Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy

mdmost

I know California has the SC/UCLA tradition of both teams wearing their home jerseys, but it’s stupid as shit when high school teams do it, especially on a field featuring fewer lumens than spit from my iPhone when “Don’t Stop Believin’” is rockin DKR.

But yes, based on the video I just watched, there’s a lot to fix with young Murphy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I know California has the SC/UCLA tradition of both teams wearing their home jerseys, but it’s stupid as shit when high school teams do it, especially on a field featuring fewer lumens than spit from my iPhone when “Don’t Stop Believin’” is rockin DKR.

But yes, based on the video I just watched, there’s a lot to fix with young Murphy.

Horrible field, bad stadium lighting, hopeless technique across the board and terrible quarterback play. Plus, there’s that pesky thing we call , “actual game conditions” that reveal Murphy to be extremely raw. Aside from those meaningless underwear olympics highlight throws, I don’t see any indication that he is an option. He needs to get out of that environment and get actual coaching cause right now, he isn’t ready for 4A Texas HS football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Horrible field, bad stadium lighting, hopeless technique across the board and terrible quarterback play. 

Murphy aside, what did you expect? They don't care about high school football as much as Texas does so the facilities are a resounding "eh, that'll work" and they've been out of practice for a year in the country's strictest lockdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Horrible field, bad stadium lighting, hopeless technique across the board and terrible quarterback play. Plus, there’s that pesky thing we call , “actual game conditions” that reveal Murphy to be extremely raw. Aside from those meaningless underwear olympics highlight throws, I don’t see any indication that he is an option. He needs to get out of that environment and get actual coaching cause right now, he isn’t ready for 4A Texas HS football. 

Did you just cite his shitty field and stadium as the first two reasons why he sucks? 

Now tell us how you feel about Cade Klubnick. Try to keep your Boner under control. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Did you just cite his shitty field and stadium as the first two reasons why he sucks? 

Now tell us how you feel about Cade Klubnick. Try to keep your Boner under control. 

At this point, Cade Klubnick and Maalik Murphy might as well be playing different sports. 

Additionally, boner is not a proper name, so there is no reason to capitalize it.  

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

At this point, Cade Klubnick and Maalik Murphy might as well be playing different sports. 

Additionally, boner is not a proper name, so there is no reason to capitalize it.  

Well that's not the only reason to capitalize 'Boner.'

Boner Jams 03 GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 5

Maalik is all potential.  Comparing him to Klubnik or Ewers is worthless cause they won’t look the same.  The play is for 3-4 years from now.  

The earliest Maalik would be in a competition to start would be his RS Freshman year and (assuming he’s an EE) would have 2 springs and a full season under his belt with Sark.  

Also, if you’re not a fan of Maalik and what he looks like now, him being a project I’m sure is appealing to Arch Manning.  His freshman year both Casey and Card could be gone (would be Card’s Senior year).  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Maalik is all potential.  Comparing him to Klubnik or Ewers is worthless cause they won’t look the same.  The play is for 3-4 years from now.  

The earliest Maalik would be in a competition to start would be his RS Freshman year and (assuming he’s an EE) would have 2 springs and a full season under his belt with Sark.  

Also, if you’re not a fan of Maalik and what he looks like now, him being a project I’m sure is appealing to Arch Manning.  His freshman year both Casey and Card could be gone (would be Card’s Senior year).  

Unless COVID2 "the comeback" happens and they give everyone another year of eligibility

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Unless COVID2 "the comeback" happens and they give everyone another year of eligibility

Don’t think it’ll happen again. 

Still doesn’t change that scenario much though.  

21/22 - Card (RS FR) / Maalik (HS Sr) / Arch (HS Jr)

22/23 - Card (RS Covid2 FR) / Maalik (FR) / Arch (HS Sr)

23/24 - Card (RS SO) / Maalik (RS FR)/ Arch (FR)

24/25 Card (RS Jr / Maalik (RS So) / Arch (RS FR)

If Card is the guy, you’d think after 3 years of starting in Sarks O, he’s leaving.   Would leave a RS Sophomore Maalik and a RS Freshman Arch battling for the starting spot.  If not, Arch is probably transferring out and you’ve got a RS Jr Maalik as your starter in 25/26 with 4 years in the system.  If he’s not figured it out by then, you won’t. 

The good news about Maalik is he’s good with the process.  He picked Texas to be with Sark and grow, not to step in and play.  

10 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

With Sark coaching him, Maalik will hike a leg and fart in John David Booty, Matt Leinart, Cade McNown, J.T.Daniels, Rodney Peete, Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold's general direction. 

Are you going so far as to taunt those names a second time?

4 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Couldn't Card technically be considered a "true freshman" this year? Didn't everyone gain a year eligibility due to the rona season, or is that just for the seniors?

Yeah.   Doesn’t really matter how you look at it.  He still has 4 seasons to play. Technically you could treat it like he was an incoming freshman from HS and RS him again I think but that won’t happen.  I feel like this QB competition ends with one starting and the other transferring. 

19 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Yeah.   Doesn’t really matter how you look at it.  He still has 4 seasons to play. Technically you could treat it like he was an incoming freshman from HS and RS him again I think but that won’t happen.  I feel like this QB competition ends with one starting and the other transferring. 

Except it means he can redshirt this year if Casey wins and still have 4 seasons to play.

edit: nvm I see you said that now. I would hope Card stays if he loses but idk. Thompson would leave for sure.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I don't see it. Basically, if Thompson is named the starter we will keep both. But if Card is named the starter, Thompson will possibly leave. However, Thompson will get playing time here even if Card starts so I think it would be a bad decision on Thompson's part to leave this year. Next spring, would be more likely if it were to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I agree with your last sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Card would still be in line to start, likely in 2 years (only one extra year to wait assuming he wouldn't leave during this season). If the options are 1. wait a year and then start for Texas with Sark developing you, or 2. Find another school where you'll have to win the job from scratch, likely at a lower level and inferior QB coaching..option 1 seems like the better choice. And Sark can point to Mac Jones as someone who waited his turn and shined. BUT, that ends up being 3-4 years of waiting which is a long time, so impatience could understandably kick in.

If you're Casey, on the other hand, you're now behind a younger guy so the only way you start is injury. He's already been in the portal once and isn't a local kid. So it makes a lot more sense for him to transfer.

I don't think Maalik is the only QB we take in 2022. I think Malik is the project and we are going to use Sark's QB guruness to land one of the top transfers next offseason.

Ewers was the holy grail. After him, it is about just getting the best overall QB room for the next 4 years. Without Ewers, the best thing is transfer/top 2023 kid/Maalik.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I don't see it. Basically, if Thompson is named the starter we will keep both. But if Card is named the starter, Thompson will possibly leave. However, Thompson will get playing time here even if Card starts so I think it would be a bad decision on Thompson's part to leave this year. Next spring, would be more likely if it were to happen.

Did Sark say he's going to name a starter before the season? Even if he does he might give the other guy a chance in the first few games.

I'm personally going to keep classifying players in the same way we always have, and then if they decide to hang around to have an extra year of eligibility down the road as a 5th or 6th year guy, then just call them a super senior or something 

Man, his footwork is so inconsistent. Heavy on the front foot, heavy on the back foot, hell on a few of those releases his feet were parallel to the LOS as the ball was coming out. You would think someone who has been playing the position as long as he has and being on the camp circuit, he would pick up on some better mechanics.

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 8:20 AM, Machinator said:

One of the ESPN Sports Center anchors on the 11:00 show last night disparaged Whataburger during highlights of the Rangers game.  "He hits it over the Whataburger sign...overrated burger..."  It was either John Anderson or Michael Eaves.  MFers.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, Scholz said:

One of the ESPN Sports Center anchors on the 11:00 show last night disparaged Whataburger during highlights of the Rangers game.  "He hits it over the Whataburger sign...overrated burger..."  It was either John Anderson or Michael Eaves.  MFers.

When I saw this thread had been updated I promised myself I would not over react.

But those ESPN motherfuckers got me, man. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

Isn't it Chicago owned now? Only a matter of time before they candy it up.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1