Cord Cutters Thread

Are they giving these boxes away, selling them, or leasing them for $12 per month?  If it's the latter or the one in the middle, it kind of gets away from the spirit of the other streaming services where you don't have to dump cash on every box for every TV. 
/asking for a friend

Yeah. Who knows what their end game is regarding this box. I read a few articles that this box will have android on it and probably allow you to download apps via some App Store.

Im receiving the box free for this beta test, but who knows what they’ll do after that.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Longhorn Fever said:

I just noticed Amazon has come out with an OTR DVR called the Fire TV Recast. The 2-tuner 500GB/75hr version retails for $229 and the 4-tuner 1TB/150hr version is $279. You use it in conjunction with a Fire TV or mobile app. They also have a bundle with the 2-tuner version, a new 4K FireTV Stick and a "35-mile" HD antenna for $249.

I know that there have been some similar items out there a while. For me, I very rarely want to DVR one of the OTA networks. However, this might be of use to some.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Recast-over-air-hours/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ods_gw_dg2_smp_fk_100318

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3MKT3G/ref=fk_dp_hqp

61fu-d71EoL._SL1000_.jpg

I missed this when posted in October.  I didn’t realize that it allows you to place the antenna and fire recast device wherever the antenna gets the best reception, and then the fire tv device (stick, cube, tv) doesnt have to be connected via wire to the antenna or recast.   So it doesn’t just record OTA content, it streams live OTA over the internet for you.  And up to 5 fire tv devices can be connected.  This helps for someone that doesn’t want to rewire their house for OTA coax.  I admit that was a bit of a pain for me.

One step further could be someone (amazon?) having a central antenna(s) in your city and connecting your fire recast device to it.  Then you stream it to your house.   Or is that too close to Aereo, who was shut down for something similar?

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
On 10/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Longhorn Fever said:

I missed this when posted in October.  I didn’t realize that it allows you to place the antenna and fire recast device wherever the antenna gets the best reception, and then the fire tv device (stick, cube, tv) doesnt have to be connected via wire to the antenna or recast.   So it doesn’t just record OTA content, it streams live OTA over the internet for you.  And up to 5 fire tv devices can be connected.  This helps for someone that doesn’t want to rewire their house for OTA coax.  I admit that was a bit of a pain for me.

This is what Tablo does as well.  Connect antenna to box and box to internet.  Stream to app on fire tv.  Add usb hard drive to use DVR function. 

I've been waiting in 78748 as well. I asked the online chat help about it recently and this is the response I got:

"While I do see some very recent progress on the back end, our construction team is still working on resolving an unforeseen delay in that last step of construction we talked about. Until they have this fully resolved, we wouldn't be able to estimate that completion time frame. The only thing I could suggest here is reaching back out periodically as you have to check for new updates from our construction team we can then relay to you. It's also worth noting that when this is resolved, and you are connected to our network, you will be emailed asking you to schedule your installation.

I can only thank you for being so patient as we bring Fiber to you. I am actually in a very similar situation too far in North Austin waiting almost a year myself. This is definitely not typical, and I'm hoping we both get connected soon!"

Edited by hornfan785

During the game on Saturday (ABC), I got home a bit late and tried to start the game from the beginning on the PSVUE DVR, but it only would play it live.  No rewind and no start from the beginning.  Is it just because it was ABC, or is there a trick to get it to work?

Exclusive Holiday Discount  Only for TiVo Friends & Family

Save up to $300 on top TiVo devices and service plans.

At TiVo, friends and family like you are always on the top of our gift list. So for a limited time only, we're sharing our employee service discount with you. Find everything that makes TV amazing – from all-in-one live, recording and streaming devices to the TiVo Mini VOX™ extension – right now, for a steal.

Offer ends December 18th, 2018 or while supplies last.

• TiVo BOLT OTA for antenna with all-in (lifetime) service plan is $399.98

• TiVo-renewed Roamio OTA 1TB is $249.99
    • Doesn't explicitly say if it includes the lifetime service...but it might at that price

Roamio includes lifetime. Bolt is monthly 6 dollar fee iirc.

My roamio just bricked friday night. Dtvn doesn't get my locals but hulu does and so I've been testing it the last few days. Clearly not as many channels as dtvn and I'd be losing 5$hbo that i only need for thrones

Any hulu users here or former have any .02 to add on their experience? I really don't wanna spend 250 dollars for a roamio when i can get those stations with a different cord cutter service for what i'm paying already.

One thing i like is hulus dvr is generations better than that beta pathetic excuse of a DVR dtvn has

20 hours ago, The University said:

Exclusive Holiday Discount  Only for TiVo Friends & Family

• TiVo BOLT OTA for antenna with all-in (lifetime) service plan is $399.98

• TiVo-renewed Roamio OTA 1TB is $249.99
    • Doesn't explicitly say if it includes the lifetime service...but it might at that price

Must use promo code from email to get those prices. 

Roamio includes lifetime. Bolt is monthly 6 dollar fee iirc.

My roamio just bricked friday night. Dtvn doesn't get my locals but hulu does and so I've been testing it the last few days. Clearly not as many channels as dtvn and I'd be losing 5$hbo that i only need for thrones

Any hulu users here or former have any .02 to add on their experience? I really don't wanna spend 250 dollars for a roamio when i can get those stations with a different cord cutter service for what i'm paying already.

One thing i like is hulus dvr is generations better than that beta pathetic excuse of a DVR dtvn has

Dont know if this helps you at all, but I was having a hell of a time getting my locals. Turns out directv uses your zip and ip address. My zip was in a different location than my ip address. I was able to change my billing address thanks to a friend. Ip address and zip now match. Only time I get an issue is when I stream to my phone (gps) I cant always get a local. But I use Amazon fire stick and I'm good.

Edit: I'm on Dtv now.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Dont know if this helps you at all, but I was having a hell of a time getting my locals. Turns out directv uses your zip and ip address. My zip was in a different location than my ip address. I was able to change my billing address thanks to a friend. Ip address and zip now match. Only time I get an issue is when I stream to my phone (gps) I cant always get a local. But I use Amazon fire stick and I'm good.

Edit: I'm on Dtv now.

thanks. they flat out dont have contracts with our locals(is that how they do this?) the closest market would be Minneapolis which i dont want.

Im gonna give a hulu a whirl. Itll be nice to no longer have to switch sources between OTA and DTVN and can have just 1 apple tv remote to worry about instead of 3.

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm sure it's been asked, but does anyone have experience with OTA DVRs? I'd like something that can record off an antenna and then be played back on our Roku devices. Looks like there's one called Tablo. Any others?

Not sure what would work with your Roku devices, I know Tivo has an OTA DVR, but the best is probably Amazon's Fire TV recast, but you need Fire TV's and not Roku's. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:10 PM, texas08 said:

59b951dc9e9c96f46b914851a057f932.jpg

Just got mine last night. I like it alright. Obviously, the biggest drawback is that this box is lacking Netflix and Amazon Prime. The biggest problem I am having is that the auto-programming for the remote almost got it right. It turns my TV and the box off, but will not turn my TV on. I can't find programming instructions to do it manually.

Speaking of the remote, I don't like the left to right oriented volume buttons. It would have been nice to have dedicated channel up/down buttons instead of using the d-pad/touchpad.

I have gotten used to scrolling through channels/networks alphabetically on my Apple TV and Fire devices. It is nice that this unit now shows channel numbers and allows them to be entered with the numeric keypad. However, if you select to display the channels with an alpha sort, the channel numbers disappear on the guide. It's gonna take me a while to learn numbers.If you move from a DirecTV satellite tuner, it looks like maybe the channel numbers are the same.

I don’t fully understand the benefit of using a device that is basically locking you into working with 1 streaming service.  I understand they could potentially add some extra functionality into it but it also serves to keep you from switching services.   And whether you are directly or indirectly paying for that device , it ain’t free. 

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t fully understand the benefit of using a device that is basically locking you into working with 1 streaming service.  I understand they could potentially add some extra functionality into it but it also serves to keep you from switching services.   And whether you are directly or indirectly paying for that device , it ain’t free. 

I agree with you. This box runs on Android TV and has the google Play store available. You can install Android apps. However, Netflix and Amazon have not authorized their services.

This is just a beta piece of equipment. Some things I have seen are that this is probably a test for tuners to be used with "normal" DirecTV services that they are performing with DirecTV Now subscribers. The thought is that this equipment, or its future iterations, will allow customers with high-speed internet to do a self install. Rural customers will still likely need a dish and professional installation. What is not clear is when this tech is finalized is if the tuners will be leased or sold outright and whether they will require a monthly equipment fee as satellite and cable companies are wont to add.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, tokamak said:

I'm sure it's been asked, but does anyone have experience with OTA DVRs? I'd like something that can record off an antenna and then be played back on our Roku devices. Looks like there's one called Tablo. Any others?

On 12/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

Not sure what would work with your Roku devices, I know Tivo has an OTA DVR, but the best is probably Amazon's Fire TV recast, but you need Fire TV's and not Roku's. 

I have a Roku and had a Tablo. 

My experience with a Tablo was mixed. It's easy to setup and the app is straightforward. But it had trouble streaming to my Roku - buffering, drops, etc. And it's expensive - you are paying $200 and still need a USB drive. 

In the end, I returned the Tablo and bought a $30 box off Amazon that connects via HDMI to the TV. The interface is horrible but it's $30.

5 minutes ago, zman13 said:

I have a Roku and had a Tablo. 

My experience with a Tablo was mixed. It's easy to setup and the app is straightforward. But it had trouble streaming to my Roku - buffering, drops, etc. And it's expensive - you are paying $200 and still need a USB drive. 

In the end, I returned the Tablo and bought a $30 box off Amazon that connects via HDMI to the TV. The interface is horrible but it's $30.

I ended up picking up a Tablo and will give it a shot. Amazon just came out with their solution for this ("Recast" or something). It gets great reviews but of course only works with Fire TVs. We're a Roku household currently after switching over from Amazon a couple years ago. Now I can't remember why we switched and am considering switching back because the consensus on the internet seems to be that Recast is better than Tablo (and it doesn't have any monthly fees).

I am not up to date all all the new technology, so I have no idea what some of you are talking about, so here’s what I have going on and hopefully someone can help me. 

I have a lake house. I just got WiFi set up and bought a smart TV (Samsung), but looks like I can only get the apps that came on the TV (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc).  I was hoping to use my ESPN, ATTwatchTV, SpectrumTV apps to get some type of live programming, but can’t figure out how to get to those apps on the TV (and doesn’t sound like that’s possible).  

It does have a screen mirroring option, but looks like that’s for Samsung phones and I have an IPhone (but forgot to try the screen mirroring option when WiFi was set up). If I can get the screen mirroring to work, then that would be good enough as I can just play my apps on the phone (although it does tie up the phone). 

Sounds like AppleTV is an option, but hate to spend another $150 when I already have the apps I need  

Any cheap/easy ideas?  My wife is already on my ass for spending “entertainment” money on a place we go maybe 4-6 days a month. 

Found this possible solution online for about $25.....Lightning Digital AV Adapter.  Seems like that would be a “manual screen mirroring”. 

Shit...now I’m not sure. The description says it won’t work with the paid apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc)because they are encrypted. Not sure if that includes ESPN, Spectrum or ATT, but I guess I’ll buy one at Wal Mart and it it doesn’t work, I’ll just take it back. 

Edited by EZ$

29 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Found this possible solution online for about $25.....Lightning Digital AV Adapter.  Seems like that would be a “manual screen mirroring”. 

Shit...now I’m not sure. The description says it won’t work with the paid apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc)because they are encrypted. Not sure if that includes ESPN, Spectrum or ATT, but I guess I’ll buy one at Wal Mart and it it doesn’t work, I’ll just take it back. 

I don't have a smart TV, but I'd be pretty surprised if there's no way to add more apps. Five seconds of Googling tells me there's something called "Samsung Hub" that may be what you're looking for.

If that's not the case, and there are more apps that you need, the easiest, cheapest solution is going to be a streaming stick. Roku or Amazon Fire. Probably set you back $30-ish, plugs straight into the TV's HDMI port, and connects to your Wifi. Something like that will have all the apps you'd ever need.

Just got mine last night. I like it alright. Obviously, the biggest drawback is that this box is lacking Netflix and Amazon Prime. The biggest problem I am having is that the auto-programming for the remote almost got it right. It turns my TV and the box off, but will not turn my TV on. I can't find programming instructions to do it manually.

Speaking of the remote, I don't like the left to right oriented volume buttons. It would have been nice to have dedicated channel up/down buttons instead of using the d-pad/touchpad.

I have gotten used to scrolling through channels/networks alphabetically on my Apple TV and Fire devices. It is nice that this unit now shows channel numbers and allows them to be entered with the numeric keypad. However, if you select to display the channels with an alpha sort, the channel numbers disappear on the guide. It's gonna take me a while to learn numbers.If you move from a DirecTV satellite tuner, it looks like maybe the channel numbers are the same.

The remote auto-programmed to my tv in a very creepy way. That was nice. On and off like nothing (both box and tv).

I prefer the alpha sort, I’m not gonna learn channel numbers. I’d rather just look for the name of the channel. Also, I like that the guide scrolls “infinitely” so no more having to scroll all the way up when you hit the bottom of the guide.

No gdamn last button is just stupid.

Between using my Samsung Smart Hub or Apple TV (or Roku), I haven't used the Samsung interface in over a year.  It performed significantly worse.   The low end Roku, Fire or Google devices are usually less than $30.  I imagine they're practically free on Ebay.  Ask around and I bet a friend has one sitting around unused they will give you.

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

The remote auto-programmed to my tv in a very creepy way. That was nice. On and off like nothing (both box and tv).

I prefer the alpha sort, I’m not gonna learn channel numbers. I’d rather just look for the name of the channel. Also, I like that the guide scrolls “infinitely” so no more having to scroll all the way up when you hit the bottom of the guide.

No gdamn last button is just stupid.

I think the problem may actually be with my Panasonic TVs. CEC between my AppleTV and our other Panny doesn't always work, come to think of it.

The lack of a Last channel button is a glaring omission. I set the remote to work as a touchpad instead of just a D-pad. Not sure I like that setting. It may be a little more frustrating than my AppleTV remote in that regards. The center part of the pad, the OK, button really should be more pronounced. When I go to click it, I am sometimes a little off center and move the cursor off my selection.

I do like that the infinite scroll on the guide. Oddly enough, I noticed the DirecTV app on our FireTV stick has done that since earlier this year. I wish the app on the AppleTV worked that way, but still have to scroll from top top bottom, or bottom to top rather than the infinite loop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, BNB said:

You should compare services to see what you get on each one.

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/streaming-tv-comparison-best-channel-lineup/

That's a pretty recent article.

How much do you pay now?  

1. Try out a cheap antenna from walmart, and go from there.  https://www.antennaweb.org/  I tend to trust .org sites more than others...

3. You can get a fire tv, or maybe a roku for $20-35 for every tv that will play any app.

5.  Get an Antenna from Walmart and see how your reception is.  Take it back if it sucks (antenna).

6. I have DirectTv now and HBO is $5 a month.  But if you have Att Unlimited all the way, I think it is free and you get $15 off DTV Now. Only Downside is no NBC in Austin. Comes with only a 20 hr DVR, which is fine for me as I catalog tv shows through other means.

7. You should be able to get a free trial to any service to see if you like it. 

In my opinion Cord Cutting is mainly about cost, channels,  then ease of use and menu ease, then Dvr(Or higher based on use). 

DVR, I just got a 4 tuner Network TV Tuner for local channels.  I thought setting up a DVR would be easy for that for free, but I was mistaken (It may be on a windows PC, I am trying on my linux server, or Android TV, and there are a lot of things to do, and I will post them when I figure it out.)

Like I stated in another post, the cheapest is a refurbished HDHomerun...

You can buy a HDHomerun, and pay another $35/yr to record whatever you want over the air to your PC for an easy setup.

Bought the TiVo bolt OTA.  Have already returned it  

Using the Amazon Recast with good results for an OTA DVR

Use PSVue during football season. 

Has the most sports by far and has the red zone channel and cloud DVR. 

Havr tried Direct TV Now, YouTube TV and sling. PSVue is hands down the winner for football season and it’s not remotely close. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 12/4/2018 at 10:03 PM, dcbc said:

During the game on Saturday (ABC), I got home a bit late and tried to start the game from the beginning on the PSVUE DVR, but it only would play it live.  No rewind and no start from the beginning.  Is it just because it was ABC, or is there a trick to get it to work?

i noticed this for the saturday night okie state game, you have to use OTA antenna to watch the game since it was on local channels.  This even though VUE has local channels.  Some sporting events are blacked out on VUE or seemed to be.  I missed the first part of the game because my OTA was unplugged and wouldn't pull ABC.  Got it plugged in just in time to see the rest, 2nd half, of that shitshow first quarter.    Never checked to see if it was on DVR later.  Same for CCG though.

HoHoHo checking in after a successful mission tonight.

I am not up to date all all the new technology, so I have no idea what some of you are talking about, so here’s what I have going on and hopefully someone can help me. 
I have a lake house. I just got WiFi set up and bought a smart TV (Samsung), but looks like I can only get the apps that came on the TV (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc).  I was hoping to use my ESPN, ATTwatchTV, SpectrumTV apps to get some type of live programming, but can’t figure out how to get to those apps on the TV (and doesn’t sound like that’s possible).  
It does have a screen mirroring option, but looks like that’s for Samsung phones and I have an IPhone (but forgot to try the screen mirroring option when WiFi was set up). If I can get the screen mirroring to work, then that would be good enough as I can just play my apps on the phone (although it does tie up the phone). 
Sounds like AppleTV is an option, but hate to spend another $150 when I already have the apps I need  
Any cheap/easy ideas?  My wife is already on my ass for spending “entertainment” money on a place we go maybe 4-6 days a month. 

You bought an entire lake house and are fretting over $150?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

You bought an entire lake house and are fretting over $150?

Cord cutting is not solely about being frugal or cheap.  It’s more about minimalism and not wasting products/services.   If you already have tv apps that can do the job of the Apple TV, it’s fair to think about not buying an Apple TV.   

I just got a roku ultra box and love it so far.  One question, the roku remote will automatically switch my tv's input to the roku when I press the ok button on it.  Is there a quicker way to automatically switch back to my dish receiver's input than changing my tv's input with the dish or tv remote?  The roku remote can't do it, can it?  It doesn't appear the dish remote can do it like the roku remote can.

Edited by kevwun

So it looks like the streaming services have reached the point where they are no longer cheaper than cable or satellite.  Vue is the only one where I can get all of the channel I wants and that package is $80 with a couple more subscriptions required.  I do keep finding more and more stuff to like about the roku.  It is an awesome device and I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

So it looks like the streaming services have reached the point where they are no longer cheaper than cable or satellite.  Vue is the only one where I can get all of the channels I want and that package is $80 with a couple more subscriptions required.  I do keep finding more and more stuff to like about the roku.  It is an awesome device and I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago.

So it looks like the streaming services have reached the point where they are no longer cheaper than cable or satellite.  Vue is the only one where I can get all of the channel I wants and that package is $80 with a couple more subscriptions required.  I do keep finding more and more stuff to like about the roku.  It is an awesome device and I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago.
Wow.

What exact channels do you need?

I like hulu right now. 43/mo for live tv+their hulu shit. All locals, ESPN's, fox sports shit, turner plus Disney and wife channels. No nfl network but whatever.

DVR works good too. Better than the direct tv now bullshit.

Wow.

I like hulu right now. 43/mo for live tv+their hulu shit. All locals, ESPN's, fox sports shit, turner plus Disney and wife channels. No nfl network but whatever.

I just signed up last night and haven’t tried the dvr yet so that’s good to hear. Looking forward to shipping the directv shit back to them soon.

I just signed up last night and haven’t tried the dvr yet so that’s good to hear. Looking forward to shipping the directv shit back to them soon.

Yeah part of the point of cord-cutting is to purge a lot of those channels you don’t need. You’ll be surprised how much you don’t miss them, and won’t even notice they’re gone after a few days.

IMO the best thing about cord cutting isn't necessarily the cost, it's the flexibility. I signed up for Sling to get ESPN for bowl season. $25 to watch all the bowls plus whatever other random shit for a month is a good deal. Then when football is over, if my wife isn't watching something, I'll just cancel it which takes about 10 seconds on their website.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wow.

If you want HBO and Showtime, you either get the biggest Vue package or add them individually for 20 or 30 bucks a month.  We watch stuff on a variety of networks and by the time you add all of those together, we would end up paying the same if not more.