Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

9 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Every race has been a victim of racism. Some more than others, depending on the era and locale. 

Is that wrong? I've never been to jail, but, I've also never been convicted of a crime. Seems like solid logic and has worked well for many people. 

I know I’m wasting my time responding to an obvious troll. But I’ve committed some crimes. I’ve been arrested. I even got busted with a fairly large quantity of marijuana, divided up into separate bags, IN NORTH CAROLINA. I spent no time in jail. I ultimately hired a lawyer I found on the internet to represent me and never even traveled back to NC to appear in court. I can’t recall if I wound up paying a fine or not. Probably. But I’m a middle class white guy. I’m well aware of the privilege I enjoy. I’m thankful for it. A black guy in the same circumstances wouldn’t be likely to get off so easily and there are mountains of statistics to demonstrate that.

But that doesn’t matter to you. You probably know that. Of course you’re a fucking idiot if you’re not aware of that. But you’re a troll and it doesn’t matter if you’re faking being that dumb or if you really are that dumb. It’s the same either way. You’re not here to have a serious discussion so you should just be negged and ignored. So fuck off, troll. Go back to the kiddie table and stop interrupting the grownups. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

Are you under the impression that whites wee the only willing participants in slavery in the US? 

Anthony Johnson? William Ellison? Elizabeth Skelton? Did they help lay the framework for the systemic racism? 

Does the complicity of a handful of Africans with the slave trade excuse the government of the United States of America? At the time of the Constitution? During Jim Crow? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You've certainly mastered all of the white grievance talking points that the right likes to trot out when confronted with America's stubborn race problem.

That whole right and left thing creates a huge division amongst Americans. I think it would be best to abandon that line of thinking entirely. People can have differing viewpoints without being classified into one of two antiquated groupings. 

Edited by ElChupacabra
  • Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Does the complicity of a handful of Africans with the slave trade excuse the government of the United States of America? At the time of the Constitution? During Jim Crow? 

Certainly not. But, posters here seem to maintain that only whites participated in slavery and racial segregation. Also, that's just a handful that I know of personally. There are a great many more. And an even larger number of proponents that weren't white OR black. It's like there's only been two races in this country from day one. Where is all the heartfelt emotions for the Native Americans? We just not going to talk about that because y'all killed them all off? 

• Fuck You 5

Just now, ElChupacabra said:

Certainly not. But, posters here seem to maintain that only whites participated in slavery and racial segregation. Also, that's just a handful that I know of personally. There are a great many more. And an even larger number of proponents that weren't white OR black. It's like there's only been two races in this country from day one. Where is all the heartfelt emotions for the Native Americans? We just not going to talk about that because y'all killed them all off? 

Who?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Goat sucker is a troll and we are getting sucked by him. I erred in my judgement in engaging with him, and he's not here to participate in good faith.

He's taking joy in not reading the thread and just declaring everyone as reactionaries just throwing around mean words. It's a shame that the mods don't give a shit about trolling in the CR. 

Plus, ACTUAL critical race theory does actually consider and talk about native Americans, not just black folks. Chupacabra is repeating the chris rufo disinformation line and framing of CRT, wether he realizes it or not. And rather than being intellectually curious to read what he's unintentionally stanning for (which is genuinely driving much of the anti-DEI shit across the country), he's digging in his heels and victimizing more

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Goat sucker is a troll and we are getting sucked by him. I erred in my judgement in engaging with him, and he's not here to participate in good faith.

He's taking joy in not reading the thread and just declaring everyone as reactionaries just throwing around mean words. It's a shame that the mods don't give a shit about trolling in the CR. 

Plus, ACTUAL critical race theory does actually consider and talk about native Americans, not just black folks. Chupacabra is repeating the chris rufo disinformation line and framing of CRT, wether he realizes it or not. And rather than being intellectually curious to read what he's unintentionally stanning for (which is genuinely driving much of the anti-DEI shit across the country), he's digging in his heels and victimizing more

Well, said. Not only are his arguments threadbare and unpersuasive, they attempt to portray an America unburdened by history.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 - very rarely, a video posted here makes me laugh so hard I have tears. This one did it. Watched it with my white woman wife, and she was cracking up with me, saying “yeah, check that box.”

2 - I’m actually glad Chupacabra showed up to post all of the tropes the crowd that desperately does NOT want society to admit and confront racism likes to trot out. I mean, he hit most every one. And he did so in spite of the pages and pages of posts in ahead of his that already answered all of those questions (e.g., my recent post about how black lawyers have been playing catch-up for generations, and how for a long-ass time, their only good starting point was a government job…these are lawyers practicing TODAY, and leading their community TODAY).

Chupacabra is far from alone. He’s not stupid - if he spent a millisecond actually considering the issue, he’d know that he’s off base. But the point is, the Chupacabras don’t WANT to see that. They are purposefully averting their mental gaze from something unpleasant and uncomfortable. It’s human nature, so it’s something that we’re going to have to continue to deal with. It’s not that they can’t see and understand what systemic racism is (i.e., not a malicious conspiracy, but a natural outcome of centuries of consistent human behavior), it’s that they don’t want to see it or understand it, so they won’t.

No amount of showing things to someone who has their eyes intentionally squeezed shut will change their mind. Ever. A shitload of our fellow Americans are like that, and as a society, we have to deal with it. How do we move the automobile of society forward with a purposefully flat tire? We do it the best we can. Just keep thump-thump-thumping down the road, frustrated that we’re being slowed down by a stupid, pointless flat tire, but going down the road nonetheless.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 - very rarely, a video posted here makes me laugh so hard I have tears. This one did it. Watched it with my white woman wife, and she was cracking up with me, saying “yeah, check that box.”

If you enjoyed that, you should watch the entire "Inside" special by Bo Burnham. It's got tons of funny and biting songs like that. 

And also, I really dig his use of cinematography - in the "White Woman's Instagram" song it's always in the square IG framing until the song leaves character and talks about missing her mom, when it shifts to a full picture. And then when the lyrics become more IG-tropey the picture pulls back into the square (curated and produced) image. He does loads of great visual storytelling like that, it's awesome 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

2 - I’m actually glad Chupacabra showed up to post all of the tropes the crowd that desperately does NOT want society to admit and confront racism likes to trot out. I mean, he hit most every one. And he did so in spite of the pages and pages of posts in ahead of his that already answered all of those questions (e.g., my recent post about how black lawyers have been playing catch-up for generations, and how for a long-ass time, their only good starting point was a government job…these are lawyers practicing TODAY, and leading their community TODAY).

Chupacabra is far from alone. He’s not stupid - if he spent a millisecond actually considering the issue, he’d know that he’s off base. But the point is, the Chupacabras don’t WANT to see that. They are purposefully averting their mental gaze from something unpleasant and uncomfortable. It’s human nature, so it’s something that we’re going to have to continue to deal with. It’s not that they can’t see and understand what systemic racism is (i.e., not a malicious conspiracy, but a natural outcome of centuries of consistent human behavior), it’s that they don’t want to see it or understand it, so they won’t.

No amount of showing things to someone who has their eyes intentionally squeezed shut will change their mind. Ever. A shitload of our fellow Americans are like that, and as a society, we have to deal with it. How do we move the automobile of society forward with a purposefully flat tire? We do it the best we can. Just keep thump-thump-thumping down the road, frustrated that we’re being slowed down by a stupid, pointless flat tire, but going down the road nonetheless.

Doesn’t want to see.  Or want to think.  Or know.  Just believe.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

That whole right and left thing creates a huge division amongst Americans. I think it would be best to abandon that line of thinking entirely. People can have differing viewpoints without being classified into one of two antiquated groupings. 
Why, just last night I was masturbating an older gentlemen I met on the bus who happened to be African-American. I don’t care what his politics are or his race. 

Fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/29/2024 at 1:10 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

... start fucking with football. 

That would be an interesting dilemma especially with NIL and the portal growing in importance over the last year. There are 14,780 black males playing DI football along with 10,939 white males, and 5003 males who fit other demographic categories (two or more races, native american, etc). If you shrink that to just FBS schools with autonomy (the power schools), then those numbers are: 3923 (black), 2999 (white), and 1,472 (other incl two or more races etc).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I cannot imagine being so triggered by an opposing viewpoint. Y'all are weak minded as hell. 

Neg away, bitches. Your internet cred means nothing to me 😁

It's not your "opposing viewpoint" that's the problem.  It's your inability to form an argument for your position.  

I have opposing viewpoints all the time in the CR, but at least I try to defend them, and if shown to be wrong I'll admit the mistake.  Y

Your posts lack an argument other than this is how I feel, so it's true, and no amount of evidence to the contrary will sway my opinion.  That's called not arguing in good faith.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Incarceration: don't commit crimes. Pretty simple, really. 

Home Ownership: Eh, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Renting works out wonderfully for a great many people. I don't see what this has to do with race, though. Either you have good credit and the funds or you don't. Lenders couldn't care less if you were Eskimo or Guadalajaran. 

Employment Rates: the world needs ditch diggers, too. Too many think themselves "above" some type of gainful employment. Also, the whole "everyone should go to college" thing really fucked the U.S. up. We need more tradesman and skilled workers but no one wants to be looked down on because they didn't attend UT and get that cherished LA degree.

Life Expectancy: Now this one absolutely can be attributed, at least in some respects, to race. Some races are more prone to health complications due to their genetics. Luck of the draw, I suppose. 

Just to pile on.  You’re a stupid MF.  There’s millions of examples of discrimination when renting.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

One could have slept through a history class and still learned about all of the enslavers.

12 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Are you under the impression that whites wee the only willing participants in slavery in the US? 

Anthony Johnson? William Ellison? Elizabeth Skelton? Did they help lay the framework for the systemic racism? 

What in the blue fuck does this response have to do with my post? 

So typical of the "opposing view." First, it's not a view, it's a dubiously relevant factoid. Not dubiously relevant, completely irrelevant,except that I guess finding some complicit darkies makes you  feel better about it. 

As my post makes pretty clear, in the US we don't even have to rely on CRT to establish origins of institutional racism it was right out in the open for everyone to see, 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I was going to quote my post but I'm not sure how to do that interthreads on a phone, so I'll just c/p:

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past." - Sartre

Substitute your bigotry of choice and it almost certainly still applies. 

Y'all are wasting your time engaging.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

All I can say is THANK GOD you imbeciles are the minority in this fine country. If it were the other way around, we'd be in deep shit. 

Lol. You really are one dumb motherfucker. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I always love when the loud as fuck minority trick themselves into believing that they're actually the silent majority. Keep fighting the good fight, little buddy!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I always love when the loud as fuck minority trick themselves into believing that they're actually the silent majority. Keep fighting the good fight, little buddy!

Pretty obvious sign that he's an election denier. Trump and his ilk have never had a majority. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I cannot imagine being so triggered by an opposing viewpoint. Y'all are weak minded as hell. 

Neg away, bitches. Your internet cred means nothing to me 😁

You right-wing types really are like video game NPC's aren't you? Same lines spoken at the exact same point in the conversation. 

It's not so much being "triggered" at an opposing viewpoint as it is being shocked at how simple-minded the human species is capable of being. We'd have the exact same reaction to someone that seriously insisted that the moon is made out of cheese. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

You right-wing types really are like video game NPC's aren't you? Same lines spoken at the exact same point in the conversation. 

It's not so much being "triggered" at an opposing viewpoint as it is being shocked at how simple-minded the human species is capable of being. We'd have the exact same reaction to someone that seriously insisted that the moon is made out of cheese. 

I’ve said it before, but I met a flat-earther in real life last year and I was just floored. I asked him three times if he was just fucking with me, but nope, he was dead on serious. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Im sure some here are cheering this news ….

I’d like to hear from those of you who really believe DEI is a danger to Texans? What’s bad about diversity, or inclusion? Most people opposed to equity can’t tell you what it means.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

Diversity is awesome.  America wouldn't be what it is without it, and I mean that in the most fundamental, positive way.

I disagree with the way many people measure  or define it.

Inclusion is a fundamental element in equality, IMHO.  Without it, equality does not exist.

Equity is a debatable definition for the  format for folks to apply equality of results.

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Diversity is awesome.  America wouldn't be what it is without it, and I mean that in the most fundamental, positive way.

Inclusion is a fundamental element in equality, IMHO.  Without it, equality does not exist.

Equity is a debatable definition for the  format for folks to apply equality of results.

Well however you slice it, it's banned from Texas universities. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

Tech and Houston find themselves in a perpetual state of catch up to UT and aggy  because of long term inequities in funding. Even if the state started to fund all systems equally starting tomorrow, they would still be behind because they’ve always been behind, and without an equitable arrangement, there is no catching up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

I’d like to hear from those of you who really believe DEI is a danger to Texans? What’s bad about diversity, or inclusion? Most people opposed to equity can’t tell you what it means.

It's bad if it encroaches upon the unearned societal and economic privileges enjoyed by a disproportionate number of wypipo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ve said it before, but I met a flat-earther in real life last year and I was just floored. I asked him three times if he was just fucking with me, but nope, he was dead on serious. 

What really blows my mind is those that have flown high enough to see the curvature of the earth. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Tech and Houston find themselves in a perpetual state of catch up to UT and aggy  because of long term inequities in funding. Even if the state started to fund all systems equally starting tomorrow, they would still be behind because they’ve always been behind, and without an equitable arrangement, there is no catching up. 

Nothing I posted had fuck to do with finances.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It's bad if it encroaches upon the unearned societal and economic privileges enjoyed by a disproportionate number of wypipo.

What is really bad is when it threatens to do this in basically made-up ways fueled by the fever dreams of replacement theorists. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1