Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

there's psychological damage to seeing someone killed in a traffic accident, which is a much higher risk if someone isn't wearing a seatbelt.  more trivial, but the traffic jam is much worse if someone is splattered across the concrete. 

you'd far rather have to wait a bit longer in traffic than to be potentially hospitalized or killed by someone's reckless indifference. 

5 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

you'd far rather have to wait a bit longer in traffic than to be potentially hospitalized or killed by someone's reckless indifference. 

if it's between eating a green bell pepper raw, by itself, and a piece of dog shit, i'd rather eat the green bell.  that doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

analogy more people would get: i'd much rather find a hair in the food i'm eating than a roach, but the hair is still gross. 

Edited by elfenix

10 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Not sure about the backstory, but Brazoria and Anderson counties listed a shit ton of cases today

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

This is from the DSHS website linked to by Worldometers:

The reported cases for June 16 include 2,622 new cases and 1,476 cases that were previously diagnosed among Texas Department of Criminal Justice inmates but that had not been reported by local health departments (887 from Anderson County and 589 from Brazoria County).

I think Wheels had mentioned it in his press conference trying to explain why there was nothing to worry about.

21 minutes ago, elfenix said:

if it's between eating a green bell pepper raw, by itself, and a piece of dog shit, i'd rather eat the green bell.  that doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

analogy more people would get: i'd much rather find a hair in the food i'm eating than a roach, but the hair is still gross. 

And I would rather find a roach than half a roach.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GRHorn said:

First of all, nobody “knows” for certain when and where they get it unless you had sustained, close contact with someone that you know was positive.  

Secondly, I’m sorry someone you know got Covid and is hospitalized, but I’d say being a bartender is a higher risk position than just a one night patron.

That was the point of my post. Wanker Bob’s wife went to the bar with some friends one night. He was worried about ending up in the hospital due to that one night. I stand by the statement that the odds a 28 year old going to a bar one night and ending up hospitalized with Covid are extremely small. 

You think I’m dumb for making that statement. I think you’re dumb for believing that I stated anything absolute. 

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Nirenberg-told-ABC-CNN-San-Antonio-s-spike-in-15343654.php

A rise in the number of hospitalizations among the younger demographic...

Edited by CowboyFred

55 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

This is from the DSHS website linked to by Worldometers:

I think Wheels had mentioned it in his press conference trying to explain why there was nothing to worry about.

Gracias. I was rushing to teach a class and didn’t dig into the linkage. 

The mask thing kills me.  It is literally the LEAST we can all do to try and help slow this down.  Also, I assume all these people that bitch about wearing a mask also bitch about having to have liability auto insurance. It’s the same idea after all.

Who would have guessed that sending people out into a world where a brand new and highly contagious respiratory infection is still active and very few have immunity would result in those people catching said disease. 

it’s almost like plagues gonna plague. 

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

The mask thing kills me.  It is literally the LEAST we can all do to try and help slow this down.  Also, I assume all these people that bitch about wearing a mask also bitch about having to have liability auto insurance. It’s the same idea after all.

I have to think it’s another form of american exceptionalism. Before this, the only places you saw people wearing masks in public were China and Southeast Asia. We aren’t like them dammit!  We are ‘Merica!  We don’t have commie diseases!

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have to think it’s another form of american exceptionalism. Before this, the only places you saw people wearing masks in public were China and Southeast Asia. We aren’t like them dammit!  We are ‘Merica!  We don’t have commie diseases!

Oh, that's definitely a part of it. I flew to San Francisco in late January, right when shit was hitting the fan in Wuhan, but not really anywhere else. In fact, I think I posted about it in the early days of the DT thread. I saw several masked Asians in the airport, but I figured that was par for the course (I was mostly upset that the female Asians had masks on because I have a bad case of yellow fever, but that's a topic for another thread). When I got on the plane, I sat next to an older white woman wearing a mask and rubbing every surface down with Clorox wipes. She told me she was not sick, but she was going to visit her recently-born grandson, and didn't want to get sick. I wrote her off as either a hypochondriac or a racist worried that she was travelling to San Francisco and "didn't want to catch anything from the Orientals". Looking back on it now, she made the right move.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m convinced America’s collective reaction to a hostile alien invasion would split along party lines with the right advocating for global thermonuclear holocaust just to deprive the aliens of any valuable resources.

Why is that going to be an issue? Space Force has it taken care of, you commie liberal.

It’s beyond strange. I mean I hate the damn thing on my face but personal responsibility outweighs that.

There are A LOT of anti mask people out there. It’s ridiculous. Just open Facebook and it’s everywhere

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

there's psychological damage to seeing someone killed in a traffic accident, which is a much higher risk if someone isn't wearing a seatbelt.  more trivial, but the traffic jam is much worse if someone is splattered across the concrete. 

Actually, the seat belt law is as much about preventing injury/death to others as it is to the driver.   If you get into an unexpected situation and start getting thrown about in a vehicle, hopefully you will be better able to control the vehicle if you are belted into a position of control, instead of being tossed into the passenger seat, the  back seat or ejected.  

I didn't understand this either until I took an extrication course that brought this out.  

• Like 1

The current top post on Reddit is the most influential podcast host in the country making fun of Bill Burr for wearing a mask. Fucking insanity.
I don't know that Bill Burr is the guy I want to give shit to. That dude chews up hecklers like tic-tacs.

10 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Nirenberg-told-ABC-CNN-San-Antonio-s-spike-in-15343654.php

A rise in the number of hospitalizations among the younger demographic...

I’m sorry why are you posting this for me?  How does it contradict anything I’ve said?  

Yes young people hospitalizations are up. So are the absolute number of infections.  I stand by my assertion that Wanker’s not fat wife has an extremely small chance of being hospitalized because of Covid.  Like low single digits percentage wise, IF she even caught it. Maybe you disagree that it is an extremely small chance. I guess that’s subjective. Can we move on?

And, Nirenberg should be alarmed. It’s his job to be. You know what else is alarming? The amount of young, fat people in San Antonio. Not helping. 

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I heard a discussion a while back basically saying that large part of the West’s aversion to masks is based on theology. Basically that if you’re wearing a mask you have something to hide or you’re evil. It’s a subconscious thing. 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:49 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Had to run out for a minute and passed by an urgent care center. (18th and E. TC Jester Blvd in Houston.) Cars lined down 18th street waiting for covid testing. Their website says they offer 15 minute live virus nasal swab testing results and 1-2 Day antibody testing. No idea of the cost but they look to be printing money.

at least we’re finally getting to understand the true breadth of the problem and can identify problem areas.

18 hours ago, royiv said:

Going to a crowded bar where there is potentially an infected individual is the very definition of sustained close contact. The risk level is high as you don't know who in that bar could have the virus. It's not like they're doing a rapid COVID test on all the patrons before they enter. Plus it's summer in TX so the a/c is going full blast spreading droplets around. 

Putting these two posts together, possibly: The Chronicle is working on a story potentially tracing a good-sized outbreak to McIntyre's bar on W. 19th St. 

14 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Honest question, but how does a hospital “reserve more beds”? If someone comes in needing an ICU bed, but all the non-Covid beds are full, does the hospital not put them in one of the empty “Covid beds”? They just put them in a regular bed and hope for the best?

Good question and I don’t have an answer as I would assume that depends on the hospital and their interpretation of state orders. But hospitals may have to start turning away patients who can wait for a procedure.

texas hospitals are lucky in that most (all?) were spared from being overrun in the beginning of this like some predicted. They had time to prepare and plan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

This is going around on Twitter.

4 different gyms in the heights alone have closed in the past 72 hrs due to positive tests. 6-7 restaurants have also closed during that time span.

like i said a month ago: we’ll know everything we need to know about the rest of this pandemic by 4th of july

• Like 1

Combo of Memorial Day and Mass Protests coming home to roost here. Hospitalizations absolutely blowing up in Austin right now. Friend of ours is ER doc and she is saying she's swamped for first time and advising everyone to stay the fuck home in Austin.

Data still shows obesity being a major factor as is age in terms of severity of virus, but we will all see absolutely gyms/bars/restaurants etc being rolled back. Not sure how even if gov mandates mask wearing that anything changes as people are stupid as shit, and I cannot see the cops enforcing the act of wearing a mask.

Hang onto your shorts as shit is getting real. This is why we cannot have nice things.

eg Corepower Yoga was due to open Thursday in Austin and they just wrote and said that they are staying closed.

Texts from a friend whose daughter goes to txst:

Regarding the cases in Hays county: 4 of them are in my daughter's apartment. And that doesn't include her. She refuses to get tested, figuring there's no point since she knows she has it (the other 4 are sick, she had a fever, and has reduced sense of taste and smell).

Apparently, they went squaring. And someone else squaring that night was out after testing positive.

When her roommate went to get tested, the test administrator said they had had 30 college kids come in that day, all positive.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Texts from a friend whose daughter goes to txst:

Numbers were 155 confirmed yesterday. We are adding about 20-30 new cases a day. The ISD opened up summer sports last week and today closed them down until July 6 due to a few incidents. 

Went out for a walk yesterday and some of the bars that closed down last week are back open and full of people. Yay? 

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Apparently the practice of making friends take a knee and chug a Smirnoff Ice has come back as well. My SIL, no pics, graduated a couple years ago from Texas State and this is apparently a thing again among her and her friends.

I am all for this.

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Bexar county just issued an order that will require businesses to require masks for both employees and customers. Supposedly a $1k fine for noncompliance and goes into effect on Monday. 

Now things are gonna get interesting.  I expect other cities and counties will follow.  Then what is Abbott going to do?

This is going around on Twitter.

Yup, same thing in San Marcos.

Know of a case where 3-4 bartenders (Im related to one of the bartenders) tested positive in the past week. Bar is still open, owner refuses to close. Not saying a word about it to patrons.

You’re a goddamn idiot and fool if you’re bar hoping during this time.

5 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Yup, same thing in San Marcos.

Know of a case where 3-4 bartenders (Im related to one of the bartenders) tested positive in the past week. Bar is still open, owner refuses to close. Not saying a word about it to patrons.

You’re a goddamn idiot and fool if you’re bar hoping during this time.

I’m not a lawyer but it seems like that bar owner might have some liability issues if people fall ill or die after visiting his fine establishment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Bexar county just issued an order that will require businesses to require masks for both employees and customers. Supposedly a $1k fine for noncompliance and goes into effect on Monday. 

been waiting for one of these local jurisdictions to push the issue so it ends up in court, looks like Bexar has stepped to the plate...