COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

You J&J fans are going to love next week.

Last week's J&J allocation for Texas: 30,200

This week: 153,900

Next week: 392,100

Pfizer dropped 80k for next week, Moderna went up 10k, but J&J was the big winner.

Next week will be the first week for Texas with over a million first shots.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Pfizer dropped 80k for next week, Moderna went up 10k, but J&J was the big winner.
The supply demand vector is going to be here quickly

15 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Huge one and done supply of shots. 

oh-really-well-0ugiri.jpg

That's such an America thing. We've had data for like a month showing this and most everyone has already acknowledged it. But the CDC wants us to know that they've vetted things and have it under control. Same thing historically with our FDA. Even though everyone knows it, it's not official til we say so.

I live in Sioux Falls, SD and work in agriculture.  SD is vaccinating 1E and above, which DOES include ag workers.  I have no risk factors, and I had Covid back in November.  So I was gonna wait until it went full availability before scheduling.  Folks who need it worse can have those spots.

Playing around on the website tonight and I see plenty of slots open as early as Friday.  If that's the case, they need to open it up to EVERYONE.  And I might as well schedule myself.

• Hook 'Em 3

JNJ has one ongoing down to 12. Nothign younger at this point. 

ETA: It is unfortunate that the studies on younger folks did not include a one dose regimen.  Apparently the immune response in kids was even higher than in older young adults. One shot may have been enough.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

But the CDC wants us to know that they've vetted things and have it under control. Same thing historically with our FDA. Even though everyone knows it, it's not official til we say so.

Theater and pending doom.  Lots of crying helps too.

Looks like PFE's trial of 12-15 year olds is also a bingo. Zero cases in vax arm, 18 in control arm (2260 total participants). EUA in coming weeks. Appears ahead of schedule for roll out to kids. 
Great news. My 14 year old is pissed he can't get it yet. The rest of us got our first last week.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:44 PM, JimmyJames said:

Just asking questions designed to spread around propaganda anti vax bullshit again?  My God you are so obvious.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, JimmyJames said:

Yes the big vax advocates must be wrong. Just asking questions y’all 

I’m not spreading propaganda.

Some people out there have had adverse events surrounding other vaccinations and are thus cautious. 

On that note. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

JNJ has one ongoing down to 12. Nothign younger at this point. 

ETA: It is unfortunate that the studies on younger folks did not include a one dose regimen.  Apparently the immune response in kids was even higher than in older young adults. One shot may have been enough.

Who here is having their teenagers vaccinated?

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not spreading propaganda.

Some people out there have had adverse events surrounding other vaccinations and are thus cautious. 

On that note. 

Who here is having their teenagers vaccinated?

I will once it's done with testing and trials and is available.  I have them vaccinated for the flu every year as well.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Can you expand on the "adverse events" from other vaccinations?

I’d rather not derail the thread by discussing any personal experiences. This is a pro vax thread. It’s my fault for engaging with that dipshit. 

5 hours ago, midtown said:

Sounds like they unfroze their supply for a clinic and then not enough folks showed up for the clinic.  Dimmit is at 50% first shots already.  600 shots would have covered like 8% of the county.  As these rural areas start to get to high percentages, the state needs to start sending J&J out there rather than the frozen stuff, just to avoid waste.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know much about biology or immunology, it's been 30+ years since my AP Bio days in high school. But maybe someone can explain to me, in layman's terms, why the Covid-19 vaccines (while still quite effective in most people) still allow a small percentage of immunized people to develop infection?  Is this the result of their own immune systems, even after vaccination, being deficient in some way? Or is it due to some aspect of the vaccine itself not quite being able to replicate the behavior or characteristics of the actual, live virus?

20 hours ago, Damor said:

I've already signed my 16yo up.  School nurse will be administering them in a couple weeks.  Hoping it will be available for my 13yo before school starts.

Talked to my middle school aged kid last night.  They are ready to roll as soon as EUA comes through, but we will probably hold out until August to time it for school after a few months of real world data come back. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:26 PM, HouTex said:

https://.asgct.org/research/news/november-2020/covid-19-moderna-nih-vaccine
Whether does or not, it has been called gene therapy. But I didn’t mean to get into a pissing contest on what the shot does. It’s a relatively new type of vaccine.

Circling back to here. 

traditional vaccine:  inject something into your body that is not harmful but is a proxy for something harmful, that your immune system responds to so that you are protected from the actual harmful thing. 

mrna vaccine:  inject something into your body that is not harmful, that a part of your body responds to using its normal system of rna translation to make something that is also not harmful that is a proxy for something harmful, that your immune system responds to so that you are protected from the actual harmful thing.  

the delivery mechanism is the same, the end mechanism is the same. There is one extra step of using your body’s normal rna translation to build the proxy protein instead of growing or building it ex vivo. 

That also is why people that say this or any vaccine is bad because it inhibits the immune system piss me off.  They trigger the immune system and make it more robust.  You get the same immune response whether you get a smallpox vaccine or you get smallpox.  One just comes without the symptoms and the death. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've already vaccinated my 17 year old.  Will vaccinate the 14 year old as soon as it's approved.

Why wouldn't you have your teenagers vaccinated?

This reasoning has been my go to for the few anti-vax dipshits in my family. Actually, they aren't even anti-vax, just anti-covid vax. "Wow, really? You're getting the Covid vaccine?" "Yeah, really, I'm getting the covid vaccine. Just like I (and you) have gotten every other vaccine available you stupid fucking idiot"

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've already vaccinated my 17 year old.  Will vaccinate the 14 year old as soon as it's approved.
Why wouldn't you have your teenagers vaccinated?

See my post above. It’s not crazy to avoid the vaccine for youngsters. I’m very pro vaccine. My wife and I have received the covid vaccine and my 29 year old has and my 26 year old gets it this weekend. But the disease itself is not very dangerous for people under 20. See the Texas states I quoted above. Again, as I said above, it’s not foolish to get it, but I certainly see the arguments against giving to people under 20. And it’s it not just the nut jobs that are avoiding it for this age group.
  • Like 1

Just now, HouTex said:

See my post above. It’s not crazy to avoid the vaccine for youngsters. I’m very pro vaccine. My wife and I have received the covid vaccine and my 29 year old has and my 26 year old gets it this weekend. But the disease itself is not very dangerous for people under 20. See the Texas states I quoted above. Again, as I said above, it’s not foolish to get it, but I certainly see the arguments against giving to people under 20. And it’s it not just the nut jobs that are avoiding it for this age group.

What are those arguments though?

15 minutes ago, HouTex said:

People under 20 can still spread it.  The point isn't to protect them from the likely minimal effects of the virus on their young bodies, it's to prevent them from spreading it to others.  You can't reach herd immunity if a large portion of the herd is not immune.

I'm not sure how we're a year into this, and folks still don't understand this very basic premise.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

What are those arguments though?

Reread my posts. It’s a relatively new type of vaccine. I’m just saying a parent should think twice about possible complications from a vaccine when the underlying disease is not very dangerous for that age group. I’ll say it for the third or fourth time, you aren’t wrong to have your children vaccinated against covid. But you aren’t crazy to not wanting to risk your child’s health under these circumstances. As for them possibly being spreaders, that’s why everyone else should be vaccinated—especially the high risk among us, and like my entire family has been or soon will be.

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Reread my posts. It’s a relatively new type of vaccine. I’m just saying a parent should think twice about possible complications from a vaccine when the underlying disease is not very dangerous for that age group. I’ll say it for the third or fourth time, you aren’t wrong to have your children vaccinated against covid. But you aren’t crazy to not wanting to risk your child’s health under these circumstances. As for them possibly being spreaders, that’s why everyone else should be vaccinated—especially the high risk among us, and like my entire family has been or soon will be.

It seems like you're making an assumption that immunity is conferred forever or something.  That's an unrealistic expectation.  We have no idea how long immunity is conferred.

My 80 year old father is currently vaccinated, just finished his second shot 2 weeks ago.  If that lasts 1 year, but I never get my 14yo daughter immunized, and she gets COVID 11.5 months from now and then gives it to my dad whose immunity has just run out, well then that's a pretty idiotic decision on my part.

And if it's YOUR 14yo that sickens someone else, well that's an idiotic decision on YOUR part.

Herd immunity relies on the majority of the herd gaining immunity concurrently.  This is very simple stuff,.

Edited by utee94

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

So get J&J.  Problem solved, right?  Or is there something wrong with that one, too?

It seems like you're making an assumption that immunity is conferred forever or something.  That's an unrealistic expectation.  We have no idea how long immunity is conferred.
My 80 year old father is currently vaccinated, just finished his second shot 2 weeks ago.  If that lasts 1 year, but I never get my 14yo daughter immunized, and she gets COVID 11.5 months from now and then gives it to my dad whose immunity has just run out, well then that's a pretty idiotic decision on my part.
And if it's YOUR 14yo that sickens someone else, well that's an idiotic decision on YOUR part.
Herd immunity relies on the majority of the herd gaining immunity concurrently.  This is very simple stuff,.

Nope. It’s not so simple when it’s my kid. Again, now for the fourth or fifth time, it’s not an easy decision for parents of youngsters. I wouldn’t fault a parent for getting their kids vaccinated nor would i tell them they are wrong to avoid the vaccine in this particular case. Looking out for others is noble. If it’s my kid, and under these unique circumstances, it would be a difficult choice.

21 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Nope. It’s not so simple when it’s my kid. Again, now for the fourth or fifth time, it’s not an easy decision for parents of youngsters. I wouldn’t fault a parent for getting their kids vaccinated nor would i tell them they are wrong to avoid the vaccine in this particular case. Looking out for others is noble. If it’s my kid, and under these unique circumstances, it would be a difficult choice.

You have yet to list any reasons, other than general vague fears of the unknown, regarding concern for a child's well-being wrt these vaccines.  If you have a legitimate source to cite, I'd like to see it.

Otherwise I'll chalk you up to Jenny McCarthyistic anti-vax stupidity and be done with you.

I'm pro-vaccine and already got Pfizer #1. That said, I have a very hard time judging/faulting people who don't want the MRNA vaccines. We don't have a long history of results with MRNA vaccines to prove that there are no long-term side effects. It's something of a gamble. Who am I to say how someone else should balance all the risks to his/her health?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

I'm pro-vaccine and already got Pfizer #1. That said, I have a very hard time judging/faulting people who don't want the MRNA vaccines. We don't have a long history of results with MRNA vaccines to prove that there are no long-term side effects. It's something of a gamble. Who am I to say how someone else should balance all the risks to his/her health?

But you would assume those people should be fine with the J&J vaccine, right?