Surly Football Podcast

MoJames

Since most of us agree that the Horn is garbage and there is a large subset of us that would listen to a surly podcast if it was resumed, @immamac suggested we start a thread to get some momentum.

Honestly if I could get 1 or 2 people to show up consistently we could reboot the podcast. With work obligations it got tough for Blacklab and I to do it. 

If there are any takers or a schedule that we can get rotating in some people a Surly podcast is easily doable. We did almost 10 episodes before and I've been itching to reboot it, but really couldn't find the right time to start again. 2021 seems like a good time to start though with a new coach and with basketball season going well.

My initial, although rookie, effort

Roster imo

Moderators - Blacklab or immamac

Rotating Research/Info guys - ctj, machinator, texifornia, katfid (only white guys)

Humor - thujone, RGBIII, Mitch

Neg Nancies - futureman and Satyanash

We could close the episodes with a remember when by Armybrat or what to drink by HenryJames

What am I missing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

for the record, I object to being lumped in with futureman.

How do you think I feel?

But I agree that Derka has to make an appearance at somepoint. Maybe a segment on which 90s runnin Horn was the best beach volleyball player.

I think the only way this happens appropriately is getting some of those who are in the know ( @closetojumping, @texifornia, @Machinator ) or someone I'm missing. I don't know if they would be open to it as it might put their identity out a bit and subsequently limit their ability to obtain information.

Would be pretty funny to put some sort of disguise on their voice. I'd giggle listening to ctj in a higher pitched voice.

39 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

We talking cars?@Anastasis@TexasEd

Love to.  My knowledge esoteric in some ways.  Everything I know I have direct experience about my car.  I find a lot of joy in hearing people tell their stories about cars.  That might be part of my contribution is getting other people to tell me stories about cars.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I think the only way this happens appropriately is getting some of those who are in the know ( @closetojumping, @texifornia, @Machinator ) or someone I'm missing. I don't know if they would be open to it as it might put their identity out a bit and subsequently limit their ability to obtain information.

Would be pretty funny to put some sort of disguise on their voice. I'd giggle listening to ctj in a higher pitched voice.

We could always have a segment where we can tell people info given to us by the guys on the board without using them, kinda like the Jesus Shuttlesworth deal IT does. Plausible deniability

37 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Throw this up on YouTube. Don't expect monetization if you are going all in and not kid friendly but maybe you can get sponsored. 

The point of this would be for Surly Horns entertainment. I'm not interested in making a whole bunch of money off the site if we have to change the way we are at all. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

The point of this would be for Surly Horns entertainment. I'm not interested in making a whole bunch of money off the site if we have to change the way we are at all. 

If it does make money I'll take it. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

I couldn’t filter myself even if I tried, monetization is fine down the road if we want to throw it on Spotify or apple but not at the expense of that good shit content we are looking for, fuck that 

Waiting for the next one to drop in my overcast.fm feed.

I think you just let the thing grow organically.  See if someone will send you some theme music.  Roundtable for the bulk of the show/non-surly guest if you can find a relevant one/then maybe a surly guest for a couple of minutes at the end to talk about something surly, etc. End with some soundcloudy guest music by a surly person.  We're Austin based.  Someone can play the blues better than Marc Maron.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

It would be hard to get much higher than my natural falsetto, sir. 

I’m in on some level. More about bullshitting and telling Longhorn netdom stories than passing along “inside” stuff since that shit is sporadic and often wrong, unless we’re talking recruiting. That also depends in different ways in terms of how Sark works with folks and who he brings along, including on the admin side. Also, I’d like to use it as a platform to air all of my petty grievances with various posters and such. I have a long list, and I’d like all of you to hear about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It would be hard to get much higher than my natural falsetto, sir. 

I’m in on some level. More about bullshitting and telling Longhorn netdom stories than passing along “inside” stuff since that shit is sporadic and often wrong, unless we’re talking recruiting. That also depends in different ways in terms of how Sark works with folks and who he brings along, including on the admin side. Also, I’d like to use it as a platform to air all of my petty grievances with various posters and such. I have a long list, and I’d like all of you to hear about it. 

Yeah this podcast won't be for the "scoop" that's really what the board is for, we can recap some of it. The Podcast is more to add freeform commentary and funny stories that tangentially apply to what happened that week. I haven't listen to the "Fire Tom Herman" guys or really any other longhorn podcast, and I'm sure ours will be nothing like any of the other ones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ya like I told @immamac I’m not gonna be diagnosing zone blitz schemes like the longhorn blitz but diagnosing the cop tackling baker mayfield, ranking my top 5 least favorite things about aggy, ranking coaches wives. Throw in some brisket, booze, music, movies and I think it can be different than the others out there that I listen to

• Hook 'Em 1

There was a barking carnival podcast for a couple of seasons with chilton and steven ross. I think that vibe woyld be perfect for surly podcast, without the constant giggling like 9yr old girls.

Example
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/barking-carnival-unplugged-the-culinary-edition-nsfw/id1087725144?i=1000449378704&l=es

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, tx ind said:

Needs to be a segment each podcast on past classics like April and Billy, Fitlump, Tx Tow, Water Nymph, etc.

is fitlump still a failed attention whore now that she's attention whore'd her way into a pretty good paying job?

6 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

There was a barking carnival podcast for a couple of seasons with chilton and steven ross. I think that vibe woyld be perfect for surly podcast, without the constant giggling like 9yr old girls.

Example
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/barking-carnival-unplugged-the-culinary-edition-nsfw/id1087725144?i=1000449378704&l=es

Giggling I could tolerate. Having it turnt up trying to hear but with the continuous hard laughter made my ears bleed. The Sean Connery bit is fucking exhausting as well. 

Other than that, they were a great podcast to listen to and was easily my favorite Longhorn podcast. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm down to clown. 

There definitely needs to be a ricktator remembrances section of the podcast during hoops season. You, me and Catdaddyhorn could speak fondly of Deginald Erskin and wax nostalgically on our time spent in the Turkish Prison. This segment would delight at least 3 people on the internet. We should be able to get a good 7 minutes out of it every podcast. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1