Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

The struggle for the straight white male is real, y'all.

CBS Sued by ‘SEAL Team' Scribe Over Alleged Racial Quotas for Hiring Writers

Brian Beneker, a script coordinator for SEAL Team, alleges in a lawsuit filed in California federal court Wednesday that he was repeatedly denied a staff writer job after the implementation of an "illegal policy of race and sex balancing" that promoted the hiring of "less qualified applicants who were members of more preferred groups," namely those who identify as minorities, LGBTQ or women. He seeks at least $500,000, as well as a court order making him a full-time producer on the series and barring the further use of discriminatory hiring practices.

Beneker is represented by America First Legal Foundation, a conservative group founded by Stephen Miller, a White House policy adviser under the Trump Administration. The organization has been filing complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against major companies, including Morgan Stanley, Starbucks and McDonald's, over corporate diversity and hiring practices that allegedly run afoul of civil rights laws. CBS, which declined to comment, is believed to be the first company in the entertainment industry in its crosshairs.

Posted (edited)

I’ll kick him more when I need some fun but it’s clear this dude is unhinged…Picked on a lot is my guess.  And seems it was by people on this site.  Swam was never this batshit crazy but his brain has only been rotting more with every breath he takes…here we are.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

2 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

got one neg to my like hundred plus

I didn't start a bombing run until you did. You negged the only comment I had in the thread until this one. You earned every one of them.

Maybe try not being a dick. See how that works out for you.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Waaaaaah. Waaaaaah. Waaaaaah. Cry me a river, dude. You got one neg to my like hundred plus and you're butthurt? Fuck outta here. 

Lol, this here is someone who doesn’t care about rep, folks.  He’s very clearly above it all.  Just counting out neg rep ratios like a totally well adjusted normal human being. 😂

17 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Waaaaaah. Waaaaaah. Waaaaaah. Cry me a river, dude. You got one neg to my like hundred plus and you're butthurt? Fuck outta here. 

So you confirm that the negs bother you and you were lying when you tried to act like everyone else takes things too seriously and you didn't care about any of it. Essentially, yesterday you explicitly confirmed that your entire performance on this thread was a complete fraud. Mind you, nobody fell for it and everyone already knew that you were full of it, but I do appreciate your admitting it.

• Haha 1

What does the V-J Day photo have to do with CRT at UT?  (Beyond that, it doesn't appear to me to have captured a particularly non-consensual act, but maybe there's a back story I'm not aware of.  Regardless, it's not germane to the thread.)

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What does the V-J Day photo have to do with CRT at UT?  (Beyond that, it doesn't appear to me to have captured a particularly non-consensual act, but maybe there's a back story I'm not aware of.  Regardless, it's not germane to the thread.)

To be fair, probably 75% of posts on Surly have nothing to do with the thread title.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

To be fair, probably 75% of posts on Surly have nothing to do with the thread title.  

Back story that is not germane to the thread title of CRT at UT, but then again, what Rufo has amplified is not germane to CRT either:

Decades later the unknown couple was identified as the American sailor George Mendonsa and nurse Greta Zimmer Friedman. Greta Friedman was 21 years old on August 14, 1945.

After reporting to work at a dentist’s office, she heard the news: Japan had surrendered, and World War II was coming to an end. She wandered into Times Square when a passing sailor locked her in an unexpected embrace. “I did not see him approaching, and before I know it I was in this vice grip,” she told CBS news in a 2012 interview. “It wasn’t my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and grabbed. That man was very strong. I wasn’t kissing him. He was kissing me”.

Spoiler

She later went on to say that she understood the emotion of the moment, but with respect to our backward viewing lens, it's complicated once one knows the story. What good would her complaining about it have done at that time in history? Nothing. Things have only changed bit by bit in the 70 years since this photo was taken.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe, with the horrifying amount of sexual violence that women experience within the military, it's not that big of a deal to take copies of an almost 80 year old photo quietly off the wall.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Maybe, with the horrifying amount of sexual violence that women experience within the military, it's not that big of a deal to take copies of an almost 80 year old photo quietly off the wall.

I think it's a perfect crystalization of why so much of boomerdom is so reflexively extremely hateful towards anything they construe as "WOKE" - this is in their mind an image of the ultimate triumph and zenith of when our country was at its greatest and most righteous, and the damn woke mind virus is trying to destroy it because they hate america raaggbabbhbhabhhghl

You and I both know that things were only good the time if you were a straight white man. But that image is still an indelible and (before I knew about the background story) CLASSIC image of the thrill of joy at the end of the war. I still think it is, but that context is important to include.

We should never erase or alter history, but definitely don't need to use an image of nonconsensual kissing to define VJ day

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We should never erase or alter history, but definitely don't need to use an image of nonconsensual kissing to define VJ day

So the US killed over 214,000 civilians in 2 nuclear attacks on Japan, but we're focused on the horrors of a brief kiss?  

More context from her interview...I think it's important to note that at the time of the photo, he was engaged, and his fiancé was with him.  He wasn't some crazy horn dog trying to parlay V-J into sex with a random woman.  He was overcome by joy and doing something that wasn't uncommon or frowned upon at the time.  Look at the smiles on the faces of the women watching in the background.  Clearly nobody at the time saw this as a sexual assault.  

And so suddenly I was grabbed by a sailor, and it wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back, I found out later, he was so happy that he did not have to go back to the Pacific where they already had been through the war. And the reason he grabbed someone dressed like a nurse was that he just felt very grateful to nurses who took care of the wounded. 

Doesn't sound like she was too traumatized either considering they kept in touch.

And you and George are in touch still?

Once in a while. Well, we send each other Christmas cards. And he has a very lovely wife, and I've talked to her. But we're not friends who see each other, but through this happening, you know, we have something in common. And probably at Christmas we'll get in touch by sending cards again.

So do you have any words for him?

Yeah. Well, I think he was the one who made me famous but, I mean, because he took the action. I was just a bystander. So I think he deserves a lot of credit. Actually, by the photographer creating something that was very symbolic of the end of a bad period.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 1

Let's be honest, circumstances aside, it's one of the great photos in American history.  That doesn't mean it needs to be used in government offices and publications, though, given the back story.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's be honest, circumstances aside, it's one of the great photos in American history.  That doesn't mean it needs to be used in government offices and publications, though, given the back story.

This is a legitimate, well-reasoned, almost common-sense opinion and approach to the issue. I agree completely.

And it will still be used as some sort of rallying cry for the MAGA crowd. Everyday I'm fucking lost that reason only exists for about 52% of the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So the US killed over 214,000 civilians in 2 nuclear attacks on Japan, but we're focused on the horrors of a brief kiss?  

More context from her interview...I think it's important to note that at the time of the photo, he was engaged, and his fiancé was with him.  He wasn't some crazy horn dog trying to parlay V-J into sex with a random woman.  He was overcome by joy and doing something that wasn't uncommon or frowned upon at the time.  Look at the smiles on the faces of the women watching in the background.  Clearly nobody at the time saw this as a sexual assault.  

Doesn't sound like she was too traumatized either considering they kept in touch.

No one is focused on anything to do with the photo except right wing chud social media accounts that are amplifying it to idiots like GRU who then try to gin up anger elsewhere online. It was a slight change in policy that is inconsequential to the majority of people. 

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought this place was toxic but I'm the only one to neg to GRU for his gross bullshit? Smh

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it's woke.  It's all woke.  That's the problem, it's just a bunch of miscellaneous wokeness.  

image.thumb.png.7a0e8ba2ec6f68311edde407d53a2238.png

• Haha 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It was indeed; it's also a matter of perspective because my experience with an unwanted assault by a stranger was different. Had he kissed his fiance and thanked the nurse, the photo might not have happened, but if the late Nurse Friedman was forgiving of the moment, then I am willing to consider her perspective as well.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Whether or not it is displayed in government offices is irrelevant to me, but I don't think the back story diminishes the moment, or the picture.

I just have an issue with the US military / government trying to be the moral compass for America given it's track record.  

4 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought this place was toxic but there's only one neg to GRU for his gross bullshit? Smh

I never (or almost never) neg anyone in the CR. 

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Whether or not it is displayed in government offices is irrelevant to me, but I don't think the back story diminishes the moment, or the picture.

I just have an issue with the US military / government trying to be the moral compass for America given it's track record.  

I never (or almost never) neg anyone in the CR. 

I don't really disagree with your first sentence to any important degree, and I am a multiple-times survivor of sexual assault/rape. 

As regards to the second, I'm glad that vets who have experienced sexual assault or rape while in the military have one less potential reminder of how casually society writ large treats consent. Are we still shitty and hypocritical with our morals as a country? Of course. But I find it hard to get upset, care, or even really spend time thinking about a small positive step forward. 

My last post was more of a joke than anything else, but it's ridiculous that the latest iteration of GRU is still around 

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

My last post was more of a joke than anything else, but it's ridiculous that the latest iteration of GRU is still around 

Is Boss Hogg GRUhorn? I'm pretty sure he's posting as "Cum Rocket" in the crypto 6sJ thread 

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yep.  For instance. We’ve probably never had a thread in the music forum about there being a restraining order between Hall and Oates, but we’ve discussed it in depth across multiple threads in CR.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Imagine how the statue=heritage crowd will lose their shit when San Diego takes this thing down.IMG_3384.jpg

TBH, that's a pretty ugly statue and probably should come down for that reason alone.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1