Jump to content
Armybrat

Global Entry application

Recommended Posts

Just heard about this program to expedite passage through customs while entering foreign countries.

we are flying to Heathrow in 3 weeks, so is it too late to apply for the GE card? Is it worth the $100 fee for each applicant?

We have no idea how long the process is - getting a GE pass, and going through customs with or without that status

Any info would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely worth the fee as you also get TSA Precheck when you do Global Entry.

Don't know about the timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three weeks is too tight since you'll have to schedule the in-person interviews at Bergstrom. (IIRC, you're in Central Texas somewhere).  And ABIA to this day, it's getting better, but only has a couple of days of appts. each week.  Check today, if you can get in the whole group comfortably before week's end, do the whole application.  If not, I really don't think you'll make the cutoff.  If it's just for this one trip to London, and it's already in under three weeks.....you may just consider biting the bullet and doing the regular customs line.  It can get long at ABIA during the summer months with non-business travelers, but then again, while there's lot of bodies in the lines...many of them will go up to the counter in groups of 4 or 5 instead of one at a time.  So there's that.  

I'd check today online, even call the downstairs office directly.  And see if you can squeeze in the interviews soon after you've done the digital application.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify but GE is really helpful when you come back into the states. I don't think it helps any getting into other countries. As stated you also get TSA PreCheck which helps when leaving on your flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global Entry (and more importantly, pre-check) is the best $100 I have ever given to the government.

Just to clarify...

Quote

Just heard about this program to expedite passage through customs while entering foreign countries.

While I believe there are some international airports that do a reciprocal "fast track" deal that allows you as a Global Entry member to use their country's fast lane, the Global Entry program is primarily to expedite your passage through customs when returning home.

As stated above, however, the real value is that you get pre-check and you can blow through any domestic security lanes much more quickly via the PreCheck line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember though, going forward, you still have to manually enter your Known Traveler ID# on your reservations.  The GOES card itself is handy too at other airports outside your home state, because for some reason TSA agents feel the need to study every corner and both sides of your TXDL in New York or Denver or Miami...but the vast majority of them just glance at your GOES card as you're handing it to them and are already waiving you thru...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Just heard about this program to expedite passage through customs while entering foreign countries.

we are flying to Heathrow in 3 weeks, so is it too late to apply for the GE card? Is it worth the $100 fee for each applicant?

We have no idea how long the process is - getting a GE pass, and going through customs with or without that status

Any info would be appreciated.

it's for coming home, not entering other countries. Do it, you should also get the e-passport app. it also lets you skip the ICE line when you return. Also: you will be able to get it in 3 weeks. You submit the application, its get put into a Queue and you go for an interview and then it takes about two weeks to get your card. it lasts three or five years so some such

the card is a nice novelty and extra Govt ID, it's the known traveler # that you want. this gets you the TSA PRE and if you use Amex Platinum they will reimburse you. What Steamship are you taking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Three weeks is too tight since you'll have to schedule the in-person interviews at Bergstrom. (IIRC, you're in Central Texas somewhere).  And ABIA to this day, it's getting better, but only has a couple of days of appts. each week.  Check today, if you can get in the whole group comfortably before week's end, do the whole application.  If not, I really don't think you'll make the cutoff.  If it's just for this one trip to London, and it's already in under three weeks.....you may just consider biting the bullet and doing the regular customs line.  It can get long at ABIA during the summer months with non-business travelers, but then again, while there's lot of bodies in the lines...many of them will go up to the counter in groups of 4 or 5 instead of one at a time.  So there's that.  

I'd check today online, even call the downstairs office directly.  And see if you can squeeze in the interviews soon after you've done the digital application.  

 

2 hours ago, 84Horn said:

Just to clarify but GE is really helpful when you come back into the states. I don't think it helps any getting into other countries. As stated you also get TSA PreCheck which helps when leaving on your flights.

These.  My daughter did it recently, but it took a good bit of time to get an interview.  After that, she got her card pretty quickly.  Didn't help getting INTO Germany, but will help on her return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you did have enough time to get it, it would be of limited use if you are flying BA.  They aren't part of the TSA-Pre program so you will only get the fast customs clearance benefit when you land back here.  And if their baggage is regularly as slow as it is when we got back in April, there's no point in being in a hurry.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Your mom had global entry last night.

And it only took a couple of minutes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interview time itself isn't probably an issue for him at this point.  It's which airport office can squeeze in his entire travel party by the end of this week?  15 versus 25 minutes isn't a huge deal.  It's who can fit him in now.  Their scheduling calendars are a beating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple things to note here:

-BA does have TSA Pre as of May.

-As others have noted, it will be of no help on the LHR end. It won’t really help anywhere in Europe.

-If you do get global entry, you are eligible for an APEC card which is essentially the GE of Asia, Australia, and Canada, but only if you are a BUSINESS traveler. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GE is not accepted by other countries. You have to apply individually for any expedited entry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, elfenix said:

Check your credit cards, one may offer GE or Precheck as a benefit.

Yeah Capital One Venture Rewards just started in June...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walking by the poors that don't have GE is a great feeling. Definitely get it. 3 weeks is tight though. I got mine done at DFW. They were completely booked for 6 weeks when I checked at night but had a bunch of spots open up when I checked again in the morning so be diligent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next furrin' trip is next summer to the Caribbean.  I have Pre but not GE.  I'm assuming pre isn't enough, GE would be needed to go to the islands, correct?
Or is a bag of coke and a wink at the security guy the same thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you mean there? Certain Caribbean destinations don't even require a passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, elfenix said:

Check your credit cards, one may offer GE or Precheck as a benefit. 

 

9 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah Capital One Venture Rewards just started in June...

 

21 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:


Does this mean you have to book the ticket with that CC? I have precheck but wife doesn’t and we are flying to NO in a month. 

 

Woah woah woah here paint(s). Let's not get the thread off track here with bad information on something like this.

 

Credit Cards DO NOT GIVE you precheck or Global Entry. They ONLY reimburse you for the application fee.

 

Global Entry is an expedited entry program when entering the US. It does no good leaving, or entering another country on its own.

It's a $100, non-refundable, application fee. You apply and pay, wait for initial approval (could be days, could be weeks), and then you must do an in-person interview. Getting an appointment can be a severe pain in the ass, and could take many months before you get a spot.

 

Brat, I'm sorry to say that realistically, you probably will not make it in such a short time. While there is a very slim chance, too many thing would have to go right for it to do so.

 

Is Global Entry worth it? Fuck yes it is. But you had better have your nose clean, no arrests, no DUI's, etc. They do a very thorough background check on you, and if you omit something, they will know and deny you at the interview.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brat, I’m guessing that you’re not the most savvy when it comes to tech, but give the following a look. It’s not Global Entry, but it could speed up your arrival back in the US a little bit. 
 
It’s Mobile Passport Control.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control
 
 

Do they make an app for a Jitterbug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kevwun said:

If you did have enough time to get it, it would be of limited use if you are flying BA.  They aren't part of the TSA-Pre program so you will only get the fast customs clearance benefit when you land back here.  And if their baggage is regularly as slow as it is when we got back in April, there's no point in being in a hurry.

That's my experience.  It is no use at ABIA.  Irrespective of whether you have GE or not, you clear passport control long before your bags arrive.  And since there's no wait to go through customs once you have your bags in hand, you don't get any real advantage to having GE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point,  GE is markedly more worth it when you return through somewhere like Liberty, Intercontinental, or O'Hare.  

And yes, whoever said you can get GE through your credit card.  There is no way that's even remotely true.  State and DHS aren't conceding our ports of entry to the fucking Capital One Cafe people anytime soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:


Does this mean you have to book the ticket with that CC? I have precheck but wife doesn’t and we are flying to NO in a month.

No. You can buy the GE or PreCheck using their card and they'll credit your account in that amount.

Edited by wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good point,  GE is markedly more worth it when you return through somewhere like Liberty, Intercontinental, or O'Hare.  

And yes, whoever said you can get GE through your credit card.  There is no way that's even remotely true.  State and DHS aren't conceding our ports of entry to the fucking Capital One Cafe people anytime soon.  

Yeah, dunno about anyone else, but that's not what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wood said:

No. You can buy the GE or PreCheck using their card and they'll credit your account in that amount.

Right--you pay the application fee online with your Amex Platinum.  Amex then credits your account the $100.  But DHS still has to approve your application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Good point,  GE is markedly more worth it when you return through somewhere like Liberty, Intercontinental, or O'Hare.  
And yes, whoever said you can get GE through your credit card.  There is no way that's even remotely true.  State and DHS aren't conceding our ports of entry to the fucking Capital One Cafe people anytime soon.  


Sorry I didn't type out "application fee reimbursement," which would have been apparent as soon as someone looked up the benefit package for their card. Which is what anyone curious would have done next, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elfenix said:


 

 


Sorry I didn't type out "application fee reimbursement," which would have been apparent as soon as someone looked up the benefit package for their card. Which is what anyone curious would have done next, anyway.

 

Yeah, I got it.  Was just doing a cursory scan of the posts.  You weren't completely wrong.  Just trying to expedite dozens of posts to one concise suggestion for our friend ArmyBrat.  The guy only has a few hours left to live, he shouldn't be wasting time reading the fine print on credit card applications    ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Is Global Entry worth it? Fuck yes it is. But you had better have your nose clean, no arrests, no DUI's, etc. They do a very thorough background check on you, and if you omit something, they will know and deny you at the interview.

Worth every penny, especially for the TSA as others have said.

DUI when I was 19.  Applied and approved for Global Entry and when I was 31.  Obviously I disclosed it in my application, so perhaps thunderlounge was just saying to be honest and not omit anything.  That was my last and only real offense, so I don't know where they draw the line.  The first time I used it they pulled me aside (which I was told might happen), but after a quick conversation I went through and I've never had any sort of issue since.

It is true that if you have a checked bag you might end up having to wait for that anyway, but that's not an issue if just carrying on and I'd rather walk around the baggage area than wait in line with the normals any day of the week.  In some airports there are separate customs lines for GE as well.

Lastly, you do not have to enter your known traveler # every time, and the only time you use the card is if you're driving back into the country.  Global Entry is attached to your passport electronically.  Go to kiosk and scan passport.  You DO have to enter your known traveler # with each airline for TSA precheck.  Assuming you have a login/profile with the airline (which you should), you can either proactively go in and add it to your profile or add it whenever you book your next flight.  After that it's automatically attached to all your reservations.

I did it almost 4 years ago (think I have to renew soon), so I don't remember how long the processing took.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I got it.  Was just doing a cursory scan of the posts.  You weren't completely wrong.  Just trying to expedite dozens of posts to one concise suggestion for our friend ArmyBrat.  The guy only has a few hours left to live, he shouldn't be wasting time reading the fine print on credit card applications    ;)

Meh ... AB will be here long after the rest of us mere mortals are long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wood said:

Meh ... AB will be here long after the rest of us mere mortals are long gone.

 

True enough. He outlasted the glory of Rome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had GE for years, on my 2nd renewal. The speed with which you are through border control at IAH is a thing of beauty. On a recent trip from Munich I was off the plane, through border control and in my car in 40 mins.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really nice there, especially when a few planes arrive at the same time and the entire line area in the middle is full of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gecko said:

Have had GE for years, on my 2nd renewal. The speed with which you are through border control at IAH is a thing of beauty. On a recent trip from Munich I was off the plane, through border control and in my car in 40 mins.

 

 

That's how I feel about it. Except for one overzealous CBP guy who questioned everyone in the GE line for a few minutes at a time.

I didn't sign up to get interrogated about my trip to Colombia, I signed up to breeze through because I am not a security risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gecko said:

Have had GE for years, on my 2nd renewal. The speed with which you are through border control at IAH is a thing of beauty. On a recent trip from Munich I was off the plane, through border control and in my car in 40 mins.

 

 

I'm about due to re-up my GE. How much of a pain in the ass is the renewal? Do you have to go in for another interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scheduling for this thing sucks.  The closest appointment for months is San Antonio, nothing in Austin.   What a racket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What is the interview about if they have already done a background check and applicant has a passport?
I think I was fingerprinted (don't clearly remember, and they had mine from Precheck anyway), and they do ask questions about where you've been if any of them are interesting, for lack of a better word (asked me about Morocco). Gave me a flier and then I left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, elfenix said:
2 hours ago, woohorn said:
What is the interview about if they have already done a background check and applicant has a passport?

I think I was fingerprinted (don't clearly remember, and they had mine from Precheck anyway), and they do ask questions about where you've been if any of them are interesting, for lack of a better word (asked me about Morocco). Gave me a flier and then I left.

Pretty much this. I seem to remember they gave me my GE number or Known Traveler ID or whatever, and said I could add it to my airline info so I can get precheck right away, and the GE card would be in the mail in a few weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...