Running thread of the disaster that is the new school year

Superhero

Dude, just got to private school. You'll be glad you did. Our experience thus far (only 3 days in) has been amazing and nothing like what I feared and, honestly, expected.
Small classes; real learning with regimented safety/protocols that don't care about catering to the lowest common denominator. Either you come to school prepared to be safe and learn or you can go somewhere else and they aren't foolin' with you.

Yeah, that was a moment of frustration. I work from home and my office is upstairs. Our PC is in the office downstairs where my son does his schoolwork. I hold meetings damn near all day, so when I get chance to help him I do. It just never fails that he asks for help at the beginning of every goddamn assignment and then again before he submits it. It also hasn’t sunk into his very thick skull that I haven’t been in 7th grade in 39 years so there are things that a 7th grader would need to know that a 51 year old PM doesn’t. It also never fails that he needs help as soon as I’ve reached the top of the stairs.

You say reports a lot. 

We had 3 of the 4 kids in our daughter's learning pod show up today.  Was basically just circle time and  letting them run around in the backyard together after social isolation.  Parents talked future schedules over donuts and coffee.  Had a 30 minute zoom session with the two teachers that were basically just logistics conversations.  I don't think this is gonna be as smooth as many people hope and I don't think this semester is gonna be "lost" like many people think.  It'll land, where most educational opportunities usually do, somewhere in the middle based on what parents are willing to put into it.  One thing I did not anticipate, as discussed above, my cooling measures for the garage proved effective.  But then they went and ran around and played soccer before the last lesson before lunch.  Well, backyard is in the sun at that hour and they all ran around like crazy.  Then they came back into an 80-degree garage which was fine earlier, but their bodies just couldn't cool down.  We are really gonna have to rethink recess/PE at least for the next month.  The kids were all just overheated for the last hour of the "day."  But all in all, a decent start to the year...better than I was expecting.  Onward...through the fog.

Edited by Lobo

Yep, on a thread of dads talking about what they're doing about at-home learning, I've offered up some personal stories and learned a lot from reading from others.  Sorry you have a problem with it but it's kinda the point of the thread dipshit.  Let the adults talk and rail on me on some other thread, plenty of opportunities for you to do that.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

First day of school in Eanes, and middle and elementary school went surprisingly smoothly.  The kids seem tired, though, after all day sitting on zoom calls.

I sympathize.

You can PM me, but which elementary school if you don't mind me asking?  

We are now starting day 3.  Kids are already exhausted.  They are not used to the schedule being off for 6 months.  Also some teacher tested positive for covid in their high school but its all cool they sanitized the entire area and let parents know if their kid was in contact.  We were not on the list.  I assume we will be forced to go all virtual on Monday.  And from what I have heard the online schooling is not going well.

16 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Surprised so few of you using private schools, surly millionaires and all.  Yeah, its fuckin expensive but you get what you pay for, ie no one bringing shitty shit home.

Not necessarily.  Not by a long shot.

Queue the Will Hunting $1.50 in late charges quote.

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

We are now starting day 3.  Kids are already exhausted.  They are not used to the schedule being off for 6 months.  Also some teacher tested positive for covid in their high school but its all cool they sanitized the entire area and let parents know if their kid was in contact.  We were not on the list.  I assume we will be forced to go all virtual on Monday.  And from what I have heard the online schooling is not going well.

That sucks for your kids. Are the hallways crowded in between classes like that picture posted online? Because that seems like a perfect place for the virus to spread around.

Online schooling is going good/bad. My 8 year old seems to enjoy her class and teacher. I've been sitting with my 5 year old as he's taking class and . At this point, I may agree with my wife and to put him in private school. $900/mo isn't chump change, but it's about 2x what I would pay if he just went to an after school program.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

That sucks for your kids. Are the hallways crowded in between classes like that picture posted online? Because that seems like a perfect place for the virus to spread around.

Online schooling is going good/bad. My 8 year old seems to enjoy her class and teacher. I've been sitting with my 5 year old as he's taking class and . At this point, I may agree with my wife and to put him in private school. $900/mo isn't chump change, but it's about 2x what I would pay if he just went to an after school program.

I have a friend who went in with another friend to hire a retired teacher to teach their two kids (in total). They pay $1500 each, per month, and it's about as focused and 1x1 and as safe as you can get, which sounds like an awesome idea for those who may not want to pay the full boat of a private school because they are going back to publics once pandemic has been resolved but they want a stop gap measure.

Edited by Rougarou

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I've been sitting with my 5 year old as he's taking class and . At this point, I may agree with my wife and to put him in private school. $900/mo isn't chump change, but it's about 2x what I would pay if he just went to an after school program.

Honestly, if I had a kid supposed to start kinder I'd probably just hold them out a year.  Especially if they were born later spring early summer. People "redshirt" their 5 year old all the time for much less legitimate reason.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Honestly, if I had a kid supposed to start kinder I'd probably just hold them out a year.  Especially if they were born later spring early summer. People "redshirt" their 5 year old all the time for much less legitimate reason.  

Yeah, that's probably what I'd do too.  You guys could home school him pretty easy yourself for Kindergarten if he doesn't have a late spring or summer birthday, and just put him in first grade next year.  Sounds like more of a daycare issue.

Yeah, except both my wife and I work, and with deadlines next month, it can get pretty damn stressful. Having a kid at home on the iPad all day is not exactly what we want for him. I probably don't need a tutor, but a babysitter who can read, draw pictures and teach basic math could probably do the trick.

6 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Yeah, except both my wife and I work, and with deadlines next month, it can get pretty damn stressful. Having a kid at home on the iPad all day is not exactly what we want for him. I probably don't need a tutor, but a babysitter who can read, draw pictures and teach basic math could probably do the trick.

You should look into getting an au pair.  A really, really hot au pair.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

We keep thinking about this.  We're technically "enrolled" at our Spanish Immersion Kinder program at our local ISD right now with my wife running all the supplemental work and hosting a learning pod for our daughter and three other kids.  But we keep that hole card in our back pocket of maybe just pulling her out altogether, since this is gonna be a shitshow year our oldest has a late birthday to begin with (late April).  But my wife brought up a good point...if we do that...she'll be in a Kinder class of like 35 next year between redshirts and actual 5-year olds.  If we can figure out a way to help her progress this year, she'll be in 1st grade next year in a class of like 15 and could possibly be kick-ass.  I think we're all thinking about hold-backs/advances/risings/etc.  But we forget, or at least we do...that there's a lot of other people out there thinking the same thing and we're gonna have some really clogged-up classrooms next year based on parent decisions.  I think we'll see 1st graders moved on to 2nd grade, but these tectonic grade levels like Kinder, 6th grade, Freshmen....those are gonna create some chokepoints.  NOt sure how we deal with that backlog.  I dunno.  

There are fluctuations in grade level class sizes every year. Staff simply shift what grade they teach to keep numbers in the room steady.

If what you are saying actually took place a 1st grade teacher would switch to Kinder to balance it.

That stuff happens every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

We asked the boy whether he liked the online classes, or if he want to go to in-person classes. He mentioned he wanted to stay home because he could play the Roblox paintball game after this classes. 🙄

Anyway, the wife just called to say she enrolled him into the private school. This was AFTER she already emailed them to say okay. I had let her make the call since she's at home with him 24/7 whereas I go to to the office 2-3 days per week. But damn it woman, at least tell me before you tell the school.

Edited by Superhero

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

We keep thinking about this.  We're technically "enrolled" at our Spanish Immersion Kinder program at our local ISD right now with my wife running all the supplemental work and hosting a learning pod for our daughter and three other kids.  But we keep that hole card in our back pocket of maybe just pulling her out altogether, since this is gonna be a shitshow year our oldest has a late birthday to begin with (late April).  But my wife brought up a good point...if we do that...she'll be in a Kinder class of like 35 next year between redshirts and actual 5-year olds.  If we can figure out a way to help her progress this year, she'll be in 1st grade next year in a class of like 15 and could possibly be kick-ass.  I think we're all thinking about hold-backs/advances/risings/etc.  But we forget, or at least we do...that there's a lot of other people out there thinking the same thing and we're gonna have some really clogged-up classrooms next year based on parent decisions.  I think we'll see 1st graders moved on to 2nd grade, but these tectonic grade levels like Kinder, 6th grade, Freshmen....those are gonna create some chokepoints.  NOt sure how we deal with that backlog.  I dunno.  

There's laws that govern class size up to 4th grade I think.  22 per class.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

9c1295125fd43e43ce47a6b25c794c98.jpg

@lobo

How did you solve the garage temperature problem? Got a couple of friends trying to figure it out.

First thing to do is re-orient the garage to face north. ;)

i got a decent fan air rotation thing going on with the three doors/back door that really minimizes (admittedly does not eliminate) air from one kids desk towards another.  Vinyl play tunnels actually.   Anyway, can’t describe it but I’ll take some pics on daylight and figure out how to post them.  But biggest thing is sun orientation which yeah, you can’t really control.  I also open all the doors at 5am and kick on the fans to push out all hot air. But flow from 9-11am is key 

Edited by Lobo

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

School is the garage in summer during August in the state of texas seems pretty fucked up. I don't care what direction it faces, go set up your home office in the garage with a fan and see how long that lasts. 

Could be worse, they could be out working in the yard in August like my parents had us doing from the age of 5 on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

School is the garage in summer during August in the state of texas seems pretty fucked up. I don't care what direction it faces, go set up your home office in the garage with a fan and see how long that lasts. 

You ever have class outside growing up or in college in September or May, it’s about like that.  I temp it every day this week.  It’s 80 degrees and no direct sunlight.  Kids are all healthy and comfortably dressed.  They’re not the morbidly obese kids you see at Political rallies.  I cleared out the whole thing, so they get a massive space to do art and music and learn.  And best part is they can walk right into the backyard to play and run around during their two breaks.  I don’t work out there because I’m old, cranky, and my blood never acclimated to Texas heat.  They are all five years old, acclimated, thin, and it’s only overall about three hours a day then they go home to do digital learning.  In another month, it’ll be damn comfy.  In two months, these little learners will need jackets.  They did awesome today!

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don’t believe you gif. But agree in a few months it will be awesome out there. 

You seem like an “indoorsy” kinda guy. ;)

The two backdoors that open to the backyard with portable tower fans by the thresholds are the key.  If the garage only opened to the house, we’d be screwed.  The shitty part is I gotta get up in seven hours to open all the doors; start the fans, and get the temp down.  Things we do for our little girls.  

Where you at Ric?

Not sure where to put this, so I am going to put it here.  Regarding Dependent Care Accounts...

Is anyone aware of any legislation or other policies being proposed to deal with DCA balances?  Day cares and summer activities that typically use up our funds were a not go this year, and I am sitting on a grand in this account that I don't see a line to spending.  I will lose the money at end of the year. I believe that this is a tax law issue, and not something that employers can adjust policy on.  Anybody dealing with this?  Finding a way to spend the money?

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure where to put this, so I am going to put it here.  Regarding Dependent Care Accounts...

Is anyone aware of any legislation or other policies being proposed to deal with DCA balances?  Day cares and summer activities that typically use up our funds were a not go this year, and I am sitting on a grand in this account that I don't see a line to spending.  I will lose the money at end of the year. I believe that this is a tax law issue, and not something that employers can adjust policy on.  Anybody dealing with this?  Finding a way to spend the money?

yeah that's what we're wondering too.  

50 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah that's what we're wondering too.  

I have an email out to my HR.  Looks like you might be able to halt the contributions, but your money is locked in there unless you can find a reimbursable expense or there is a change in teh tax law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/your-money/dependent-care-account-coronavirus.html

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I have an email out to my HR.  Looks like you might be able to halt the contributions, but your money is locked in there unless you can find a reimbursable expense or there is a change in teh tax law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/your-money/dependent-care-account-coronavirus.html

thanks.  we've kicked around the idea of paying my parents if it comes to losing the whole amount.  didn't think to stop contributions first.  

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

We asked the boy whether he liked the online classes, or if he want to go to in-person classes. He mentioned he wanted to stay home because he could play the Roblox paintball game after this classes. 🙄

Anyway, the wife just called to say she enrolled him into the private school. This was AFTER she already emailed them to say okay. I had let her make the call since she's at home with him 24/7 whereas I go to to the office 2-3 days per week. But damn it woman, at least tell me before you tell the school.

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

You ever have class outside growing up or in college in September or May, it’s about like that.  I temp it every day this week.  It’s 80 degrees and no direct sunlight.  Kids are all healthy and comfortably dressed.  They’re not the morbidly obese kids you see at Political rallies.  I cleared out the whole thing, so they get a massive space to do art and music and learn.  And best part is they can walk right into the backyard to play and run around during their two breaks.  I don’t work out there because I’m old, cranky, and my blood never acclimated to Texas heat.  They are all five years old, acclimated, thin, and it’s only overall about three hours a day then they go home to do digital learning.  In another month, it’ll be damn comfy.  In two months, these little learners will need jackets.  They did awesome today!

Garage classroom is all well and good until . . .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I set up in the garage for a few months. I had a heater at first, then used a whole-room fan when it was in the 90s last week.

I get morning sun, so I open up the garage door to let in sunlight and cool air. But in the afternoons, it beats down on the side of the garage and it gets into the 80s, inside, but not unbearable.

You should probably quit posting from inside there then.  

"9-1-1?  The call is coming from inside the garage!"  

Yeah, ours is up to about 90+ at this point in the day, but the kids have been gone for over three hours and I shut the fans off hours ago as well, because you know...physics.  

Edited by Lobo