Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

27 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

And transfer where, to the school whose system chancellor has insisted their on-campus shrine to "the gallant Negro killer of Texas" will stand today, tomorrow, and forever?

Possibly to the school whose basketball coach tried to cover up a murder of a player and then whose football coach was let go for perpetuating a culture of rape within the program?

Possibly to the school that defined corruption and still hasn't ever recovered from the death penalty for their football program.

Point me to where your ethical compass says is clean and pure.

Point out to me exactly which university in Texas is exempt from scorn for good reason. Hell, even Trinity in San Antonio and St Ed's in Houston are at least tangentially tied to the multi-generational Catholic Church child rape atrocity.

So, transfer to exactly where? You name a school, and I will help point out their brutally offensive past.

It is disingenuous to select one element of the state's past without openly discussing the entire state's past.

I wholeheartedly support an open and wide ranging discussion of the state's racist past as long as it is comprehensive and supported by the historical record. This selective picking and choosing of what we will acknowledge and what we will choose to completely ignore isn't constructive. No remembrance of any other aspect of the school's past?

"The eyes of the south are upon you" - R.E. Lee

"The eyes of Texas are upon you" - UT Austin

"The eyes of the world are upon you" - Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

For the record, I am an ardent supporter for re-opening the racial scars of the past.

This isn't a discussion we should run from or be afraid of. But let's make this intellectually honest and be done with the sniping and selective historical recollection that only serves the interests of the truly culpable.

HBCU time

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering it is sung to the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad", shouldn't the Chinese students be the ones with the problem?

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age.  That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon

I don't like some if the demands but I'm not a black athlete representing the University of Texas. I don't know what it's like to deal with the fucked up system that they've grown up under.  Fuck

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So even if it was on the list (non of which would have really mattered had he just won the conference this year) with the other things you cite, I think you phrased it correctly. "how he handled the EOT". Herman completely failed in his position as the leader of the football program and let this thing spin out of control more so than it ever needed to. 

For Clarence to tweet that it was because he "didn't make the players stay on the field" is just utter bullshit.

This is just my opinion rather than what I've been told (what I posted earlier is from an impeccable non $9.95 source), but I'd imagine Sarkisian is at least somewhat grateful that EOT blew up under Herman and not him.  Probably Mack is the only coach in modern Texas history that could have managed it as it placed the head coach either on the side of his players or the alumni/donors.  I'm not sure it's a failure of leadership--Herman knew he had to win and whether (in his heart) he shared the players position or not, he needed to not have the EOT divide the locker room. 

CDC will tell you that the players were the only group somewhat arguing to retain Herman (though they could see the writing on the wall with the team's performance, particularly when they are seeing their high school rivals get more attention at OU and A&M in 2020). 

• Hook 'Em 1
37 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If he turns out to be solid in the pros, I'll be convinced he intentionally lacked effort on the field his soph and junior seasons as his own way of protesting perceived injustices in the program and you can't convince me otherwise

Or pulling an Adrian Phillips and just be solid in college then turn it on come nfl time. God damn. Sterns was my favorite player on that 2018 team. He looked like the next Earl Thomas then proceeded to be completely average his last 2 years here 

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thing is, if the song truly was racist, we would all be in favor of scrapping it.

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

^ this. If it was lyrically racist, written with a racist agenda, or held any racist sentiment by anyone alive today, it wouldn’t be very defendable. In the era of 2016-present, if you are not seeking out social injustices to protest, you are a bigot nazi. 

Right, we all know how easy all the confederate monuments and named buildings have gone down the last few years. Hardly a peep! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I am not certain it was confirmed one way or another but weren't some players threatening to not play? At a minimum it was implied they would consider not playing.

Are both sides pissed the other side threatened to use power to their advantage?

If Caden makes it in the NFL and manages his money well, he may never have to work the rest of his life. So I guess I'm going to go with he's trying to stir stuff up.

The NFL isn't the windfall you're intimating unless you're a 1st round pick or get a 2nd round contract. Caden simply managing the 600k/yr he makes as a 4tth or 5th round pick for his inital 4 year contract isn't going to keep him from working the rest of his life if he doesn't get a 2nd contract.

56 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m always confused if it’s the player who sucks and is a piece of shit or if it’s the coaching staff that sucks and gets fired because they can’t coach up the stupid piece of shit players. The best way I’ve found to discern this is which one has political/social views I agree with, which clearly makes them correct. 

First, bravo. Second, I don't have a problem with Sterns political views, whatever they are (I don't really care), it's his attitude, character and the whole quitting after 2.5 years thing that I question and take issue with. When he does things like chime in to add fuel to the fire when I'm not sure how much he actually cares about Texas football it reinforces some of my reservations. There's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself but pardon me if I don't weep over your exit or care much what you have to say once you're off campus. 

Now, if there is smoke to what he's saying then that is something that needs to be addressed, especially if what he's claiming is corroborated, but I have to roll my eyes that it's Caden Sterns piping up about it when the news cycle comes back around to the issue. 

Fortunately all of this was under a head coach that is no longer here and by all accounts managed stuff like this poorly. 

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This one was really bad

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

This person is free and it's time for him to move on to another school.

Fuck this guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This person is free and it's time for him to move on to another school.

Fuck this guy.

That guy is very likely an ass. However, you don't get to decide that unless the corporations and obscenely rich appoint you Alumni Worthiness Oberfuhrer. Sieg Heil.

• Fuck You 5

So there are two ways to look at this, IMO.  One is if it helps us get better players, scrap the song, wear alt uniforms with crazy helmets, permit anything the players want to do to go on, whatever.  Stand for nothing other than whatever gets the most quality players here. The other way is to steadfastly stand for all "traditions," no matter how nonsensical or crazy, and demand absolute obedience and observance no matter how ridiculous it gets.

We play one of those every October.  The other we used to play every T+1.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I wouldn't let most college students pick my lunch much less this.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

You wouldn’t let students pick their own song to the school the currently attend? 

what could go wrong

64ef2f81544448e8da8b10798a988f3d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
22 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You don't need names, just watch for anyone who doesn't agree with you and there ya go!

Great racket.

For all you know I wasn't even talking about you, but awfully nice of you to go ahead and jump on the hook yourself. Good fish.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

For all you know I wasn't even talking about you, but awfully nice of you to go ahead and jump on the hook yourself. Good fish.

Never said you were talking about me, but helluva an attempt at a strawman, albeit predictable.  LMAO

What is it called when a "fish" catches a fish?

hmmmmm

No matter.  Too small, so be FREE little fella!

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1
The NFL isn't the windfall you're intimating unless you're a 1st round pick or get a 2nd round contract. Caden simply managing the 600k/yr he makes as a 4tth or 5th round pick for his inital 4 year contract isn't going to keep him from working the rest of his life if he doesn't get a 2nd contract.
You're right. I was using "makes it" too generically. He'd have to hit that 2nd contract. I suppose in my mind that is "making it" not simply making a team for a year or two never to be heard from again. And at that point, if he does have to work, he'll have significant flexibility.
  • Hook 'Em 1
50 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The great thing about this thread is that sometimes I forget exact usernames for the most racist hicks on surly, but then this pops back into page 1 to remind us all.

how ironic.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Blotto said:

what could go wrong

64ef2f81544448e8da8b10798a988f3d.jpg

seems it’s how this whole mess started in the first place. 

You know the history of how we got our school colors right?

Edited by Doc Reeves
5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Fuck fuck fuck, he’s really good and is going to be a beast this year. You know what, no, no, he fucking sucks. Enjoy flipping burgers you piece of shit you don’t even understand economics. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Over under on when the school caves and gets rid of the song?

This is similar to the Washington Redskins predicament. The University may kick the can down the road for a year or two but it will change in the near future. Guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Texas said:

This is similar to the Washington Redskins predicament. The University may kick the can down the road for a year or two but it will change in the near future. Guaranteed.

The University stressed since last fall they would be "educating" students on the history of the song. I guess that hasn't been working? 

Sung to the tune of Barney the purple dinosaur:

I love you, you love me
We're a happy (multiracial) family
We got blacks, whites, latins
And Asians too
With one strong voice we say
FUCK OU!

There. Unity!

**Probably should add a couple more verses to include Pacific islanders, native Americans, LGBTQHLMNOP, the Arabs, those amazon pygmies, and the Jews.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

So this is all because it’s to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and samples another song that imply’s racism but the final product the one we have now is in no way has any racist meaning correct?  That’s from what I’ve read but maybe I’m wrong.   If it didn’t take any of the bad parts of the music over a hundred years ago I don’t see the issue now.  A songs meaning isn’t at all related to a song it took samples from ask any artist.

• Hook 'Em 2
6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The University stressed since last fall they would be "educating" students on the history of the song. I guess that hasn't been working? 

This unfortunate episode only hastens the demise of the Eyes of Texas.

Just now, Hook1997 said:

So this is all because it’s to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and samples another song that imply’s racism but the final product the one we have now is in no way has any racist meaning correct?  That’s from what I’ve read but maybe I’m wrong.   If it didn’t take any of the bad parts of the music over a hundred years ago I don’t see the issue now.  A songs meaning isn’t at all related to a song it took samples from ask any artist.

The original guys who came up with the song and sang it dressed up like this:

spacer.png

.....I'm pretty sure that’s part of the beef.

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

**Probably should add a couple more verses to include Pacific islanders, native Americans, LGBTQHLMNOP, the Arabs, those amazon pygmies, and the Jews.

But no Irish!

12f35ff0-3861-4078-b04c-d429cbe8e00a_scr

• Like 2

I love the Eyes of Texas but I love winning football games more. This is not Sark or Herman’s or the donors fault. This falls on CDC and the admin to get control of this like they should have done a long ass time ago.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I love the Eyes of Texas but I love winning football games more. This is not Sark or Herman’s or the donors fault. This falls on CDC and the admin to get control of this like they should have done a long ass time ago.

The emails are kinda the donors' fault.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The emails are kinda the donors' fault.

Yeah, I said it months ago either up thread here, or in another thread - if donors are pulling their money because of this, good.  And fuck them.  Those emails are fucking embarrassing and I'd support telling each of them to fuck off with their money.  There is more $$ to take its place that isn't scared of a bit of a privilege check.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1
30 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Correct. I hate this thread so much. It’s a fucking song and a badass one at that, especially when we whip the shit out of whoever we’re playing. It’s the fucking school song. I never leave a game early so I can sing the eyes out of respect to the players. Just fuck this whole saga 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1