Jump to content
Mrs Whiggins

CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Other than that Mrs Lincoln how did you enjoy the play? 

I remember anastasis all the way back to horn fans as consistently worried about the bad actors in our IC. And there are plenty of examples going back decades. It’s a pretty far reach IMO to take that and turn it into advocating for Russia. Just my opinion

We're all concerned about bad actors in our IC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

ok, dude, i was giving you the benefit of the fucking doubt. wtf. that's obviously not to what i was referring. i was referring to doubting our intel community. don't misrepresent my shit like that. 

The quote was intended to be in the voice of FR, which is what you were characterizing in the portion I quoted. Sorry if that missed the mark. 

Edited by Anastasis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just FTR, this may be the first time in the history of this sub that I am not the one that brought up the IC, FISA, Mueller, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The quote was intended to be in the voice of FR, which is what you were characterizing in the portion I quoted. Sorry if that missed the mark. 

ok, all good, bro. just crusty handling aisd zoom while trying to work. i haven't smoked for most of this year, but if i did:

ad44ad2c98fbeb82b0a9589b1fecbd16_large.p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're all concerned about bad actors in our IC. 

I believe you are. And I believe anastasis is. I believe many folks are willing to look the other way when the IC uses less than legal (or downright illegal) methods to “protect” the US from foreign actors. And that is somewhat defensible depending on level of threat and type of tactics used
 

Apparently some also seem to want to look the other way when such tactics are applied domestically. That is a precedent we must do our best to keep from being set IMO, no matter how nefarious the acts being investigated may be. If it requires criminal behavior to stop criminal behavior, what does it matter who is in charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

just crusty handling aisd zoom while trying to work.

Tell me about it man. My kids need to get back in F2F ASAP. Shit ain't working for the middle one especially. Thus my continued frustration with anti-mask wearing messaging. I don't think that Ivor Cummings and the like-minded band of twitter HCQ adjacent dip shits are Kremlin operatives pushing Russian messaging. I think that is just brain worms on display.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

 

That's his game.  Stiff the contractors.  That's why anyone dealing with this shit bag shouldn't do fuck all without being paid up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Anastasis said:

Tell me about it man. My kids need to get back in F2F ASAP. Shit ain't working for the middle one especially. Thus my continued frustration with anti-mask wearing messaging. I don't think that Ivor Cummings and the like-minded band of twitter HCQ adjacent dip shits are Kremlin operatives pushing Russian messaging. I think that is just brain worms on display.   

i think that the russians have attached to q and other messages that coincide with things about which we should actually be concerned. like your concern with the intel community. it's a lot like this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

 

In the article it mentions that Congress passed some funding for the postal service but the Senate is ahem...not doing anything. Guess they are just interested in paying for judges.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Tell me about it man. My kids need to get back in F2F ASAP. Shit ain't working for the middle one especially. Thus my continued frustration with anti-mask wearing messaging. I don't think that Ivor Cummings and the like-minded band of twitter HCQ adjacent dip shits are Kremlin operatives pushing Russian messaging. I think that is just brain worms on display.   

I agree w/ respect to Ivor, Doug G Frank, etc. We're all experts now and we have the "likes/thumbs up/retweets" to prove it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Why didn't you post the other tweets he posted on the same day?

As was posted above, more info and more mask availability changed the discourse over time.

Thanks for the post. Check in here every now and then the last 2 pages were diahrrea.

masks, gloves, hand sanitizer were all in short supply and hospital staff/first responders needed them. His stay at home message being conveniently ignored in the post was weak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, y'all had a helluva night.

I am personally glad that last night I was watching football, then sleeping, as opposed to reading and posting on this thread, and drinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And just FTR, this may be the first time in the history of this sub that I am not the one that brought up the IC, FISA, Mueller, etc.  

I can vouch for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

 

Why does every damn thing have to have his name on it?  I realize he wants it.  Stimulus check sent to my dead father had his name on it.  Government communication should be from the US government, not re-branded as largess from Dear Leader.

I didn't get this card.  Maybe it got sidelined next to the pallet of dead chicks in the mail.  Makes sense that his guidelines would fit on a postcard though:

1. Don't wear a mask, it's not manly
2. Liberate <Fill in your state here>!
3. Own the libtards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Why does every damn thing have to have his name on it?  I realize he wants it.  Stimulus check sent to my dead father had his name on it.  Government communication should be from the US government, not re-branded as largess from Dear Leader.

I didn't get this card.  Maybe it got sidelined next to the pallet of dead chicks in the mail.  Makes sense that his guidelines would fit on a postcard though:

1. Don't wear a mask, it's not manly
2. Liberate <Fill in your state here>!
3. Own the libtards!

Breaking News!

He’s somewhat of a narcissistic sociopath. Just a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09/bonkers-federal-podcast-downplays-covid-19-blasts-health-restrictions/

 

 

Quote

In a stunning podcast released by the Department of Health and Human Services, two top officials at the department repeatedly downplayed the COVID-19 pandemic, railed against mitigation efforts, called closures of in-person schooling “nonsense,” and said US journalists do not “[give] a damn about public health information.”

 

Quote

The podcast, released on the HHS website September 11, is part of a series hosted by Michael Caputo, who currently holds the title of HHS assistant secretary of public affairs. Though Caputo has no background in health care, the White House installed him in the department in April—a move reportedly made to assert more White House control over HHS Secretary Alex Azar. Caputo is a longtime Trump loyalist and former campaign official. He got his start as a protégé of Roger Stone and later worked as a Moscow-based advisor to Boris Yeltsin and did public relations work for Vladimir Putin.

 

Quote

Caputo has most recently made headlines for working to interfere with and alter scientific reports on COVID-19 prepared by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The meddling was intended to make reports more in line with messaging from Trump, who has admitted to downplaying the pandemic. Caputo also raised eyebrows with a Facebook live video, reported by The New York Times Monday, in which, without evidence, he accused government scientists of engaging in “sedition” and claimed that the CDC is harboring a “resistance unit.” He also spoke of long “shadows” in his DC apartment and said left-wing “hit-squads” were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

 

Spoiler

With his slightly more upbeat HHS podcast series, The Learning Curve, Caputo spotlights the work of HHS officials so that listeners can “learn from the people that I am learning from.” In the September 11 episode—in which he notably calls government scientists “an incredible group of experts”—Caputo spoke with Elinore McCance-Katz, head of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which is a branch of the HHS.

McCance-Katz, who Caputo described as “one of the angels of the department,” is a psychiatrist and holds a PhD from Yale in infectious disease epidemiology. She was the chief medical officer of SAMHSA during the Obama administration but resigned after two years saying SAMHSA wasn’t doing enough to treat people with serious mental illnesses. The Trump administration reappointed her to the agency in 2017, and she has since publicly aligned with some of Trump’s views on the pandemic.

In the podcast, Caputo and McCance-Katz’s conversation began unremarkably, with the two discussing the opioid epidemic and related HHS efforts. But about 20 minutes into the hour-long episode, the discussion shifted to criticism of stay-at-home orders and other mitigation efforts. Both Caputo and McCance-Katz suggested that stay-at-home orders were unnecessary and only exacerbated the mental toll the pandemic is having on Americans.

“Nonsense”

Though public health experts have long noted that lockdowns are indeed draconian, they also acknowledge that they’ve been necessary to curb the insidious spread of the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. Such movement restrictions and distancing measures have largely been effective at controlling outbreaks in countries worldwide—apart from in the United States, of course, which has failed spectacularly at managing the deadly pandemic.

Still, Caputo and McCance-Katz dismissed the mitigation strategy as one promoted only by rich people, who can easily manage to stay at home. “The people who say ‘It’s safer at home. Stay at home,’ tend to be people who are fairly affluent,” Caputo said.

“Yeah, it probably is safer at home for them,” McCance-Katz responded. “They go to some nice house, some big house with all the amenities.”

They went on to suggest that activities such as going to a football game or a movie theater are mainly enjoyed by people of the “lower strata of our economic system" and that is why those activities have been restricted. Meanwhile, “wealthy people with the house on the beach, they’re watching Netflix and every other streaming platform,” Caputo added. People who are essential workers, such as those who work in hospitals, “don’t have access to these subscriptions,” he said.

“And I’ll just, I’m going to say it,” McCance-Katz said soon after. “We shut down the entire country before the virus, in my opinion, had a chance to get around the entire country. Why?” The stay-at-home orders are akin to using “a sledge hammer when I think we needed a scalpel,” she added.

Caputo agreed, saying, “No doubt. And you know what? To me, the damage is done.”

Death and despair

The two go on to discuss the pandemic’s impact on children, expressing disgust that in-person learning has been suspended in many places to try to curb disease spread. “What is this nonsense that somehow it’s unsafe to return to school?” McCance-Katz asked after noting that most children infected with SARS-CoV-2 do not get seriously ill. Though moments before they noted that people in the “lower strata” often live in more crowded, multigenerational homes, they failed to discuss the risk of children passing on the virus to family members and other people in their communities.

Caputo—who, as noted, has been interfering with CDC’s scientific reports on the pandemic—moved on to blaming the US media for being “dishonest” and warping the public’s perception of the virus. He also blamed the media for “knocking the president” and “trampling” optimism over COVID-19 treatments and vaccines. “I don't think the United States media gives a damn about public health information,” he said.

“I don’t, too,” McCance-Katz responded.

Toward the end, McCance-Katz offered a lighter outlook. Though she speculated that “thousands” might die from pandemic-related despair, she argued that Americans are resilient and that “the despair will abate.”

Caputo, however, ended on a darker, confusing note. Though he had spent much of the episode downplaying the pandemic, he concluded by emphasizing the seriousness of COVID-19 and its death toll. “I find myself every morning, the first time I use my voice, I’m talking about death,” he said.

“We hear reports in our meetings... These people [with COVID-19], they drown in their own fluids,” he said. “And the doctors have told me that it is the most profound fear that one can have. And that the looks on their faces when they’re dying is just something that they can't forget. These doctors can’t forget it. And the way—and I talk—this is the first thing I talk about in the morning.”

According to a fresh report by Politico, Caputo called an emergency staff meeting Tuesday to apologize to HHS employees about his comments on the Facebook live video, in which he claimed the CDC was harboring a “resistance unit.” Some HHS staff told Politico they got the impression Caputo planned to step down.

To date, the United States has reported more than 6.5 million cases of COVID-19 and over 195,000 deaths.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I am personally glad that last night I was watching football, then sleeping, as opposed to reading and posting on this thread, and drinking. 

What you really need to know is that doggy kisses are a threat to human existence. Because disinformation and things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is why we can’t have nice things.
 

What’s killing America is not that we’re full of fucking idiots.

It’s that they’re so damned proud of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE CITY (@THECITYNY) Tweeted:
NEW: An estimated 70,000 New Yorkers struggling with unexplained long-term symptoms of COVID-19. Many “long haulers” face challenges beyond illness. https://t.co/8QrZGKKhHI
 

College football with thousands of fans in the stadium and no bubble protocol is irresponsible. Not just for the players, but for the communities where the games are played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:


What’s killing America is not that we’re full of fucking idiots.

It’s that they’re so damned proud of it.

But Russia. 

Edited by Anastasis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But Russia. 

They're providing plenty of disinformation for the idiots to regurgitate. Shit, bannon disinformation from zerohedge is being used to propogate that china made and released COVID just over in the DT medical thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They're providing plenty of disinformation for the idiots to regurgitate. Shit, bannon disinformation from zerohedge is being used to propogate that china made and released COVID just over in the DT medical thread. 

You've read my opinion of that work then. I was not aware of the connection to Bannon though, so thanks for pointing that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You've read my opinion of that work then. I was not aware of the connection to Bannon though, so thanks for pointing that out. 

I have and I'm glad that you have enough expertise to call bullshit, but that's exactly the mechanism used to disinform otherwise uninformed folks. It's laundering a legitimate looking finding through a legitimate looking academic to further a messaging agenda.

The academic in question, Dr. Yan Limeng, has already had her claims publicly denounced by the University of Hong Kong and appears to have lied about her first hand experience WRT covid. Dr. Yan has been spotted at Guo Wengui's villa in NY (the source on this is state chinese media, so big grain of salt, but it was published back in May) - the same Guo whose yacht Bannon was found on by USPS agents when they arrested him for felony fraud.

I'm calling tinfoil on myself because it all seems fantastical and like a movie, but given what we know about bannon's stance on the use of disinformation to push a narrative and our proximity to an election... This seems like genuine propaganda efforts on the part of Bannon and Guo.

Edited by Captainant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus fucking christ, this thread has turned into more of an abortion.

anastasis, as much as he and i might disagree on some shit and where that shit should be hashed out, has been consistent. 

however, fondren and him just got their wires crossed. by "misinformation," fondren meant russian misinfo. anastasis made that out to be something different, entirely, i estimate, by mistake. of course, china is a big misinformation source, but that's not what fondren meant, and if anastasis had thought a bit before responding, he would have ascertained that.

and what fondren meant by triple and anastasis doing some russian lifting, he simply meant that they are parroting some russian propaganda. that doesn't make anastasis wrong to doubt our intel community. it's just parallel to a message russia is amplifying. triple and the hcq is another story, and i don't quite know what to make of it. 

I read that as wives crossed at first, and kinda understood the bad blood after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Hooray for the return of B1G football 

I heard yesterday that Mich St and Michigan were both not playing, regardless of what the Big 10 does.  Is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per worldmeters, the US had reached 200,667 deaths. 

Texas sits in 3rd place with 14,730 with Cali right behind at 14,615. Texas and California will pass New Jersey's 16,166 before the end of the month. 

Thankfully hospitalizations appear to be going down in some places. 

wear a mask. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I have and I'm glad that you have enough expertise to call bullshit, but that's exactly the mechanism used to disinform otherwise uninformed folks. It's laundering a legitimate looking finding through a legitimate looking academic to further a messaging agenda.

The academic in question, Dr. Yan Limeng, has already had her claims publicly denounced by the University of Hong Kong and appears to have lied about her first hand experience WRT covid. Dr. Yan has been spotted at Guo Wengui's villa in NY (the source on this is state chinese media, so big grain of salt, but it was published back in May) - the same Guo whose yacht Bannon was found on by USPS agents when they arrested him for felony fraud.

The calls are coming from inside the house?

Anyways, doesn't require any particular subject matter expertise on that one.  When the pre-print abstract leans into "There is a conspiracy among peer-reviewed science to censor our findings." you can pretty much stop reading right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um......I’ve seen “coronabros” a few times on the football board today. What. The. Fuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Um......I’ve seen “coronabros” a few times on the football board today. What. The. Fuck. 

I was going to respond but then realized I'm the idiot if I engage the football board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the mistake. Expecting an ocean of negs for cloakrooming it up. Seriously how much more evidence to these fucking people need that this isn’t “just the flu”!?!? I’ve been hounding a few of my friends (mid-upper 20’s) for going to the gym and hopping around the bar scene. Shit those stupid mother fuckers went to an outdoor concert in south padre then took part in the trump boat parade. Yeah yeah I know. “Find some new friends!”  They’re good dudes they’re just beyond fucking stupid. One of em went to blinn for a year, had like a 2.4 gpa there then transferred to tech. He graduated with a 3.2......

 

Our public education system is a fucking disgrace 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

 

LOL at using the team test positivity rate as the metric. No way at all to game that one. 

 

Every time Wisconsin has a positive case, they will recruit 21 players from the math department to join the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, hayden_horn said:

jesus fucking christ, this thread has turned into more of an abortion.

anastasis, as much as he and i might disagree on some shit and where that shit should be hashed out, has been consistent. 

however, fondren and him just got their wires crossed. by "misinformation," fondren meant russian misinfo. anastasis made that out to be something different, entirely, i estimate, by mistake. of course, china is a big misinformation source, but that's not what fondren meant, and if anastasis had thought a bit before responding, he would have ascertained that.

and what fondren meant by triple and anastasis doing some russian lifting, he simply meant that they are parroting some russian propaganda. that doesn't make anastasis wrong to doubt our intel community. it's just parallel to a message russia is amplifying. triple and the hcq is another story, and i don't quite know what to make of it. 

To be clear, triple falls for Russian propaganda. Anastasis works to make sure that Russian propaganda can always continue unabated.

In this case, Anastasis isn't happy with the outcome, but when you train pit bulls to fight, eventually one is going to bite you. 

Perhaps Anastasis needs to ask Putin for a transfer to the content team.  Surely, his fine work on the protection and obfuscation team will be rewarded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

This guy is a Trump fan?  Get right out of town!

Yeah. He’s one of those guys who grew up with Fox News on all day. But he doesn’t vote and in normal times, he’s just a guy. But yeah at the moment we’re all suffering from his stupidity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

To be clear, triple falls for Russian propaganda. Anastasis works to make sure that Russian propaganda can always continue unabated.

In this case, Anastasis isn't happy with the outcome, but when you train pit bulls to fight, eventually one is going to bite you. 

Perhaps Anastasis needs to ask Putin for a transfer to the content team.  Surely, his fine work on the protection and obfuscation team will be rewarded. 

Anastasis: "Wear a mask. Don't listen to HCQ adjacent anti-mask wearing clowns."

Fondren: "Anastasis is on team Putin. Russia Russia Russia."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

 

Come on 2020 - here's your chance to stop fucking around with us and ...

f4b85a9dd19f7d3abb512f8b39e52b3f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Anastasis: "Wear a mask. Don't listen to HCQ adjacent anti-mask wearing clowns."

Fondren: "Anastasis is on team Putin. Russia Russia Russia."

Again, those disinformation clowns are of your making.  Surely when you decided to protect external disinformation peddlers because you thought it benefited you, you also understood that you really had no control over what they may choose to spread in the future.  

Maybe next time man the floodgates with the rest of us instead of trying to actively break them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Surely when you decided to protect external disinformation peddlers because you thought it benefited you, you also understood that you really had no control over what they may choose to spread in the future.  

It must interesting whatever world you live in.  I hope that the sunsets are nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

 

You son of a bitch. You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you? You son of a bitch, you left the bodies and you only moved the head stones. You only moved the head stones. Why? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russian excess deaths over summer outstrip COVID toll by more than 3 to 1.

 

Quote

The number of excess deaths in Russia between May and July was more than three times higher than the official coronavirus toll, recent government data show, a discrepancy some experts say raises questions about the accuracy of Moscow’s counting.

While Russia has confirmed the world’s fourth largest tally of coronavirus cases, it has a relatively low death toll from the associated disease, COVID-19.

Moscow says the way it classifies deaths is more accurate than other nations. Some Russian health officials have explained that in many cases, a patient who dies with COVID-19 does not necessarily die of it but from other causes including pre-existing health problems.

Tatiana Golikova, the head of Russia’s coronavirus crisis centre, told President Vladimir Putin in late July that Russia’s coronavirus mortality rate was “significantly lower than in a range of other countries”.

But data released by the Rosstat State Statistics Service on Sept. 4 show there were 57,800 excess deaths between May and July, the peak of the outbreak.

The figure was calculated by comparing fatalities over those three months in 2020 with the average number of May-July deaths between 2015 and 2019. The excess total is more than three times greater than the official May-July COVID-19 death toll of 15,955.

...

In absolute terms, the figure of nearly 60,000 excess deaths from May to July is comparable with the United Kingdom, Europe’s worst-hit country. Russia’s population of 145 million is, however, more than twice that of the UK.

If total Russian deaths from COVID-19 were close to 60,000, it would make it the fifth largest national total globally, from 12th currently, according to Reuters data.

Looks like we know where Trump and Republicans got the idea to reduce the COVID death count by classifying them differently. Wonder what our excess mortality was this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...