• Franklin
    • Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

I said elsewhere that the dumbest coaching decision I've seen this year was made by Billy Napier.  But on the plus side, I have read that he's extremely driven, eats and sleeps ball, is known as an outstanding recruiter, and - get this - beat Matt Campbell's best team.  It will be interesting to watch the Sun Belt championship against the Coastal Carolina guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Nebraska is in the easiest division in the B1G with a tradition of championships and Heisman trophies. They have something to sell. ISU has none of that. They just have Matt Campbell. 

Today's recruits weren't alive the last time Nebraska was relevant. They're like Texas, minus the recruiting hotbed. Yet they still have the same expectations.

I'll admit it's a step up from ISU, but it's not an attractive job.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Absolutely will not happen. I would be in open revolt, and I know plenty of others who would be also.

FUCK GARY KUBIAK!

It seems like you know some of these guys better than most. Which guys do you think work their ass off and demand excellence from people around them? I'm tired of getting guys simply because they had a good year or were great with Xs and Os.

6 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Today's recruits weren't alive the last time Nebraska was relevant. They're like Texas, minus the recruiting hotbed. Yet they still have the same expectations.

I'll admit it's a step up from ISU, but it's not an attractive job.

We aren’t comparing Nebraska to Ohio State or Alabama. We’re comparing them to Iowa State, and there is no comparison. If Nebraska were winning at the same clip that ISU is winning at, NU would become a recruiting power again, simply because if their history. ISU will never be in the same conversation. Not until they win multiple national championships and have multiple Heisman winners. Nebraska is a tier two job. It will always attract up-and-coming coaches. It is a final destination school for the right coach. ISU will always be a springboard.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I said elsewhere that the dumbest coaching decision I've seen this year was made by Billy Napier.  But on the plus side, I have read that he's extremely driven, eats and sleeps ball, is known as an outstanding recruiter, and - get this - beat Matt Campbell's best team.  It will be interesting to watch the Sun Belt championship against the Coastal Carolina guy.

Curb stomped them, frankly.

I am looking at things like this:
Tier 1 - The Job Is Yours If You Change Your Mind & We Haven't Filled It
Urban Meyer - dude is a flake. Crazier shit has happened, but folks I trust think this one is gone. Remember that no one knew shit at any level below the BOR, Hartsell, a reluctant CDC, and a very few BMDs. Now everyone says it's done? I'll go with that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense with only the current data set.
Tier 2 - Sure, Why Not, But I Don't Buy It
Dan Mullen - the premise that UF is a better spot to be in than UT for head coach is debatable. The path to the CFP is clearer here. We could pay him more if he wanted the gig. He'd need to hire Muschamp or someone better than what he has at DC. I'm guessing this is mostly just agent salary-pumping but it's not unthinkable as some seem to believe.
Tier 3 - Guys I'd Take & Rationalize My Way Into Getting Excited Aboout
Matt Campbell - I said this elsewhere, but the bullshit about him not having Texas ties is just that. Coaching fucking travels. See coaches Rhule and Saban for having no ties and magically overcoming this insurmountable problem. It's simply not a legitimate whine. The premise that he wouldn't leave ISU for Texas is also fucking dumb. Get over your self-loathing and get over the ISU guys fantasizing about his love of the midwest. Throw numbers and control at this guy and let's find out what is real.
Billy Napier - Sure, why not. I like the pedigree. He turned down being interested in the South Carolina job because he'll be first in line for the Auburn job whenever they've decided that Gus Malzahn can go get fucked. He'd be all over the Texas gig. He can coach. He can recruit. He'd probably also bring in a new group of Not Ready for Prime Time Players regarding staff and admin. Maybe he learned enough under Saban to not do that, but I doubt it.
Tier 4 - Guys I'd Like Texas to Interview But They Won't
Jeff Traylor - I agree with everything Gerry has written and pushed about this guy. I also know it ain't happening. 
Brent Venables - We're simply too patrician to consider a coordinator in their prime.
Bob Stoops - Too fucking complicated for both sides. This guy has a fundamental belief that he'll die on the sidelines like his dad if he ever goes back to really giving a fuck on the sidelines.
Mike Gundy - Puke on this one all you like, but he's a damned good coach and knows the conference and the region. What could Matt Campbell do at Texas that this guy couldn't?
Tier 5 - Fantasies For Imbeciles
Chris Peterson - stop bringing him up. Fuck.
Mack Brown - Go fuck yourself for mentioning him.
Kyle Shanahan - Dude has no interest in recruiting and he's not exactly a beaming alum when it comes to his views on UT. 
Tier 6 - Open Forehead, Insert Bullet
Gary Kubiag - I've enumerated all of the ways in which I despise this fucking concept. Fuck IT for floating him and fuck the admin for talking to him in the first place. 
Steve Sarkisian - What the fuck? This is a guy that CDC apparently likes. Here's a scenario in which the BMDs would be helpful in stepping in and saying "uh, no, not happening."
James Franklin - CDC's boy. Go fuck yourself. 
Sonny Dykes - How lost is Chris Del Conte right now? This name is being floated as a candidate from Belmont, based on how I'm seeing it reported. Hot Christ.
Joe Brady - He badly failed his first big HC interview with a key question that he couldn't answer being "What would your staff look like?" Sound familiar? No thanks anytime soon, young'un.
Tier 7 - Roll Out the Lukewarm Corpse of Lee Corso Over This Guy
Tom Herman - pack your bags, you fucking fuck.
I'm sure I missed some guys that will be mentioned. Very little of this post is anything but my opinion.

Gerry keeps saying urban will coach again. If he does and it’s not Texas, any idea why? Just didn’t like Texas or what? Seems like it wasn’t Texas who messed this up. Just trying to wrap me head around why he wouldn’t wanna coach here. Not because I’m a fan and why wouldn’t anyone wanna coach here lulz. But Texas has all the resources.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Back to back national title games with Sam Houston State.

Fritz is 60 and has never done anything anywhere worth mentioning. I don't think they'd even put his resume in the "for consideration" stack. 

4 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Beat OU more consistently. 

And that's fair.

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Gerry keeps saying urban will coach again. If he does and it’s not Texas, any idea why? Just didn’t like Texas or what? Seems like it wasn’t Texas who messed this up. Just trying to wrap me head around why he wouldn’t wanna coach here. Not because I’m a fan and why wouldn’t anyone wanna coach here lulz. But Texas has all the resources.

There are those who believe that the USC gig is more attractive. Basically, you get whoever you'd want in California, Las Vegas, and Arizona with almost no effort if you're a winner. Shit, Helton is going to have a top 10 class again this year, at least the last time I looked. Surest path to the playoff for any power, too. 

My view is that the USC stuff partly self-loathing from the IT guys. That school has its own set of problems, as does that program. Can they pay what they'd need to pay? Will they? It's an admin going away from significant athletic support. They've alienated any number of big money backers to prove it. It's not like that job is remotely out of the spotlight. So what makes that so much more attractive than somewhere like Texas? I'm not buying it. 

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He needs a binder 

13 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

We aren’t comparing Nebraska to Ohio State or Alabama. We’re comparing them to Iowa State, and there is no comparison. If Nebraska were winning at the same clip that ISU is winning at, NU would become a recruiting power again, simply because if their history. ISU will never be in the same conversation. Not until they win multiple national championships and have multiple Heisman winners. Nebraska is a tier two job. It will always attract up-and-coming coaches. It is a final destination school for the right coach. ISU will always be a springboard.  

Until someone stays there.  Pretty much every coach that's used ISU as a spring board has gone on to publicly regret leaving Ames (except for Chizik).  It doesn't mean it won't stop Campbell, but there's no reason we can't be KSU or Iowa.  Hayden Fry, Kirk Ferentz, and Bill Snyder all did pretty well for themselves.  If Campbell stays in Ames, he'll keep winning at a similar clip to what he's done thus far:  bowl game floor, and the occasional conference title run when the league is down.  That's a liftetime appointment to this job, and more money than he'd ever spend when it's all said and done.

On the flip side, there's no reason Nebraska can't become us given enough time.  Minnesota was once a power house, and they are a total afterthought today.  That history is doing them no favors.  Keep making bad hires, and you'll keep sucking.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Dennis Dodd was using the same dated data that has already been posted on this board. These old, hackey journalists like Dodd and Bohls don't know a fucking thing. If Texas is serious about Campbell, we will hear about it. If he turns down an interview, we will hear about it. 

This is some of the most absurd shit I've ever witnessed on a board. Matt Campbell was interested last year. Now he's not and will only take a couple of choice jobs because Iowa State is fucking home? Right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

This seems like BS. Didn't @closetojumping say we had a deal lined up with Campbell last year if Herman got canned? And he'd be waiting forever if ND and OSU are the only jobs he wants. I bet he'd take Michigan in a heartbeat

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

3000.jpeg

As soon as I hit send on that post I started thinking through it, and Leach and Orgeron were the only guys I could come up with that might rival Gundy. And Orgeron is quirky enough to maybe fit in Austin. Lots of displaced coonasses here.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This seems like BS. Didn't @closetojumping say we had a deal lined up with Campbell last year if Herman got canned? And he'd be waiting forever if ND and OSU are the only jobs he wants. I bet he'd take Michigan in a heartbeat

"Though multiple reports state Matt Campbell would be interested, this one dude we talk to says he's not."

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Until someone stays there.  Pretty much every coach that's used ISU as a spring board has gone on to publicly regret leaving Ames (except for Chizik).  It doesn't mean it won't stop Campbell, but there's no reason we can't be KSU or Iowa.  Hayden Fry, Kirk Ferentz, and Bill Snyder all did pretty well for themselves.  If Campbell stays in Ames, he'll keep winning at a similar clip to what he's done thus far:  bowl game floor, and the occasional conference title run when the league is down.  That's a liftetime appointment to this job, and more money than he'd ever spend when it's all said and done.

On the flip side, there's no reason Nebraska can't become us given enough time.  Minnesota was once a power house, and they are a total afterthought today.  That history is doing them no favors.  Keep making bad hires, and you'll keep sucking.

Campbell could absolutely become y’all’s Bill Snyder. 

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Gundy might also be the worst cultural fit in the entirety of D1 CFB for Austin Texas.

Um, based on your CR criteria, Urban would be worse.  There was a twitter brouhaha just a few months ago.

Edited by clapclapclap
I won't sidetrack by linking it here, you know how to Google

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fritz is 60 and has never done anything anywhere worth mentioning. I don't think they'd even put his resume in the "for consideration" stack. 

And that's fair.

There are those who believe that the USC gig is more attractive. Basically, you get whoever you'd want in California, Las Vegas, and Arizona with almost no effort if you're a winner. Shit, Helton is going to have a top 10 class again this year, at least the last time I looked. Surest path to the playoff for any power, too. 

My view is that the USC stuff partly self-loathing from the IT guys. That school has its own set of problems, as does that program. Can they pay what they'd need to pay? Will they? It's an admin going away from significant athletic support. They've alienated any number of big money backers to prove it. It's not like that job is remotely out of the spotlight. So what makes that so much more attractive than somewhere like Texas? I'm not buying it. 

Fritz took over a Central Mizzou team that was 4-7 and 4-7 the previous 2 seasons and lead them to the playoffs twice and back to back 10 win seasons

then

He took over a Sam Houston State program that went 5-6 and 4-7 the previous two seasons and lead them to back to back fcs championship appearances in 2 seasons and a 40-15 record there

then

he literally STARTS up the Georgia Southern program and goes 17-7 in two years (8 and 9 wins seasons)

then

He goes to Tulane and after 2 seasons has 3 back to back to back (this year likely) winning seasons. AT TULANE. Something that has not been done in 70 YEARS at Tulane

dude is an absolute stud and may be the most underrated coach in FBS

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Gundy might also be the worst cultural fit in the entirety of D1 CFB for Austin Texas.

Based on.......? His politics? His mullet? A lot of coaches today are conservative. Urban is as far away from “woke” as it gets and we just tried to money whip him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Based on.......? His politics? His mullet? A lot of coaches today are conservative. Urban is as far away from “woke” as it gets and we just tried to money whip him. 

Most coaches are savvy enough not to wear their politics on the clothing they walk around in the public eye with. Don't be stupid and try to pick a fight you're going to lose. He's an awful fit for a city like Austin.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Would also give us 3 coaches that were head coaches at SHSU at some point. (Schaefer and Pierce) 

the trifecta.  don't stop there.  implement a bridge program for borderline applicants that are rejected and go to SHSU for a year to demonstrate their worth.  what starts at SHSU can come to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Beat OU

Someone beat you to it on the prior page, but fair point. 

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

"Though multiple reports state Matt Campbell would be interested, this one dude we talk to says he's not."

I’m trending towards saying “fuck it, I’m Matt Campbell or bust” just so I can perpetually mock every poster that doesn’t believe that Matt Campbell would be interested in Texas. hahahaha. holy shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3