thunderlounge

So I got a WSM...

Beef ribs from Saturday night. Started them at 275 and let the smoker climb as high as 305. B&B oak lump and some pecan chunks. 7.5 hr cook, 1 hr rest, salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. 97c22a269487bf236db94b1984cfb42f.jpg

Looks to me like the WSM does a real nice job at higher temps.  I may move off Kingsford Blue to some lump charcoal brands and not worry about temperature.  I have some Royal Oak that burns roughly as hot as the center of the sun.

^^ For those keeping score -  HEB brand briquettes, 300 - 310F, 6.5 hrs, an occasional chunk of Pecan.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:07 AM, Sam Lin said:

What modification did you have to make? You can set the grate right on the coal ring to grill hot and close, no modification needed. The height ergonomically sucks, but it cooks great.

2050041287_WSMgrill.thumb.jpg.20853266ccbcc70eec6c54f45ac4914a.jpg

The real question is, why are you grilling with your schlong out?  That's shit's dangerous.

When you want some delicious BBQ but don’t have the time that day to do a cook, burnt ends are always such a quick and simple treat.

de81a68897acf56ff701f75b72535fdd.plist

8 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Does anyone have experience with smoking lamb shanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really need a moist cooking method. Try to find a shoulder. Or a Leg. 

On September 21, 2020 at 12:08 AM, ScooterHTX said:

Does anyone have experience with smoking lamb shanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I've smoked leg of lamb. They cook fast but they're really good. Marinate them in olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic, and Rosemary. Take them off when the internal temp hits 135, let them sit covered in a tin foil tent for 30 min. then throw them back on direct heat for a bit just to crisp up the outside. 

I'd think a lamb shank would be better suited for braising.