Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

32 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

you have to look behind the numbers.  Lots of prisoners have tested positive for COVID,

this policy brought to you by the joker

If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

you have got to be the most tone deaf doctor I've ever "interacted" with.  My younger brother got COVID from his first trip to a bar.  31 years old and in great shape.  Another bartender I know, 26 years old and got COVID.  No previous conditions and in good shape but is still in the hospital and will probably be for the foreseeable future as his lungs are permanently damaged.  I currently know 3 other people not counting those 2 I mentioned that are in their mid 20s and all 3 tested positive after their one trip to the same bar.  Thankfully I know for a fact you're not my doctor because my doc is from Monterrey and gives me a sense of relief but damn do I feel for your patients if thats the type of advice you give.

I'm wholly unconvinced GR is an actual physician and, as a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever claimed that he is. So far as I know, he's only stated that he works in a hospital in the San Antonio area. What I find interesting is that he's never fully clarified his role in healthcare when others on the board make that assumption. My bet is that he actually works in administration, given that he appears to have all the time in the world to post throughout the day as if he were just sitting at a desk.

@GRHornDo you mind clearing this up for us? Are you actually a doctor? And, if so, what is your specialty? Mind you, I'm not at all interested in doxing you.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm wholly unconvinced GR is an actual physician and, as a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever claimed that he is. So far as I know, he's only stated that he works in a hospital in the San Antonio area. What I find interesting is that he's never fully clarified his role in healthcare when others on the board make that assumption. My bet is that he actually works in administration, given that he appears to have all the time in the world to post throughout the day as if he were just sitting at a desk.

@GRHornDo you mind clearing this up for us? Are you actually a doctor? And, if so, what is your specialty? Mind you, I'm not at all interested in doxing you.

I am. Born, raised and educated in Texas. I’m afraid that’s all I can give you. There’s a few people here that are literally mentally unstable. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I am. Born, raised and educated in Texas. I’m afraid that’s all I can give you. There’s a few people here that are literally mentally unstable. 

Agreed. Anyone who would seek your medical opinion would have to be out of their mind.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

First of all, nobody “knows” for certain when and where they get it unless you had sustained, close contact with someone that you know was positive.  

Secondly, I’m sorry someone you know got Covid and is hospitalized, but I’d say being a bartender is a higher risk position than just a one night patron.

That was the point of my post. Wanker Bob’s wife went to the bar with some friends one night. He was worried about ending up in the hospital due to that one night. I stand by the statement that the odds a 28 year old going to a bar one night and ending up hospitalized with Covid are extremely small. 

You think I’m dumb for making that statement. I think you’re dumb for believing that I stated anything absolute. 

Haven't we seen a documented case where one person with Covid at a table at a restaurant infected most of the people at her own table and then several people along the airflow from the air conditioning? I think there have also been diagrams from choir practices where there was actually an attempt in a fairly large room to keep socially distant.

Your statement about the odds is also peculiar because you state that a person's age will have an impact on acquiring the disease. That's not an impression I've ever been given. Once acquired, the symptoms seem to differ in general in accordance with age, but the disease is very contagious. 

I'm surprised everytime I see it mentioned that you're supposedly an MD. I have no science background, but I consistently feel like lay people responding to your posts pretty easily chop up your assertions. You always end up going back and reverse engineering the meaning of your words.

Strange.

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Any deaths that occur because a non covid patient is denied cared due to a covid overload should be counted as Covid deaths. Fucking Abbott is going to murder thousands. Got damn wheelchair butcher

He becomes DKR's "rolling ball of butcher knives." To hell with Governor Abbott. He is among the Trumpists muddying the water for common citizens who now think they can shrug off precaution. These are the worst people. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Abbott responded: “Judge Wolff and I have a philosophical difference. He believes in government mandates. I believe in personal responsibility. "

It’s also up to the highest-elected individual in the state to see that we slow the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a “face guard,” which he’s now criticizing people for not doing. Will Abbott accept personal responsibility for the spike in COVID-19 cases in Texas?

giphy.gif

Yep, it will make Abbott look weak to his Trump loving base.  He can't be seen to kowtow to big city mayors. He's going down with the SS Trump and it's going to cause Texans to die needlessly.

Edited by kevwun

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Haven't we seen a documented case where one person with Covid at a table at a restaurant infected most of the people at her own table and then several people along the airflow from the air conditioning? I think there have also been diagrams from choir practices where there was actually an attempt in a fairly large room to keep socially distant.

Your statement about the odds is also peculiar because you state that a person's age will have an impact on acquiring the disease. That's not an impression I've ever been given. Once acquired, the symptoms seem to differ in general in accordance with age, but the disease is very contagious. 

I'm surprised everytime I see it mentioned that you're supposedly an MD. I have no science background, but I consistently feel like lay people responding to your posts pretty easily chop up your assertions. You always end up going back and reverse engineering the meaning of your words.

Strange.

Where did I say it affects you contracting it? I’ve only said it affects your likelihood of being hospitalized. 

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I stand by the statement that the odds a 28 year old going to a bar one night and ending up hospitalized with Covid are extremely small. 

Wtf?

the amount of people spouting off a riff on 'my body my choice' RE: wearing masks on twitter is mind bottling.   I am pretty discouraged about the numbers and people are beyond giving a fuck after patting themselves on the back for going 2 months w/o a haircut.

I'm sure they feel the same way about women's choices, or the right of a transgendered person to choose a bathroom. Right?

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
27 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:
the amount of people spouting off a riff on 'my body my choice' RE: wearing masks on twitter is mind bottling.   I am pretty discouraged about the numbers and people are beyond giving a fuck after patting themselves on the back for going 2 months w/o a haircut.

I'm sure they feel the same way about women's choices, or the right of a transgendered person to choose a bathroom. Right?

i guess this is the CR version so yeah, all these tweets were from folks that probably voted for Trump.

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Where did I say it affects you contracting it? I’ve only said it affects your likelihood of being hospitalized. 

You are correct. I misread your post. Apologies.

I still think you're pretty flippant about the implications of someone acquiring and passing on covid after going to a bar. I suppose I assume that's part of the concern that the person in question has when deciding whether to go to a bar. I, perhaps naively, assume that most people likely not to have bad symptoms themselves would still be reluctant about the possibility of passing the disease to someone else.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

There's a tweet for this.

come on man, does Abbot really stand behind this?

what does covid cases and covid deaths have to do with how one collects taxes? The virus spread in California and New York because they have a state income tax?

He can't defend our state's covid response without belittling other states? Each state has their own set of specific challenges in fighting this thing, including ours.

So sick of this kind of politics.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

what does covid cases and covid deaths have to do with how one collects taxes? He can't defend our state's covid response without belittling other states? Each state has their own set of specific challenges in fighting this thing, including ours.

Very subtle on that one.  Bravo.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

what does covid cases and covid deaths have to do with how one collects taxes? He can't defend our state's covid response without belittling other states? Each state has their own set of specific challenges in fighting this thing, including ours.
It's also deliberately misleading. California had a budget surplus pre COVID and 13 percent is the very top of the state income tax bracket. The CA budget figure there reflects estimated COVID impact. Texas's finances will get wrecked by COVID and low oil prices, but nothing about it there.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

giphy.gif

Then why hasn't Abbott abolished the seat belt laws in Texas? If he's so big on personal responsibility. That is a much more applicable use of personal responsibility than a pandemic where the actions of 1 can harm or kill many others through no fault of their own. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Then why hasn't Abbott abolished the seat belt laws in Texas? If he's so big on personal responsibility. That is a much more applicable use of personal responsibility than a pandemic where the actions of 1 can harm or kill many others through no fault of their own. 

Covid doesn't have an army of lobbyists.  Insurance industry does. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So they are pussies?  Sue his ass. 

They might.  But calling them "pussies" when the Speaker himself said last go-round ""My goal is for this to be the worst session in the history of the Legislature for cities and counties" - understand, the Lege wants to utterly punish and cripple local governments.  They come damn close to wanting to abolish local government completely.

Picking a fight with the vindictive governor may well be suicide for a city -- we'll never be able to self-govern again.  Yes, that's the utterly shitty place we are nowadays.  Local governments best do whatever the state leadership says, or they'll get two bullets to the back of the head.

Abbott’s next move will be to tell hospitals to reserve more icu beds for covid patients. Which hurts non covid patients and financially kills the hospitals. 

Honest question, but how does a hospital “reserve more beds”? If someone comes in needing an ICU bed, but all the non-Covid beds are full, does the hospital not put them in one of the empty “Covid beds”? They just put them in a regular bed and hope for the best?

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

there's psychological damage to seeing someone killed in a traffic accident, which is a much higher risk if someone isn't wearing a seatbelt.  more trivial, but the traffic jam is much worse if someone is splattered across the concrete. 

Edited by elfenix

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Honest question, but how does a hospital “reserve more beds”? If someone comes in needing an ICU bed, but all the non-Covid beds are full, does the hospital not put them in one of the empty “Covid beds”? They just put them in a regular bed and hope for the best?

TXMC says it has an additional ~1200 beds it can bring online for an ICU surge.  not sure how that works.  i assume it means converting non-ICU beds to ICU beds.  i have to wonder if there's a more than 1:1 reduction caused by that (i.e., a double room is now a single room)

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/tmc-icu-bed-capacity-modeling/

22 admits in Austin today. Actually not a horrific number, but still pushes our 7 day average up to 24.6, because it overwrites last Tuesday's 11.

Each day we'll now be overwriting higher "new peak" numbers instead of the old numbers before we saw the uptick. So now we'll really start to learn if we're still on an upward trajectory or not. For the next week or so any daily number in the 20s, especially lower-to-mid 20s, is good.

New cases number is stabilizing a bit, which could mean positive news. Or it just means less people are getting tested.

Edited by BradInATX

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, elfenix said:

TXMC says it has an additional ~1200 beds it can bring online for an ICU surge.  not sure how that works.  i assume it means converting non-ICU beds to ICU beds.  i have to wonder if there's a more than 1:1 reduction caused by that (i.e., a double room is now a single room)

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/tmc-icu-bed-capacity-modeling/

Some hospitals will have beds available in the pre-op and PACU areas that they can send ICU nurses to. We often take care of fresh thrombectomies for a little while in PACU before transferring with the patient to ICU. You can get hooked up to a portable monitor and oxygen. Short of needing to be intubated, you can get decent-ish care that way. It's far from ideal, though, and you had better hope you aren't that hurt/sick.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Corpus Christi is blowing the fuck up. they have reported 66 new cases in the last 3 reporting days. Total case count is at 391, so 17% of our cases since Friday. Oof.

Hays County had 152 just today.  Abbott also lied about the numbers in the press conference.  600 total just in San Marcos.

103403191_1743553562435769_4126517779091

Edited by Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, Sii said:

Big spike up in San Antonio today. Abbott is a clown. Masks should be mandatory

Yeah, I am listening to the Wolff and Nirenberg press conference. It sounds pretty bad and doesn't sound like it's going to get better.

I usually enjoy Wolff bitching about the Govenor and AG but those dudes really fucked us along with the other cities and its infuriating.