The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

I like all things wake just for the record and have owned or ridden numerous models from every major brand over the last 25 years. I also like all things wakeboat (except for the asinine color combinations that have perpetuated the market) which is probably why I can’t keep one very long. Saying that, the market is crazy at this point and what people are paying for surf specific boats is f-ing nuts. With proper weight distribution, you can surf pretty much any wake boat. Hell, Cobalt makes a surf model now in an I/O. The first boat I ever surfed was a 93 DD PS205 and the X1 I sold would throw a monster surf wake when loaded down. These newer models are so big they have had to get overly technical to get them to drag the corner. A properly weighted mid 2000’s X1, SANTE, or VLX will do it with people and ballast.

This is clearly my old man yelling at clouds moment. I’m probably just pissed I sold at the exact wrong time and still haven’t found a replacement. 

• Like 3

Okay since we are all about the waves here is a better pick of ours and we had my big girl ass and my 12 year old on the surf side.

49ec795dc303015b623e72279c2151d0.jpg

I’d post a video if I could, kiddo in one day jumps straight from getting up all the time now to slack in the rope for about 90 seconds straight. I caught him mouthing the words “I got it now” to himself.

Gratuitous sunset pick. Sky was crazy tonight.

c2f55ce1f8e3c3b525bf4d9fc5b95491.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brew said:

I like all things wake just for the record and have owned or ridden numerous models from every major brand over the last 25 years. I also like all things wakeboat (except for the asinine color combinations that have perpetuated the market) which is probably why I can’t keep one very long. Saying that, the market is crazy at this point and what people are paying for surf specific boats is f-ing nuts. With proper weight distribution, you can surf pretty much any wake boat. Hell, Cobalt makes a surf model now in an I/O. The first boat I ever surfed was a 93 DD PS205 and the X1 I sold would throw a monster surf wake when loaded down. These newer models are so big they have had to get overly technical to get them to drag the corner. A properly weighted mid 2000’s X1, SANTE, or VLX will do it with people and ballast.

This is clearly my old man yelling at clouds moment. I’m probably just pissed I sold at the exact wrong time and still haven’t found a replacement. 

I'm sure this is mostly true.  but like most things, they do get better with competition.  the value may not be there as much when comparing an insanely priced boat to a good enough older one and the older boats may be from the golden era of user ingenuity to make it work, more personal ownership over the wave so to speak, but I doubt purpose built boats purely from a performance sense are the same or worse than older set ups.  and if I had an older boat free and clear, pushing classic level boat status I'd sure as the sun rises and sets talk all kinds of trash to the tricked out $100-200K boat owners bragging about their bodacious waves.  I mean heck, I think my recently acquired old F350 that has less power than a new, well equipped F250 these days is still better than the rest, so I get it.  so yell at the clouds, we all do it.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

@Landomatic needs to post pics of his new boat here.

Here ya go...

Regal Express 28.  Came with just about every option you can put on one, including a couple I definitely don't need...like salt water system and full cockpit enclosure.  Otherwise, she's pretty much exactly how I would have done it if I'd customized it myself.  Just so happened our local Regal dealer had one coming in stock (they're selling them faster than they can order them right now) and it was almost exactly how I wanted it.  I've been wanting to get this boat for years and Covid finally pushed me to go ahead and pull the trigger.  Felt like the best bet for something safe.  So yeah, total boat newb here, but so far it hasn't been too overwhelming.  Just finished our first weekend and had a blast.

HWMf2X.jpg

These are the only pics I got of the interior (for the food thread)...

uVpU96.jpg

7JNItg.jpg

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 4

boats are fun, until they aren't.

My boat has intermittent issues where the engine loses rpms and stutters at any higher rpm above idle. Doesn't happen all the time and no rhyme or reason when it happens. It happens about 1 out 3 trips. 2 of 3 trips will run great for the whole 5 hour day. That 1 time can be within 10 mins or 3 hours later. I'll be coasting at 2500 rpms, and then the engine starts stuttering about every 2 seconds like it's out of fuel or short of air or misfiring. It'll gradually lose rpms down to 2000 and lower. I'll back off the throttle, let it idle, get back up on plane and it'll happen again with seconds or maybe mins later. 

My buddy has a 1.5 year old $180k Cobalt R7. He had the starter die a month ago. This weekend one of his bilge pumps turned on and would not turn off. The bilge is right underneath the big ass engine so there's no way of replacing it that I can see without removing the entire engine. Disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and it would kick on again. Finally got it to correct itself when I unplugged and replugged the fuse from the battery terminals. Again, everything was working fine, until it wasn't.

If cars ran as unreliable as boats, no one would ever buy them.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The bilge is right underneath the big ass engine so there's no way of replacing it that I can see without removing the entire engine.

I can't believe that would be the case.  Bilge pumps crap out all the time.  I can't imagine you would have to remove the engine to replace it.  Would be one of the greatest design flaws in history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

boats are fun, until they aren't.

My boat has intermittent issues where the engine loses rpms and stutters at any higher rpm above idle. Doesn't happen all the time and no rhyme or reason when it happens. It happens about 1 out 3 trips. 2 of 3 trips will run great for the whole 5 hour day. That 1 time can be within 10 mins or 3 hours later. I'll be coasting at 2500 rpms, and then the engine starts stuttering about every 2 seconds like it's out of fuel or short of air or misfiring. It'll gradually lose rpms down to 2000 and lower. I'll back off the throttle, let it idle, get back up on plane and it'll happen again with seconds or maybe mins later. 

My buddy has a 1.5 year old $180k Cobalt R7. He had the starter die a month ago. This weekend one of his bilge pumps turned on and would not turn off. The bilge is right underneath the big ass engine so there's no way of replacing it that I can see without removing the entire engine. Disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and it would kick on again. Finally got it to correct itself when I unplugged and replugged the fuse from the battery terminals. Again, everything was working fine, until it wasn't.

that's why we bought new because I had an old colbalt that was amazing when it worked but it had issues, well because it's an old boat.  we may go 2 more summers and then trade in or do something different.  nothing worse than paying for boat repairs. 

11 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’m looking at a Supra. God help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What model? Supra makes a quality boat. I tried buying a 2011 22V Worlds Edition a couple weeks ago, but we couldn’t come to an agreement on pricing. I’m still operating in normal pricing mode.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

What model? Supra makes a quality boat. I tried buying a 2011 22V Worlds Edition a couple weeks ago, but we couldn’t come to an agreement on pricing. I’m still operating in normal pricing mode.

take normal pricing and add a quality of life component and quit acting like an accountant and start acting like a doctor or lawyer and just do it.  money does grow on trees when you work like you do.  just  money whip them like you're the boss ... because last time I checked, you are.  boom.  mic drop.  buy it. own it.  don't forget the sun screen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Here ya go...

Regal Express 28.  Came with just about every option you can put on one, including a couple I definitely don't need...like salt water system and full cockpit enclosure.  Otherwise, she's pretty much exactly how I would have done it if I'd customized it myself.  Just so happened our local Regal dealer had one coming in stock (they're selling them faster than they can order them right now) and it was almost exactly how I wanted it.  I've been wanting to get this boat for years and Covid finally pushed me to go ahead and pull the trigger.  Felt like the best bet for something safe.  So yeah, total boat newb here, but so far it hasn't been too overwhelming.  Just finished our first weekend and had a blast.

HWMf2X.jpg

These are the only pics I got of the interior (for the food thread)...

uVpU96.jpg

7JNItg.jpg

Pics of the cabin? Take some hints from @Errestaurants in the composition?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Comp.

I like the classics man.

I’m a fan of the classic hulls and minimal electronics. The sound from the older 350/351’s can’t be matched with today’s boats. I had a buddy with a Saltare that was a lot of fun.

I’m a fan of the classic hulls and minimal electronics. The sound from the older 350/351’s can’t be matched with today’s boats. I had a buddy with a Saltare that was a lot of fun.

Agreed. And they don’t break. All of those components were used all over the industry for years. They’re bulletproof.

Had an 89 American skier that I spent $0 on repairs over 6 years (except for a flat tire).

2001 83 nautique: $0 on repairs

77 Ski Tique: a belt I think.

That ‘77 tique was fast. 302 sitting in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

take normal pricing and add a quality of life component and quit acting like an accountant and start acting like a doctor or lawyer and just do it.  money does grow on trees when you work like you do.  just  money whip them like you're the boss ... because last time I checked, you are.  boom.  mic drop.  buy it. own it.  don't forget the sun screen.

Believe me, spending the money doesn’t bother me. My style is pretty similar to yours in that I’ve only got one shot at this deal and we’re going to have a hell of a time with it. I’m just not going to pay the Corona premium for boats right now. I get maybe 2 months use out of it because the kids spend the summers at the beach. I’m probably going to sell the lake house at some point which may limit it further, but when you want to go out you want to go out. I should have kept what I had, but I got new boat fever right before the market went stupid. I’m looking at ‘07 SANTE 220’s that are selling for more than what I sold mine for 7 years ago. Worst case I’ll give it a couple months until people need to dump some toys and buy one then along with the bay boat I’m hunting for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Agreed. And they don’t break. All of those components were used all over the industry for years. They’re bulletproof.

Had an 89 American skier that I spent $0 on repairs over 6 years (except for a flat tire).

2001 83 nautique: $0 on repairs

77 Ski Tique: a belt I think.

That ‘77 tique was fast. 302 sitting in it.

My favorite boat is still the ‘93 PS205 I had right before I bought the X-1. Paid $10k for it, ran it hard and sold it for a nice profit. It pulled slaloms on the course, wakeboards, wakeskates, surfers, tubes, jumps, kneeboards, air chairs, and the occasional barefooter and never had one issue. I’ve had 2 of those along with a few others from that generation.

My favorite boat is still the ‘93 PS205 I had right before I bought the X-1. Paid $10k for it, ran it hard and sold it for a nice profit. It pulled slaloms on the course, wakeboards, wakeskates, surfers, tubes, jumps, kneeboards, air chairs, and the occasional barefooter and never had one issue. I’ve had 2 of those along with a few others from that generation.

Yep great boats. I’d love to have a 93 Stars and Stripes anniversary.

e49d7c750f19909d8692666c4d34ebf6.jpg

Here you go - 99 Sunsetter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 99 Sunsetter that looked very similar. Boat didn’t give me a lick of trouble in 600+ hours. Sold it in 2007 for a VLX. Now starting to think about selling the VLX for a newer model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I hate to speak on things like this, because, it's asking for trouble.  My sled just turned 11.  So far I've done engine and LU oil changes,  plugs 3x, tires 3x, and a set of axles (torsion to stock area was not coated well from get go), and had front seats upholstered this year.  They weren't terrible but definitely not ship shape.    Oh and replaced 1 headunit/faceplate and a fire extinguisher.      Pretty sure next year I'm going to go ahead and do the batteries whether they've failed by then or not,  after 12 years of duty.    Might go ahead and do the bilge pumps too, she still gets offshore duty and that's cheap insurance imo.  

*I realize boat is about to implode now.  

But in all seriousness, seems like ski/wake/surf boats have a hard life always loaded down and lots of stop and go.  Likely has a lot more to do with the repairs than "boats are unreliable".  

Damnit, can't believe I got suckered into this post. 

eta: forgot I replaced some of the og speakers (working) with a much nicer set I won as door prize in tournament.  

Edited by fattyflattie

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I hate to speak on things like this, because, it's asking for trouble.  My sled just turned 11.  So far I've done engine and LU oil changes,  plugs 3x, tires 3x, and a set of axles (torsion to stock area was not coated well from get go), and had front seats upholstered this year.  They weren't terrible but definitely not ship shape.    Oh and replaced 1 headunit/faceplate and a fire extinguisher.      Pretty sure next year I'm going to go ahead and do the batteries whether they've failed by then or not,  after 12 years of duty.    Might go ahead and do the bilge pumps too, she still gets offshore duty and that's cheap insurance imo.  

But in all seriousness, seems like ski/wake/surf boats have a hard life always loaded down and lots of stop and go.  Likely has a lot more to do with the repairs than "boats are unreliable".  

eta: forgot I replaced some of the og speakers (working) with a much nicer set I won as door prize in tournament.  

How many hours on that 11yo boat?

17 hours ago, Brew said:

Believe me, spending the money doesn’t bother me. My style is pretty similar to yours in that I’ve only got one shot at this deal and we’re going to have a hell of a time with it. I’m just not going to pay the Corona premium for boats right now. I get maybe 2 months use out of it because the kids spend the summers at the beach. I’m probably going to sell the lake house at some point which may limit it further, but when you want to go out you want to go out. I should have kept what I had, but I got new boat fever right before the market went stupid. I’m looking at ‘07 SANTE 220’s that are selling for more than what I sold mine for 7 years ago. Worst case I’ll give it a couple months until people need to dump some toys and buy one then along with the bay boat I’m hunting for.

I have to think there are going to be owners whose life circumstances have been fucked by the covid who are going to have to dump them.  Seems only logical.

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Pretty sure next year I'm going to go ahead and do the batteries whether they've failed by then or not,  after 12 years of duty.    Might go ahead and do the bilge pumps too, she still gets offshore duty and that's cheap insurance imo.  

12 years on batteries is pretty damn good.  Regular lead acid or AGMs?  I'm about to embark (actually, pay someone to embark) on a major electrical overhaul on my boat.  I will not speak on how much it is going to cost.  All new panel, battery switch, 50% rewire, install a bus bar that I haven't had, etc, etc, etc.  Also going to add one more house battery so I will have 3 group 24 AGMs for the house, and a separate starter battery.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have to think there are going to be owners whose life circumstances have been fucked by the covid who are going to have to dump them.  Seems only logical.

Counting on that plus the other option of those that jumped into boat ownership and decide it’s not for them or too much expense sitting in the garage for 6+ months a year.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

it was a good post if your plan was to have an excuse to need a new boat...

3 hours ago, davidg said:

How many hours on that 11yo boat?

Years '09-'13 was about 75/yr or so on average.   Year '14-'16 about 20/yr (overseas work/ 3 babies) year '17-'20  has been stacking quickly. I'll dig up the paperwork from the last "100 hour service" and see what the count was.  I need to check the GPS on total mileage, too.  I sold first GPS with over 7k miles logged, current GPS is about 5 yo now.  I need to get a current print out on the revs, as a bunch of them are idling offshore, and a there's quite a bit at 6000+ running on tournament days and Italian tuneup-ing.  iirc last print out had something like 100 hours <1000, 375 hours at 4k, and 25 hours >6k (rev limit is 6300, and I'm propped just above it)  with various hours at the other intervals.  I remember it felt like i was at 300-ish forever then they took off.   Of course you can cover a lot of water at 70 in not very many hours.  

But, my total load 90% of the time is 2 guys, 60 gallons of fuel, and very light amount of tackle.  No ballast bags, 6-8 people, tons of batteries/amps/speakers and ski equipment.   I'm not part of the lake/ski scene, so only experience is when I dip over to Lake Houston to sandbar with the family, but it looks like a lot of heavy hauling, lower rev boating (could be completely off here).  And I'm certain they are propped for it, of course.   I mean just dropping my tabs all the way down is crazy, cant imagine the surfplate/setup that @troph was detailing above must feel like. 

The other thing, which I figure is worse, is that my hours come in spurts.  I'll have a 3-5 day use, all day every day for  tournament practice or spell in the Wx offshore, but then not be able to use it again for 3 months.   I wish I could use it weekly/bi-weekly but just can't.  I remember one week in '16 (iirc) where we went offshore 3 days in a row.  That's 12-13 hours straight running (lots of idle - key only gets cycled at the dock) every single day.  So my shit is all funky and obviously anecdotal.   The envy for @troph, @Dry Elbows @Sbbruinand @Pescado_Rojo is terribly unpalatable.

It has been maintained with an open checkbook, and is a well built boat; it was spec'd to order with mostly high grade components from the get go.  Stored in barn since day 1.  Shakedown trips to the river if it was sitting too long.  Detailed couple times a year.  Full wash and dry after each trip. 

I have a feeling the age is going to catch it before actual use will, as things just get old.  Fortunately, it's a purpose built saltwater boat, ie: not much to replace.   Boat is definitely underused, but considering the years out of the country, and having all the babies, I feel OK with the hours logged. I can't remember which year, but there was one year where I didn't step foot on it.  This will likely be a down year, 2 of the tournaments I hit every year have been postponed and cancelled.  That's 6-7 days of running gone.  My girls are getting old enough to enjoy it, so I've been adding hours just taking them to play in the water.  

But believe me, there is a long list of things I look at and wonder how they are still working - Batts, onboard charger, livewell aeration pumps, livewell and bilge pumps.  Typing this reminded me, I had forgotten a repair earlier.  I had a seal go out on the hyrdo steering  cylinder about 5-6 years in, probably need to keep an eye on that.  But yeah, if the JP pump or tt went out tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me at all.   Assuming nothing breaks the rest of this season, I think I'm going to upgrade from 14" to 15" tires next year.  Seems like 15" is where you start to get some better trailer tire options, and we were already needing to do tires next year (change every 3 years even if it doesn't move).   So new tires and rims, and potentially new upholstery on the drive seating to match the new console seating.  Wife also wants a stern bench seat.  Chart is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.  $$$$ FML. 

Curious to what is considered "well used" and "high hours" on a ski/wake type boat.  For my type of boat, 500 hours is decently well  used, and creeping towards 1k is definitely up there, even though there are guys that stay offshore for 3-4k hours, and USCG Honda's that have been logged in at 8-10k hours.  There's obviously a time factor, but I'm talking before overhaul or anything drastic expected to be replaced.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Regular lead acid or AGMs?  Also going to add one more house battery so I will have 3 group 24 AGMs for the house, and a separate starter battery.   

Old school Optimas.  2x31's and 2x34's.   I've had 3 sets of them in my truck since then.  Going back with Odysea's when the time comes.  I figure if they are good enough for Freemans, YF, and Invincible, they are good enough for me.  I don't have the stomach to drop 5k+ on lithium's,  though it would be nice to realize the weight savings (speed).   I think having a minimal stereo system and turning the chart off when stopped goes a long way.  I've got an onboard charger but no trickle setup, usually plug it in for a day, 1x a month.  They definitely aren't 100%, but I need them to start, run the JP a dozen times, and run a chart.  We ran the stereo for ~5 hours each time out last week on a single battery (selected 1 of 2) and it started up and was ready to go immediately.  I took the 31's out a year or two ago since the TM never gets used anymore.  Would like to relocate the entire setup from under console to stern bilge, but it's not the best idea for the times we do venture into the Gulf.  I assume yours would be taking one helluva load, so very much apples to oranges here.  I've got buddies with big time sound systems and lightbars and all kinds of shit and they run thru them like crazy.   I've read they moved plants years ago, don't know if anything has changed.  I hope for 5 years tbh, and anything past that is gravy.   FWIW I do not have an incandescent light on the boat, rather pedestrian sound system, smaller chart, and only JP and TT.  

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

it was a good post if your plan was to have an excuse to need a new boat...

Nope.  I'm hoping to get to 1k hours, then maybe Merc will have a 350 in the new V8's.    The 300 would be nice, if something happened tomorrow,  and the 450 still a bit too rich for my blood (and this hull is limited to mid-70's).  350 would fit very nicely, and save me 50# off the stern.   But in the real world, I have 0 use for a motor that breaks down.  If this one starts to have issues before then, it'll be on the next thing smoking.  This Zuk has never let me down, but it hasn't bolstered confidence either.  I always had Yamaha's previously, and would have on this rig had the SHO been released a year earlier.  I dont know how to explain it, really.  It's been fine, I guess.  Definitely won't be what goes on next time. 

Bigger issue than the motor would be when it does come time, I'm going to do a console refit to get rid of all analog gauges, stereo faceplate, and go to a livorsi style control.  Partner has a hard on for the bocatec switches, so there will be a new panel there.  Could stand to lose another 3" in height on console as well.  So it'll very quickly turn into a real project.  More HP takes more fuel (upgraded tank?), no analog gauges means 2x12" screens, and then it just adds on and on.  So, here's to reaching 1k without any real issue.  I've come to the conclusion it might be easiest to get Simmons to completely rig a new console, and plop it down for me (and I'll have it glassed in somewhere).  

You repowered iirc?   My partner wants to get offshore (31-33 CC), and I am trending towards technical skiffs, so I guess in the meantime the current ride will reap the benefits of the stalemate.  I love my boat, but similarly rigged, they've increased about 65% in cost from when I bought.  I don't know if I love it for that much.  So re-power when needed is the math that's working, unless something drastically changes with my fishing style/locations.

@fattyflattie 

You repowered iirc?   My partner wants to get offshore (31-33 CC), and I am trending towards technical skiffs, so I guess in the meantime the current ride will reap the benefits of the stalemate.  I love my boat, but similarly rigged, they've increased about 65% in cost from when I bought.  I don't know if I love it for that much.  So re-power when needed is the math that's working, unless something drastically changes with my fishing style/locations.

I did. In 2017 I replaced the 2 stroke Yamaha C40 with a Tohatsu MFS50 4stroke. The second bolded part is why I repowered instead of replacing the boat. I paid $16K in 2003 for my '99 Hell's Bay Whipray, which is about what it cost new in 1999. (They had already started raising price every year from the intro price in 98/99). An identically rigged Whipray new in 2017 with a Yamaha F40 instead of the 2 smoker was $48,000. I priced out a East Cape Lostman with a Suzuki 60, and it was $54,000 with all my "dream boat" options, and about $45K base boat plus tunnel and kevlar upgrades. A new Hell's Bay Professional was about the same price, and HB wasn't willing to make the few changes I requested to make it work better in Texas. I dropped $10K on a repower and a new Coast Line trailer, then rewired the boat myself and added a 12V Minn Kota with Co-Pilot and a Simrad Go7, and I'm still at half the cost of a new one all in. Hell, I had the Whip sold for $18K with the blown Yamaha and rust bucket galvanized trailer. I'd love a new Lostman that would be 2' longer, with a center console and more power, but really for the fishing I'm doing, the lighter the better, and skiff hulls aren't built for speed anyway. With the 50 and a heavily cupped Jack Foreman 3 blade I can barely sniff 30, but I can jump it up sitting on the bottom in 6 inches if I need to. 

I've been pretty happy with the Tohatsu so far. I broke a prop shaft about a year ago, but Forrest had me fixed under warranty in less than a week. I wish it was 50 lbs lighter, but otherwise it's been great. We fished this past Saturday and Sunday and ran from Charlie's to Cedar Lake both days and burned a total of 4 gallons of gas. 

• Like 1

Wakeboard boats are all over the board on hours especially depending on where you live. The 06 I sold had 290 hours on it. I’m pretty stuck on being under 500 hours (would prefer 300 or so) on the next one I buy and am figuring on a 2010 or somewhere around there. I see a good number of newer ones that are at 50-100 a year, very few over 100, and quite a few under a 50 average. Wake boats do a lot of sitting. With the hours comes a whole lot of wear and tear on the interior for each hour used. Most over 500 hours are in need of interior work at that point while the rest of the boat is still in pretty good shape.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I can see that, especially with as many people as you see crowded in them. Doesn’t take long for 5-6 people to tear up upholstery. Good to see 50-100/yr is the norm. About the same as fishing boats around here, tbh.   

Wakeboats like a lot of boats typically have a large sliding scale. Year 1 is the biggest usage number and then it steadily falls off. Second owners restart the sliding scale again. One owner 6-8 year boats are the best buys a lot of times. A lot of weekends we would put 3-5 hours out of 2 full days on the boat just because of the amount of sitting around we did.

If I can find an all white boat with a gray interior, I may just buy the damn thing sight unseen. I have looked at so many wild ass colored boats that people’s tastes are starting to concern me. I found a steal of a deal on a Mastercraft in MO a couple of weeks ago. The only problem was you had to be in love with the Incredible Hulk to own it as the boat was black with a complete neon green interior. I never even knew that color was an option for seat vinyl.

17 minutes ago, Brew said:

Wakeboats like a lot of boats typically have a large sliding scale. Year 1 is the biggest usage number and then it steadily falls off. Second owners restart the sliding scale again. One owner 6-8 year boats are the best buys a lot of times. A lot of weekends we would put 3-5 hours out of 2 full days on the boat just because of the amount of sitting around we did.

If I can find an all white boat with a gray interior, I may just buy the damn thing sight unseen. I have looked at so many wild ass colored boats that people’s tastes are starting to concern me. I found a steal of a deal on a Mastercraft in MO a couple of weeks ago. The only problem was you had to be in love with the Incredible Hulk to own it as the boat was black with a complete neon green interior. I never even knew that color was an option for seat vinyl.

The current owner paid extra for that.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, crash_davis said:

Anti siphon valve?

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

21 hours ago, Brew said:

Counting on that plus the other option of those that jumped into boat ownership and decide it’s not for them or too much expense sitting in the garage for 6+ months a year.

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm guessing there's going to be ALOT of this, if we ever get back to normal.

Yep, I’m very well aware that I bought high and will most likely sell low at some point.  Pretty much the story of my life when it comes to toys.  But, it’s saving our sanity so hopefully worth every penny.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yep, I’m very well aware that I bought high and will most likely sell low at some point.  Pretty much the story of my life when it comes to toys.  But, it’s saving our sanity so hopefully worth every penny.

Most every boat is a bad financial investment. You accept that on the front end and move on with enjoying it which is the only part that matters. There have been a lot of new boats sold this year which runs counter to the economic issues going on. It will lead to some number getting dumped on the market (especially in the wake boat category in cooler areas) this fall as people look at that note payment getting made while the boat sits until April/May/June. 

I’m in a little different circumstance of constantly rotating boats every couple of years, so I’m always watching the used market and buying/selling on a whim sometimes. The used market really jumped early summer although it has started to settle more recently with ‘21’s hitting the lots and ‘20’s getting discounted further.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Learn me good on the anti siphon valve. What is it and how would that affect what I am experiencing?

Much obliged in advanced.

Many moons ago, I was having ridiculous intermittent issues with a Yamaha F150.  The dealer took out the anti siphon valve and fixed it forever.  Here's a little something I found to better explain it.

QUESTION: My new boat had many strange problems. One day it would run great. The next day it would act like it was out of gas and shut off, but it would start up and run just fine. The dealer replaced the anti-siphon valve, and everything runs just fine. What does this part do?

ANSWER: The anti-siphon valve is for safety. On many boats, if the fuel line between the engine and the fuel tank breaks, the gas could be siphoned into the bilge.

To prevent this, an automatic spring-loaded valve is in the fitting that leaves the fuel tank. The valve is closed when the engine isn't running; open when the engine is running, allowing fuel to pass to the engine.

Problems could arise if the valve is defective or has become contaminated with trash. Either way, with a sticky valve the engine will do plenty of strange things because the fuel is being eliminated.

• Like 1

Thanks. Since I can't reliably replicate the issue other than just running it often, I'm going to have someone replace the anti-siphon valve and the fuel pump. Can't be the plugs because this shit started happening at the end of last season and we just had the plugs changed at the beginning of this season.

Break Out Another Thousand.

Fuel filter and bad gas/water could also be an issue. Does it do it more at certain fuel levels or is it all over the board? Have you noticed at random RPM levels or does it kick in at higher RPM’s primarily? Is it an outboard where you can easily hook up an auxiliary fuel tank and run it and see if it does it?

I may have missed it, but what kind of boat and motor? Is it carbureted or fuel injected? If it has newer plugs, I would pull one and see if they are clean still. Check all plug wires and connections at the same time.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

Best day of a boat owners life? That day she’s Ms Cranky Britches and then gets out on the water when everyone else is leaving, rides a few waves then rides back after dark, clear skies, dark skies, smooth water, man the water is more my home than any dwelling I’ve ever known. Turns my mood like nothing else I know. The day I sell my last boat is gonna be a shitty day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2