atomheartbevo

Apple TV+ Doing Isaac Asimov’s Foundation.

Well shit. I never once imagined this story could be done justice as a film but it could work as a series. We'll see if they can tell the whole story without a fuckload of exposition.  

The obviously forced comparison of Apple to Asimov was gross. Stop that. 

14 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Well shit. I never once imagined this story could be done justice as a film but it could work as a series. We'll see if they can tell the whole story without a fuckload of exposition.  

They appear to be looking at all of the books - from reading around, looks like they are reaching into some of the other books for either characters or events, so that newcomers are not quite in the dark.  It's been a while since I read them, so I need to look at what they were talking about.  

14 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The obviously forced comparison of Apple to Asimov was gross. Stop that. 

Yep.  It's what somebody would say if they were given their dream project and big bucks to make it happen, but they aren't supposed to say it in a publicity spot for the show.  They can keep that between them and their backers.

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

Jared Harris alone probably makes this worth a shot.

He can carry the series.  He's got a helluva resume - Mad Men, The Terror, and then Chernobyl.  And those are just the more well-known ones.  But he's got the chops for it.

Apple TV doing Foundation.  Amazon putting over a billion dollars into a Lord of the Rings series.  HBO doing a Game of Thrones prequel series or two.  BBC doing an initial 8-part series based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld.  Netflix doing Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.  Showtime doing a Gormenghast series.  Netflix doing a proper Chronicles of Narnia.  Amazon doing a Conan series (the Barbarian, not the Bog Jumper).  Amazon doing The Dark Tower.

And Amazon is doing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Wheel of Time and Foundation are legitimately two series that I thought would never be made.

These next few years are going to be crazy.

He can carry the series.  He's got a helluva resume - Mad Men, The Terror, and then Chernobyl.  And those are just the more well-known ones.  But he's got the chops for it.
Apple TV doing Foundation.  Amazon putting over a billion dollars into a Lord of the Rings series.  HBO doing a Game of Thrones prequel series or two.  BBC doing an initial 8-part series based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld.  Netflix doing Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.  Showtime doing a Gormenghast series.  Netflix doing a proper Chronicles of Narnia.  Amazon doing a Conan series (the Barbarian, not the Bog Jumper).  Amazon doing The Dark Tower.
And Amazon is doing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
Wheel of Time and Foundation are legitimately two series that I thought would never be made.
These next few years are going to be crazy.

He was good in The Expanse too.

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

I'd heard that the Amazon Dark Tower and HBO GoT prequels were dead.  Are they back on?

I think they canceled one of the GOT prequels with Naomi Watts so they could focus on another one that is based on House Targaryen.  It’s called House of the Dragon.  HBO bought the full prequel series or something like that.  

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t there another Dune too?

Yep.  With an amazing cast and a director who seems to get it.  

Wow.  This is an ambitious project. Interested to see how the portray The Mule.  Hopefully they don't dumb it down too much.

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t there another Dune too?

This guy is one of the biggest Dune nerds on YouTube (some of the new Dune producers/assistants/whatever have talked to him) , and has a lot of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1rFmaGLYr0Ve_Y_soxZNWQ/videos

He has info on the Dune the Sisterhood TV series as well.  He also likes Foundation and talks a bit about it as well.

It's just.....odd to me how much Hollywood is diving into sci-fi and fantasy, but all hail George R. R. Martin.

I'm half-expecting to see somebody to start doing Clarke's Rama series.

Hell, Netflix picked up the rights to Old Man's War a few years ago.