Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Most of those counties, as bolverk points out, are low population counties with a focal point for the transmissions. I wouldn't draw much out of that type of look at the data in the context of this particular discussion.  And Houston has had substantial protesting, so I would not dismiss them to focus on Austin.

I do think that you are right though that we should be watching trends in counties with large protests.  I have been capturing some caps off the NYT hotspot chart for a visual.

3 June, 8 June, 10 June in sequence.  Will be interesting to revisit in a week or so.  

Annotation-2020-06-03-093758.png

NYT-hotspots-060820.png

NYT-hotspots-061020.png 

Would be interesting if NYT would gif the trend in daily hot spot graphics. 

NYT-hotspots-061020b.png

Is there a better site than this one for new admissions for Austin or Travis?  https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0ad7fa50ba504e73be9945ec2a7841cb

I'm trying to find new admissions by day. According to this site, we hit 24 new admissions today, which is double what our highest previous 7-day average was, and set a new high 7-day average. It seems concerning but hard to tell without historical daily data. It could just be a data dump. 

I don't keep up with this thread as much as I do other ones, but it seems like our resident "everyone who doesn't want to open up are a bunch of pussys because it's perfectly safe" folks are suddenly absent. 

Those cocksuckers are the worst but still around. They are the assholes out at places like HEB being stared at because they refuse to wear a mask or socially distance because it messes with their fREEdoM

To be fair, there was a significant drop in hospitalizations over the course of memorial day weekend. Using Memorial day as a starting point is cherry picking a bit. The tend is unmistakable though, even looking at rolling average. And I don't think it's a data dump. The state would've said something to cover itself. And of course, it's not Tuesday, and things happen on Tuesdays.

Houston TSA region. 

/brokenrecord
Houston is up 76 percent since memorial day. Up 55 percent from the highest figure in the preceding week if we want to use that as a more conservative benchmark. Houston service area has now surpassed the significantly larger DFW service area, 690 to 687.

State as a whole up 42/20 percent.

The Galveston service area, a good chunk of which is eastern/outlying Houston metro, is up 19/15 percent.

Since 6/1 cases in outlying Harris county have dwarfed the city of Houston.

We may have had a memorial day super spreading event somewhere in the Houston suburbs.

For reference, Austin data is all over three place. 93 hospitalizations today vs 20 on memorial day is a massive increase proportionally. But that's actually down from the Saturday prior to Memorial day with 103, which is also a huge spike from 30 the Friday before memorial day. Today's figure is also down from a few days ago at 100. Basically been within a general range of high 80s to 100 since that last weekend of May.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Houston is up 76 percent since memorial day. Up 55 percent from the highest figure in the preceding week if we want to use that as a more conservative benchmark. Houston service area has now surpassed the significantly larger DFW service area, 690 to 687.

State as a whole up 42/20 percent.

The Galveston service area, a good chunk of which is eastern/outlying Houston metro, is up 19/15 percent.

Since 6/1 cases in outlying Harris county have dwarfed the city of Houston.

We may have had a memorial day super spreading event somewhere in the Houston suburbs.

For reference, Austin data is all over three place. 93 hospitalizations today vs 20 on memorial day is a massive increase proportionally. But that's actually down from the Saturday prior to Memorial day with 103, which is also a huge spike from 30 the Friday before memorial day. Today's figure is also down from a few days ago at 100. Basically been within a general range of high 80s to 100 since that last weekend of May.

We had 24 Covid admits today in Austin which looks like it's the highest number ever, and our rolling 7 day is 13, which is the highest it has ever been. Concern growing..

The dashboard doesn't show history, we should try to catch the daily numbers and post them when we can. I'll try to do it if I remember. from: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0ad7fa50ba504e73be9945ec2a7841cb

6/10 - 24 admits, 7 day rolling avg of 13.

Edited by BradInATX

Travis County shows the historical trend line on total hospitalizations, ICU, and vents.

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Cluck to expand Weekley hospitalizations, which defaults race/ethnicity. Then click the right tab for trends I described above.

Screenshot-20200610-213438-Chrome.jpg

Edited by bolverk

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Travis County shows the historical trend line on total hospitalizations, ICU, and vents.

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Cluck to expand Weekley hospitalizations, which defaults race/ethnicity. Then click the right tab for trends I described above.

That's a useful link. I was digging for actual admits over time (daily or even weekly) which is a slightly better indicator than total hospitalizations at any given time.

Edited by BradInATX

Who would have thunk that catering to the whims of people who were ready to riot over not being able to get haircuts or their nails done was not a sound decision?  Abbott has never followed his on guidelines, you can lay all of these extra deaths at his wheels.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 3

We had 24 Covid admits today in Austin which looks like it's the highest number ever, and our rolling 7 day is 13, which is the highest it has ever been. Concern growing..

The dashboard doesn't show history, we should try to catch the daily numbers and post them when we can. I'll try to do it if I remember. from: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0ad7fa50ba504e73be9945ec2a7841cb

6/10 - 24 admits, 7 day rolling avg of 13.

23 new admits in Austin - 1 lower than yesterday, makes it our 2nd highest day ever.14.8 rolling 7 day average. New all time high (was 13, yesterday)

Buckle up. At this point I hope it's the protests and not lifestyle. The protests will eventually run their course. Lifestyle won't.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

23 new admits in Austin - 1 lower than yesterday, makes it our 2nd highest day ever.14.8 rolling 7 day average. New all time high (was 13, yesterday)

Buckle up. At this point I hope it's the protests and not lifestyle. The protests will eventually run their course. Lifestyle won't.

I don't see any way it's mostly protest. It just makes sense that millions of people suddenly going into restaurants/bars/other enclosed areas for an hour+ at a time with no masks was going to lead to this. Science knows how viral infections spread. The information was out there. It's mostly contact indoors for extended periods of time. That's happening a whole lot more over the last 4 weeks than it did in April/ very early May. 

Bell county had its biggest single day jump in positive cases at 32.  We have had double digit increases across the last two weeks, pretty clear trend up.  This was part of the spike.  

https://kdhnews.com/news/coronavirus/10-of-bell-county-s-32-new-virus-cases-from-killeen-church/article_42e51202-ac3a-11ea-aad9-c38a652a3069.html

“The 32 new cases today can be attributed to several factors, including more gatherings occurring, complacency following masking and social distancing recommendations, and more frequent testing in health care settings,” said Health District Director Amanda Robison-Chadwell. “Higher counts today are linked, in part, to a cluster of 10 new cases associated with a Destiny World Outreach Center in Killeen.”

Chad Rowe, the pastor of Destiny World Outreach Center, told FME News Service on Thursday evening the infections stemmed from an asymptomatic Fort Hood soldier who was recently at the Killeen church to sing during a livestream of a service.

Yup grab on to your butts this bitch is back (never really left).  Here in San Antonio, a couple bartenders at Sandbox (bar next to UTSA) and The Block (food truck park/bar next to UTSA) have tested positive for corona and now a bunch of positive tests from people who went this past weekend are popping up.

Another bartender buddy of mine is in the hospital and shared a long post about “this virus is real/ I’m dumb for not listening” only to go and blame “people who feel sick and still go out”...

stay safe vatos

Edited by CowboyFred

On 6/10/2020 at 5:14 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas reporting 500+ new Jefferson County (Beaumont) cases today when normally averaging less than 10. Either a mistake, catching up on many old tests, or not a good time to be in a retirement home there.

It's never a good time to be anywhere in Beaumont.

51 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Yup grab on to your butts this bitch is back (never really left).  Here in San Antonio, a couple bartenders at Sandbox (bar next to UTSA) and The Block (food truck park/bar next to UTSA) have tested positive for corona and now a bunch of positive tests from people who went this past weekend are popping up.

Another bartender buddy of mine is in the hospital and shared a long post about “this virus is real/ I’m dumb for not listening” only to go and blame “people who feel sick and still go out”...

stay safe vatos

Aren't we seeing random service worker cases in San Marcos/New Braunfels too? That's where it starts to make me a little nervous. We didn't protest, we attend our church virtually and have since this started, we don't go to bars or large gatherings, etc. So the "super spreader" events feel sort of detached from my world. But when you start seeing random onesy-twosies in the community, especially service industry, that's where it starts to hit close to home. 

30 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Here’s a comparison with a different kind of republican governor who has tied reopening to scientific recommendations. Much of the state begins phase 2 today and things feel relatively under control 

So their positivity rate has dropped to under 7 and they are reopening, Texas was at 6 when phase 1 started, and this some how shows Maryland is using science?  From what I've seen, Maryland has 56% of their ICU beds occupied, while Texas currently has less than 25% occupied.  Maryland's deaths per million is 10 times higher than Texas (and their death's per case is also worse, 1945 dead with 83k cases for Texas, 2900 dead with 60k cases for Maryland).  The only thing Maryland is better than Texas at is football.

https://covidactnow.org/us/md?s=46756

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

So their positivity rate has dropped to under 7 and they are reopening, Texas was at 6 when phase 1 started, and this some how shows Maryland is using science?  From what I've seen, Maryland has 56% of their ICU beds occupied, while Texas currently has less than 25% occupied.  Maryland's deaths per million is 10 times higher than Texas (and their death's per case is also worse, 1945 dead with 83k cases for Texas, 2900 dead with 60k cases for Maryland).  The only thing Maryland is better than Texas at is football.

https://covidactnow.org/us/md?s=46756

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

MD hospitalizations have been steadily declining despite reopening. Not so much in TX

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Aren't we seeing random service worker cases in San Marcos/New Braunfels too? That's where it starts to make me a little nervous. We didn't protest, we attend our church virtually and have since this started, we don't go to bars or large gatherings, etc. So the "super spreader" events feel sort of detached from my world. But when you start seeing random onesy-twosies in the community, especially service industry, that's where it starts to hit close to home. 

on twitter yesterday I saw a couple of tweets of people in San Marcos being sick after partying over the weekend in SA/Austin.  Another friend sent a message to a WhatsApp group saying his buddy had to go get tested because a coworker tested positive after going on a boat party in Austin over the weekend.  The first person from that boat party that got sick/tested positive was a 23 year old girl who had to be admitted.

It's anecdotal and the data may ultimately say something different, but I was at the AJC/Huston Tillotson protest on Sunday and the bulk of the people I saw were wearing masks.  If wearing masks works as well as I've read it does, then I imagine the bulk of the increase is due to events where people were not wearing masks like the Memorial Day events and all the mornings who have stopped wearing them in public and at bars/restaurants.   

Well, I was asked by my employer to go into the office so I set up my workstation and am back at it. It is Friday and no one is here in office or building. I have my own office right now so everything is cool. Clorox wipes, hand sanitzer and soap and a mask is all you need. Next week, I will bring the dog with me for company. I left March 25th and today is my first day back.

Travis County new cases down under 80 today, which is basically a return to the previous trend.  Would hope to see similar over the weekend, and then monday and tuesday next week are reckoning days one way or the other. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Wild on the back to work stuff.  I'm a field member of my company's team so I always work from home if I'm not traveling, but my company has said no more travel this year, and all offices are closed.  As of yesterday, the earliest get back into the office timeframe is October 9, though they've allowed that our office in Sydney *might* be allowed to open a little earlier than that.

I work with very large enterprises, and most of my customers are doing almost everything from home still.  Some are planning on how to open back up, but every one of my customers is still in a WFH setting.

It's anecdotal and the data may ultimately say something different, but I was at the AJC/Huston Tillotson protest on Sunday and the bulk of the people I saw were wearing masks.  If wearing masks works as well as I've read it does, then I imagine the bulk of the increase is due to events where people were not wearing masks like the Memorial Day events and all the mornings who have stopped wearing them in public and at bars/restaurants.   

Doesn’t matter. Governor Hot Wheels will lay the blame squarely on the protesters and not his brilliant reopening plan. The average Texan will eat it up.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I would estimate traffic on my morning commute at around 60-75% of normal for this time of year. It has steadily increased each week since the beginning of May.

I see the poor schmuck that lives across the street leaving his house every morning at 6:00 for about the last three weeks.  No idea where he works, but I'm happy that even though my start time is usually 7:00 and I need about an hour to prep my commute time is now ~10 minutes (get up, do a few stretches, fill my coffee cup and choke down a cig). 

Most days I'm pretty much done by 2:00 and my commute home is another ~10 minutes (do some more stretches, crack open a beer and choke down a cig).  Earlier mentioned poor schmuck across the street usually rolls back in around 6:00 PM or later.

There's a few things about my company I don't like, but overall they've been really good during all this pandemic stuff.  I got no complaints.

I think I've lost the war. 

The dam finally broke and the wife couldn't handle being chained by the pandemic any longer. For the first time since early March she went out with her girlfriends to the bar. 

I kept the beast subdued for as long as possible but finally heard the dreaded "I'd rather die from the virus than live like this without socializing with my girlfriends anymore"

Well fellas, pray for me. 

So 29 hospitalizations in Austin today which is another new high. 7-day average up to 17.1. For the last three days we've blown away the previous high. Our peak prior to June was 11.8 on May 20th.

Before the last three days, the most admits we saw in a day was 18. We've now had 24, 23, and 29. If the next few days follow suit our 7 day average is going to be more than double what it ever was before. Let's hope it's a temporary spike due to holiday weekend and/or protests and not a trend that continues.Because this trend is really, really sharply upward. Nothing smooth about it, no lube, etc.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I think I've lost the war. 

The dam finally broke and the wife couldn't handle being chained by the pandemic any longer. For the first time since early March she went out with her girlfriends to the bar. 

I kept the beast subdued for as long as possible but finally heard the dreaded "I'd rather die from the virus than live like this without socializing with my girlfriends anymore"

Well fellas, pray for me. 

Pics of wife?

Must be hot if she’s that dumb.