Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Abbott needs to be publicly painted as a murderer plain and simple. His actions to keep kneeling to Donald Trump instead of doing what he was told and knew was the right thing to do, knowing the deaths of thousands of Texans would most likely occur, constitutes intentional killings IMO. No better than the actions of Stalin, Mussolini, etc led to the deaths of thousands of their people. He knowingly signed Texan's death warrants and refuses to acknowledge or change it. 

• Like 2

Another update on the death rate increase in Texas on June 9 there were 1621 official Covid deaths and 5552 pneumonia as the primary cause deaths for the year. 8 days later June 17 the numbers jumped to 1825 official covid deaths and 6001 pneumonia.

So a 204 jump officially and 449 unofficially in basically a week. With the reporting lag being approx 4 weeks we're getting early to mid May numbers most likely. I shudder to think what these do once they hit Abbott's Memorial Day Massacre. 

13 minutes ago, mchookem said:

been waiting for one of these local jurisdictions to push the issue so it ends up in court, looks like Bexar has stepped to the plate...

The smart play is for multiple cities and counties to do this, all together.

Because Abbott is wrong on the law.  That said, it needs to be a local government with some good courts and good courts of appeal, and the local entity should file suit first if there's even a whiff of Paxton filing suit to override.

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

I don’t even get this argument. Who wants to get the fucking flu?  I mean if there was a super contagious flu going around with zero deaths I would still wear a mask. 
the flu fucking sucks. 

It is not an actual argument.  Its a deflection and a "leave me alone" answer to get you to stop making them think critically/question their worldview.  Its a marching order from FN and Daddy Trump, nothing else.  Anyone that brings that bullshit, you can toss them back in the pile with all the other fucking chuds with blinders on.

• Like 1

Texts from a friend whose daughter goes to txst:
Regarding the cases in Hays county: 4 of them are in my daughter's apartment. And that doesn't include her. She refuses to get tested, figuring there's no point since she knows she has it (the other 4 are sick, she had a fever, and has reduced sense of taste and smell).
Apparently, they went squaring. And someone else squaring that night was out after testing positive.
When her roommate went to get tested, the test administrator said they had had 30 college kids come in that day, all positive.

This country is too stupid to exist
  • Like 1

Greater Houston went nuts with new cases yesterday. Something happened in Brazoria county to increase their totals. Wonder if there is a prison or groups of nursing homes that tested widely over the weekend.

TMC covid ICU occupancy surpassed 16% for the first time yesterday. It's hit 16 before and dropped. Let's hope 17 is the new high point and it drops again

9a-TMC-covid-19-icu-occupancy-trend-6-17

The numbers for Brazoria included a big bunch of old test results from TDCJ that had not previously been reported by Brazoria's health department. Some of those are old tests. That said, the rising number of hospitalizations and ICU occupancy in the Med Center is concerning.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, BradInATX said:

22 admits in Austin today. Actually not a horrific number, but still pushes our 7 day average up to 24.6, because it overwrites last Tuesday's 11.

Each day we'll now be overwriting higher "new peak" numbers instead of the old numbers before we saw the uptick. So now we'll really start to learn if we're still on an upward trajectory or not. For the next week or so any daily number in the 20s, especially lower-to-mid 20s, is good.

New cases number is stabilizing a bit, which could mean positive news. Or it just means less people are getting tested.

21 today, less than last Tuesday and by any measure a good day. Let's hope there are more of these. Maybe it was just a little mini-spike from the holiday weekend. Maybe we're just going to see those a few weeks after every holiday weekend. Couple more days of low 20s would be a nice surprise.

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

So earlier today, Abbott said that local governments can't require people to wear masks, but they can require businesses to require people to wear masks.  Ok, let's just ignore the stupidity of this hair-splitting for a minute.  There's absolutely no legal justification for this.  It's not even supported by the language of Abbott's own executive order.  And it certainly isn't something that is consistent with the advice of any medical expert.

It just fully and finally demonstrates that Abbott is completely making this shit up as he goes along.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So earlier today, Abbott said that local governments can't require people to wear masks, but they can require businesses to require people to wear masks.  Ok, let's just ignore the stupidity of this hair-splitting for a minute.  There's absolutely no legal justification for this.  It's not even supported by the language of Abbott's own executive order.  And it certainly isn't something that is consistent with the advice of any medical expert.

It just fully and finally demonstrates that Abbott is completely making this shit up as he goes along.

Abbott knows there needs to be a mandate but is afraid of looking weak to the anti-mask fucktard portion of his base. So, here we are.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Abbott knows there needs to be a mandate but is afraid of looking weak to the anti-mask fucktard portion of his base. So, here we are.

Yep.  Simple as this.  It's very trumpian.  Don't take the responsibility and do the right thing because you might piss off the trumpkins.  Push it off on someone else.

• Like 1

Yep.  Simple as this.  It's very trumpian.  Don't take the responsibility and do the right thing because you might piss off the trumpkins.  Push it off on someone else.

That's one of the more disappointing turns in recent times. Used to, politicians would do things I hated and found distasteful, but generally speaking I believed they thought what they were doing was right. Even the really gross stuff like discriminating against LGBTQ or whatever. They believed that's what the bible says, yadda yadda. Doesn't exonerate them for being stupid assholes, but...

I can respect that more than the senators, house members, governors and mayors who are sitting there knowing what the right thing to do is, knowing that not doing it will kill people, and refusing to do their job to the best of their ability. Knowingly abdicating the responsibility that you have to millions of people for purely cynical political reasons related to an absolutely disgusting sociopathic president. That's vile, wretched stuff.

• Like 4

The number of positive cases for Travis County was 220 today. That is twice as much as yesterday.  HOPEFULLY that number comes way the fuck down tomorrow because if it doubles again we are already fucked. 

Welp, we are fully off the fucking rails with new case counts. Hospitalizations hold steady at 21 new admits. Hopefully these cases represent a shift toward younger individuals who can tough it out without ending up at the hospital.

Annotation-2020-06-17-185409.png

Obligatory everything happens on Tuesday comment aside, there's been a consistent bump in Monday/Tuesday case reporting due to Friday - Sunday backlog, no?

Still not good relative to past numbers. Don't want to gloss over that.

• Like 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

He must have been talking about 2021. 

You understand this better than I do so help me here...

1) that’s not how this works I wouldn’t think? You can’t just “get it over with”.

2) even if 1 isn’t accurate, still not gonna happen this year. 

Just now, gmr548 said:

Obligatory everything happens on Tuesday comment aside, there's been a consistent bump in Monday/Tuesday case reporting due to Friday - Sunday backlog, no?

Still not good relative to past numbers. Don't want too gloss over that.

Today is Wednesday. I was asking @Brisketexan about the time lag upthread since he got testing on Saturday.  In another thread he said that his results came back today.  So what you are seeing here is likely driven by Fri-Sat testing. 

Today is Wednesday. I was asking [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] about the time lag upthread since he got testing on Saturday.  In another thread he said that his results came back today.  So what you are seeing here is likely driven by Fri-Sat testing. 

And there was a LOT of testing. We waited in line in our car for nearly 2 hours on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And there was a LOT of testing. We waited in line in our car for nearly 2 hours on Saturday.

City told everybody involved with the protests to get tested for free, no matter whether they were symptomatic or not.  It was good advice.  The numbers today may be driven by that guidance, in which case maybe there is a chance that they don't convert to hospitalization numbers. 

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You understand this better than I do so help me here...

1) that’s not how this works I wouldn’t think? You can’t just “get it over with”.

2) even if 1 isn’t accurate, still not gonna happen this year. 

ID modeling is not really my thing, but I have lots of opinions for whatever they are worth.

If we wanted to, I think we can surely get it over with quickly.  I don't think any of us have the stomach for what that would look like (think italy, spain, NY/NJ for a taste).

Agree with 2.  My gut tells me no football this season, at a minimum no football with full fan attendance.  If we roll it out, attendance significantly curtailed. And I would wager that once we have a big case event that impacts a team or two we shut it all down. I am sure folks at the stadium are running the financial numbers about what makes sense, and at the end of the day that will drive a big part of the initial decision making across the country.   

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Still not good relative to past numbers. Don't want to gloss over that.

Definitely true but hospitalizations today were down from the past two days and down from last Tuesday.

So hospitalizations going down, cases going up? My guess is now we're starting to see the protest cases coming in. Mostly younger kids, generally in better shape than the population, plus as @Anastasis mentioned the city has been encouraging testing for folks to went to the protests. It sort of looks like we hit a spike in hospitalizations from Memorial Day that might be flattening/dropping back down, and now we're hitting a wave of cases from the protests. If I'm right I wouldn't expect to see a big uptick in hospitalizations. They usually lag cases by 3-4 days, so look to the end of the week.

So many different moving parts - it's pretty fascinating in a morbid way. 

My concern is not really for the protesters. Most will be fine. the question is whether they have or will spread it to their families or coworkers unknowingly. Guess we'll see. After the next 3-4 days it's going to be really hard to distinguish the protest wave and the Memorial Day. It's just one big melting pot of the China Herp. 

To add: I'm only focusing on Austin data because I'm an "I have to understand and see the data behind everything" guy and trying to do it on a broader scale than my city is mentally exhausting. 

Edited by BradInATX

51 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Abbot saying localities “finally figured it out” in regards to how to beat his EO is such horseshit.

As though this were some fucking game of hide-the-ball.  "Ha-ha, cities--I knew all along how you could reduce COVID infections, but didn't tell you.  But now you finally figured it out, so good for you."

What a sorry fucker.  He's the antithesis of a leader.  He's just a spineless pussy.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Today is Wednesday. I was asking @Brisketexan about the time lag upthread since he got testing on Saturday.  In another thread he said that his results came back today.  So what you are seeing here is likely driven by Fri-Sat testing. 

you missed a golden opportunity for, "sir, this is a wednesday"

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

It is an unworkable problem as long as the virus is spreading unchecked.  A few weeks ago there was a quote from an unnamed MLB exec that was basically, we have lots of plans and all of them are terrible.  I don't see how there will be baseball or football this year.

Edited by kevwun