Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Brakes

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work closely with a certain previously committed 5 star QB's father (hint: its Quinn Ewers, for those who haven't been following recruiting closely like I have) and chatted with him a bit this after

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

As did I. Could this be the first time we've lost a recruit to aggy based on educational opportunities?

Maybe he should speak to Tony Brackens.  Don't know his degree plan, but he is back on the ranch now.

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You know what's a fun conversation, relevant to the topic at hand, and definitely good for Texas if anyone feels like screenshotting it?

Shitting all over Caden Sterns! Especially when you compare him unfavorably to a white player in the process!

Hmm I think it would be more problematic if they were saying Caden Sterns could never be Blake Gideon.  What is actually happening here is more of a shitty black player being compared to a shitty white player. So like equality.  We just fixed the EOT conundrum. 

• Hook 'Em 2
2 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Hmm I think it would be more problematic if they were saying Caden Sterns could never be Blake Gideon.  What is actually happening here is more of a shitty black player being compared to a shitty white player. So like equality.  We just fixed the EOT conundrum. 

4F430957-B72C-4DA1-82F4-1F96ADE270A8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Can Texas pull off upsets to sign a top 5 class in 2022?

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns currently sit in the top 5 of the 2022 class rankings. While the start is terrific and the momentum is building for Steve Sarkisian and staff, there is plenty of work to do be done to sign a class that finishes in the top 5.

The Texas class has seven four-star commits currently, and arguably leads for several others including Devon Campbell, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks and Jamarion Miller. Texas is now trending favorably for Jacoby Mathews.

Then there are prospects such as Terrance Brooks, Denver Harris, and Niuafe Tuihalamaka that the Longhorns have big battles in front of them for their services, but are working from a good place.

The Longhorns will very likely continue to add the leaners to the class, and in time will win some 50-50 battles, but it’s how many additions working from behind that will determine just where the 2022 class finishes nationally.

With defensive line and offensive line the positions where Texas will have to come from behind to sign a complete class, the stakes are incredibly high.

Let’s say these would currently be minor upsets:
Chris Marshall, WR, Fort Bend Marshall
Texas is likely running second behind Texas A&M currently. With the Aggies having been in this recruitment longer, the Devon Achane angle, and some people close having strong relationships with Texas A&M, that makes this a climb for the Texas staff — but not one that is out of the question.

Kam Dewberry, OG/T, Atascocita
If Ohio State was 500 miles closer to home, the Buckeyes might be a lock. With that said, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are currently thought to be ahead of Texas — of the schools closer to home.

Earnest Greene, OG, St. John Bosco (CA)
The Longhorns will have to go into California and beat out Alabama, USC, Oregon, and just about everyone else for one of the nation's top guard prospects. We place this in the minor category because Texas has been receiving positive feedback.

D.J. Wesolak, DE/EDGE, Boonville (MO)
The Clemson offer made this even more of an uphill battle for the Longhorns. Notre Dame has a legit shot in this one too, meaning the Longhorns will have to overcome two CFB playoff teams from a season ago, and that’s if Alabama doesn’t jump in soon. With that said, Texas does have a shot here.

Derrick Brown, DE/EDGE, Texas High
This is in the minor upset category because Clayton Smith is at Oklahoma and the Sooners are working from a better spot right now. That could very well change with the Longhorns now having officially entered the race.

Zac Swanson, DT, Brophy College Prep (AZ)
This is a recruitment Texas can certainly win, but with the competition being USC and Oregon on a kid from Pac-12 country with plenty of ties out West, this would be a minor upset.

Jaray Bledsoe, DT, Bremond
Proximity to Texas A&M and the fact that Bremond has plenty of Texas A&M influence places this in the minor upset category. Then there is the natural pull of an Alabama offer, plus the fact that Oklahoma is the offer that excited the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder the most that adds to the uphill battle. Bo Davis is doing well here, however.

Harold Perkins, LB, Cy Park
IT places Perkins in minor upset category because the Longhorns were in this race prior to the coaching change and are back in it now. Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and having plenty of connections to the Pelican State make this an uphill battle. A battle Jeff Banks is all in on.

Major upsets:
Kevin Coleman, WR, St. Mary’s (MO)
Alabama has been considered the favorite for a while now for the prospect from the Show Me State. Only Steve Sarkisian being hired at Texas provides the Longhorns with a shot as they currently sit No. 2 in this race with Arizona State also under serious consideration.

TreVonte’ Citizen, RB, Lake Charles Prep (LA)
LSU wants a RB from inside state lines. Say no more, and especially if fellow Pelican State RB Le’veon Moss continues to desire to get out of state and away from home for college. Stan Drayton is a big fan of this kid, and has recruited him like an in-state prospect of late.

Neto Umeozulu, OT, Allen
Texas hasn't signed a player from Allen High since Mack Brown was leading the program. Alabama is there. Ohio State is there. Oklahoma and Texas A&M are there. Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks are in the fight.

Omari Abor, DE, Duncanville
The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder has a strong liking for Ohio State, and Oklahoma is the program closest to home with the best chance if the Buckeyes are too far. Texas has run third here for a while.

Ernest Cooper IV, DE, Arlington Martin
Stanford remains at the top for the 6-foot-4, 235-pounder with Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon working hard to pull the upset. Texas does have some Martin Mo right now, but Cooper will make an independent decision not based on emotion.

Khurtiss Perry, DT, Park Crossing (AL)
The 6-foot-3, 270-pound tackle likes Bo Davis, and is consistently in communication with the Longhorns. With that said, Alabama and Auburn covet the in-state star. The Texas staff is standing at the bottom of Mount Everest looking up with sun glaring in the eyes.

Bear Alexander, DT, Denton Ryan
The Georgia verbal remains in communication with Bo Davis and the Texas staff. And that is where IT will leave this recruitment until there is something more.

Anthony Lucas, Chaparral (AZ)
The Longhorns have officially entered the race for the 6-foot-4, 290-pounder with off the charts physical specs. Alabama, Notre Dame and Texas A&M in contention, too.

Who could Texas flip?
Quinn Ewers, QB, Southlake Carroll
Texas continues to be in contact with people close to the Ohio State verbal.

Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland High
The Oklahoma verbal continues to stay in daily contact with the Texas staff. And his mom likes the idea of Texas.

Caleb Burton, WR, Del Valle
It remains to be seen how hard Texas will push the silky smooth receiver, and Ohio State verbal. If Texas flipped the Austin area budding star at any point in the process, it would be a huge win for the new staff from a perception standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 6

I really have no idea what this D-line class is going to look like. Ross at DT, sure, and then what?

At DT - Orange maybe? Swanson bulks up and plays DT instead of EDGE? We shoot the moon and get Bear, Lucas, or the Alabama guy? That seems unlikely, but maybe Lucas is more open than we think. I don't know what the situation is with guys like Kaleb Artis or Gracial. 

At DE, theoretically Swanson is listed at SDE. Wesolak is likely to go Clemson or ND it seems, Brown is looking at OU, and I'm not betting on pulling Abor. Finkley doesn't even make the radar, nor does Halton it seems. Ideally Cooper comes through but even then we've got what, 3 of the 6 D-line guys we want? 

So Ross, Swanson, Cooper and then we find 3 more guys in Bo Davis's twitter follows. Anyone have a better prognosis here?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

You know what's a fun conversation, relevant to the topic at hand, and definitely good for Texas if anyone feels like screenshotting it?

Shitting all over Caden Sterns! Especially when you compare him unfavorably to a white player in the process!

Statistically speaking Gideon is honorary. 

I think the following is only category that Sterns > Gideon in

Quitting on Team:
Sterns 1

Gideon 0

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2
1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Overshown has haters? 

He's the guy on the current roster (outside of Juwan) that gets the most "well if he posts something I don't agree with on Twitter he can GTFO" flak across the Texas boards, including this one.

• Hook 'Em 2
Just now, texifornia said:

He's the guy on the current roster (outside of Juwan) that gets the most "well if he posts something I don't agree with on Twitter he can GTFO" flak across the Texas boards, including this one.

But then he plays and everyone is like okay nvm. IMO the way Overshown has handled all this vs Sterns is night and day difference. 

Juwan is just a dumbass, plain and simple. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Super K on Harold Perkins

Spoiler

This morning, I spoke with the coach of 2022 5-star linebacker, Harold Perkins.

I went to see Harold last month when some of the rumors started to go around about him possibly committing to Texas A&M. That was not the case.

In fact, I got the sense Harold was still very open. At the time he had just begun to hear from coach Banks and company. As you can imagine, that communication has grown a lot in the past month.

I’m told he’s still set on waiting till the summer to even consider a commitment. Big thing for Harold is he wants to meet coaches in person. He wants to look them in the eye.

• Hook 'Em 5
36 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Overshown has haters? 

Whatever you are doing in your Texas fandom to have missed on this is aspirational and I'm jealous. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The Texas class has seven four-star commits currently, and arguably leads for several others including Devon Campbell, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks and Jamarion Miller. Texas is now trending favorably for Jacoby Mathews

I hate getting my hopes up for elite players from the Boot so screw Gerry for teasing that we may be leading here. This would be a monster pickup. 

• Hook 'Em 5
4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Harold Perkins

Hide contents

This morning, I spoke with the coach of 2022 5-star linebacker, Harold Perkins.

I went to see Harold last month when some of the rumors started to go around about him possibly committing to Texas A&M. That was not the case.

In fact, I got the sense Harold was still very open. At the time he had just begun to hear from coach Banks and company. As you can imagine, that communication has grown a lot in the past month.

I’m told he’s still set on waiting till the summer to even consider a commitment. Big thing for Harold is he wants to meet coaches in person. He wants to look them in the eye.

We got this.

image.jpeg.60066e241d4c4090f118affd57842ec8.jpeg

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Whatever you are doing in your Texas fandom to have missed on this is aspirational and I'm jealous. 

I think I've heard it referred to as "not clicking on the thread."  It is apparently very effective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I think I've heard it referred to as "not clicking on the thread."  It is apparently very effective.

You mean like reading the recruiting thread instead of the Caden Sterns thread? It’s not effective at all.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 5
17 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Oh is it effective? Which thread are we talking exactly? Certainly not this one. Someone posted he got into a car accident on the "offseason thread" and the first couple responses were how much of a pain in the ass the guy is so not that one either. 

Edited by UncleSonny
IDIOTsavant beat me to it
5 hours ago, Kanly said:

Since this particular job title hasn't really been around for longer than a couple cups of coffee, he either could see into the future of football coaching infrastructures or is still about 9 years old. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Since this particular job title hasn't really been around for longer than a couple cups of coffee, he either could see into the future of football coaching infrastructures or is still about 9 years old. 

I don't think this is a football job, seems like a university thing

• Hook 'Em 1
1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

With the mask mandate being lifted all business being open 100% do you think the ncaa will open up official visits soon

No, because that would only benefit schools in Texas, and everyone else would throw a shit fit. “Who cares if it’s good for the kids!”

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

Spoiler

Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

NickHarris

HOUSTON — This past weekend, Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson made his first appearance since dropping a top five of Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, USC and Michigan at Pylon 7v7's Houston tournament at C.E. King.

Anderson was in action for the Houston-based Texas Stars Elite as they made a deep run into the tournament semi-finals behind elite defensive play. Anderson was one of the stars of the weekend as he shut down his assignments and covered a ton of ground from the safety position. Amongst it all, he was able to catch up with Horns247 to discuss each school in his top five:

Texas: "Texas was always in my top five. Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon have been on me hard. They've been recruiting me hard and recruiting my family hard. They're actually recruiting me as a nickel and a corner."

LSU: "They've been recruiting me for a long time and Coach Raymond is my guy. I'm ready to see what the new coaching staff can do."

Texas A&M: "Coach (Tommie Robinson) is over there now and Coach Rushing has been recruiting me hard too."

USC: "Cali is Cali. Looking forward to taking an official out there."

Michigan: "Coach (Maurice Linguist), he offered me back when he was at A&M and he's been recruiting me hard since then."

The thing that sticks out the most is Anderson being recruited by Texas as a player that can play along the entire secondary, not just at safety. He has proven to be super versatile at the high school level and safeties coach Blake Gideon along with cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph will certainly look to play around with that versatility if Anderson does end up choosing the Longhorns.

A decision is expected in the next month, but don't be surprised if Anderson decides to hold off on committing before taking some visits to each of his top five options. With Texas being the figurative leader at the moment, each of his other top five options will try to get him to hold off until after he takes those visits.

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, Anderson is the No. 61 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 11 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

Hide contents

Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

NickHarris

HOUSTON — This past weekend, Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson made his first appearance since dropping a top five of Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, USC and Michigan at Pylon 7v7's Houston tournament at C.E. King.

Anderson was in action for the Houston-based Texas Stars Elite as they made a deep run into the tournament semi-finals behind elite defensive play. Anderson was one of the stars of the weekend as he shut down his assignments and covered a ton of ground from the safety position. Amongst it all, he was able to catch up with Horns247 to discuss each school in his top five:

Texas: "Texas was always in my top five. Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon have been on me hard. They've been recruiting me hard and recruiting my family hard. They're actually recruiting me as a nickel and a corner."

LSU: "They've been recruiting me for a long time and Coach Raymond is my guy. I'm ready to see what the new coaching staff can do."

Texas A&M: "Coach (Tommie Robinson) is over there now and Coach Rushing has been recruiting me hard too."

Michigan: "Coach (Maurice Linguist), he offered me back when he was at A&M and he's been recruiting me hard since then."

The thing that sticks out the most is Anderson being recruited by Texas as a player that can play along the entire secondary, not just at safety. He has proven to be super versatile at the high school level and safeties coach Blake Gideon along with cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph will certainly look to play around with that versatility if Anderson does end up choosing the Longhorns.

A decision is expected in the next month, but don't be surprised if Anderson decides to hold off on committing before taking some visits to each of his top five options. With Texas being the figurative leader at the moment, each of his other top five options will try to get him to hold off until after he takes those visits.

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, Anderson is the No. 61 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 11 recruit in the state of Texas.

From date set, and crystal balls dropping to don’t be surprised if he holds off until visits recommence? That negative recruiting coming hard from aggy it seems?

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

From date set, and crystal balls dropping to don’t be surprised if he holds off until visits recommence? That negative recruiting coming hard from aggy it seems?

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hopefully he's just looking for a free trip to California.

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Hopefully he's just looking for a free trip to California.

Hopefully, he’s just trying to change the narrative that he’s committing on 4/9 because he wants to “shock the world.”

• Hook 'Em 2
Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

Hopefully, he’s just trying to change the narrative that he’s committing on 4/9 because he wants to “shock the world.”

This is most likely the case.

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Copied from the bot: The Texas class has seven four-star commits currently, and arguably leads for several others including Devon Campbell, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks and Jamarion Miller.

Jamarion Miller's tape looks good. I think he could play the slot as well as RB. He would be a decent sub for Coleman if he can catch.

• Hook 'Em 2