Iconic Debut Albums

PencilPusher

Commenting in the Ranking all 131 Van Halen songs thread, I raised the question about iconic debut albums, arguing that Van Halen I was on that list. So lets hear from you about what you think some iconic debut albums were. Besides Van Halen I, I also threw out the Cars debut album, "The Cars", which could function not only as their greatest hits album but also really encapsulated the American new wave sound of the late 70's.

What say y'all and also share why you think it qualifies. 

My original answers from the VH thread were Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.

Also:

Rage Against the Machine
Talking Heads
Metallica
The Doors
Guns N’ Roses
Arctic Monkeys
The Killers (Mr. Brightside has been on the top 100 U.K. chart at least once each year since 2004)
The xx
MGMT
The Strokes
Wu Tang
Kanye
N.W.A.
Sex Pistols (heh)

Along the lines of the Eagles, John Prine's debut was strong as well.  Even if you just include Angel from Montgomery, Sam Stone, and Paradise.  And a bunch more classics.

Bruce Robison's first one wasn't big by debut standards, but resulted in a bunch of hits by others:  Angry All The Time (Tim McGraw No.1); Travellin' Soldier (DIxie Chicks No. 1); Not Forgotten You and Take It All Out on You (Kelly Willis); Lonely Too (Included on Leeann Womack's "I Hope You Dance" album)

17 hours ago, AustinMT said:

980x.jpg

I listen to the comedy channel on sirius from time time. Sometimes they play weird al shit. I never paid attention to him back in the day but I'll be damned if they don't crack me up every time now. Just yesterday I heard Taco Grande. Dude is a seriously underrated talent.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:12 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Great record, shitty recording.  I love it.

I like its shittiness. Adds to the charm of capturing them live imo. I mean wasn't it just supposed to be a demo? Sure it could be more polished, but the important parts come through loud and clear - the guitar tone, stevies chops, and the bands energy and tightness. Some of that might get lost with more polish.

33 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I listen to the comedy channel on sirius from time time. Sometimes they play weird al shit. I never paid attention to him back in the day but I'll be damned if they don't crack me up every time now. Just yesterday I heard Taco Grande. Dude is a seriously underrated talent.

I remember listening to The Dr. Demento Show on the radio around the time that Al got famous. There were plenty of parody artists--Al took it to the next level.

I know we've all seen this a thousand times, but what strikes me is not only the youthful naivete of this performance, but the utter professionalism.  I mean, it's not a BIG deal to have your guitar in tune, but for all of us who have played Strats and tried to bend even a few notes, Jesus Christ it can be a beating.  Never mind the whammy bar.

And then Double Trouble . . . I ALWAYS thought Tommy Shannon was vastly underrated as a bass player.  Just a massive tone, and dead nuts on with Chris Layton.  Not a wasted note.  Everything was to serve the song.  And Layton, man he gets some shit but he was SOLID and unwavering.  What a totally pro rhythm section doing what it took to back up what was clearly one of the most transcendent guitarists of our time, never mind a singer and songwriter.

Damn.

• Like 2

I think I read that they just planned it to be a demo and recorded it as such, then just decided to release it instead.

Edit: Yep.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/stevie-ray-vaughan-texas-flood/
Texas Flood recorded in one live take. Wow.

I always liked Hammond’s big ass smile on the back cover.

b3777493a5029aa7d67e32533a31cd88.jpg

Slightly different take:

099cdf7ed7ee2607146481f0da4914b3.jpg
  • Like 2