All the other bad things happening in 2020: mega thread

Parliament

Sorry man, your wife likes when I talk in bed.  Though she typically prefers the izquierda fingers rather than the derecho. I am thankful I am ambidextrous, and she is really thankful.  

Edited by Lobo

On 8/5/2020 at 12:25 PM, clapclapclap said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8593873/Kindergarten-Cop-CANCELED-compared-Birth-Nation.html?fbclid=IwAR18wFhl4xM0M6ECvaAiLD9GzD5z5yidRCET5dcGR4cSTSqdnbDIYE7-_ak

Kindergarten Cop is CANCELED: Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1990 comedy is pulled from film festival for 'romanticizing over-policing children' and is compared to Birth Of A Nation

Kindergarten Cop was pulled from drive-in festival in Portland this week

Critics denounced it as 'celebrating the school-to-prison pipeline'

Compared the 1990 comedy to the explicitly racist 1915 film Birth Of A Nation

In place of Kindergarten Cop, a film celebrating late Rep. John Lewis will air

...Kindergarten Cop, which was filmed in Astoria, Oregon, had originally been selected for the festival for its importance to the state's history in film making, and to honor its 30th anniversary, according to Willamette Week.

Yes, KINDERGARTEN COP is only a movie. So are BIRTH OF A NATION and GONE WITH THE WIND, but we recognize films like those are not “good family fun,"' Leveen said in a tweet.

'They are relics of how pop culture feeds racist assumptions,' the author added.

'There’s nothing entertaining about the presence of police in schools, which feeds the “school-to-prison” pipeline in which African American, Latinx, and other kids of color are criminalized rather than educated,' Leveen said in another tweet.

Kindergarten Cop portrays a police officer, portrayed by Schwarzenegger, going undercover as a kindergarten teacher in order to catch a drug dealer who is targeting his own ex-wife and son.

The main character, who has no teaching experience, is shown struggling with classroom management before finding a passion for education and considering changing his career entirely....

31579716-8593873-image-a-1_1596601363246

Anti-police critics led by local author Lois Leveen (above) said the PG-13 movie promoted a 'school-to-prison pipeline' and 'romanticizes over-policing'

31579938-8593873-image-a-4_1596601964653

That's the hardest I've laughed in a few days. Bravo.

Love this tidbit:

Other films slated to run at the festival include Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Xanadu, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and The Shining.

So Kindergarten cop gets pulled, but the overly misogynistic Fast Times gets a green light? Not that I have a problem with Fast Times, just seems like a strange duality there.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Okay, how the fuck did I live in the Midwest for 17 years of my life and never learn of a 'Derecho'.  I feel like Gob Bluth learning that his girlfriend was sleeping with another Hispanic named, "Hermano."  

I suppose we really should start discussing the possibility that this is the end of the World.  all we need is a false messiah and some boiling fish and we're pretty much there.  

If it makes you feel any better, I've lived here for 35 years, actually suffered significant property damage as the result of one, and don't think I had heard the term until yesterday.  We always just called it straight line wind.

Granted, the swath of destruction that happened yesterday (it went from South Dakota to Ohio) was pretty much unprecedented.

Yeah, we had a bad straight line wind storm with a nasty bow-echo near us out in Plainfield one year.  Blew out some of our windows at school.  But never heard it called Derecho.

i remember a few years back when some Lubbock rednecks got pissy when the Arabic word, Haboob, was used to describe  their sand storms.  They felt it was too terroristic sounding.  I’m sure some Midwest rednecks will take issue with this Mexican sounding word being used in their meteorology reports.  

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've lived here for 35 years, actually suffered significant property damage as the result of one, and don't think I had heard the term until yesterday.  We always just called it straight line wind.

Granted, the swath of destruction that happened yesterday (it went from South Dakota to Ohio) was pretty much unprecedented.

Ten million acres there.  Time to buy corn!

iowa-derecho-area-8-20.jpg

I got stuck in that storm Monday on the way to the airport. My uncle stopped at my cousin’s house to try and ride it out but couldn’t get in since she was at work and the power was out. We hunkered down by her front door since the house was mostly blocking the wind. Holy shit that was some insane wind. We watched several good sized trees go down. Also the number of semis rolled over and power poles snapped in half was crazy. My uncle told me yesterday that they recorded gusts of 100 and 112 pretty close to where we were.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/06/26/carrier-aviators-counseled-after-wearing-patch-depicting-bat-chinas-newest-carrier.html

USS Ford Aviators Counseled After Wearing Patch Depicting a Bat as 'China's Newest Carrier'

Aviators in a small training detachment aboard the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford were recently counseled by leadership after wearing an unauthorized and inappropriate patch, the Navy said.

Half of the patch, according to a photo on Twitter, included the aircraft carrier's logo with the words "America's Newest Carrier" and "Integrity at the Helm." The other half, however, depicted an image of a bat with the words "China's Newest Carrier," a reference to one theory about the origins of the novel coronavirus.

"The patch in question was inappropriate and not consistent with uniform regulations, which state patches must be appropriate in nature and approved by commanding officers," Cmdr. Jennifer Cragg, (the diet queen?) spokeswoman for Naval Air Force Atlantic, said in an email Thursday. (snip)

086An1Zu?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It was in the news yesterday, and in the CNN article shows that it was updated today. I don't know when it was posted.

Relatively quickly.  Stories like that first get picked up by local news outlets, then national.  Within about 24 hours, it was national.  That's pretty common.  It wasn't purposeful ignroance or anything like that.  Hell, several of the recent police or vigilante killings of black people that grabbed headlines took longer to get traction.  

17 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Also see this story prominently featured on ABC News' site. What's your definition of "virtual silence"? Would love to know, thanks.

The shooting execution happened Sunday, but I'm glad that news is finally getting around to reporting it today only after Fox News called the media out for their silence.  But better late than never I guess.

I'll admit - I didn't know about it until this morning and I watch the news daily.  My first thought was how was this not one of the leads on the network news?

Edited by Message Board User

29 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The shooting execution happened Sunday, but I'm glad that news is finally getting around to reporting it today only after Fox News called the media out for their silence.  But better late than never I guess.

I'll admit - I didn't know about it until this morning and I watch the news daily.  My first thought was how was this not one of the leads on the network news?

Mostly because -- and this is sad as hell -- there's lots of horrifically awful shit that happens, every day, all the time.  CPS comes across a dead kid laying in his own shit, while mom is in the other room drunk or high.  Etc. etc.  Happens all the damned time.

Person-on-person crime generally doesn't draw the same attention and coverage as killings committed in the name of the State (which is what police shootings are).  Murders caught on video are more newsworthy -- see the Ahmaud Arbery murder, which got effectively no national coverage....until the dashcam video of one of the guys who participated in the whole affair was released.  Again, it's not anything sinister or biased -- it's about elements that make a story newsworthy on a national level.

And on this one, it's not that a kid was killed.  Or that a white kid was killed by a black man.  It's that he was executed in cold-blood that makes the story higher profile.  We're a sick-ass society.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Mostly because -- and this is sad as hell -- there's lots of horrifically awful shit that happens, every day, all the time.  CPS comes across a dead kid laying in his own shit, while mom is in the other room drunk or high.  Etc. etc.  Happens all the damned time.

Person-on-person crime generally doesn't draw the same attention and coverage as killings committed in the name of the State (which is what police shootings are).  Murders caught on video are more newsworthy -- see the Ahmaud Arbery murder, which got effectively no national coverage....until the dashcam video of one of the guys who participated in the whole affair was released.  Again, it's not anything sinister or biased -- it's about elements that make a story newsworthy on a national level.

And on this one, it's not that a kid was killed.  Or that a white kid was killed by a black man.  It's that he was executed in cold-blood that makes the story higher profile.  We're a sick-ass society.

Fair nuff.  Have some rep.  CaptainAnt too.

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

25 year old piece of shit executes a 5 year old in North Carolina and...virtual silence in the national media.  I wonder why...

I saw it on "national media."  There's so much horrific shit that goes on all the time, that not every story is front and center for you.

For instance, did you hear about Roland and Donna Grabowski?  A Texas couple that stuck their baby in a bucket of tar.  That's from the last 24 hours or so.

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I saw it on "national media."  There's so much horrific shit that goes on all the time, that not every story is front and center for you.

For instance, did you hear about Roland and Donna Grabowski?  A Texas couple that stuck their baby in a bucket of tar.  That's from the last 24 hours or so.

https://wikiglobals.com/donna-roland-grabowski-wiki-bio-age/ 

Jesus.

Hell, I just heard a brief story during a news break on KUT for the very first time TODAY about three Jackson, Mississippi, cops who were today charged with the murder of a man that happened in JANUARY 2019.

Be sure to read the last two sentences in the linked story.

Just checked the front page of CNN and CNN/US and didn't see a thing. Even performed a CTRL+F on "Jackson" and "Mississippi." Nothing.

Edited by bolverk

I've been reading about Floods, Tornados, Snow, Hail, Typhoons, Eathguakes, Lighting, in China.  If one were into conspiracies, you would think the US activated the HAARP program and is controlling the weather.

Edited by BNB

1 hour ago, BNB said:

I've been reading about Floods, Tornados, Snow, Hail, Typhoons, Eathguakes, Lighting, in China.  If one were into conspiracies, you would think the US activated the HAARP program and is controlling the weather.

The fucking Qanon idiots (you know, the 920+ page thread on TexAgs) are so hyper-focused on child sex rings in Washington and jailing certain people, they are completely ignoring all of the actual crazy shit that is happening in real life.   Nothing they have pushed has come true, but all around them is plenty of crazy shit that should keep Alex Jones and Co. busy for years to come.

https://iowastartingline.com/2020/08/16/cedar-rapids-is-even-worse-than-you-think/

Everyone in town warned those who hadn’t seen it yet that the level of destruction in Cedar Rapids was “unimaginable.” That was somehow understating it.

Volunteers and relief groups poured into Iowa’s second-largest city this weekend to assist with cleanup and humanitarian help after Monday’s derecho storm devastated a giant swath of the Iowa landscape. Those who drove out from Des Moines witnessed a four-county stretch of utter destruction, filled with flattened corn fields and mangled farm structures. No mile of the countryside was not impacted.

Then they arrived in Cedar Rapids.

There are simply no words, photos or videos sufficient to describe the full extent of the carnage. A land hurricane. A bomb. An apocalypse. A 40-mile wide tornado. An artillery barrage. Not even those descriptions suffice as we simply haven’t seen something like this before, we have no frame of reference. Local reporters have covered it extensively under impossible conditions, but unless you see it in person, it’s impossible to fully visualize — our story here won’t be enough, but hopefully it helps.

Usually when you see a destroyed house or an overturned car on the news from most disasters, you think, well, they must be showing us the worst of the worst.

Everything here is catastrophic. That photo you saw of a massive tree so uprooted it took a chunk of someone’s yard and the street with it? There’s one of those literally every three blocks, if not more.

Every power line is tangled, every tree blasted, every house damaged, every street covered in branches or downed trees or smashed cars trapped under them. In many areas, a thin dusting of what looks like clumpy white snow is affixed to the side of nearly every building. Look closer and you’ll see it’s insulation from blown-up roofs spread over miles and miles of the city. (snip)

Cedar-Terrace-9-640x369.jpeg

Cedar-Terrace-4.jpeg

Cedar-Terrace-10-1024x602.jpegTree-on-house.jpg

Marion-business-owners.jpg

Cedar-Terrace-7.jpeg

Dave-Couff.jpg

Marion-nursing-home-412.jpg

Cedar-Rapids-derecho-46-640x380.jpeg

(The article has the story for each picture.)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

who had The Plague in their 2020 Bingo card?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-tahoe-california-bubonic-plague-resident-tests-positive/

Health officials have confirmed a case of plague at South Lake Tahoe - the first in California in five years. El Dorado County officials said Monday that the California Department of Public Health notified them of the positive test of a local resident who is under medical care while recovering at home.

Plague bacteria are most often transmitted by fleas that have acquired it from infected squirrels, chipmunks and other wild rodents. Dogs and cats may also carry plague-infected fleas.

Health officials believe the South Lake Tahoe resident may have been bitten by an infected flea while walking a dog along the Truckee River corridor or in the Tahoe Keys area on Tahoe's south shore.

https://iowastartingline.com/2020/08/16/cedar-rapids-is-even-worse-than-you-think/
Everyone in town warned those who hadn’t seen it yet that the level of destruction in Cedar Rapids was “unimaginable.” That was somehow understating it.
Volunteers and relief groups poured into Iowa’s second-largest city this weekend to assist with cleanup and humanitarian help after Monday’s derecho storm devastated a giant swath of the Iowa landscape. Those who drove out from Des Moines witnessed a four-county stretch of utter destruction, filled with flattened corn fields and mangled farm structures. No mile of the countryside was not impacted.
Then they arrived in Cedar Rapids.
There are simply no words, photos or videos sufficient to describe the full extent of the carnage. A land hurricane. A bomb. An apocalypse. A 40-mile wide tornado. An artillery barrage. Not even those descriptions suffice as we simply haven’t seen something like this before, we have no frame of reference. Local reporters have covered it extensively under impossible conditions, but unless you see it in person, it’s impossible to fully visualize — our story here won’t be enough, but hopefully it helps.
Usually when you see a destroyed house or an overturned car on the news from most disasters, you think, well, they must be showing us the worst of the worst.
Everything here is catastrophic. That photo you saw of a massive tree so uprooted it took a chunk of someone’s yard and the street with it? There’s one of those literally every three blocks, if not more.
Every power line is tangled, every tree blasted, every house damaged, every street covered in branches or downed trees or smashed cars trapped under them. In many areas, a thin dusting of what looks like clumpy white snow is affixed to the side of nearly every building. Look closer and you’ll see it’s insulation from blown-up roofs spread over miles and miles of the city. (snip)
Cedar-Terrace-9-640x369.jpeg
Cedar-Terrace-4.jpeg
Cedar-Terrace-10-1024x602.jpegTree-on-house.jpg
Marion-business-owners.jpg

Cedar-Terrace-7.jpeg
Dave-Couff.jpg
Marion-nursing-home-412.jpg
Cedar-Rapids-derecho-46-640x380.jpeg
(The article has the story for each picture.)

Iowa's Governor put out an emergency request for donations of Busch Light, ranch dressing and crocs this morning. Really bad down there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did anyone this on their 2020 disaster Bingo card - hole in the Earth's magnetic field (I know it says dent, but really it is just a matter of time)

A growing dent in Earth's magnetic field over South America and the southern Atlantic Ocean could pose a risk to spacecraft and satellites.

This evolving weak spot in the magnetic field, called the South Atlantic Anomaly, is being monitored by NASA, but the space agency said it will not affect us here on Earth.
The magnetic field protects us, acting as a shield against the solar wind -- stream of charged particles and radiation -- that flows out from the sun. This field's protection also extends to include satellites orbiting close to Earth.
But the South Atlantic Anomaly is allowing solar particles to get closer than before. Solar radiation could have a negative effect as satellites pass through this area, knocking out their computers and interfering with data collection, according to NASA.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/world/nasa-earth-magnetic-field-dent-scn-trnd/index.html