Jump to content
Goo Punch

NCAA Tourney canceled

Recommended Posts

The Deuce was running Basketball: A Love Story series yesterday, some really good segments.  The Stokes/Twyman storyline was really good, Hoya Paranoia/Big East, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCAA says they won't even release the bracket, period.  Makes sense, since conf. tournaments didn't finish so it's hard to gauge who may have snuck in that wasn't expected to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lulz, Price of Right just had a trip to the Final Four in Atlanta in the showcase.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lulz, Price of Right just had a trip to the Final Four in Atlanta in the showcase.  

Contestant (thinking uh I don't want to win that) "That dishwasher.... uhhh...... $67,000?"

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I suspected, celebrations have been discussed in Lawrence - 

Bestowing National Title to Kansas "Would Be Great," Self says

Quote

"For this team to bring so much positive attention in a year where we definitely needed it and operate under pressure and operate under expectations, this team deserves more credit than any team I've ever coached," Self said.

He said he has met with school officials about finding a way to "memorialize" the 2019-20 Jayhawks.

"Nobody had a better season than we did," Self said.

I'm not sure about the "positive attention" part when reflecting on 2019-20 Kansas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As I suspected, celebrations have been discussed in Lawrence - 
Bestowing National Title to Kansas "Would Be Great," Self says

"For this team to bring so much positive attention in a year where we definitely needed it and operate under pressure and operate under expectations, this team deserves more credit than any team I've ever coached," Self said.

He said he has met with school officials about finding a way to "memorialize" the 2019-20 Jayhawks.

"Nobody had a better season than we did," Self said.

I'm not sure about the "positive attention" part when reflecting on 2019-20 Kansas
https://sports.theonion.com/kansas-basketball-devastated-they-won-t-get-opportunity-1842384226

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in actual mourning right now.  I should be pretending to work while I really think about watching basketball all day today right now.  Then later on I would be pretending to work while I actually watched basketball all day long.  It really hit me last night.  Stupid virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Felix said:

I'm in actual mourning right now.  I should be pretending to work while I really think about watching basketball all day today right now.  Then later on I would be pretending to work while I actually watched basketball all day long.  It really hit me last night.  Stupid virus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, weekend is going to suck.  What am I going to do with 300lbs of cheese with no games to watch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should starting airing these games for us

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They should starting airing these games for us

 

it's not a terrible idea but he put no thought into "seeding" at all

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, Brothahorn said:


Kentucky has really really really good bourbon though.

Descriptors can make all the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cats/Sparty a 16 Seed?  Bullshit.  Same with Harrison's 3 game winner spree in '14.  

The US Reed shot is seeded way too low as well.  

Edited by Underdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I hope this is better than SB Nation's walkthrough where the higher seed won like 99% of the games. 

yeah i saw one upset in that entire thing before we got to where all the teams had the same/similar seed. enthralling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I should be looking at the surly pool standings and thinking that after my amazing first day, I have a shot at winning this whole thing. And then reality hits today when I only get 4 out of the 16 games correct and I fall to the second page of the standings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top-5 NCAAT Moments(Not UK Related): 

1) US Reed shot - was in the FEC when it happened, place went wild. 

2) '17 Nova buzzer beater over UNC for Title. 

3) Bird/Magic

4) '85 Nova win over GTown - At the time, hated everything about GTown but as I've gotten older, came to appreciate what a great team/coach they had. 

5) '83 UH/UL NSF - fucking athletes all up and down those teams, just a great fucking game. 

Plenty more I'm sure I'm overlooking, feel free to add yours(non-UT related). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

At this point, I should be looking at the surly pool standings and thinking that after my amazing first day, I have a shot at winning this whole thing. And then reality hits today when I only get 4 out of the 16 games correct and I fall to the second page of the standings.

at this point one of my championship game sleepers who i havent watched more than 5 min all year...San Diego St...is losing to 15 seeded Hofstra by 6 with 3.5 min to go

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Top-5 NCAAT Moments(Not UK Related): 

1) US Reed shot - was in the FEC when it happened, place went wild. 

2) '17 Nova buzzer beater over UNC for Title. 

3) Bird/Magic

4) '85 Nova win over GTown - At the time, hated everything about GTown but as I've gotten older, came to appreciate what a great team/coach they had. 

5) '83 UH/UL NSF - fucking athletes all up and down those teams, just a great fucking game. 

Plenty more I'm sure I'm overlooking, feel free to add yours(non-UT related). 

Not necessarily a moment, but a game, if I can add one that is UK related? Michigan State-Kentucky Elite 8 at the FEC in 2005. Sorry. But I was there for that one, and that game was fucking awesome. Plus, we were sitting next to a Kentucky couple, and I am pretty sure there was some spousal abuse that went down between those two later that night. Only catch is I'm not sure who beat up who. Whoo boy, they were intense about their basketball. They'd get mad at a player or a ref, and then get mad at each other. I seriously thought they might fight each other in the stands. Amazing. 

The whole weekend was great. The other games around the country were amazing. And during the "off day" in Austin on Saturday, we walked into an sports bar to find it packed full of Kentucky fans wearing blue. All there to root against Louisville in their Elite 8 game. Holy shit. What an afternoon of day drinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, 3 of the 4 Regional Finals in '05 went into OT, both UL and Illinois making great comebacks from huge margins to win their games.  Was a great environment at FEC and got a kick out of the MSU fans chanting "2,2,2,2" during the review of Sparks shot, both Magic and Ashley were there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, Js1 said:

 

Not just live women's college football folks, but simulated college women's basketball.  On a day of just shitty news, this is actually the saddest thing I've read.  

I'd actually like to see the men's side though.  Would have been cool for some CBS producer to pull tape of the best 16 games of the last 16 years or something and then synch them up and play four of them at 11, four of them at 2, then 6, then 9.  And do cutaways (in that game's historical 'real time') during the games to other great moments in the other games.  Flip around just like they would do to get to more interesting possessions, etc if the games were happening in real life.  And instead of being stuck with maybe 2 exciting games and 2 shitty games in each time slot, they could just flip from one badass game to another and have 1-2 real time (our timeline) announcers calling the transitions.  Pepper it with wisecracks like "We're gonna take you from this barn-burner in Charlotte to another game in Charlotte involving Duke because the committee coddles them"   Have upset alerts brought to you by Biff Tannen (the ficticious character, not the poster), "Kansas up on VCU right now, or are they...only time will tell."  I dunno, it has to be better than no basketball and I'd sure as shit turn on CBS for the first time in 12 months to see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How dare you mock this. The Texas women go 2 rounds more than Shaka, since he loses in the play-in game according to 538. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One game I will never forget is the 1984 Final Four game between Georgetown & Kentucky. Kentucky led by 7 or 8 at half and the Hoyas held them to 11 points in the second half. Kentucky was 25% from the floor for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Duke UK 92 game with Laettner's winning shot may never be topped. It's the one game from the far  past that I can still remember fairly clearly. I was watching it by myself in my apartment because I had a first date later that night and being  a college poor with no car, my date was picking me up. 

I'm watching this awesome game by myself and she shows up late second half and wants to leave right then. Of course, the game goes to overtime, and now she's really getting pissy about being late, etc... You just knew you were watching an all-timer, and here's this chick  being all cunty on the couch. Laettner hits that miracle shot and I'm going crazy and she couldn't have given less of a shit. Bitches, man.

She also had probably the best body of any chick I ever hooked up with, so perhaps that's another reason that night stands out. Pretty, pretty good evening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
at this point one of my championship game sleepers who i havent watched more than 5 min all year...San Diego St...is losing to 15 seeded Hofstra by 6 with 3.5 min to go

Hofstra? Is Wayne Chrebet’s kid playing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, Blotto said:

That Duke UK 92 game with Laettner's winning shot may never be topped. It's the one game from the far  past that I can still remember fairly clearly. I was watching it by myself in my apartment because I had a first date later that night and being  a college poor with no car, my date was picking me up. 

I'm watching this awesome game by myself and she shows up late second half and wants to leave right then. Of course, the game goes to overtime, and now she's really getting pissy about being late, etc... You just knew you were watching an all-timer, and here's this chick  being all cunty on the couch. Laettner hits that miracle shot and I'm going crazy and she couldn't have given less of a shit. Bitches, man.

She also had probably the best body of any chick I ever hooked up with, so perhaps that's another reason that night stands out. Pretty, pretty good evening. 

I lived about 30 minutes north of Durham from '86-'93. Duke's B2B NC's and Webber's time out in a span of 3 years. People around there were some rabid bball mofos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valpo-Ole Miss finish still gives me chills.  i can distinctly remember watching that at my dad's house and, as soon as the game ended, i called my GF to tell her i saw the most incredible ending to a gave ever.  she couldn't care less.  but i just needed to tell somebody what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, Underdog said:

Fucking.  Laettner. 

Laettner to Hill.... Oh, it was a thing of beauty to behold.  Laettner was still a dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 10:58 AM, Underdog said:

5) '83 UH/UL NSF - fucking athletes all up and down those teams, just a great fucking game. 

I go back and watch YouTube clips of this one and still get amazed.  It seemed the majority of that game was played above the rim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...