CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

13 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Well, fuck.  If it mutated faster than we can vaccinate, we’re fucked.  Add another endemic disease with a .2% annual death rate.

Just another reason why Atlas and the anti-mask crowd are fucking the rest of us - the more coronavirus floating around, the more likely it is that a mutation may pop up that hits the evolutionary jackpot and creates vaccine resistance.  And there is going to be a metric shit-ton of coronavirus floating around in the U.S. over the next month or two responding to evolutionary pressure from the vaccine.  Cross your fingers ...

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Just another reason why Atlas and the anti-mask crowd are fucking the rest of us - the more coronavirus floating around, the more likely it is that a mutation may pop up that hits the evolutionary jackpot and creates vaccine resistance.  And there is going to be a metric shit-ton of coronavirus floating around in the U.S. over the next month or two responding to evolutionary pressure from the vaccine.  Cross your fingers ...

Yeeeeah. That's why I'm glad you posted it; I had gone down a rabbit hole in an article regarding Sweden that came out last month (they lied to citizens regarding herd immunity as a strategy, etc) and was reading more about how the erosion of trust, the number of deaths compared to other Nordic countries, etc was playing out now that they are deep deep into the abyss and I never went back to read more about this mutation. Scary, because we are a lot more like Sweden (with individual states acting like countries) and no travel restrictions (like how Norway told Swedish citizens--'yeah, no, you can't come here'.) so the spread never really gets slowed down.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

And some of the strategies being floated about wrt half doses and delayed series seem like a not good set up to apply vax pressure and break out a mutation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And some of the strategies being floated about wrt half doses and delayed series seem like a not good set up to apply vax pressure and break out a mutation. 

Yeah, this reminds me of the first 10 minutes of every zombie movie ever made.  You'd hope that the people making policy are being thoughtful about the potential implications, but I think we all know that that's just not the case right now ... perhaps it's time to stock up on shot guns, hatchets, etc., just in case?

50 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Tested positive on 12/28 and showed up in person.  Great fucking job, idiot

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1345788322950602753?s=20

She was medically cleared on the 3rd. What is the issue here? I thought some doctors were going from date of symptoms, not test due to lags in results.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need more on Olivia Beavers.

Just an all pro name.  

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

She was medically cleared on the 3rd. What is the issue here? I thought some doctors were going from date of symptoms, not test due to lags in results.

Don't know.  CDC quarantine rules are 10 days.  I'd be pissed if I was a colleague of hers.

England going into lockdown...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55538937

Everyone in England must stay at home except for permitted reasons during a new coronavirus lockdown expected to last until mid-February, the PM says.

All schools and colleges will close to most pupils and switch to remote learning from Tuesday.

Boris Johnson warned the coming weeks would be the "hardest yet" amid surging cases and patient numbers.

He said those in the top four priority groups would receive a first vaccine dose by the middle of next month.

All care home residents and their carers, everyone aged 70 and over, all frontline health and social care workers, and the clinically extremely vulnerable will be offered one dose of a vaccine by mid-February.

• Hook 'Em 1

A Dr. Brandenburg weighing on changing human's DNA through injections?  Was his professor, Dr. Mengele unavailable for comment?  

In all seriousness, his license is gone forever.  But it does make you wonder how easy it could be to do this to larger quantities along the supply chain.  We see kind of hippie-ish doctors in our family, more on the wholisitic side.  But for this vaccine, I'm going to a nice Jewish or Asian fellow that believes strongly in hard science.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

A Dr. Brandenburg weighing on changing human's DNA through injections?  Was his professor, Dr. Mengele unavailable for comment?  

In all seriousness, his license is gone forever.  But it does make you wonder how easy it could be to do this to larger quantities along the supply chain.  We see kind of hippie-ish doctors in our family, more on the wholisitic side.  But for this vaccine, I'm going to a nice Jewish or Asian fellow that believes strongly in hard science.

I pulled his license record to see where he trained at. Unlike Texas, Wisconsin does not appear to report where a licensee trained. 

He's also apparently going through a divorce proceeding right now involving minor children.  

Uh, I'm gonna go out on limb here and say...yeah, you're not getting custody.  Of course, this did technically happen in 2020...so fate says the Family Law Judge for Aurora County, WI is a Qanon believer and will tell the kids that their father is a goddamn hero.  

The only question is now is how fucked up will it be for Joe Biden and what sort of Herculean lift is his administration gonna have to make to try and get our country and economy on track?

IT would honestly be harder to fuck this up much more, without actually trying.  Oh wait... never mind.....

Catching up on this thread a little and I thought I'd add the retail perspective.

I've seen on this thread and from members of the media the idea to "just let the private sector pharma chains handle it" or something to that effect.  It's not quite that simple.  Neither big box pharmacies in grocery stores or stand alones like CVS/Walgreans are set up to anything like this volume.  They neither have the staffing or the physical space to handle thousands of people a week streaming through there for vaccines in a socially distant manner.  (The big boxes might have the total space but it would ruin the rest of their businesses.)  There's also the staffing issue.  They're pretty lean to the point that WMT has been sued numerous times over the years on issues relating to pharmacist staffing, hours, etc.  The current suits between the DOJ and WMT touch on this as well.  There is also the issue of cold storage capacity.  

In short, "turn it over to the private sector" isn't that simple.  Here's what we should do instead:

The pharmacy chains, however, are part of the total solution.  We should push as much product out through the various channels.  Retail, hospitals/clinics, and county/state health departments.  Then, cannibalize current medical staffing to help deliver injections.  Retired doctors, dentists, vets (yes, vets), whoever wants to volunteer.  Hell, pay them.  Have a very limited number of elective surgeries and now you have the physical space in the hospitals and clinics.  

With the pharma chains and the hospitals, you have the tech infrastructure already in place to schedule appointments to help with volume and throughput.  Need to stagger people in 15 minute windows and the soonest you have is Feb 15?  Fine.  Sign up.  Just like a doctor's appointment.  

Let the hospitals and clinics handle current patients, especially ones concerned with allergic reactions.  Want a quick and easy shot?  Go to the retail clinics.  Then let the county and state health departments track down and deal with hard to find patients like nursing homes, HCW, etc.

As long we have enough supply, this ranking system is ridiculous.  Also, if some nursing home worker doesn't want it, move on.  Quit fucking around.  Putting the ranking system aside, if you have 150M vaccinated by mid March, that in and of itself is a great thing and protects a lot of high risk types.

We've have 10 months to think about this and the people that have supposed to have been thinking about this are like they haven't thought about it at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm hoping this is a backlog / "we forgot to count any COVID cases over the last week" kind of thing, but Worldometers shows Texas with over 28,600 new cases today (with Bexar and Travis #s yet to hit).  For reference, the highest new case count prior to today on Worldometers was 22,696. 

Needless to say, but if you're in Texas, stay home as much as you can and mask up if you have to go out.  January is going to be shitty. 

Just now, Gap03 said:

I'm hoping this is a backlog / "we forgot to count any COVID cases over the last week" kind of thing, but Worldometers shows Texas with over 28,600 new cases today (with Bexar and Travis #s yet to hit).  For reference, the highest new case count prior to today on Worldometers was 22,696. 

Needless to say, but if you're in Texas, stay home as much as you can and mask up if you have to go out.  January is going to be shitty. 

Travis' nuimbers just posted.  Cases not terrible @ 564, but new admits @ 115 is bad.  Real bad. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Travis' nuimbers just posted.  Cases not terrible @ 564, but new admits @ 115 is bad.  Real bad. 

I saw that Austin was projecting that they would run out of ICU beds by the middle of January.  Maybe they had a peek at today's ICU admissions.  Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by Gap03

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

115?! Yikes. That's gotta be Christmas coming in. 11 days. I am not gruntled.

Wait until you combine Christmas with New Years.

Are schools coming back in Travis or are they all online? If online, the peak admits will be around January 15-25. If not we get the peak in February.

Just now, Gap03

It's already shitty. Stay the fuck indoors

• Hook 'Em 2

Our region has no ICU beds apparently. I"m not going anywhere. The only one in the family who is leaving the house is Mr. Whiggins, who had a mandatory test this week for work (negative) but is pretty isolated save one other person in a nearby office. Hoping that will get us through until our area gets more vaccine. I have noticed a lot of people asking about it on a local media account so that's a positive (fewer anti vaxx sentiment).

I sure am glad that COVID-19 disappeared right after the election ...

Don't know if you guys had seen this yet, but it's an interesting visualization of where hospitals are under strain. 

https://carlsonschool.umn.edu/mili-misrc-covid19-tracking-project

Apparently, >10% of total hospital beds being used for COVID patients is concerning, and over 20% represents extreme strain.  Looks like North and East Texas + SA are getting pounded pretty good, with Houston and Austin following behind.  SoCal and Arizona are just getting turbofucked right now (like 40% of total beds / 50-60% of ICU beds devoted to COVID).  Hopefully we don't get that bad here in Texas.