COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Strange...

Cousin lives in Dallas. 32 year old. Works out (in gym-95masks etc) 5 days a week with his spouse. He recently got the vaccine. 

7 days later and he is on a ventilator. O2 under 60. Liver concerns. Possible pulmonary embolism. Doctor assumes he had it when vaccinated and the two are completely unrelated ?

Spouse...has been fine. Taking care of dogs, visiting cousin daily. He did NOT get the vaccine. Six days after my cousin was hospitalized he is in the ICU and has had a possible stroke. 

All of this makes zero sense. 

Parents of cousin, both over 70, both overweight with my uncle recently having major hip surgery...both get flu like symptoms and are better in 5 days. No hospital. 

None of this makes any sense. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

These horror stories suck. Maybe I missed the more optimistic anecdotes but I’m one of the few of my close group of friends and their college aged kids that, to my knowledge, hasn’t gotten covid. One guy (maybe 68 years old) who had other health issues was very sick and went to the hospital for a few days. He was awake the whole time and just felt like shit. He never thought he was close to death. He’s fine now. Everyone else i know of that had it—maybe 30-40 people, basically felt like they had a cold and not a very severe one at that. One or two days on Zpack and hydroxychloroquine and they were back to normal.

These horror stories suck. Maybe I missed the more optimistic anecdotes but I’m one of the few of my close group of friends and their college aged kids that, to my knowledge, hasn’t gotten covid. One guy (maybe 68 years old) who had other health issues was very sick and went to the hospital for a few days. He was awake the whole time and just felt like shit. He never thought he was close to death. He’s fine now. Everyone else i know of that had it—maybe 30-40 people, basically felt like they had a cold and not a very severe one at that. One or two days on Zpack and hydroxychloroquine and they were back to normal.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Yet the everytime someone gets COVID after being vaccinated its the banner headline and breaking news.  Fucking media.

Today’s NYT briefing:

Bruce Sacerdote, an economics professor at Dartmouth College, noticed something last year about the Covid-19 television coverage that he was watching on CNN and PBS. It almost always seemed negative, regardless of what was he seeing in the data or hearing from scientists he knew.

When Covid cases were rising in the U.S., the news coverage emphasized the increase. When cases were falling, the coverage instead focused on those places where cases were rising. And when vaccine research began showing positive results, the coverage downplayed it, as far as Sacerdote could tell.

But he was not sure whether his perception was correct. To check, he began working with two other researchers, building a database of Covid coverage from every major network, CNN, Fox News, Politico, The New York Times and hundreds of other sources, in the U.S. and overseas. The researchers then analyzed it with a social-science technique that classifies language as positive, neutral or negative.

The results showed that Sacerdote’s instinct had been right — and not just because the pandemic has been mostly a grim story.

The U.S. media is an outlier

The coverage by U.S. publications with a national audience has been much more negative than coverage by any other source that the researchers analyzed, including scientific journals, major international publications and regional U.S. media. “The most well-read U.S. media are outliers in terms of their negativity,” Molly Cook, a co-author of the study, told me.

About 87 percent of Covid coverage in national U.S. media last year was negative. The share was 51 percent in international media, 53 percent in U.S. regional media and 64 percent in scientific journals.

Notably, the coverage was negative in both U.S. media outlets with liberal audiences (like MSNBC) and those with conservative audiences (like Fox News).

24-MORNING-VIRUSNEWS-articleLarge.png
By The New York Times | Sources: Bruce Sacerdote, Ranjan Sehgal and Molly Cook

Sacerdote is careful to emphasize that he does not think journalists usually report falsehoods. The issue is which facts they emphasize. Still, the new study — which the National Bureau of Economic Research has published as a working paper, titled, “Why is all Covid-19 news bad news?” — calls for some self-reflection from those of us in the media.

If we’re constantly telling a negative story, we are not giving our audience the most accurate portrait of reality. We are shading it. We are doing a good job telling you why Covid cases are rising in some places and how the vaccines are imperfect — but not such a good job explaining why cases are falling elsewhere or how the vaccines save lives. Perhaps most important, we are not being clear about which Covid developments are truly alarming.

As Ranjan Sehgal, another co-author, told me, “The media is painting a picture that is a little bit different from what the scientists are saying.”

Why the bad-news bias?

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

When the researchers examined which stories were the most read or the most shared on Facebook, they tended to be the most negative stories. To put it another way, the stories that people choose to read skew even more negative than the stories that media organizations choose to publish. “Human beings, particularly consumers of major media, like negativity in their stories,” Sacerdote said. “We think the major media are responding to consumer demand.”

That idea is consistent with the patterns in the data, Sacerdote added: It makes sense that national publications have better instincts about reaching a large audience than, say, science journals. And overseas, some of the most influential English-language media organizations — like the BBC — have long received government funding, potentially making them less focused on consumer demand.

All of that sounds plausible to me, but I don’t think it is the full explanation. I have worked in media for nearly three decades, and I think you might be surprised by how little time journalists spend talking about audience size. We care about it, obviously, but most journalists I know care much more about other factors, like doing work that has an impact.

In the modern era of journalism — dating roughly to the Vietnam War and Watergate — we tend to equate impact with asking tough questions and exposing problems. There are some good reasons for that. We are inundated by politicians, business executives, movie stars and others trying to portray themselves in the best light. Our job is to cut through the self-promotion and find the truth. If we don’t tell you the bad news, you may never hear it.

Sometimes, though, our healthy skepticism can turn into reflexive cynicism, and we end up telling something less than the complete story. I am grateful to Sacerdote, Cook and Sehgal for doing to us journalists what we normally do to others — holding up a mirror to our work and giving us a chance to do better

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Figure description from article Heme linked...black line is predicted. Black dots are actual. 

Figure 1. Early Results of SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination.

Panel A shows the percentage of persons with new SARS-CoV-2 infection among 23,234 employees of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) who were eligible to receive SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, stratified according to vaccination status from December 15, 2020, through January 28, 2021. Vaccination status was determined at the time of the first SARS-CoV-2–positive test on or after December 15; if no infection was detected between December 15 and January 28, the vaccination status on January 28 was used. Nonvaccinated persons were those for whom there was no record of vaccine received at UTSW, partially vaccinated persons were those who had received one dose or who had received the second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine less than 7 days before the index date or the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine less than 14 days before the index date, and fully vaccinated persons were those who had received the second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine at least 7 days before the index date or the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine at least 14 days before the index date. 𝙸 bars denote 95% confidence intervals.

Panel B shows that the number of positive tests was projected to increase without vaccination (black line). The shaded area denotes the 95% confidence interval. The actual number of positive tests (black dots) decreased from January 9 (blue line) onward (25 days after the initiation of employee vaccinations).

Was hoping that was what it meant.  Thanks

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

This sums up our media in the US perfectly.

"Sacerdote is careful to emphasize that he does not think journalists usually report falsehoods. The issue is which facts they emphasize".

To be fair, this sums up their audience just as perfectly:

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

When the researchers examined which stories were the most read or the most shared on Facebook, they tended to be the most negative stories. To put it another way, the stories that people choose to read skew even more negative than the stories that media organizations choose to publish. “Human beings, particularly consumers of major media, like negativity in their stories,” Sacerdote said. “We think the major media are responding to consumer demand.”

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

You know 30-40 people that were prescribed HCQ for covid treatment?

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Today’s NYT briefing:

Bruce Sacerdote, an economics professor at Dartmouth College, noticed something last year about the Covid-19 television coverage that he was watching on CNN and PBS. It almost always seemed negative, regardless of what was he seeing in the data or hearing from scientists he knew.

When Covid cases were rising in the U.S., the news coverage emphasized the increase. When cases were falling, the coverage instead focused on those places where cases were rising. And when vaccine research began showing positive results, the coverage downplayed it, as far as Sacerdote could tell.

But he was not sure whether his perception was correct. To check, he began working with two other researchers, building a database of Covid coverage from every major network, CNN, Fox News, Politico, The New York Times and hundreds of other sources, in the U.S. and overseas. The researchers then analyzed it with a social-science technique that classifies language as positive, neutral or negative.

The results showed that Sacerdote’s instinct had been right — and not just because the pandemic has been mostly a grim story.

The U.S. media is an outlier

The coverage by U.S. publications with a national audience has been much more negative than coverage by any other source that the researchers analyzed, including scientific journals, major international publications and regional U.S. media. “The most well-read U.S. media are outliers in terms of their negativity,” Molly Cook, a co-author of the study, told me.

About 87 percent of Covid coverage in national U.S. media last year was negative. The share was 51 percent in international media, 53 percent in U.S. regional media and 64 percent in scientific journals.

Notably, the coverage was negative in both U.S. media outlets with liberal audiences (like MSNBC) and those with conservative audiences (like Fox News).

24-MORNING-VIRUSNEWS-articleLarge.png
By The New York Times | Sources: Bruce Sacerdote, Ranjan Sehgal and Molly Cook

Sacerdote is careful to emphasize that he does not think journalists usually report falsehoods. The issue is which facts they emphasize. Still, the new study — which the National Bureau of Economic Research has published as a working paper, titled, “Why is all Covid-19 news bad news?” — calls for some self-reflection from those of us in the media.

If we’re constantly telling a negative story, we are not giving our audience the most accurate portrait of reality. We are shading it. We are doing a good job telling you why Covid cases are rising in some places and how the vaccines are imperfect — but not such a good job explaining why cases are falling elsewhere or how the vaccines save lives. Perhaps most important, we are not being clear about which Covid developments are truly alarming.

As Ranjan Sehgal, another co-author, told me, “The media is painting a picture that is a little bit different from what the scientists are saying.”

Why the bad-news bias?

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

That idea is consistent with the patterns in the data, Sacerdote added: It makes sense that national publications have better instincts about reaching a large audience than, say, science journals. And overseas, some of the most influential English-language media organizations — like the BBC — have long received government funding, potentially making them less focused on consumer demand.

All of that sounds plausible to me, but I don’t think it is the full explanation. I have worked in media for nearly three decades, and I think you might be surprised by how little time journalists spend talking about audience size. We care about it, obviously, but most journalists I know care much more about other factors, like doing work that has an impact.

In the modern era of journalism — dating roughly to the Vietnam War and Watergate — we tend to equate impact with asking tough questions and exposing problems. There are some good reasons for that. We are inundated by politicians, business executives, movie stars and others trying to portray themselves in the best light. Our job is to cut through the self-promotion and find the truth. If we don’t tell you the bad news, you may never hear it.

Sometimes, though, our healthy skepticism can turn into reflexive cynicism, and we end up telling something less than the complete story. I am grateful to Sacerdote, Cook and Sehgal for doing to us journalists what we normally do to others — holding up a mirror to our work and giving us a chance to do better

good stuff but my comment would be "well duh!"

To be fair, this sums up their audience just as perfectly:

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

Of course they are. At the end of the day, all media orgs are competition for a finite pool of ad dollars acquired via eyeballs. The best way to get people to read/watch/listen is tell them what they want to hear. I’ve always maintained much of the media has a sensationalist slant as opposed to a political one. Propaganda machines like FOX News or OAN are the exception, not the rule.

Clearly no one is surprised that the "media" stopped being a disseminator and reporter of news to a business that sells adds but when your advertising has a detrimental effect on the public health then I think that's something that should or could be addressed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HouTex said:

One guy (maybe 68 years old) who had other health issues was very sick and went to the hospital for a few days. He was awake the whole time and just felt like shit. He never thought he was close to death. He’s fine now. 

If I'm 68 with health issues and have to go to the hospital with a pandemic virus, I'm worried I'm close to death. Or at least I'm worried about going to the ICU/ventilator, which then death is next.

Of course I'm 50 and have spent less than 5 hours in a hospital as a patient since I was born. This includes 4 hours getting knee surgery. I find any hospital stay to be serious.

You know 30-40 people that were prescribed HCQ for covid treatment?

I didn’t mean to emphasize that particular drug. I know some people early on who were given HCQ. Recently i have not paid that close attention when they told me the name of the drugs except i clearly recall zpak. The more recent treatments maybe were the drug that begins with an R(?). The main point of my post was to show anecdotal experience with many friends and people I know. They got it, received treatment, and were fine in a couple of days. Some barely had any symptoms at all.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Of course they are. At the end of the day, all media orgs are competition for a finite pool of ad dollars acquired via eyeballs. The best way to get people to read/watch/listen is tell them what they want to hear. I’ve always maintained much of the media has a sensationalist slant as opposed to a political one. Propaganda machines like FOX News or OAN are the exception, not the rule.

People like roller coasters and horror movies.   No one wants to ride the carousel.

I took y'all's advice and quit listening to CNN and ABC News for pandemic/Covid-19 news.  It's all paranoia just like you said. 

So I decided to get my information straight from the source---local and state health officials, NIH, CDC, Fauci, et. al.  But one guy from that group once said something incorrect about masks 13 months ago so I had to dismiss all the credible information from tens of thousands of experts gleaned over decades of public health and viral infection study.  

So the experts have a political agenda.  The media is driven by profit.  You enlightened cats wanna tell me where to go for the last mile of Covid-19 information?  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Of course they are. At the end of the day, all media orgs are competition for a finite pool of ad dollars acquired via eyeballs. The best way to get people to read/watch/listen is tell them what they want to hear. I’ve always maintained much of the media has a sensationalist slant as opposed to a political one. Propaganda machines like FOX News MSNBC or OAN CNN are the exception, not the rule.

fify

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You enlightened cats wanna tell me where to go for the last mile of Covid-19 information?

Surly should be your only source for news.

(Disclaimer: I am not paid by Surly or any of it's subsidiaries. Any payments of threefiddy made to me are clearly a coincidence. The views of this poster do not represent Surly or any Shaved Iced Fraud Companies)

• Hook 'Em 1

csb/ Was listening to Gen. Murray (Army Futures Command) speak with some UT students 2-3 years back.  And somebody asked him about fake news/media bias/etc.  And he said, FWIW, that when he's traveling or just away from secure comms and something happens somewhere in the world (referring back when he was running 3rd ID and then Deputy Chief of Staff of the Army)...until he can get in back in the comms loop, he turns on (television or phone app) either CNN or BBC to keep up with what's happening.  He added that all cable news is garbage after primetime starts, but nobody outside the Pentagon delivers better, faster facts on a developing situation better than BBC or CNN and that most senior command feel the same way.  They keep up with what's going on with a situation on those two channels until they can get juiced back into the real information funnels.

CNN after 7:00p is just Lemon and Cuomo high-fiving each other over dumb shit and they seem lost without the target of their hate.  I try to be balanced and give MSNBC and FOX both a try but their coverage of Covid-19 is just a fucking unmitigated disaster.  

But we're living in a time where people don't get their Covid-19 information from people who've been preparing for this pandemic like it was their Super Bowl, World Cup, Kelly Kapowski/Jesse Spano threesome all rolled up into one......instead they look to the corpse of JFK, Jr. for answers on vaccines.  The Black Box from his flight called and his advice is this..........PULL UP! 

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

csb/ Was listening to Gen. Murray (Army Futures Command) speak with some UT students 2-3 years back.  And somebody asked him about fake news/media bias/etc.  And he said, FWIW, that when he's traveling or just away from secure comms and something happens somewhere in the world (referring back when he was running 3rd ID and then Deputy Chief of Staff of the Army)...until he can get in back in the comms loop, he turns on (television or phone app) either CNN or BBC to keep up with what's happening.  He added that all cable news is garbage after primetime starts, but nobody outside the Pentagon delivers better, faster facts on a developing situation better than BBC or CNN and that most senior command feel the same way.  They keep up with what's going on with a situation on those two channels until they can get juiced back into the real information funnels.

CNN after 7:00p is just Lemon and Cuomo high-fiving each other over dumb shit and they seem lost without the target of their hate.  I try to be balanced and give MSNBC and FOX both a try but their coverage of Covid-19 is just a fucking unmitigated disaster.  

But we're living in a time where people don't get their Covid-19 information from people who've been preparing for this pandemic like it was their Super Bowl, World Cup, Kelly Kapowski/Jesse Spano threesome all rolled up into one......instead they look to the corpse of JFK, Jr. for answers on vaccines.  The Black Box from his flight called and his advice is this..........PULL UP! 

I’ve said it before in various threads:  cable “news” in the morning is shitty opinions, midday is better, and prime time is utter shit flinging from talking heads. 

I haven’t watched any of them at any time for years, but the most noticeable editorializing that was done on midday broadcasting was on what they covered and how much airtime they gave to a topic, vs what they did not. 

• Like 1

If you want timely news then use twitter which is basically a crowd sourced news/information dump.   Follow a good sample of different people, outlets, etc.   And then follow who they follow.  Often I see news or events occur 10-20 mins before it hits any majors.   You get real time data from the spot in most cases.   You do have to wade through a lot of garbage

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well then, who is that Sean Hanity dude sucking off now?

Dude, if I had a dollar for every time I put my junk through a glory hole and told the guy on the other side he was about to swallow JFK, Jr.----well, I dunno how much I'd have but I probably wouldn't have to be working the Bucc-ees glory hole circuit anymore...I tell you that much sir.

I love the anti-Covid vaccine crowd.  "Jenny McCarthy's a fucking liberal idiot, she don't know shit about vaccines.  They don't cause autism.  Now then, what does a dead man from 20 years ago have to say on the topic so I can plot my lifeplan accordingly?"  

Real reason I'm worried about Qanon dipshits right now is because they've been so fucking quiet for several weeks now.  Only time you worry about a stupid person is when they quit espousing.  

Edited by Lobo

43 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

All cable news is shitty 24/7. It's all brain rot.

One way to tell is by the commercials.  If you watch 10 minutes and the commercials feel like scammy, infomercial crap that only the dumbest would fall for, well... 

Shit like reverse mortgages, only-available-through-this-special-offer miracle products, and off-brand insurers should tell you who they think is watching.

• Haha 1

One interesting potential side effect I’ve heard about through my wife and her Facebook groups is younger women’s cycles getting jacked up after getting vaccinated. Only anecdotal of course, but she says it’s shared pretty commonly in these groups that things can get out of whack. 

I’m curious if anyone else has heard or seen similar. Particularly people in medical field.