Apple TV+ Doing Isaac Asimov’s Foundation.

atomheartbevo

On 10/4/2021 at 12:13 PM, Buzzrock said:

They did it again, they said they can keep the water clock or the sundial technology but not both. That makes no sense to me.

This episode jumped a couple of decades and kind of felt like a connector episode. Now that there is an enemy things might pick up. Still in.

I'm through episode 3 and have gotten some chuckles out of this as well. My dudes, just snap a few fucking photos of both items and move on. Is the Foundation running low on hard drive space? And before they were arguing about which numeral system to keep. It's crazy, I know, but maybe we should just write down the general case on literally one piece of paper?

• Like 1

This show is not going beyond 3 seasons. It is 50-50 if it even gets to a 3rd one. 

I will be very very happy to be wrong.

This show is too expensive, and probably doesn't even get a million viewers.  Better to burn this kinda money on a talk show or reality tv show and get more subs. 

I was starting to enjoy the show but Ep 9 fell pretty flat for me. It seemed kinda sloppy from a storytelling standpoint. Just a stupid back and forth power struggle with the Terminians and Anachreons, followed by a weak “let’s all be friends” speech by Salvor, followed by her shooting a freaking bow and arrow into warrior chick’s neck.

I hope the don’t kill off the current version of Brother Day. I think the story of one of them being an imperfect copy and having some misgivings about their dynasty is pretty interesting. If they kill and replace him, then it feels like we wasted ~5 episodes on nothing.

Wish they would show more of Trantor and develop more characters there. It’s the most populous planet in the galaxy and we see 3 versions of Empire plus Demerzel and basically nothing happens outside their palace.

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I was starting to enjoy the show but Ep 9 fell pretty flat for me. It seemed kinda sloppy from a storytelling standpoint. Just a stupid back and forth power struggle with the Terminians and Anachreons, followed by a weak “let’s all be friends” speech by Salvor, followed by her shooting a freaking bow and arrow into warrior chick’s neck.

I hope the don’t kill off the current version of Brother Day. I think the story of one of them being an imperfect copy and having some misgivings about their dynasty is pretty interesting. If they kill and replace him, then it feels like we wasted ~5 episodes on nothing.

Wish they would show more of Trantor and develop more characters there. It’s the most populous planet in the galaxy and we see 3 versions of Empire plus Demerzel and basically nothing happens outside their palace.

For brother Dawn (who I assume you’re talking about), I think the current Day will spare him because it fills the “look, we can change/we have souls” argument pretty well that he just made with the Luminism subplot - and that can make it easier to sell the Empire being the way to its trillions of followers. 

Haven’t read the books at all, but I dread the tv scenes with salvor. I assume the character is important to the story based on screen time but I find her scenes lacking. I definitely liked any of the story with hari, gaal or empire.
The show has "PC'd" a number of the characters, but keeping them reasonably fair to original character arcs.  Gaal and Salvor, for instance, aren't young black women in the books - not too shocking of a change in today's climate to try to be more "inclusive", but it wasn't Asimov's original casting.  Demerzel was a "male" robot, but I think having this character as a female with that layer of (artificial robot) empathy really works better.  In the books, the Empire is ruled by a series of emperors, not a rolling sequence of clones -- here I really like the TV change, because it shows how resistant "Empire" is to any change that challenges "them".  Numerous other changes and additions to the book (especially around Hari), but it's keeping the primary storyline moving forward.  
TONS of high-frequency plot twists/cliffhangers in the finale ... I'm ready for Season 2.

3 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

The show has "PC'd" a number of the characters, but keeping them reasonably fair to original character arcs.  Gaal and Salvor, for instance, aren't young black women in the books - not too shocking of a change in today's climate to try to be more "inclusive", but it wasn't Asimov's original casting.  Demerzel was a "male" robot, but I think having this character as a female with that layer of (artificial robot) empathy really works better. 

Let's not kid ourselves - the book was a sausage fest. NTTIAWWT for those who would prefer an almost entirely male cast.  Swapping the robot worked out extremely well.

3 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

In the books, the Empire is ruled by a series of emperors, not a rolling sequence of clones -- here I really like the TV change, because it shows how resistant "Empire" is to any change that challenges "them".  Numerous other changes and additions to the book (especially around Hari), but it's keeping the primary storyline moving forward.  
TONS of high-frequency plot twists/cliffhangers in the finale ... I'm ready for Season 2.

I love the cloned Emperor thing, and had Asimov been around, I think he'd love it as well, as it really does give more of a "permanence" to the Empire, especially when Asimov is writing stores that just around by decades (and even centuries here and there).  It's basically saying "the Emperor has been perfected, and so we are cloning him."

Looking forward to S2 as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:12 PM, hornian said:

For brother Dawn (who I assume you’re talking about), I think the current Day will spare him because it fills the “look, we can change/we have souls” argument pretty well that he just made with the Luminism subplot - and that can make it easier to sell the Empire being the way to its trillions of followers. 

Welp, I called that one. 

Didn’t see the Demerzel final solution, however. 

Have they explained what they do with their poop on their ships? Do they recycle it in their food? Do they space litter? This is really bothering me.
It's part of the interstellar propulsion system... or more accurately "poopulsion".

Asimov wrote extensively about this in his little known novella "Foundation and Excrement".
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, wild_turkey said:

Well, they've already warned you multiple times that the entire galactic imperial dynasty is gonna get decimated, so...

On 11/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, wild_turkey said:

Well, they've already warned you multiple times that the planet of Trantor is gonna get devastated, so...

:)

Just kidding around.  Like others who've read the books, I really like the new genetic cloning element introduced for the Imperial Dynasty.  As pointed out, in the books it's multiple different emperors that rule during the descent of the empire.  This new element lends more permanence to the dynasty.  It also allows the same actors to remain over hundreds of years of plot, where in the actual book/short stories, it was different new characters all the time, and I think this way it's easier for a television audience to follow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

In February 2022, Apple announced the addition of 10 new cast members to the series for season two. They include Isabella Laughland, Kulvinder Ghir, Sandra Yi Sencindiver, Ella-Rae Smith, Dimitri Leonidas, Ben Daniels, Holt McCallany, Mikael Persbrandt, Rachel House, and Nimrat Kaur.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Question.

When Hari and Gaal were exiled to Terminus after the bridge was destroyed, the trip was to takes years.  Two episodes later, The Empire lost contact with Terminus and sent a military ship to see what was up.  They seemingly made it in hours.  What am I missing?

Season 2 Ep 1.

Spoiler

So nothing happens for 138 years, then suddenly Hari escapes, Gaal randomly finds her daughter, Day is getting married, Day almost gets assassinated, the Empire just now finds out the war party they sent over a century ago lost, and there's a planet-killing spaceship somewhere out there?  Weird.

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Season 2 Ep 1.

Hide contents

So nothing happens for 138 years, then suddenly Hari escapes, Gaal randomly finds her daughter, Day is getting married, Day almost gets assassinated, the Empire just now finds out the war party they sent over a century ago lost, and there's a planet-killing spaceship somewhere out there?  Weird.

I'm caught up on season 2. Not really spoilers, but just in case

Spoiler

Yeah there's too much shit going on. Too many jumps in both time and location. In particular, I really have no idea what Gaal and Salvor are doing, where they are, or what their goals are. I'm pretty close to being out on this show. They always said Foundation was unfilmable and turns out they were probably right.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 3:35 PM, Scary Stranger said:

Yes, Empire has jump ships.  Civilian ships don't have jump drives.

The jump sequence is probably my favorite scene in the show thus far. The logistics of space travel in sci-fi has always fascinated me.

Folding space in Dune is probably my favorite. Hyperdrive is cool in Star Wars, but it’s never really explained in the films/TV shows. They just go really fast and get to their destination in a few minutes or hours. Warp in Star Trek also very cool, but one thing that annoyed me about TNG is that they’d spend a week in warp to get to their next mission.

• 4 weeks later...