this evening. Everyone is different but the underlying condition of diabetes can cause serious issues. RIP M, he was a serious longhorn fan and good guy. 

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So...where’s a good place to get a relatively quick PCR test in Austin with a fast turnaround? Daughter will need to produce a negative test result from within 72 hours of her flight in order to go home.

Curative tests have tons of testing sites in Austin (and Houston), it's the oral swab PCR test and in my experience they turn results around in <72 hrs

Edited by Captainant

I can’t remember if this article has been linked here but it is an absolute must read. It’s by one of Austin’s own - Lawrence Wright and it’s LONG. It took me two hours and the audio version shows it’s over 3 1/2 hours, so read it when you’ve got some time.

I found this part about the mixed messaging over mask wearing interesting and illuminating. Since it’s been a topic of discussion in this thread, I thought some of y’all would be interested as well.

9431a626a9c608bef81cdb33aded1ed7.jpg

fa76c3e9e1670239223b2232593dbfdd.jpg
cdc7efa673c34eef92ddc52f6cf227da.jpg

I found this portion on the disparity between white patients and patients of color particularly devastating.

5a1ca73577f88330ee63ea4c43c87f40.jpg

And this section comparing the responses of Vermont and South Dakota points out the folly of the argument that mitigation efforts are damaging the economy and offer little benefit.

ee6472fa068a28d72267d8dea1b9104c.jpg
9c1fc4ead9415da15029423c5fa1adb0.jpg

Seriously. Go read it.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The death toll from COVID-19 has now equivalent to the population of Honolulu, HI. Obviously that's a tough thing to come to terms with for me -- I look around and imagine everyone on the road, in every house, every apartment, every school, every building, every beach...for miles and miles and miles...dead. What a colossal fuck up the response to this pandemic has been, from the federal administration down to bitchass republican state "leaders" to the fucking morons who don't abide by safety precautions. Fuck them all. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

People’s pharmacy does them I believe 

This is a bit disconcerting ...

Sir John told Times Radio: 'The mutations associated with the South African form are really pretty substantial changes in the structure of the protein.

'My gut feeling is the vaccine will be still effective against the Kent strain

'I don't know about the South African strain - there's a big question mark about that.' 

Britain first sounded the alarm about the variant VUI-202012/01 in December after an explosion of cases were linked to the strain.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9109397/South-African-coronavirus-mutation-BEAT-current-vaccines.html

• Hook 'Em 1