CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

39 minutes ago, Nope said:

But also don’t take stupidly high amounts because Joe Rogan told you to take 5,000 IU a day. My brother was doing that and stopped when his kidney started aching from the toxicity.

You should only take those type of amounts if you get tested and your levels are severely low and take them temporarily to get them back up again.  But again its not that harmful anyway. 

I would say 1000 to 2000 IU  a day is fine so long as your levels are not abnormally low already like below 20. If they are take more temporarily until they get higher. 

Anyway its best to get some sun if you can. Its why the Irish and Swedes are white and the Nigerians are dark. It ain’t some sort of evolutionary accident that’s the case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From my friend who works at a school here in Texas-

"Oh, and, today saw a kindergartner with another girl's mask. Waving it around in the air, then threw  it across the table to her. She then proceeded to put her mask over her eyes."

I told her that's still more responsible than some adults I've seen.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You should only take those type of amounts if you get tested and your levels are severely low and take them temporarily to get them back up again.  But again its not that harmful anyway. 

I would say 1000 to 2000 IU  a day is fine so long as your levels are not abnormally low already like below 20. If they are take more temporarily until they get higher. 

I'm no doctor, but 5,000 IU per day shouldn't cause toxicity in a healthy person.  Not even close.

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This doc is claiming masks have zero benefit with respiratory viruses, and that the coronavirus is "dying away" through "herd immunity".  I have a hard time thinking there is anything but a crass motivation, either political, financial, or both at play, but the problem is the appeal to authority:  "hey, he's with Johns Hopkins and studied at Columbia, surely he knows more than YOU do".  Never mind that 1000X the similarly credentialed docs and scientists are in fundamental disagreement with him, now FOX has their expert, and they're going to run with it and kill people.

Dr. Ramin Oskoui

The new Task Force guy, Dr. Scott Atlas is a proponent of herd immunity and has made the rounds on Fox and the other shows talking it up. Trump and Trump's economic advisors love Atlas because he favors putting human capitol stock back to making their paper stocks more profitable.

Here's a take (from NPR) :

"He's an MRI guy," says Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health. "If I was confused about some brain lesion and what the MRI findings were, I'd be happy to call him up."

Atlas is from Stanford and that's a name that resonates in the public's mind as being trustworthy. Except his colleagues don't agree with him so much (those dern librard docs from Cali):

A group of 78 researchers and doctors from Stanford Medical School took aim this week at Dr. Scott Atlas, the expert President Donald Trump recently added to the White House pandemic response task force, for embracing and peddling what they described as "falsehoods and misrepresentations of science" in his public musings about the coronavirus.

From ABC News 9/10/20

Also:

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is the problem that so many fail to grasp. it's not about you. it's not about the college football players. it's not about your mask preventing your contracting covid. 

it's about society.

none of those dead people irresponsibly attended that wedding. none. yet 7 are dead because of that event.

This is it. Boils down to zero fucking consideration for anybody else. Like the scum of the earth that leave their shopping carts all over the HEB parking lot.  Lazy inconsiderate fucks.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

This is it. Boils down to zero fucking consideration for anybody else. Like the scum of the earth that leave their shopping carts all over the HEB parking lot.  Lazy inconsiderate fucks.  

hahaha is this a callback? 

i remember once admitting that while shopping with an infant to very occasionally leaving a shopping cart in the parking lot because of the baby crying and being at the end of my rope, and just getting thoroughly castigated on the old site. it may have even been the old old site.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i remember once admitting that while shopping with an infant to very occasionally leaving a shopping cart in the parking lot because of the baby crying and being at the end of my rope, and just getting thoroughly castigated on the old site. it may have even been the old old site.

Haha, it was not. I think that people juggling kids and especially a baby get a little leeway. That situation explains approximately 0.000001% of the assholes at HEB.   

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is the problem that so many fail to grasp. it's not about you. it's not about the college football players. it's not about your mask preventing your contracting covid. 

it's about society.

none of those dead people irresponsibly attended that wedding. none. yet 7 are dead because of that event.

Which is why the fb thread pisses me off. Anytime something is posted about a ton of new cases on a college campus the response is always something snarky about “how many have died.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

You're a monster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Haha, it was not. I think that people juggling kids and especially a baby get a little leeway. That situation explains approximately 0.000001% of the assholes at HEB.   

i remember someone came at me particularly hard, and i was like "hey, i'm not perfect like you, i guess" which seemed to resonate. i just remember being surprised at how vehement the response was to an admission that i had categorized "yeah, not my best moment, but i've done that"

it's been more than a decade since i've had an infant, though. 

but you are correct. at the beginning of covid (during the great dearth of toilet paper epoch) i actually took a picture of an abandoned parking lot shopping cart with a discarded pair of gloves in it (you know, where you put the kids) and texted it to my main text group. disgusting.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Wait. I thought this was a tradition like chunking your e-scooter into a tree after you're done using it.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I thought I was as angry as I can get about the spreading assholes. Then you brought up HEB shopping cart in the parking lot assholes and I got even angrier. 

I almost instinctively gave you a rage reaction. Close call. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm coming back around to supporting the death penalty, but only for child molesters, rapists, people who don't wear masks during a pandemic, and people who leave their shopping cart out (and aren't excused by a disability or a toddler). 

I pick up essentials curbside at a few different stores, one of which includes a giant Wal-Mart that usually has everything in stock.  EVERY TIME the employee comes to my car and wants to talk.  Every time.  I mean, I literally just called your phone #, talked to a human, told them my slot # (oh deer lord), said I was cool with the substitutions, and yet I need to roll down the window for some chode who has his nose hanging out of his mask like an MS Paint portrait of an Aggie's dick.

I know, stop going there.  I just love Sam Walton so much.

26 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Wait. I thought this was a tradition like chunking your e-scooter into a tree after you're done using it.

I don't know what it is about Covid-19, but I am seeing e-scooters left in the weirdest fucking places lately.  Not just medians and in front of closed businesses, but the shoulders of highways, I saw one at the exit of a Chevron car wash the other day, and the fucking strangest one was one toppled over on its side with a single crutch next to it.  Like he carried the crutch with him on the scooter, got to where he was going and was suddenly healed?  

Ok, this is interesting.

On my google news feed, there is a headline 

Fauci would bet on effective and safe coronavirus vaccine by November or December

That is repeated by NY Post and a couple of other righty outlets.

The original report came from CNN and a talk he gave during a "Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute panel on global pandemics."

But none of the non-right-leaning outlets are reporting it as above.  Which is probably good, because apparently what he said is that we will likely have an indication of efficacy by that time, not a full-fledged, ready to go vaccine.

Fauci on his best days never seems to be fully quoted whenever he speaks. The number of times I have had to provide full quotes or contextual information became so great that now, I just throw up my hands and say, 'fine, don't believe the scientists, but make sure you have all your essential oils stocked up whenever you fall ill, cause science doesn't care about your feelings.'

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Fauci on his best days never seems to be fully quoted whenever he speaks. The number of times I have had to provide full quotes or contextual information became so great that now, I just throw up my hands and say, 'fine, don't believe the scientists, but make sure you have all your essential oils stocked up whenever you fall ill, cause science doesn't care about your feelings.'

The man's public remarks are so incredibly clear and honest, and in plainspeak while still being scientifically rooted........it's a fucking crime how much of his day is spent clarifying his points to reporters, politicians, and idiots alike.  How does he just not topple the podium over and scream, "What fucking part of 'Phase II' trials did you not understand you fucking child?!?!?!?!  It's the Phase that comes after 1, and before 3.  You need a fucking slide-rule to figure this count to three, you fucking cocksucking accessory to murder!"  

He's going to have a hundred high schools named after him over the coming decades.  While the people he works for will have to answer before the Hague.  

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fauci would bet on effective and safe coronavirus vaccine by November or December

Yeah, that's a virtually fact-free headline.  I don't expect anything more out of most media outlets, and certainly not the NY Post, but if the goal were to actually deliver factual information, then it should read "Fauci Believes At Least One Vaccine Under Test Will Prove Effective and Safe For Rollout By November or December" or something of the sort.

Just now, Lobo said:

The man's public remarks are so incredibly clear and honest, and in plainspeak while still being scientifically rooted........it's a fucking crime how much of his day is spent clarifying his points to reporters, politicians, and idiots alike.  How does he just not topple the podium over and scream, "What fucking part of 'Phase II' trials did you not understand you fucking child?!?!?!?!  It's the Phase that comes after 1, and before 3.  You need a fucking slide-rule to figure this count to three, you fucking cocksucking accessory to murder!"  

He's going to have a hundred high schools named after him over the coming decades.  While the people he works for will have to answer before the Hague.  

I don't think he will (HS). Don't know that he'd want it that way either. I think he was appreciative of the SNL skit with Brad Pitt (which was very nicely done). At the end of the day, he's one of many many scientists and researchers across the US who just want to do good work and work 'good' at what they do. We've upended it all. It's not new, really. It's headed down this path for quite awhile, and the trend is getting worse as we move further away from funding any 'basic' research towards applied research with a lot of strings attached. They used to coexist, but discovery costs money and times change. For all the money China has spent boosting their programs, they still had a problem with the inquiry. They were too tied to the old party apparatchik method of science. Here we are thinking that their old way which discouraged pondering the questions and pushed for publication (and here $$$$$) is a great and new idea for success while China is going to eat our shorts if it suddenly dawns on them that you can have both.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Which is probably good, because apparently what he said is that we will likely have an indication of efficacy by that time, not a full-fledged, ready to go vaccine.

The protocols for the MRNA and PFE Phase III trials have been released (they are posted on the DT medical thread).  The planned interim analysis points suggest Nov could be in play if the interim data shakes out just right, but it is entirely dependent on the case counts. If I am interpreting it right, It does not appear to me that they need a whole bunch of positive cases, like a very small number <50 in a trial with N=30k, that shake out strongly favoring the vaccine to trigger their submission for approval. If they submit for an authorization of some form at these early read outs, the concern in my mind then becomes whether they have enough follow-up to detect potential safety signals. I am sure that any numerical imbalances of safety events will be heavily scrutinized, but it just does not seem like a lot of exposure time to detect infrequently occurring events.  

Edited by Anastasis

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why does Twitter allow this account to continue?

Didn't someone post on here about it relating to Cain's final wishes or some such? And that his daughter or another family member took it over? Ignoring what I believe to be very poor taste  I don't see why Twitter w/o censoring, so to speak, could not at least require the account to give up the blue check mark or the @ tag that it is associated with his last name since Cain is deceased and we can ALL verify that he is as deceased as a Norwegian Blue Parrot. The account is supposed to be 'carrying on his mission,' and says it is run by family members and his team, so I am reluctant to just shut the whole thing down completely. I don't agree with them or their stance, but the pinned tweet at the top of their account does lay out their philosophy. The hard part comes when they are advocating on those health issues (mask usage) because they are speaking on behalf of someone who is well, dead and no longer privy to the intel he received as a member of Congress (although that didn't seem to make a difference but nevertheless). So it's a quasi limbo land of having a platform of with a little more power but no authority behind it. We are screwed aren't we?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They're sick, morbid fucks, who just want to see how sick and fucking twisted we are?

I mean, we've got an answer -- ALL the sick and twisted.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Didn't someone post on here about it relating to Cain's final wishes or some such? And that his daughter or another family member took it over? Ignoring what I believe to be very poor taste  I don't see why Twitter w/o censoring, so to speak, could not at least require the account to give up the blue check mark or the @ tag that it is associated with his last name since Cain is deceased and we can ALL verify that he is as deceased as a Norwegian Blue Parrot. The account is supposed to be 'carrying on his mission,' and says it is run by family members and his team, so I am reluctant to just shut the whole thing down completely. I don't agree with them or their stance, but the pinned tweet at the top of their account does lay out their philosophy. The hard part comes when they are advocating on those health issues (mask usage) because they are speaking on behalf of someone who is well, dead and no longer privy to the intel he received as a member of Congress (although that didn't seem to make a difference but nevertheless). So it's a quasi limbo land of having a platform of with a little more power but no authority behind it. We are screwed aren't we?

Yeah, I like Brisket's answer better.