COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Novavax was slower than Pfizer and Moderna to get their US-based investigational sites up and running (lots of earlier enrollees in their trials in the UK).  There is question about whether FDA would review solely their UK data for the EUA, and not the US/Mexico data.  Not sure if that's going to happen or not.  Novavax was also not quite as up to speed on the manufacturing end, either.  Every vaccine was manufactured at risk before EUAs were granted, but sounds like Novavax had some trouble getting regulatory approval for the North Carolina facility they wanted to use.

Some are believing this is because the US government wanted Moderna and Pfizer out front (Moderna partnered with NIH and took Warp Speed cash; Pfizer didn't but has huge lobbying pull).

From reading about the Novavax vaccine, it may provide the best combo of safety and efficacy, including all the variants.  Once production gets rolling, this may end up being the booster of choice for me.  But I need to see more.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

Novavax was slower than Pfizer and Moderna to get their US-based investigational sites up and running (lots of earlier enrollees in their trials in the UK).  There is question about whether FDA would review solely their UK data for the EUA, and not the US/Mexico data.  Not sure if that's going to happen or not.  Novavax was also not quite as up to speed on the manufacturing end, either.  Every vaccine was manufactured at risk before EUAs were granted, but sounds like Novavax had some trouble getting regulatory approval for the North Carolina facility they wanted to use.
Some are believing this is because the US government wanted Moderna and Pfizer out front (Moderna partnered with NIH and took Warp Speed cash; Pfizer didn't but has huge lobbying pull).
From reading about the Novavax vaccine, it may provide the best combo of safety and efficacy, including all the variants.  Once production gets rolling, this may end up being the booster of choice for me.  But I need to see more.

Novavax was also part of warp speed - took $1.6b in funding if I remember corrrectly...

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL.  I'll be honest that the vector vaccines creep me out.  But y'all assholes should just get your shots. 

I'm sure the shit the military put in me throughout my career is much worse but what the hell LOL

Edited by WillUSAF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, WillUSAF said:

I'm sure the shit the military put in me throughout my career is much worse but what the hell LOL

Oh yeah.  Especially if you were in the muck, they shot you up with all sorts of shit that makes the COVAX looks like childs play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Oh yeah.  Especially if you were in the muck, they shot you up with all sorts of shit that makes the COVAX looks like childs play. 

I deployed to Africa a few times. Ive been to some real shitty (literally sometimes) fucking places.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My Dad noted that when he was in the Aleutian Islands 1942-43, some of the fresh troops that were brought in got deathly sick from the tropical vaccinations they were hastily given before deployment. Some even died because of a few bad batches of the vax.

They were given tropical vaccines as a subterfuge to “fool” the Jap spies on the West coast.  🙄

11 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

11 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

I deployed to Africa a few times. Ive been to some real shitty (literally sometimes) fucking places.

Army here.  We may already be immune with all the shit the military put in us.... 😀

Edited by TexasGrunt
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My Dad noted that when he was in the Aleutian Islands 1942-43, some of the fresh troops that were brought in got deathly sick from the tropical vaccinations they were hastily given before deployment. Some even died because of a few bad batches of the vax.

They were given tropical vaccines as a subterfuge to “fool” the Jap spies on the West coast.  🙄

Could they not have done a placebo shot? Damn talk about going all the way on a ruse.