Sign in to follow this  
Goo Punch

Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Lot of stupid threads have popped up during the suspended season/COVID lockdown, but this isn't one of them. Jokic definitely deserves his own thread.

Love the two-man offense that he and Murray run. Even when they were putting a clinic on my Spurs in last year's playoffs, it was still fun to watch. Genuinely don't know how you stop it other than do your best and hope for a miss.

I lived in Denver for a season and a half (January 2018 - June 2019) and he is just a joy to watch.

His arms look like he was a stretch Armstrong doll and someone just pulled on his arms before he was passed the ball.

He has about a 2" vertical leap, but with those arms and his height, he can still dunk.

He has Magic/Bird type of court vision as well. He sees EVERYTHING.

Denver is a really fun team to watch and he's the biggest single reason for that.

Posted (edited)

I would love to see see this team evolve around him to the point where we got a Nuggets vs Bucks Finals, just to see these two teams that are built around these two freak players who couldn't be different from one another. I would really enjoy watching that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Posted (edited)

that teardrop fade away is fucking devastating. such a badass signature move. 

edit: also note how many and-1's he gets for his teammates. he drops a perfect pass in to a moving target with a defender draped all over him and its a layup +1 all day. such a unique weapon. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Anybody tracked him during the quarantine? Wonder if he shows up looking like he did in March or at the beginning of the season

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Went from 1992 Magic to 1982 Magic in a few months. 

somebody better alert the CDC

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Went from 1992 Magic to 1982 Magic in a few months. 

...from 1952 Rock Hudson to 1982 Rock Hudson in a few months.

Next time don't hang out with Djokovic

My dad called me and said he heard that Luka tested positive.  I’m guessing it’s either Jokic or Djokovic, cause my dad can be dumb like that.

Career playoff averages: 25.3 ppg, 11.9 reb (2.8 oreb), 7.2 ast, 0.9 blk, 0.9 ast, 51% FG, 42% 3P (5.0 3PA/gm), 84% FT. That's through his first four playoff series of his career, all four of them being 7-game series, with the nuggets now being 3-1 in those series. He's a superstar. 

Late in yesterday's broadcast, JVG summed up Joker's performance: "He's 5 of 13 from the floor and dominating." 

Haven't seen passing like this since the days of Magic and Bird, except Nikola is taller and even less athletic. I think the reasons he's mostly impervious to double teams are 1) he doesn't panic, and 2) he can always see over the defense due to his height (good luck finding a pair of 7-plus-footers to guard him).

And speaking of defense, Joker's isn't great but it's not terrible, either. Being tall helps.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Derka already had the video.

57 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Late in yesterday's broadcast, JVG summed up Joker's performance: "He's 5 of 13 from the floor and dominating." 

Haven't seen passing like this since the days of Magic and Bird, except Nikola is taller and even less athletic. I think the reasons he's mostly impervious to double teams are 1) he doesn't panic, and 2) he can always see over the defense due to his height (good luck finding a pair of 7-plus-footers to guard him).

And speaking of defense, Joker's isn't great but it's not terrible, either. Being tall helps.

In my opinion it's not fair to call him unatheltic either, he is actually pretty damn quick for a man of his size. He has some stiff hips on defense, but I think some of that comes from a lack of confidence on that end, at least in isolation situations. He can't jump out of the gym but he's got some damn quick moves on the offensive end for a "slow" guy.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

In my opinion it's not fair to call him unatheltic either, he is actually pretty damn quick for a man of his size. He has some stiff hips on defense, but I think some of that comes from a lack of confidence on that end, at least in isolation situations. He can't jump out of the gym but he's got some damn quick moves on the offensive end for a "slow" guy.

It's all relative. Compared to us common folk, virtually every NBAer is hyper-athletic. They set a very high bar, and relative to that bar, Joker is well below it.

Thing is, if Joker could jump out of the gym and outsprint a cat from one end of the court to the other, he probably wouldn't have developed his world-beating skillset, i.e., he's going to be fine regardless of what anyone thinks of his athleticism.

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's all relative. Compared to us common folk, virtually every NBAer is hyper-athletic. They set a very high bar, and relative to that bar, Joker is well below it.

Thing is, if Joker could jump out of the gym and outsprint a cat from one end of the court to the other, he probably wouldn't have developed his world-beating skillset, i.e., he's going to be fine regardless of what anyone thinks of his athleticism.

Yes and his game will age better as well.

One of my best friends growing up -- his father played for OU in college.  Every once in a while, he would show up and play with us, 30 years older, less athletic, but much much much smarter than us about how to play basketball.  That's who who I see when I watch Jokic.  

On 9/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

You just described Luka as well. League is in good hands with these guys.

Also, as said above, I think we need to adjust what we think athletic means.  Yes we think it means jumping out of the jim and super fast/quick.  But I think with these guys and guys like James Harden, the ability to start and stop on a dime and change direction effortlessly, plus change your pace and hesitate are athletic as well, just in a different way.

Again, it's merely a relative term. Most people understand this.

Compared to us, virtually anyone in the NBA is super athletic. But compared to the league's freakishly explosive best, Jokic is not very athletic. He's even quipped about it.