FBI vs. NCAA Coaches

GabrielsHorn

44 minutes ago, txhorns said:

You are half wrong.  It's not illegal to pay the coaches or players.  It is illegal for none of that money to be claimed on the coaches or player's taxes.

I never saw any tax evasion charges, but I never read all the way through the indictments/complaints so that could be in there.

But I know they are calling the payments to the coaches bribery of public officials. 

Edited by pops

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Punishment should be having to replace him with Shaka Smart. 

Just spit water all over my keyboard.

At any rate, wasn't Shaka rumored to be somehow caught up in this shit? Can't imagine he wasn't "paying to play" to keep pulling 5-star bigs at never-won-shit-of-substance program like ours. Could this be CDC's way to terminate Shaka and not owe him any money? Please.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

At any rate, wasn't Shaka rumored to be somehow caught up in this shit? Can't imagine he wasn't "paying to play" to keep pulling 5-star bigs at never-won-shit-of-substance program like ours. Could this be CDC's way to terminate Shaka and not owe him any money? Please.

For serious, everybody that’s getting 5 stars in caught up in this. It’s just a matter of what they can prove on who. That will separate hand slaps from lowering the boom.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Rumors have always been that Texas and Shaka are very light players in all of this.  Supposedly we offered Bowen last year to "help with housing".  That is so vague that it could be anything.  More than likely it meant we would help pay for housing or hook him up through a connection on cheap housing.  Both would be a violation but are also pretty minor compared to most schools implicated.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It makes a bit more sense how they turned it around so quickly down on the Bayou 

Should always be skeptical when a team goes from losing 15 conference games in a row to top 10 and balling out in just 2 years. Especially SEC schools. Said this already, but Ole Miss football is a great example.

38 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Owe him money?

If he's caught up in this and leaves with THAT "record", I want money back.  In full.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

He's new that's why he was dumb enough to get caught.  I know Gottfried was caught too but nobody like Self, who is dirty as shit, will get caught.  They know to have several degrees of separation from the bag men...but they sure as fuck know what's going on. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's new that's why he was dumb enough to get caught.  I know Gottfried was caught too but nobody like Self, who is dirty as shit, will get caught.  They know to have several degrees of separation from the bag men...but they sure as fuck know what's going on. 

Gottfreid it sounds like also paid DSjr out of his own pocket.... that just popped up this evening and essentially means he’s about to get let go again..

I still expect at least one big name gets sweeper up that we don’t know about yet. 

38 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Gottfreid it sounds like also paid DSjr out of his own pocket.... that just popped up this evening and essentially means he’s about to get let go again..

I still expect at least one big name gets sweeper up that we don’t know about yet. 

Gottfried should have to stay at Cal State Northridge as part of his punishment.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, Brian Fantana said:

Should always be skeptical when a team goes from losing 15 conference games in a row to top 10 and balling out in just 2 years. Especially SEC schools. Said this already, but Ole Miss football is a great example.

Basketball is different than football, you get one spectacular PG and you can make things happen. If an assistant who gets his first HC job has  been a good recruiter and can pull in that guy then it can lead to more and higher rated recruits following suit. Not saying that's what has happened at LSU at all, just saying it's a different game that can change with one key player. College coach gets a QB talent like Teddy Bridgewater and all of a sudden folks think he's a genius. Perceptions.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Basketball is different than football, you get one spectacular PG and you can make things happen. If an assistant who gets his first HC job has  been a good recruiter and can pull in that guy then it can lead to more and higher rated recruits following suit. Not saying that's what has happened at LSU at all, just saying it's a different game that can change with one key player. College coach gets a QB talent like Teddy Bridgewater and all of a sudden folks think he's a genius. Perceptions.

Yep.  No one said a word when simmons went to LSU.  Of course, he didn't really win there so does it really matter?

One thing I've noticed about this thread in the last 2 pages is that some need to read up on what the investigation is all about.  This thread covers it well and is only 6 pages of comments.  It is more than enough info to figure out "why it is illegal to pay players."

I still think there is a huge reckoning coming this summer.  I hope KU is ready to do the UNC thing and just file lawsuits like crazy against the NCAA.  I have a friend that worked the PR on the UNC deal and he said KU needs to be aggressive as fuck to be on the right side of this.  Self is going to have to risk his reputation to get KU out of the woods.  I hope he is willing to do that for the school that made him HOF worthy.

Is that really going to have anything to do with the basketball situation? Hard to sneak a basketball recruit into a major school who doesn't actually play basketball. I would imagine it's more like the Loughlin deal with the crew team. Basically squads that nobody pays attention to anyway.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Is that really going to have anything to do with the basketball situation? Hard to sneak a basketball recruit into a major school who doesn't actually play basketball. I would imagine it's more like the Loughlin deal with the crew team. Basically squads that nobody pays attention to anyway.

Crew

Maybe women's soccer

Someone at the end of the bench in softball/baseball

Lacrosse? Water polo?  Stanford has like 87,000 sports.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Looking like it will be non-revenue sports.  Apologies for putting it in the hoops thread.

This seems like a purely FBI and legal issue. To be honest, it sounds like the athletic programs were hurt, if anything, by the scheme. The entire concept was that unworthy athletes were being admitted as members of teams they weren't good enough to be on. Now obviously they probably just "quit" the team once they were enrolled, but I honestly don't see why the NCAA would punish anyone. It's completely up to each athletics program what students they allow on their teams.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This seems like a purely FBI and legal issue. To be honest, it sounds like the athletic programs were hurt, if anything, by the scheme. The entire concept was that unworthy athletes were being admitted as members of teams they weren't good enough to be on. Now obviously they probably just "quit" the team once they were enrolled, but I honestly don't see why the NCAA would punish anyone. It's completely up to each athletics program what students they allow on their teams.

Because they also took money to falsely call these kids "recruits" to benefit under lower admission standards?  

Edited by Js1

But that's also simply school policy. The so-called recruits would still have to hit NCAA minimums for eligibility. The fact that the school might admit a lesser student if they're an athlete has nothing to do with the NCAA (see the Stanford bogeyman on the recruiting forum).