Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Big jump in my small town the last few weeks.

I had stopped going to the farmer's market on Sat mornings because nobody was wearing a mask. After the big jump, it was announced a week ago that masks would be mandatory for both sellers and buyers going forward. This caused a shit storm on the market's facebook page.

Went this past weekend and there were maybe half the normal number of sellers and a quarter the normal number of buyers.

People not going to the farmer's market because they don't want to wear a mask.

12 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

What a spineless coward. Not allow two large circulation news media to attend a briefing? Leader rolls out reopening, spins the narrative, and then pivots when the spotlight shows it's been a bad idea and ill-planned. Can't handle the heat, chef, then leave the kitchen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Since then, she deleted all of her posts and is threatening to sue the business owner for disclosing HIPPA info. 

Pet peeve: it is HIPAA not HIPPA. This is a really common mistake even among healthcare professionals and lawyers in the healthcare industry. 

• Like 3

Just now, yoladu said:

The Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News once again not allowed to be there to ask questions

why?

It has something to do with Abbott being a gutless, spineless, unprincipled pussy.

Wait...it has EVERYTHING to do with that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's not going to be stopped in the US by anything we do.  Our leadership has failed us and turned wearing a mask in to a political issue.  The virus will either burn itself out or there will be a vaccine, but it's going to keep going until that happens.  Thousands of people will have needlessly died before that happens though.

Tens of thousands already, per Fauci's  metrics.

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

it’s not his fault the municipalities didn’t solve the secret code that reveals the key to beating the virus that was hidden in his reopening plan.  

Bexar (San Antonio) broke the code first.

9 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Not mad or upset with you, but this is my first full day off after six nights straight and I've been, uh, imbibing since I woke up.

Sorry if I upset you, I wrote "health care workers" originally and changed it to "health care heroes" because y'all are on the front lines taking risks, trying to save folks and learning how to do it better on the fly.  Didn't mean to offend...

Edited by Texas Jeff

show me a nurse that goes into administration and I'll show you a fucking sellout.

It may feel this way to you, but that's absolutely not true. Most administration who used to be on the floor are doing their best to keep some humanity in a healthcare system that puts profit above all. They just don't have much power to do anything.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It may feel this way to you, but that's absolutely not true. Most administration who used to be on the floor are doing their best to keep some humanity in a healthcare system that puts profit above all. They just don't have much power to do anything.

You are right. A lot of clinical supervisors, unit managers, and educators are not sellouts, and do try their hardest to make things better for their staff. You are 100% right that profit (even though I work primarily at a non-profit hospital) drives everything

Let me amend that to nurses who become head administrators. They do have power. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

(even though I work primarily at a non-profit hospital) 

Don't kid yourself. Non-profits, or more accurately not-for-profit hospitals, are highly concerned about profit. The only difference is that they don't pay taxes. Ascension is very concerned about their bottom line.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Don't kid yourself. Non-profits, or more accurately not-for-profit hospitals, are highly concerned about profit. The only difference is that they don't pay taxes. Ascension is very concerned about their bottom line.

Well aware, trust me.

3 minutes ago, staboner said:

this sucks. hang in there guys. i am very worried about my family. 

what @kevwun said. ya'll are just going to ride it out. the issue is of course political now. everything is. country can't communicate so it can't solve problems.

abbot can get bent. 

It's not that we're stupid.  It's that we're doubly stupid by making it political, and we layer that with the fecal icing of some of those politics being selfish and cruel.  I mean, seriously....taking the smallest of measures, wearing a mask to protect other people, and reacting to that with "FUCK YOU!!! FREEDOM EAGLE GUN!"....what the everloving fuck is wrong with us?  Who fucking raised these people?  I don't just ask why we are so shitty, but why are we so passionately devoted to being shitty?

• Like 1

Yes - but it's easy to google and show them the pace of new cases is outpacing the growth in testing.  I've shut several of these people down fast.  I will say the virus isn't as deadly in the summer.  While hospitals are filling up, those getting extremely ill is lower.  We also have gotten better about treating it - the underlying knowledge that the biggest issue is your body's own immune response helps a shitload...

Tell me more about how the immune response works and why that’s important please.

8 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

You'd think the Catholic Church could sell off some of its treasure stockpile and help their hospital systems out rather than covering up kiddie fuckers, but, hey, well, here we are. 

The Catholic Church doesn’t exist to help others. It exists to control power. Giving away money is contrary to its core function. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just left. Grand total was 4 masks and 53 without.

Mask wearing out west of town is very much up. I am seeing 80-90% use, of course my first hand observations are small and mostly limited to the liquor store. 

Yea the Arbor Walk thing is surprising.  The City of Austin has been, in my experience, doing extremely well with mask wearing.  When you get outside the city into the suburbs though...yikes   

It’s frustrating to read articles about countries like New Zealand effectively eradicating the virus while it spreads like an uncontrolled wildfire here in the good ‘ole US of A.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

20 people without masks in a very quick stroll through target today, including one guy in full MAGA regalia. Kinda brave to be wearing the colors after last night. At least he put his cig butt in the trash instead of tossing it on the ground.

Per Mayor Adler on CNN tonight, Austinites are now 3 times more likely to catch the virus than they were two weeks ago.  He argued that this uptick is still from the first wave of reopening and we should have reopened more slowly to see how it affected us.  And there's a noticeable increase in the amount of young people getting sick, for obvious reasons like the completely packed, maskless bar they showed while he was talking.  He pointed the finger at Abbott for giving kids the false sense that it was over by reopening so quickly.
Meanwhile, we have Mike Pence writing an article earlier this week saying that there is no second wave and it's all media-created.  And Trump wants kids back in school this fall.
Trump, Pence, Abbott, and many others have American blood on their hands.  I hope all you patriotic Republicans are paying fucking attention.

They’re not. They’re all in on idiocy. It’s the brand.
  • Like 1

Man I was hoping to come back from camping with serious social distancing to find things were better. We are going camping again in August and it looks like back to shelter at home for the next 6 weeks. God this is stupid and could be dealt with so easily. I really worry about the fall and going back to school. Ugh.

• Like 1

What the fuck. How do you keep out two of the currently worst effected areas from being there to ask questions.

Abbott is a cunt. He will spin the Data and offer little to nothing to help push people to stop being dumbasses out there. Over the weekend I saw many without masks, little social distancing, little care and that’s in SA where we are really surging over at least the last 10 days including hospitalizations

Trump, Pence, Abbott, and many others have American blood on their hands.  I hope all you patriotic Republicans are paying fucking attention.

They are. And they're masturbating furiously at the libtard tears. That's the whole point.

1 hour ago, Sii said:

What the fuck. How do you keep out two of the currently worst effected areas from being there to ask questions.

Abbott is a cunt. He will spin the Data and offer little to nothing to help push people to stop being dumbasses out there. Over the weekend I saw many without masks, little social distancing, little care and that’s in SA where we are really surging over at least the last 10 days including hospitalizations

It will probably be some mix of spinning the data so it doesn't look as bad, blaming the protests with some obligatory CYA 'wear masks' thrown in so he can claim later he was doing all he could to get people to take it seriously.  

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It will probably be some mix of spinning the data so it doesn't look as bad, blaming the protests with some obligatory CYA 'wear masks' thrown in so he can claim later he was doing all he could to get people to take it seriously.  

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/06/19/dallas-enters-third-week-of-daily-protests-on-a-day-celebrating-blacks-freedom-from-slavery/

17 hours ago, yoladu said:

The Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News once again not allowed to be there to ask questions

why?

Because Abbott can later change his opinion or orders and claim that he always meant that. Instead invite zero or friendly press to these events and no one will hold him accountable. The voters won't hold him accountable.

the one question I would like to see him answer is whether he actually speaks to the leaders of the largest counties and cities. From the misunderstanding or changing of his previous orders, it's obvious they don't have many conversations. Politics aside, Abbott should be on a call with the top county/city leaders everyday.