Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

30 new hospital admits today in Austin, another new high. 7 day moving average at 20.6 now, which puts us in stage 4 for the city, whatever that means. Assuming some sort of nebulous guidelines that nobody will listen to be and can't be enforced because of the state's over-riding rules. Our 7-day average has basically doubled in 5 days, and once tomorrow/Tuesday overwrite the older lower days, it's going to be probably around 25 or higher.

Edited by BradInATX

42 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

30 new hospital admits today in Austin, another new high. 7 day moving average at 20.6 now, which puts us in stage 4 for the city, whatever that means. 

Stage 3: Gently suggest that Gov. Abbott help us.
Stage 4: Gently suggest that Gov. Abbott help us, but with a bit more emphasis and a more urgent tone.

Seriously, 20 admits (maybe per day?) over a rolling 7 day period was the trigger they were worried about last week that would eventually saturate our hospitals.  At the time the number was 13.

Just now, Texas Jeff said:

Stage 3: Gently suggest that Gov. Abbott help us.
Stage 4: Gently suggest that Gov. Abbott help us, but with a bit more emphasis and a more urgent tone.

Seriously, 20 admits (maybe per day?) over a rolling 7 day period was the trigger they were worried about last week that would eventually saturate our hospitals.  At the time the number was 13.

Yeah, and we're probably going to be closer to 30 than 20 soon. No bueno. 

30 new hospital admits today in Austin, another new high. 7 day moving average at 20.6 now, which puts us in stage 4 for the city, whatever that means. Assuming some sort of nebulous guidelines that nobody will listen to be and can't be enforced because of the state's over-riding rules. Our 7-day average has basically doubled in 5 days, and once tomorrow/Tuesday overwrite the older lower days, it's going to be probably around 25 or higher.

Is chicken sandwich still posting Kung flu numbers in the DT thread or did he quit once they started increasing?

13 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Was in Galveston yesterday for something.  I dont think there was any social Distancing.  Restaurants looked like they were at 100%.  Nearly every place at/near the Strand was full.  Place we ate was probably closer to 90%.   Only reason I agreed was we got a corner table and it was sort of isolated away from everyone else.  But the Seawall from the Galvez (21st Street) up past 61st was a ginormous clusterfuck.   Most of the beach access areas after that all the way down to almost Pointe West (so about 25-30 miles) had signs out that parking was full.  Didnt see those start to change until around 3-4 miles from Pointe West.

And before anyone else asks why I drove the length of of the Seawall, I had to be at the Galvez for something and then to check on something on the West End.  I dont know Galveston very well and didnt know I should have taken Avenue S/Stewart to avoid that shit show.  Now I do.

I live down here and it’s a shitshow. Yagas just closed down to an outbreak in their  staff.  I’m actually proud of The owner mike dean.  Unlike others, He did the right thing.
Facebook is saying that’s it’s spreading throughout the Galveston service industry. Including rumors it is at a very ritzy resort owned by a world class asshole.  

Edited by Xian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

I live down here and it’s a shitshow. Yagas just closed down to an outbreak in their  staff.  I’m actually proud of The owner mike dean.  Unlike others, He did the right thing.
Facebook is saying that’s it’s spreading throughout the Galveston service industry. Including rumors it is at a very ritzy resort owned by a world class asshole.  

Sorry to hear that. Love Galveston. Lived there for a few years and go back regularly.  Supposed to take the fam there just after 4th of July. Guess we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, Xian said:

What's happening should lay to rest all of the libertarian bullshit as absolute pie in the sky nonsense. 

Free market cannot regulate itself. Without competent government and properly enforced regulations the corporations will kill and damage as many as necessary to fill their bottom line. 

I mean didn't we learn this lession with Upton Sinclair over 100 years ago?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Definetly down. Almost always Boomers and Mellinials 

Really weird how you could tell everyone not wearing a mask was either between 25 and 40 or 55+, but definitely not within that 40-55 range.

Also, millennials*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xian said:

Was at my girlfriend's parents' house in Cypress (NW Harris County) over the weekend. We went down to the beach on Follett's Island on Saturday. Google told us getting back would be about 15 mins faster going up 45 via Galveston as opposed to back the way we came, which was 288 trough Lake Jackson. Mis-fucking-take. Galveston was a total mess, people everywhere along the seawall. Total traffic mess. We obviously hit it as the crowd was headed back to Houston. Looked like any busy summer Saturday night. Coming up the bluewater highway, who knows how many beachouses with folks partying.

We also ordered takeout from a local Mexican place in Cypress on Friday night, went to go pick it up and it looked like any normal Friday. Not a single patron in a mask and no semblance of restrictions or distancing inside. A couple staff members had masks - that was the only difference between now and June 2019. We stopped at a HEB in Pearland on the way to the coast on Saturday morning, because apparently the stores in Cypress have very few mask wearers at this point, and it was probably 50/50 masks, maybe a little bit better. That's a community where a lot of med center health professionals live. 

This weekend was my first time down there since COVID came on the scene. I knew the Houston data was bad but god damn. I really hope the summer weather pattern ultimately bails the Houston area out from a catastrophe because the behavior patterns in the face of the data over the past week or two are not promising at all. Things appear to be getting more lax in Austin too, which is unfortunate because we looked to have struck a decent balance there for a while, but Houston is on a whole different level. I honestly feel like I should self quarantine.

As for anyone looking to go down to the coast, we were able to snag a spot with no one within 50 yards of us on a Saturday. Plenty of big groups, crowds, partiers, etc. in the coastal towns like Galveston or Surfside or near big housing/condo developments, but if you get away from those it can definitely be done safely. You just have to put a little more effort into finding something more secluded. I'd probably avoid the enhanced crowding that likely comes with a holiday weekend like the 4th though. 

Edited by gmr548

7 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Maybe mix in some Cardio if you can't breathe with a mask on you snowflake pussies. How do you think your house got painted? Guys wearing respirators all day with no AC. The spray foam in your attic? A brown guy with a respirator and tyvek suit in 120 degree heat. 6 days a week. Real men.

Good forbid Chaz and Becky have to wear a mask for an hour a day in an airconditioned space.

Lakeway has always lagged the rest of Austin on mask usage. Plenty of trumpers just smart enough to be experts on mask "not working.". There is a group boycotting business that require masks ffs. Also you are going to see less masks in a restaurant as those who feel safe in restaurants are less likely to wear masks in the first place.

Blowes / Home Despot were at about 70% mask usage today. Definetly down. Almost always Boomers and Mellinials not wearing mask in my observation. Same stores in town are at roughly 95% usage

Boomers don’t wear mask because trump and Fox News told them its not necessary and not to. Millennials don’t wear masks because we told them growing up that they are invincible and therefore don’t need to.

Generation X wears a mask because they are told they don’t need to so they do it fucking anyway, because fuck all them.

• Like 8

Tillman Fertitta is a POS.
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

What's happening should lay to rest all of the libertarian bullshit as absolute pie in the sky nonsense. 

Free market cannot regulate itself. Without competent government and properly enforced regulations the corporations will kill and damage as many as necessary to fill their bottom line. 

I mean didn't we learn this lession with Upton Sinclair over 100 years ago?

Hey jackass, maybe Galveston just sucks. Here in Port A the two businesses with covid cases shut down on their own.

• Like 1

I don't even know if he will slow down the last parts of re-opening.  He's spent too much time crowing about Texas being in the lead of re-opening the country.  When that path leads us directly in to a disaster, he could very well pull a Trump and just ignore reality.

The horse is out of the barn. There is no way Abbott is going to go back on anything. If anything, he'll slow the remaining phases but we're full speed ahead, consequences be damned.  
He would go back if Donald Trump told him to. That's it.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

My office is announcing a voluntary return to office targeted for Aug.  I think a large majority of my company may be working remotely permanently though.

i honestly am a natural office denizen. it works for me - it offers that physical separation from home and the subsequent change in how my brain works. i find myself getting up to walk around the house, look at the roses, whatever kind of shit i can't do in the office.

but in the era of covid, i cannot imagine going back for the foreseeable future, any more than i can imagine going to that bar pictured above. it's not about me and my health, and that seems to be the point that people miss, especially slorch with his meltdown on the DT thread over the weekend. i'm 42, think i've already had this virus due to attending ces, and i still wear a mask in public, because it's not about me. it's about the old guy on oxygen, it's the old woman with copd. it's about immunocompromised people.

going into the office seems selfish, to me, at this moment, given i can do my work here at home. 

• Like 4

We've been rotating through the office since this started.  TTh one week, MWF the next.  No cross shift OT allowed.  Split the engineering, lab, maintenance, and WH groups in half and rotated them as well.  We should have gone M-W / Th-F rotations though because the back and forth makes things less efficient.  Our CS, Sales, Acct type staff are still 100% wfh.  We've been back to normal hours for WH and maintenance since end of May.  

Edited by UT_OB1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My office is announcing a voluntary return to office targeted for Aug.  I think a large majority of my company may be working remotely permanently though.

The company I work for is based in Chicago and our parent company is in Europe.  We are, largely, a work remotely technology firm, anyway.  However, we do have about 40% of our employees who go into an office.

We've been told we'll start going back into the office in 3 phases; phase 1 in late September, phase 2 beginning of year and "back to normal" by this time next year.  The biggest change for us is travel.  I'm usually on a plane 4-5 times/month.  We'll start travel again this fall but it's a 3 level approval process that ends w/ our CEO.  We've been told only "really special circumstances" will be approved.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xian said:

Looks like Yagas was just the first domino. I’m counting 6 or 7 mom and pop restaurants in Galveston have announced today they were closing back up. 

of course the ones owned by a certain asshole are staying weirdly quiet. 

Restaurants that have a COVID positive employee face a tough decision. The easy part is to quarantine that employee as much as the employer can control, deep clean the entire restaurant and then test everyone.  the tough question is how long do you stay closed while the above occurs? 

You also create a situation where a sick employee may decide to hide a positive test because there could be some anger directed towards them if the entire restaurant (or store) closes for a significant time.

I know of a dental office where an assistant tested positive, was told by the two doctors who own the practice not to tell anyone (in a threatening manner, from the sound of it), and given time off. None of the employees or customers were made aware of this. No cleaning or other measures were performed. The only reason it came out is because the girl who got the Rona told someone I know. The Covid+ girl had been in tight-spaces meetings with the rest of the staff, no masks.

If one wanted to drop an anonymous dime, how would they go about doing that?

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Depends where. Here in Hays County the government has said they will allow businesses of any type to make the decision to remain open, close or whatever. 

Is there no requirement to notify employees or customers in a medical setting like that? 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I know of a dental office where an assistant tested positive, was told by the two doctors who own the practice not to tell anyone, and given time off. None of the employees or customers were made aware of this. No cleaning or other measures were performed. The only reason it came out is because the girl who got the Rona told someone I know. The Covid+ girl had been in tight-spaces meetings with the rest of the staff, no masks.

If one wanted to drop an anonymous dime, how would they go about doing that?

The above is inexcusable. I don't know if a business establishment has to close because someone tests positive but they should take action to ensure their employees and customers are safe. Not telling anyone would seem to be the opposite of that.

I would think that if an employee in a small office unexpectedly took time off, like you describe above, there would be speculation that covid-19 is involved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Is there no requirement to notify employees or customers in a medical setting like that? 

Even if there was, no one will enforce it.  Abbott has undercut every governing body in the State.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The above is inexcusable. I don't know if a business establishment has to close because someone tests positive but they should take action to ensure their employees and customers are safe. Not telling anyone would seem to be the opposite of that.

I would think that if an employee in a small office unexpectedly took time off, like you describe above, there would be speculation that covid-19 is involved.

Yeah, obviously inexcusable. 

I guess the most effective way might be to doxx them but I don't really want to get involved in that (and it would expose my source too). I guess if there's no duty to notify people and there's no duty to take action (closing or sterilizing the business) then there's not much to be done about it.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Are you even allowed to tell other employees that a specific employee is sick with anything? In a small office, it can be easy to figure it out, but I don't think anyone should say that Nancy the receptionist has COVID-19. There are govt rules about privacy regarding health that I would be cautious to violate. 

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Nope. It is up to the employee in Hays. Then up to the business to decide. Main reason I see here is the lack of contact tracing and a County Judge who will follow Abbot's lead. River was packed yesterday, we are back to normal. meanwhile over the past 3 days reported we went from 80+ to 98 to 140+ new cases.