Texas State fires Everett Withers - Jake Spavital WVU OC hired

Machinator

On 11/18/2018 at 5:42 PM, Js1 said:

Only cuz ISU ain’t making the Big 12 CCG after last night! 

Actually Incarnate Word made the FCS playoffs.  They went from being a crappy D2 start up to a real crappy FCS school who had to wait two years to be championship eligible to now making the fricken playoffs in their first year of eligibility.   Go figure.   They also benefited from Sam Houston and McNeese St having a down season.

Iowa State will be playing Drake next week.   Should be a real doozy.  

SBNATION......

5. Why Texas State is a slightly better gig than you realize

Yes, it’s in the Sun Belt. Yes, it’s only been in FBS since 2012. Yes, it’s only had one winning season and never been to a bowl.

But the location will make it attractive to a young coach. It’s not like UTEP. It’s right between Austin and San Antonio.

It’s also in a slightly better place revenue-wise than its peers. Per USA Today, the Bobcats’ athletic department generated $38.4 million in revenue last year. That’s $6 million more than North Texas, $10 million more than UTSA, and $24 million more than UT-Arlington (a non-football school). There’s money in the banana stand in San Marcos.

That is due in large part to the student fees allocated to the athletic program for a school with the third-largest enrollment in the Sun Belt and on the higher end of schools in the state (34,000 students).

That tells coaches there’s money to pay assistants, key to recruiting when you’re trying to build a program.

A name that could be on the radar is Nebraska offensive line coach Greg Austin. He’s never been a coordinator, which means there would be some questions about whether he’d be in over his head, but he has the energetic profile (while coaching at UCF, he earned two master’s degrees in business) you like for a head coach at a G5 program looking for a foothold.

His schematic background (under Scott Frost and Chip Kelly), youth (34), and Texas roots (from a Houston suburb) mean he could be a fit, but prying him from his alma mater wouldn’t be easy.

It would be a departure from Everett Withers, whose ties weren’t in the state (very important in Texas) and didn’t do himself any favors with the alumni base.

Where it wouldn’t be a departure is in the fact that Austin is also black. Hiring two black coaches back to back is a rarity.

Although [Scottie] Montgomery and [Charlie] Strong followed black head coaches at their current roles, that’s the exception. A 2015 study by FootballScoop.com found that, dating back to 2000, 29 black FBS coaches have changed jobs, and only five had black successors. Strong became the sixth, when he replaced Willie Taggart at USF.

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I doubt a backwards move would help in any of their sports.

The problem appears to be more of an institutional one where athletics takes a low priority.    

Exactly. If they aren't going to invest in what it takes to be somewhat competitive, might as well drop down where the costs aren't as high. You'll still languish around but won't be pissing money they don't have.

• immamac changed the title to Texas State fires Everett Withers - Jake Spavital WVU OC hired
2 minutes ago, Escapedgoat said:

Too bad UTSA didn't fire their clown of a coach. Wilson sucks. I hope Texas State and this guy drop 90 points on UTSA if Wilson remains there.

This is OUR house.

<insert UTSA orange Come and Take it Flag.gif>

I was at the LaTech game in the dome this year. LaTech definitely came and took it.

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Spav was making $500K.  Withers was making $800K.

Plus, he doesn't have to be the DD for his boss any more.

Wow, didn't think it was that low.  I guess holgo still runs the show, and they didn't feel the need to give him a raise.  Or Spav just wants to run his own program.whatever.

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wow, didn't think it was that low.  I guess holgo still runs the show, and they didn't feel the need to give him a raise.  Or Spav just wants to run his own program.whatever.

[stirringthepot]Or maybe Spav knows that Holgo ain't hangin' around[/stirringthepot]

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't who in their right mind would take the Texas State job with the idiot they have running the AD's office right now?  He makes Steve Patterson look like a fricken genius.  Especially if they have career advancement on their minds.  

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't who in their right mind would take the Texas State job with the idiot they have running the AD's office right now?  He makes Steve Patterson look like a fricken genius.  Especially if they have career advancement on their minds.  

the seat under Holgar is a lot hotter than most people think so getting out of there for probably a close to 100% raise and 3 or 4 years guaranteed seems like a no brainer for a guy that has been a career knock around coordinator

it is not like their AD is all that involved, shit he did not even know the players names so he clearly is not sniffing around the program getting in the way

and watching Texas State they had some talent (for their level of conference) they just seemed to always get on a roll and then shit the bed and it all fell apart.....that is a bit surprising considering their coach had success other places, but he was not a popular hire with a lot of the fans and a lot of the players were #TeamLittleDebbie and like Kevin Steele will tell you it only takes a couple of games of shitting the bed before it becomes infectious

Withers started off doing some dumb shit on his own as well and that seemed to be a hurdle he could not get over

the Sunbelt has Arkansas State, Louisiana and whichever GSU it is that have had some success on a pretty consistent basis, but after that if Texas State can get a few wins and get on a roll they should be able to finally get in a bowl game and then they will have something to really build on

Edited by ButtFumble

2 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the seat under Holgar is a lot hotter than most people think so getting out of there for probably a close to 100% raise and 3 or 4 years guaranteed seems like a no brainer for a guy that has been a career knock around coordinator

it is not like their AD is all that involved, shit he did not even know the players names so he clearly is not sniffing around the program getting in the way

and watching Texas State they had some talent (for their level of conference) they just seemed to always get on a roll and then shit the bed and it all fell apart.....that is a bit surprising considering their coach had success other places, but he was not a popular hire with a lot of the fans and a lot of the players were #TeamLittleDebbie and like Kevin Steele will tell you it only takes a couple of games of shitting the bed before it becomes infectious

Withers started off doing some dumb shit on his own as well and that seemed to be a hurdle he could not get over

the Sunbelt has Arkansas State, Louisiana and whichever GSU it is that have had some success on a pretty consistent basis, but after that if Texas state can get a few wins and get on a roll they should be able to finally get in a bowl game and then they will have something to really build on

I  guess it's possible?  I still think they've greatly underperformed on the athletic fields/courts considering all the positives going on with the campus and San Marcos itself.

One mistake on top of others I think they've made is the Sun Belt.  No other Texas teams which means ho hum conference scheduling.   IF they would have joined Conference USA, they  would of had UTSA down the road as a rival, UTEP and UNT.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

One mistake on top of others I think they've made is the Sun Belt.  No other Texas teams which means ho hum conference scheduling.   IF they would have joined Conference USA, they  would of had UTSA down the road as a rival, UTEP and UNT.   

I want to say that I remember that TxState didn't get a Conference USA invite.. so it wasn't their decision to make. Now that probably is on the AD to make a harder push for it, but if you don't get the invite, you don't get to decide.

13 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I  guess it's possible?  I still think they've greatly underperformed on the athletic fields/courts considering all the positives going on with the campus and San Marcos itself.

the whole "other Texas teams" is just bullshit fans will show up for wins not losses to "Texas rivals"

north Texas state likes to push that "need to be with other Texas teams" bullshit and they pushed it for a decade while their best teams in decades were alone in the Sunbelt

while some would say "well they are having their best teams evAR now in the CUSA with other Texas teams" you can also look at those other three Texas teams also in CUSA and see they all totally suck cocks so "playing with each other" is not really proving to be a great benefit to any of them and I am of the strong theory (proven by long term history of past and present G5 and P5 conferences) that too many teams in the same state in the same conference eventually drags all those teams down and makes it hard for them to have sustained success

UTEP was much better off in the WAC, TCU powered into the BE then the Big 12 by avoiding SMU and UH like the plague

UTSA had their best years in the WAC before moving to the CUSA

I agree to some degree that Texas State COULD be having better success, but that is not just something that you get because you are a large school in a really beautiful college town with a shit load of hot girls and pretty decent facilities

all of those things help, but when you have other programs starting up and moving up both D1-AA and D1-A and even lower level programs moving up all around you that is a lot of competition for coaches and even more so players

I think long term if Texas State can get to a bowl game or two in a row they will have a much easier time sustaining that level of play in the Sunbelt Vs in CUSA

and as pointed out Texas State was never ASK to be in the CUSA so they had no choice and sadly many of their fans are just too dumb to grasp that....I personally think the real fuck up (besides UTEP moving to CUSA) was UTSA turning down the invite they had in hand to the MWC specifically so they could beat their meat with mostly shitty other Texas programs and offer recruits basically the "same thing different city" as 3 other Texas CUSA programs

Edited by ButtFumble

12 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I want to say that I remember that TxState didn't get a Conference USA invite.. so it wasn't their decision to make. Now that probably is on the AD to make a harder push for it, but if you don't get the invite, you don't get to decide.

Got it.   I didn't recall the politics at the time.  

26 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Jesus christ, he's getting in the way by not providing the resources they need.  Read the @Keff_C tweet threads.  

Start with this one: