2020 Texas Football Season Thread: Win or GTFO

texifornia

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Per Nahlin, Cosmi is bailing on the rest of the season. And he won't be the only one. 

This team is losing in Manhattan and will struggle to beat Kansas. 

They’ve given up. No actual goals left.

Big 12 title? Gone.

Playoffs? Died after TCU. 

A bowl game? It’s not even special, any team who wants to go will get a spot. Assuming the lower bowls even get played. 

Holy shit. We're gonna for reals lose to Kansas twice in my lifetime. Wow. I don't feel apathy about that, I'm actually enraged. Lose to KState? Fine. Lose to Kansas? Fuck that shit. That would cause whoever is left in our class of recruits to bolt. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Word N shit

But w

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This team is losing in Manhattan and will struggle to beat Kansas. 

They’ve given up. No actual goals left.

Big 12 title? Gone.

Playoffs? Died after TCU. 

A bowl game? It’s not even special, any team who wants to go will get a spot. Assuming the lower bowls even get played. 

What about winning 70% of our games?!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SDG said:

Anwar 

As I said in the beginning of this shithole season this is going to become more and more common. It started with a skipping meaningless bowl games to now saying fuck the season and my team I’m gonna work on myself.  This year was the start. I don’t blame him at all. But the old school get off my lawn in me says you never quit on your battle brothers but the realty is this team is half filled with gaping selfish pussies who only care about themselves the other half is ROJO and Sam types.  This is now college football. Free agency. Portals and midway through saying fuck it

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

7 Team Captains down to only 3   (Only 2 Healthy)

Ehl-PFrXgAE5QEo?format=jpg&name=large

• Cosmi opt out after Iowa State
  • Caden opt out after Iowa State
  • CB opt out after Kansas canceled
  • TQ opt out after Kansas canceled
  • Kerstetter injured in final game vs K-State  🙏🙏🙏 

Horific Injury to Kerstetter probably caused CB and TQ to make business decisions...

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Again, why not stay another year and be a potential 3-4th round pick?

We say this about a lot of players who leave early. What about this coaching staff instills confidence that they can actually be coached and perform to a 3rd round pick? Cosmi I get. But sterns, graham, Chris brown? I doubt they’ll be drafted higher than the 6th if they came back next year with this same staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

We say this about a lot of players who leave early. What about this coaching staff instills confidence that they can actually be coached and perform to a 3rd round pick? Cosmi I get. But sterns, graham, Chris brown? I doubt they’ll be drafted higher than the 6th if they came back next year with this same staff.
Maybe because his best play of the past 4 seasons was the last half of this year.

Brown easily had his best year this year. Overshown improved. Jamison had his best year. Same with Ossai.

The NFL is full of dumbshits. It was not production or lack of development that caused Poona to go undrafted. Maybe CDC needs to spend time reaching out to NFL guys to find out specifically why they overlook Big 12 guys.

Stupid ass decisioning is what kills us. Personnel deployment and play calling.

We straight up whipped Georgia's and Utahs butts. Tons of draft picks on those squads.

I've yet to see a legit analysis on testing numbers (40s, cone drills, bench reps) pre and post college. That would show some evidence of physical development.

On 12/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, LTtxfan said:

7 Team Captains down to only 3   (Only 2 Healthy)

Ehl-PFrXgAE5QEo?format=jpg&name=large

• Cosmi opt out after Iowa State
  • Caden opt out after Iowa State
  • CB opt out after Kansas canceled
  • TQ opt out after Kansas canceled
  • Kerstetter injured in final game vs K-State  🙏🙏🙏 

Horific Injury to Kerstetter probably caused CB and TQ to make business decisions...

NOW Down to only 2 Captains remaining... Only Sam is healthy

Thanks for this info @utexas8

By: IT Staff    (UPDATES)

SCENARIO 3/3.5

We’ve been urging patience regarding coaching resolution and will continue to do so. So will our sources.

“I just know nothing will happen until after New Years.” - high level source to @Bobby Burton.

Inside Texas has heard the same from two other quality sources this week. As the echoes of the Scenario 1 death rattle pings through Bellmont Hall’s....er, halls, Scenario 3 (search for a commoner) and 3.5 (search for an upper-middle class candidate) are in the developmental stages.

Urban Meyer declining his invitation to coach at Texas did two things:

1) It prolonged the search timeline. This is obvious but also requires explanation. We won’t say all the eggs were in that basket but all of the effort required to pull that hire off was, and landing him was the only time sensitive acquisition out there given the positive effects it would have had on recruiting. Also, he didn’t have a real job and could have left the TV set at any time. That was a unique circumstance the other candidates don’t find themselves in.

2) It scattered the BB’s ever so slightly. That was foretold to happen in these very pages if Texas missed on Meyer. That brief scattering on the floor was cleaned up before it led to too many embarrassing slip ups like the Wet Bandits trying to burgle. Maybe we’ll return to that topic in a retrospective but for now it should be accepted as positive news.

Thinags could change with a couple public declinations, but for now this is not resembling disorganization or a circus.

When Meyer declined it guaranteed nothing would happen soon. Both the unrealistic and realistic candidates are all still coaching for titles of varying prestige.

The belief behind the scenes is that time is an ally. Fans — short for fanatics — will disagree, but if the goal is to make a great hire then sure and steady is the way things have to be. From what we can gather, none of the decision makers view Texas as being in desperation mode. You’re not going to see what’s occurring at Auburn occurring at Texas. Even Greg Fenves understood how to handle transition.

We’ve been told any names that are circling are speculation, but we’ve heard one name more frequently than the others. You’ll understandably want a name but if you take a step back I’m sure you’ll understand why we can’t give it yet. It would undoubtedly be a good hire but there’s a long way to go. No, we’re not trying to drum up subs or some other nonsense. Keeping the name quiet hurts us in that regard, but it does allow the school to operate in relative silence.

The trilateral commission (AD, president, and BOR) is cognizant of the fact some quality coaches will want to use Texas to get a raise. That will be difficult to do because there is no opening. However, talks could progress to a point a candidate has an offer from Texas as well as his current school and will have to make a choice. That’s the gamble but it happens every day in the real world.

The belief is if they handle the process correctly, it will yield greater results than haphazardly shooting boatloads of money out of a t-shirt cannon in the general direction of well known coaches.

TEAM

Texas returned to practice on Tuesday and again on Thursday. It was more of ‘back to basics’ as the team had restricted workouts during the team’s COVID issues last week. The next team practice is to be determined.

The team will learn its potential bowl location and opponent on Sunday. The most likely destination is the Cheez It Bowl or the Alamo Bowl for a team that will look very different from the last time we saw it.

Sam Cosmi, Caden Sterns, Chris Brown, and Joseph Ossai have all opted out and are preparing for the NFL Draft. It’s an opportunity for the younger players to put out good film heading into the spring.

With Cosmi out and Derek Kerstetter's injury, the offensive line continues to shuffle. The current projection from left-to-right: Karic-Angilau-Majors-Jones-Okafor. But there will be more shuffling.

We’re seeing more Andrej Karic at left tackle after his play versus Kansas State. Christian Jones has moved to RG, with Okafor moving the other direction to RT. We’re also hearing Tyler Johnson has been working at RG/RT and true freshman Jaylen Garth has been at RT. Garth has been at full strength the last two weeks and hopes to finish strong and be in a position to contribute in 2021.

At wide receiver, Brennan Eagles remains uncertain of his return or declaring for the draft. Marcus Washington is another player not guaranteed to return.

Jared Wiley’s shoulder continues to mend and his availability for the bowl game is uncertain.

On defense, you’ll see more Jett Bush at jack, Jerrin Thompson at field safety, and Kitan Crawford at corner. BJ Foster is still nursing what we believe is a hamstring injury.

IT has learned Texas could lose a young defensive back to the Portal soon after the addition of McNeese State grad transfer Darion Dunn. It’s a player who might have contributed in a more minor role next year.

Linebacker DeMarvion Overshown continues to weigh his options on returning for his senior year.

On the offensive line, Derek Kerstetter and Denzel Okafor have yet to decide if they’ll return for 2021. Willie Tyler, who opted out earlier in the year, may also return but is undecided.

One of the few areas of concern on defense next year will be defensive end. Moro Ojomo, playing out of position, came on strong, but the team could use more burst off the edge. Jacoby Jones is undecided on his return (we think it’s possible, if not likely) but we’ve heard Marqez Bimage is expected back.

So not available for the Alamo Bowl so far...

• Sam Cosmi
  • Joseph Ossai
  • Ta'Quon Graham
  • Chris Brown
  • Caden Sterns
  • Derek Kerstetter
  • Keaontay Ingram 
  • Brennan Eagles
  • Xavion Alford
  • Ja'Quinden Jackson

Still waiting to hear about any injured players or other opt outs...

(Wiley hurt??)