Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

The source was a Star Wars YouTube channel with 80,000 something subs. For fucks sake this same YouTuber has a video called “Lucas hates Disney Star Wars”. There are well over 5 other Star Wars channels that post videos on these kinds of topics, whom are more credible and none have even said a word about this rumor. While I believe the sequels have been a shit show, this rumor is just idiotic based off the factual information we know about the relationship between Kennedy and Lucas. 

then you guys really do not want to read the plot leaks. if the leaks are true, i'll be interested to read all of your thoughts after the movie comes out.

i read the GOT season 8 leaks. it was so bad everyone thought it was a joke, me included. joke was on us, leaks were true. hoping for everyone's case, these leaks are fake.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

then you guys really do not want to read the plot leaks. if the leaks are true, i'll be interested to read all of your thoughts after the movie comes out.

i read the GOT season 8 leaks. it was so bad everyone thought it was a joke, me included. joke was on us, leaks were true. hoping for everyone's case, these leaks are fake.

I agree on the GOT plot leaks but at least those had some credibility to them. r/StarWarsLeaks has probably the best plot leaks out there when it comes to credibility and when a plausible “leak” arises, there is a quality discussion about it. The one rumor you are talking about really doesn’t have any of that. 

there were a few leaks, or fan fiction really, on GOT season 8. the one that ended up being true was dismissed as a joke because bran "won" the throne, among shit that no one could believe. it was dismissed outright. 

my point is, this may be true, it may not. but it if it's true, it'll be fun reading the reviews.

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

Of course but the internet needs clickbaits, likes and subscribes. So invent shit and people will run with it.

right, like how the leaks from TLJ proved to be way off base.  or maybe not...

https://medium.com/star-wars-fans-against-trump/star-wars-the-last-jedi-this-is-the-leaked-plot-multiple-sources-say-a9fa880736ae

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Again, specifically talking about these bullshit rumors you posted about test screenings that no one else is running with except for some douche on YouTube who does videos in a mask.

I am 100% certain that if ROS is 180 minutes, you could grab 4 episodes of the Mandalorian, and those 150 minutes or so of The Mandalorian will be better.  

You do know movies are routinely screened for audience reactions prior to release to see if they need to reshoot. This is standard practice. You also know that many movies leaks come from said screenings. You also know that no big news source will print rumors/leaks for fear of pissing off the studios which would prevent them from future access.

The detailed leaks that I read matched some things from the supposed screenings but went into much more detail. Where  do you think the leaks from that article about TLJ leaks came from?

There internet is more often right than not about leaks and shitty movies.

5 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Hamill's tweet is clearly a joke.  He's sarcastic as fuck on twitter and everywhere.

Not saying that means he loved TLJ or the one coming up isn't going to suck, but Hamill's not out to sabotage the franchise.

This.  Hamill was obviously trolling the guy. Basically saying he didn't HAVE TO buy those tickets...he could have just waited if he's that worried about it.

He wasn't saying whether the movie sucked or not.

44 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

You do know movies are routinely screened for audience reactions prior to release to see if they need to reshoot. This is standard practice. You also know that many movies leaks come from said screenings. You also know that no big news source will print rumors/leaks for fear of pissing off the studios which would prevent them from future access.

The detailed leaks that I read matched some things from the supposed screenings but went into much more detail. Where  do you think the leaks from that article about TLJ leaks came from?

Hey, hopefully it will suck the way you want it to, crash. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The link you copied about the TLJ was posted on December 13th, two days before the movie’s release. So a leak spot on like that one is highly likely. I also don’t believe any other Star Wars guys would hold information from us because they honestly have no media credentials to see an early screening. Kinda like the ROS leaker you posted, he doesn’t have any credibility.

Just take a look at what his “sources” are saying. The CEO of Disney supposedly hired George Lucas to do a secret since the others fell through. First, that’s not even possible due to time and money. Secondly, awhile back I believe there was a big time share holder meeting where ppl got to see a snippet of the movie. A dude literally went on twitter and talked about everything he saw in the meeting. Now, how in the fuck has no said anything this whole time about Lucas doing a secret Skywalker film? That’s a pretty big deal. I believe in the reshoots and there probably was negative feedback since JJ made a handful of different endings and seeing which ones might fit better is a process. This leak, imo, is taking things way out of context and adding his own bullshit to get clicks. 

On 11/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, mdmost said:

Again, specifically talking about these bullshit rumors you posted about test screenings that no one else is running with except for some douche on YouTube who does videos in a mask.

Yeah - and I may be wrong here, but since when do they EVER do test screenings of Star Wars movies?  The damn things are so top secret that they literally withhold the screenplay from actors who don't need to know the whole plot and they watermark all copies that are given out to specific people so they can track any leaks.

But they are going to invite a couple hundred random jabronis to view the rough cut of the film?  Sure.

The Mandalorian actually got me excited for Episode IX, so I decided to watch TLJ in the hopes that it isn't as bad as I remembered.  It is.  And now I'm not sure whether or not I'm excited for IX.  Can they postpone IX for a year and let Filoni and Favreau take over?  

This would be nice but at this point the best we can hope for is for IX to come out and die and hopefully not affect canon too much, and then let more good talent build on the world going forward. No more Skywalker stuff.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah - and I may be wrong here, but since when do they EVER do test screenings of Star Wars movies?  The damn things are so top secret that they literally withhold the screenplay from actors who don't need to know the whole plot and they watermark all copies that are given out to specific people so they can track any leaks.

But they are going to invite a couple hundred random jabronis to view the rough cut of the film?  Sure.

lulz. a few images just leaked yesterday which corroborates a portion of the leak. people who attend screenings have to sign NDAs. but people being people, all it takes is one person to tell a friend. as many screenings as this has had, i'm sure more than a few have told friends. i purposely have avoided reading anymore leaks especially after the lucas edit.

anyway, you can choose what you want to believe. the movie is what it is now. i'm interested in watching just to see how/if abrams can salvage the steaming pile of shit that johnson left him. i sure the f won't be paying to watch it tho.

fucking lulz. and herein lies the problem.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/making-a-star-wars-film-is-difficult-due-to-a-lack-of-comics-and-novels-says-lucasfilm-president-a171739

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy touched on the difficulties that have been encountered thus far while making Episode VII and VIII and her answer will likely make the Star Wars fandom highly irritable.

"Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does. You start by talking to filmmakers who you think exhibit the sensibilities that you’re looking for."

Apparently, D&D must've attended the same How to Write Scripts 101 class that she taught.

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/making-a-star-wars-film-is-difficult-due-to-a-lack-of-comics-and-novels-says-lucasfilm-president-a171739

Apparently, D&D must've attended the same How to Write Scripts 101 class that she taught.

Don't knock it.  Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V got me through Western Lit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

There are almost 400 novels, and 1000s of comic books...wtf is she talking about?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This whole process has Disney has been pretty amazing when you think about it.  They put some lady who wasn’t a fan of Star Wars in charge of the franchise.  They made a multi billion dollar value trilogy + ancillary movies without any kind of overarching plan for how they would fit together.  They hired some guy who wasn’t a fan of Star Wars to write and direct the 2nd movie himself, just whatever he wanted.  

This is the same studio that did the opposite of all of that with the Marvel franchise and saw firsthand how well it worked.  

They are really lucky George Lucas set the bar so low with the prequel trilogy.

It's like they took a cue from Bellmont Hall.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This whole process has Disney has been pretty amazing when you think about it.  They put some lady who wasn’t a fan of Star Wars in charge of the franchise.  They made a multi billion dollar value trilogy + ancillary movies without any kind of overarching plan for how they would fit together.  They hired some guy who wasn’t a fan of Star Wars to write and direct the 2nd movie himself, just whatever he wanted.  

This is the same studio that did the opposite of all of that with the Marvel franchise and saw firsthand how well it worked.  

They are really lucky George Lucas set the bar so low with the prequel trilogy.

The maddening thing about is is that they had the prequel trilogy as a perfect example of how to NOT approach a planned trilogy.  Lucas had a vague idea of where he needed to go (Anakin turns to the dark side), but then went and just started from scratch in each film instead of creating a 3-movie narrative arc and then filling in the details.  So after the first movie, each subsequent movie had to fill in the narrative loopholes and inconsistencies not only with the previous prequel films, but with the established Star Wars saga.

I thought for sure with the new trilogy that they would actually plan out a 3-movie narrative arc, especially since the MCU was already in full swing and gave them a blueprint.

But instead they did the same damn thing Lucas did in the prequels, except without even a vague notion of where they needed to go, i.e. Anakin turning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well, it's not like IV, V, and VI were planned out in advance either.

I was about to say, that Lucas did it is somewhat understandable.  He had rolled on winging it around a loose narrative the first time to great success.  But yea the fact that Disney KNEW how that went over the second time around it is somewhat dumbfounding that they didn't go a different direction.  

14 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Marvel's success and roadmap was happening before Disney bought them.  Marvel wasn't even fully integrated with Disney until 2015 (they were purchased in 2009), and even then, Disney made sure that Kevin Feige reported to Disney's Chairman and not the Marvel CEO.

And therein lies the rub - Disney bought Star Wars three years after they bought Marvel - they knew how this shit worked.  All they had to do is find a competent and proven fanboy or two, which they had with Filoni, and make them the equivalent of Kevin Feige, and have them skip reporting to Kathleen Kennedy, and instead report to the Disney Chairman.  And Filoni was Lucas's protege.

Kathleen Kennedy on the other hand...she's been around.  It's not that she's not a fan, it's just that she's a movie studio exec - she was a producer on some of the Indiana Jones movies, she was an actual producer on Jurassic Park, E.T., and a shitload of other movies, with Academy Award nominations on her resume.  She's been tight with Spielberg, and therefore Lucas, since the late 70s (starting with Raiders of the Lost Ark I believe).

Unfortunately, Lucas and Spielberg were very comfortable with her, and rather than toss her aside when they bought Star Wars, Disney let her remain, but it sounds like her power is being reduced even further.

18 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Kevin j Anderson is no slouch either. He did good work finishing Dune. I can’t pick a favorite between Thrawn and Jedi Academy trilogies.  

He has something like over 120 novels published, amazingly prolific.

He and Zahn would have been solid hires to put something together for a sequel trilogy.

Or Filoni and Co.