They Shall Not Grow Old - peter jackson documentary about the great war

futureman

https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/

heard about this on the ticket a couple days ago.  peter jackson went to the british imperial war museum and looked at hundreds of hours of old world war I footage and then had his hatchet men put it in HD and added color.  then he had lip-readers try and determine what the soldiers were saying in the clips and dubbed in sound and dialogue to the original footage.  the result is pretty amazing and can be seen in the youtube above and the movie poster below.  oh and he also has actual world war I veterans narrating the film using audio clips taken from real interviews done with war veterans in the 1960s before they died.  the whole thing blows my fucking mind and I just cannot wait to see it.  I may listen to “blueprint for armageddon” in its entirety again before watching.  

TheyShallnotgrowOldposterbig59901.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

One night only?? Wonder if it will be released to Netflix.

yeah if you go to the link it’s a british site; the october 16 theater release is UK only, as bluto said.  after looking around for a minute I can’t find when it’s being released in the USA but would imagine it will definitely be streaming on a major platform. 

• 2 months later...

A techie friend was able to get me a copy that I could stream on my iPad.  Its an amazing achievement.  The narrations is what makes it.

ps:  Grandfather was a doughboy (Sargeant).  Fought in battle a St-Mihiel.  Discharged at Camp Sherman in Ohio June 8, 1919.  Got a $102.08 bonus.

• Like 1

From 2014 to November of this year I read as many world war I books as I could fit in. No matter how much you read, it's just not the same as seeing video of the people fighting the war looking right at the camera knowing they're going to die.   

the part after the movie where Peter Jackson talks about making it is also fantastic.

Not for everyone, but if you're an educated person A+. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:35 PM, bluto said:

Going to non 3D (f 3D) showing in a few minutes. Between dan carlins series and reading Dead Wake last week, I'm so in. Damn strange feeling seeing a documentary knowing every single person in it is now dead. 

Dead Wake is such a good book.  Guys, if the era interests you pick this one up.  It's about the sinking of the Lusitania.  Also, "A Storm in Flanders" is a must read.

Dead Wake is really good.  

I've been relistening Blueprint for Armageddon for the 3rd time I think.  

I knew Jack shit about WW1 before Carlin now for me it's much more interesting than WW2.

Also if you liked Dead Wake by Larson be sure to read Isaac's Storm about the Galveston Hurricane.  For me it was a better book.

• Like 3

If you like WWI stuff, you need to watch the movie Beneath Hill 60. It’s about Australian miners that were brought in to dig a tunnel under the German position at the battle of Messines.

They laid a million pounds of ammonium nitrate under their position. The engineering of this was one of the most remarkable in history and one of the most difficult tasks ever undertaken by anyone. It killed something like 10,000 German soldiers all at once.

Here is a link to a guy explaining the battle with pics of the actual explosion and a link to the movie.

Link to the whole movie for free!

• Like 4

review

Worse, the film is yet another erasure of soldiers of color who are nowhere to be found in what is otherwise a postmodern take on documentary filmmaking. It’s not just a missed opportunity for They Shall Not Grow Old to “diversify” the past in more ways than one, it’s also an inexcusable offense against those British soldiers who continue to be ignored despite their sacrifices.

I read the only negative review of the film from rottentomatoes and saw this quote.  it’s the basis for the negative review.

I don’t know the answer so I’m asking if anyone does... how many soldiers of color were fighting for britain in the early 20th century?

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

review

I don’t know the answer so I’m asking if anyone does... how many soldiers of color were fighting for britain in the early 20th century?

It's hard to get a good record of how many British (i.e. from the UK) black soldiers fought in WWI, but there were by some estimates at least 15,000.  However, blacks from Britain's (at that time) many African, Asian, and Caribbean colonies numbered well over 200,000 during the course of the war.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

It's hard to get a good record of how many British (i.e. from the UK) black soldiers fought in WWI, but there were by some estimates at least 15,000.  However, blacks from Britain's (at that time) many African, Asian, and Caribbean colonies numbered well over 200,000 during the course of the war.

I would not have guessed that.  thank you. 

Got to see this  last week on the 17th. Damn good flick. Originally it was only supposed to be a couple of theaters in the Austin area but luckily it was shown in multiple. Hopefully that is the case for the 27th. Definitely worth seeing and if you do go, stay for the 30 minutes after where Peter Jackson talks about how they adapted the movie from the archival footage. 

Edited by BillyGoatHill

16 hours ago, futureman said:

review

I read the only negative review of the film from rottentomatoes and saw this quote.  it’s the basis for the negative review.

Well, in fairness to the Brit’s they really didn’t care what color their cannon fodder was. Besides black men, they had no problem sending white Australian’s, Irish, Scot’s as well. As they cared more about the tactical advantage of having warm bodies that were not part of the Crown’s extended ruling apparatus that would willingly die for them. And subsequently not impact the lives of those whose status that they wished to protect back home during the conflict.  

I saw this yesterday.  It was quite remarkable.  I'd urge anyone with a passing interest in WWI history to see it.

Pros:  Damn near everything.  The soldiers tell their own stories and you get to see incredible never before seen footage, and footage you've seen many times colorized.  Seeing it all at real life speed (rather than herky-jerky, hand cranked variable speed) is immediately impressive. Not to mention the "how to" by Peter Jackson himself before and after the main showing.

Cons:  There was a bit of repetition in some of the imagery that felt less like driving points home (as I'm sure it was intended) and more like "we don't have enough footage to tell the story, so let's reuse a bit."  That's a pretty thin critique but it's the only thing I could think of.

As Jackson alludes to in his discussion afterwards, there is so much cool stuff they had access to which is left out.  They focused primarily on the front line solider, giving a generic description (i.e, they didn't get bogged down in an old army regular of 1914 vs. a conscript of 1917 or 18).  This left huge swathes of story untold (the air war, the war at sea, colonial troops, as has been mentioned already).  Jackson was aware of this, clearly.  He's such a WWI fanatic one can only hope he comes back to those at some point.

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I saw this yesterday.  It was quite remarkable.  I'd urge anyone with a passing interest in WWI history to see it.

Pros:  Damn near everything.  The soldiers tell their own stories and you get to see incredible never before seen footage, and footage you've seen many times colorized.  Seeing it all at real life speed (rather than herky-jerky, hand cranked variable speed) is immediately impressive. Not to mention the "how to" by Peter Jackson himself before and after the main showing.

Cons:  There was a bit of repetition in some of the imagery that felt less like driving points home (as I'm sure it was intended) and more like "we don't have enough footage to tell the story, so let's reuse a bit."  That's a pretty thin critique but it's the only thing I could think of.

As Jackson alludes to in his discussion afterwards, there is so much cool stuff they had access to which is left out.  They focused primarily on the front line solider, giving a generic description (i.e, they didn't get bogged down in an old army regular of 1914 vs. a conscript of 1917 or 18).  This left huge swathes of story untold (the air war, the war at sea, colonial troops, as has been mentioned already).  Jackson was aware of this, clearly.  He's such a WWI fanatic one can only hope he comes back to those at some point.

All of this.  It was great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok.  Looks like I'm going to be the last to chime in on this.  

I don't really know what I expected going in.   The scope of material is so large I didn't know how he would be able to widdle it down.  

I've read a half dozen books or so about the war and listened to HH 3x. I have a pretty good 10000-foot view of what happened.  But at 10000 feet you don't see the people's faces.  Their smiles and terror.  

PJ was masterful at this.  It was breathtaking at points and heart-wrenching at others.  It was only 90 minutes but I was spent afterward.  

These were just boys and men like you and I.  They know they have to go up and over and their probably not gonna make it.  These moments are wonderfully captured. They devastated my wife.

Stay for the interview at the end.  

Also I loved the song at the end Mademoiselle From Armentieres.  

5 stars

• Like 1

Just watched this in Manhattan. Absolutely stunning to see. The years of work that went into this were well worth it. The thirty minutes Jackson spent talking about it after it ended were entertaining. He got several laughs from the audience. Overall I would recommend everyone see this at some point. 

I also concur on the song at the end being great as noted above. The fellas he got to sing it and how it happened is pretty funny.

Edited by UpperWestside

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wider release in February. It’s done better than they expected so it’ll be running more dates, etc. 

I am glad they will be doing a bigger release. More people need to see this and realize what war really is like. That scene on the Sunken Road is haunting. That look of fear on that one young man's face will stay with me. I would have been as big a mess as he was. I will go back and see it again if they show it here. So many of our modern issues as a world can be traced to that war. 

I also can't get that song out of my head. Pretty catchy.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

So many of our modern issues as a world can be traced to that war. 

Two Netflix docs by a British professor, David Reynolds, that you should see. 

Long Shadow - 3hrs - Puts it in historical context, and how people actually felt about It at the time, and not what we think they felt about it. 

Armistice - 1hr - puts the end in modern context 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3